PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have "graduated" or "transition" bangs?

Kayleena
August 29th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Hi, everyone! :) Does anyone here have bangs that are short across the forehead but then are longer on each side of the face? I had been thinking that I might want face-framing layers, but now I think what I want are just some longer bangs/fringe on each side that are shoulder-length so that I can choose to either curl them for when the rest of my hair is back/up or tie them up/back with the rest of my hair. I would also keep my light layer of shorter bangs/fringe across my large forehead to soften it. Also, can anyone point me to directions on how to achieve this myself if I am not able to explain it to my stylist? I'm a hair idiot. :bluesmile Thank you in advance.

Magicknthenight
August 29th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Hi, everyone! :) Does anyone here have bangs that are short across the forehead but then are longer on each side of the face? I had been thinking that I might want face-framing layers, but now I think what I want are just some longer bangs/fringe on each side that are shoulder-length so that I can choose to either curl them for when the rest of my hair is back/up or tie them up/back with the rest of my hair. I would also keep my light layer of shorter bangs/fringe across my large forehead to soften it. Also, can anyone point me to directions on how to achieve this myself if I am not able to explain it to my stylist? I'm a hair idiot. :bluesmile Thank you in advance.

If you can find some pictures and tell the stylist what you just said there...i think that just about gets the picture across. Well...i suppose i have this...naturally that is..
I get my bangs cut straight across but as they grow out the sides are always longer. I dunno maybe they grow faster.
That's a good idea though. I'm trying to grow out my bangs but may cut them at any moment.
good luck with the stylist. (just make sure they know exactly
what you want and talk to you about it :o)

Carolyn
August 29th, 2008, 10:55 PM
That's pretty much how I grew out my bangs. I let the side grow first and kept a few center wisps. When the side pieces got below chin length I blended them in to the sides of my hair. The character Brenda on 90210 had angled sides like that at one time. Then I grew the angled hair out. I also grew out the center wispies. I didn't want to grow out a big chunky layer that was the old bangs. It wasn't bad for the first 6 months or so but then it looked like crap. I almost cut the bangs again so many times. After maybe a year and a half it started looking halfway decent. I went through a period where I used a lot of barrettes or wore a high ponytail. I cut them myself through most of the grow out. At one time I had a stylist who was a wizard with bangs but she moved away. I know I can cut my bangs better than 99% of the stylists around. I had good hair scissors and always took teeny tiny snips and never snipped more than 1/4". Layering and angling are really easy to do.

eadwine
August 30th, 2008, 10:55 AM
I am going to get my bangs like that, just the sides not so very long. All is on one length now and I want to have a shape like ( *but then rotated of course LOL!!

Kayleena
January 13th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Hi everyone! :) Thanks to all who responded! I just thought I’d give a very belated :o update. Luckily, I have a GM salon near me, so I can trust the stylists there. Before my 09/25/08 appointment, I took small longer pieces on each side of my face that were still within what I call “the bangs/fringe area” {when I used to have thicker bangs}, and I trimmed them to APL to show my stylist what I meant and also to work with them a little. Then, I showed him the pieces and had him check the part, clean them up from there, and trim them to a little longer than shoulder-length. He also trimmed the light layer of shorter bangs/fringe that I still wanted to have across my forehead. He said the part I made was good! That encouraged me, because if necessary, that means I might be able to maintain those transition bangs myself, as I occasionally do with the forehead bangs. At any rate, all of the bangs are light, so if any bad mistakes are made, they shouldn’t be too much of a problem to style while growing out. So far, I am very pleased with the transition bangs; the only problem is that they like to blend in with the rest of my hair, so it can be very difficult to separate them sometimes. Lastly, he gave my hair a much-needed split-ends trim. I never thought about keeping the hair shaped while growing out bangs; that’s a good idea, Carolyn. Actually, I was thinking of how the character Kelly on Beverly Hills, 90210 wore her hair. When her hair was in a ponytail or in an updo, I thought she had bangs straight across with barely-there chin-length wisps on each side. That is the look I’m going for, except that the side wisps would be shoulder-length so that I could tie them back with the rest of my hair if I choose. I think Jenny Garth’s hair texture is similar to mine. Thanks again, and have a happy hair day! :blossom: