PDA

View Full Version : My decision to stop using heat has been validated :)

ghilliegirl_an
June 12th, 2013, 09:03 PM
I just feel like I have to share this little piece of validation I just discovered about heat vs. no heat styling. I will add that I haven't used any heat products whatsoever in at least a year, aside from a blow dryer maybe twice.

I decided to cheat this past week for my senior banquet, I didn't have time to put my hair in rollers and really wanted to wear my hair down and curly for once so I decided to use a curling iron. It took me an hour and a half(with my mom's help I might add) and although it looked great at first, I was worried about messing it up all night and by the end of the night the rain had turned it into a hairsprayed frizzy mess.

I am now very content with my "extravagant" but oh so simple to do updos that everyone compliments me on, and sponge rollers for those times I want a little extra oomf to my loose hair, no more heat styling for me ever! As a once die hard flat iron addict, I hope others like me can find some inspiration to go heat free themselves, and others who have experienced as I have can share their experiences.

-Ashley

jacqueline101
June 12th, 2013, 10:07 PM
I'm glad you went heat free since you wanted to.

dulce
June 12th, 2013, 11:47 PM
After I stopped hot blowdryers and substituted a floor fan to dry my hair,I saw a great improvement so I believe you!!

TazM
June 12th, 2013, 11:57 PM
I used to wash my hair every morning, blow dry it then straighten it with a flat iron even when it was still a bit damp! Sometimes I wake up having nightmares that I started doing that again! :p As you can imagine I probably just stopped myself in time not to have to shave my head but I'm still dealing with a lot of damage a year later. My idea was to stop doing it every day, maybe allow the hair dryer occasionally and only flat iron for special occasions, well, you know after giving it up now I can't even imagine ever blow drying and straightening it again, I'm even worried about sitting too close to the heater! I think of all the good I try and do for my hair and that one flat ironing session would just undo it all. Besides, I don't really think I liked my hair straight anyway, I like the natural wave, I just had a hair cut with lots of layers so it was hard to make it look good without a using a flat iron. Oh well, it's up do's for me too for a while until it gets long enough the layers don't stick out all over the place.

spirals
June 13th, 2013, 12:05 AM
In the late 90s I was washing, blowfrying, and flat-ironing daily. My hair was like hay and breaking off like crazy. I still have breakage from combing, though, but not nearly as bad.

browneyedsusan
June 13th, 2013, 06:29 AM
In my pre-pixie days, I had a perm, and blowdried daily. My hair never grew past my shoulders, and was the color and texture of straw.
Now, I rarely heat my hair, and haven't seen a split end yet! (The henna probably helps it, too; but leaving off the heat keeps the ends nice.)