PDA

View Full Version : Things I've Learned/ Realized Since joining LHC!

A. Correira
June 13th, 2013, 08:01 AM
So, With my Little Sister visiting this week and staying with my husband and me, I have noticed a few things that have changed my thoughts about my hair!

My sister has nearly TB length hair, and although it is visually pretty, it is very damaged and even though she is still a kid (12) it drives me crazy!!! Nothing against her. I am trying to teach her "The Ways" to properly care, but she is still young and doesn't care all that much. haha

But! One thing I have noticed/ learned since seeing her hair is: although I want my hair to grow faster and be the length that I dream it at, I would rather take my time and let it grow strong, soft and beautifully so that when it gets to the length I want it at, it will still be that way.

My patience has increased dramatically! I remember being in high school and having the mind set (after I cut all of my hair off) being "Length! Length! It needs to be the length it was before!" And once I got there, it was so damaged and looked so bad!!

So... Anyone else want to share things they have learned/ realized?!?!

Sorry if there is already a thread like this, but I just wanted to share because I am proud of the way my patience and goals have changed!

jacqueline101
June 13th, 2013, 11:40 AM
I've learned patients, hard work, and proper care will pay off.

Micayla47
June 13th, 2013, 11:59 AM
i've realized that i can grow my hair long even though it's fine. i've learned about the perils of heat styling, bleaching and hairspray, none of which i do anymore. and i've gotten so much support and inspiration on this board. my hair is at the length where i usually give up and cut, bleach, color, perm or whatever, but seeing/reading about all the people on here who have stuck it out and grown their hair gives me motivation to keep growing and caring for my hair. patience? i'm still working on that one!

swearnsue
June 13th, 2013, 01:05 PM
I've learned to detangle gently and not just attack with a brush! I think to myself to treat my hair gently, like it's a little kitten.

Miss Maisie
June 13th, 2013, 01:20 PM
I've learned that I love to style my hair without heat (updos, heatless waves, etc), and that I don't want my hair as long as I thought. I figured waist length would be my end goal, but MBL is probably all the longer I want it.

A. Correira
June 13th, 2013, 04:30 PM
I've learned that I love to style my hair without heat (updos, heatless waves, etc), and that I don't want my hair as long as I thought. I figured waist length would be my end goal, but MBL is probably all the longer I want it.

I have learned that as well. Occasionally I heat style, but rarely. I have actually found it fun to find new updos to try!! And I have decided that waist may be the longest I want mine!!

I've learned to detangle gently and not just attack with a brush! I think to myself to treat my hair gently, like it's a little kitten.

YES!!! Tangle teaser saved my life!!

i've realized that i can grow my hair long even though it's fine. i've learned about the perils of heat styling, bleaching and hairspray, none of which i do anymore. and i've gotten so much support and inspiration on this board. my hair is at the length where i usually give up and cut, bleach, color, perm or whatever, but seeing/reading about all the people on here who have stuck it out and grown their hair gives me motivation to keep growing and caring for my hair. patience? i'm still working on that one!

I started out so upset at how short my hair was, but having the support that I needed and encouragement really helped! And knowing the proper way to care for it helped a ton too!

I've learned patients, hard work, and proper care will pay off.

I agree! It is harder than it looks to have not only pretty and healthy looking hair but also soft and thicker hair too!

marykatz
June 13th, 2013, 04:51 PM
I am just curious, what do you think your 12 year old sister is doing to damage her hair? She is probably too young for dye or heat damage.

A. Correira
June 13th, 2013, 06:26 PM
I am just curious, what do you think your 12 year old sister is doing to damage her hair? She is probably too young for dye or heat damage.

She just doesn't really care for it. I know she swims a lot and doesn't get trims. She constantly wears it down because no one besides me in our family bothers to do anything with it. I also know that my mom doesn't have the knowledge to care for long hair even though she has long hair too. The last 6-8 inches of my sisters hair feels like straw and feels like it might break at any moment. Every time I do her hair or braid it, I can't do a thing with the ends. Even oiling it doesn't do a thing. I would save it if I knew how, but I believe it is way beyond that. I know she doesn't notice or care that its damaged, so at least her hair is how she likes it, I suppose.

Silverbrumby
June 13th, 2013, 08:14 PM
I've learnt my fuzzy hair is actually just curly and in need of gentle handling and moisture. Plus I learned to get rid of the heat.

neko_kawaii
June 13th, 2013, 08:43 PM
She just doesn't really care for it. I know she swims a lot and doesn't get trims. She constantly wears it down because no one besides me in our family bothers to do anything with it. I also know that my mom doesn't have the knowledge to care for long hair even though she has long hair too. The last 6-8 inches of my sisters hair feels like straw and feels like it might break at any moment. Every time I do her hair or braid it, I can't do a thing with the ends. Even oiling it doesn't do a thing. I would save it if I knew how, but I believe it is way beyond that. I know she doesn't notice or care that its damaged, so at least her hair is how she likes it, I suppose.

I have learned that everyone has a different motivation for wanting long hair.

A. Correira
June 14th, 2013, 10:12 AM
I have learned that everyone has a different motivation for wanting long hair.

Yea. I haven't told her that it is clearly damaged. I have just been oiling it a bit for her and letting her know what she can do when she's at home. But it does give me a new appreciation for my hair and its health!

HintOfMint
June 14th, 2013, 12:20 PM
I've learned that having healthy hair isn't about throwing products at it until the damage goes away. It's more of an act of discipline.

...wow, that sounded dramatic :p but y'all know what I mean

Silverbrumby
June 14th, 2013, 08:58 PM
I've learnt that no matter how well you take care of your hair you cannot change genetics.

picklepie
June 14th, 2013, 09:08 PM
Is it possible that your sissy's hair might just need a good clarify or two? Especially if she's using coney products, the rough ends might be (at least in part) buildup. Worth a try?