PDA

View Full Version : Thinking Of Getting A Few Hair Extensions

nastasska
August 29th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Due to stress factors I've had pretty poor growth this year and I'm considering getting some hair extension at the back to give me some of the extra length I'm missing.
I'm hoping doing this might prevent me from doing something really stupid like having an actual hair cut-I've come close a few times because I so frustrated with things at the moment
I'm not doing so well this year and it's been times like this in the past that I've done things with my hair I've regretted.
Any Opinions

*Update

Thanks for all your replies.It's a moot point now as nobody can do them the length I want the longest they have is 60 cm/24"

queenjord
August 29th, 2008, 09:08 PM
ive used hair extensions before to make my hair thicker.. but now they are about half the length of my hair and im thinking about getting really long ones just for fun.. i like to do crazy things to mine..but im not into damaging it any more. its always nice to have thicker hair or fill in the holes, at least for me
but i think your hair looks beautiful how it is now! i dont think you need them but they are fun!

30isthenewblack
August 29th, 2008, 09:11 PM
I'm not an expert on extensions. I think there are clip on hair extensions that you can get which are less damaging to your hair. As for permanent extensions, I don't care what anyone says, they are damaging to the hair. When you see celebrities like Victoria Beckham, Paris Hilton & Britney Spears who can afford the best of the best & still have to cut their hair shorter after extensions, you cannot deny that it is bad for the hair. I can understand your frustration but I don't want the overall health of your hair to be affected.

nastasska
August 29th, 2008, 09:11 PM
My signature Picture is old my hair is only just past waist at the moment this is more recent

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v339/Nastasska/IM000481MeetBL2.jpg

30isthenewblack
August 29th, 2008, 09:15 PM
I think your hair looks beautiful & your ends look thick & healthy. Often we can be so critical of our own hair & can't see what others see. If I was you, I would not contemplate getting extensions.

queenjord
August 29th, 2008, 09:15 PM
i did mine in cornrows and sewed in.. they arent damaging unless you leave them in for too long using bad quality hair like i did... it was a mess. but this time im going to be careful about it.
i dont like clip ins cause i like the feeling that i know they will stay in no matter what i do.. just like my real hair

30isthenewblack
August 29th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Speaking from personal experience, when I had braids & hair extensions was weaved in my hair, my hair thinned out & they were only in for three months. I cannot see how hair which is glued to your hair or woven into your hair cannot be a damaging process.

Oskimosa
August 29th, 2008, 09:20 PM
I guess you could get tracks put in underneath, but they're hot and expensive when they get that long. Might be tough to match your hair, but then again, maybe not, they could be alot of fun :p. I wanted to get tracks put in for my best friend's wedding, turns out getting 30" blonde hair is pretty pricey.

nastasska
August 29th, 2008, 09:45 PM
I was thinking of these

http://www.greatlengths.com.au/#/about-great-lengths/

hennared
August 29th, 2008, 10:13 PM
I've been looking into extensions a lot, myself, to thicken up my hair from it's recent mega-shed.
Everything I've read about the semi-permanent ones terrifies me, though. I think it does damage hair, and I need to keep all the strands I can! However, I am less leary of clip ins. I am considering buying a weft of Remy hair and sewing it myself to clips, so I can control the size of the pieces myself. But I've not been brave enough, just yet (or willnig to part with the $$ to get good quality hair)

I do agree that your hair looks lovely as it is.

-Hennared

pixiegirl
August 30th, 2008, 01:08 AM
Natasska, you have beautiful hair and don't need extensions. On the other hand, when my hair gets a bit longer I might consider them.

rapunzhell13
August 30th, 2008, 01:36 AM
nastasska, I honestly think your hair looks great as is! I don't think you need extensions, I really don't.

winter_star
August 30th, 2008, 06:09 AM
My mother has recently put hair extensions into her hair. She wanted to see what it would feel like to have long hair because she would like to grow it out. The extensions have made her hair really thick. She praises them and says they are painless and easy to manage. You will need to get them re-tightened every few months.

I think your hair looks great the way it is. If you still wish to get hair extensions you may like to consider just getting a thin row put in the centre and underneath your hair for added thickness?

bte
August 30th, 2008, 06:17 AM
I have read quite a lot about extensions, because I am at terminal length well before I wanted to be. Although extensions give extra hair for a few months, most people find that even the most expensive ones damage your real hair when they are removed or renewed. you might therefore lose more in 12 months' time than you gain now. I agree with other posters who have said your hair looks great now - but if you want extra thickness, you could consider a tie in or clip in ponytail which wouldn't do much if any damage.

30isthenewblack
August 30th, 2008, 08:01 AM
I have read quite a lot about extensions, because I am at terminal length well before I wanted to be. Although extensions give extra hair for a few months, most people find that even the most expensive ones damage your real hair when they are removed or renewed. you might therefore lose more in 12 months' time than you gain now. I agree with other posters who have said your hair looks great now - but if you want extra thickness, you could consider a tie in or clip in ponytail which wouldn't do much if any damage.

I agree. I don't think hair extensions are the right solution if you are thinking about long term growth. I am worried about the effect it will have on your overall hair.

bunnii
August 30th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Looking at your recent picture I also don't think you need extensions, your hair is beautiful and it could suffer overall if you get extensions although i'm not an expert. BTW -I love love LOVE your boots!!! :D

jel
August 30th, 2008, 08:11 AM
I think your hair looks great! But if it's length that you're missing, my advice is - put it up and forget about it! On special occasions, when you want to wear it down, clip in some temporary extensions. Sooner than you realise you will have regained the length!

ETA: I haven't heard of extensions that do not damage hair (except the temp clip-in ones)

EvaSimone
August 30th, 2008, 08:19 AM
When my hair was chinlength I bought some hair extensions and sewed clips onto the back of the hair. It was a lot of work and cost me about $50, also putting the extensions in for even a day took me around 1/2 an hour, sometimes longer.

They were fun but really I wouldn't recommend them. You're hair is very pretty and I don't really see the need for extensions but I can understand the desire for them.

I definitely wouldn't get them put in, they do damage your hair no matter how careful the stylist is. Not to mention they are really expensive. The most hair friendly is the clips but they still are damaging (IMO). I was also always paranoid that people could tell I was wearing extensions. My DF told me that you could tell that I had extensions so my paranoia was probably valid. :p

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. :flower:

jeno
August 31st, 2008, 02:11 AM
You do NOT need extensions. Your own hair will always be more beautiful than the fake hair! And as all the others said; it will damage your hair.
I think you should try clip on if you really want to do this. Then you can take them out and you will sleep better without them... There's a lot of work taking care of extensions because they are treated and dry and tangles lika crazy (even if you buy expensive remy hair). You can't get down to your scalp for a massage and that's bad for your own hair too.

nastasska
August 31st, 2008, 05:07 PM
Thanks for all your replies.It's a moot point now as nobody can do them the length I want the longest they have is 60 cm/24"

catekat
August 31st, 2008, 07:41 PM
First off, I'd like to say that you have very lovely hair. It may not be as long as you'd like now, but I think it looks brilliant, judging by the pics in your signiture. Seriously.

If getting extensions would make you happier, look into it. Before you get it done, make sure it won't damage your hair. Give yourself some time to mull over it. Best of luck.

bojangles
August 31st, 2008, 10:11 PM
I hear so many people talking about hair extensions damaging your hair- I have had Great Lengths for ten years and never have had damage... but I think it depends who you go to... you must go to someone who knows what they are doing. I got mine done at Prema in Westfield bondi Junction and the latest time at Zenith in Paddington. I must say though you get what you pay for... mine weren't cheap, but I love them!

I found some really nice natural before and after shots of some girls... http://www.greatlengths.com.au/htmldocs/features/hairexpo.html

jojo
August 31st, 2008, 10:12 PM
hey nastasska all I can say is you must have funny mirrors in your house because all i can see is long, soft, shiny hair and you do have a thick hemline.

Please don't do anything silly because you will regret it big time! put your hair up and ignore it. Think about the care, time and patience it took to get to this point some people never reach this point, you have done really well in growing such healthy looking hair.

Clip in extensions will help boost your confidence, so I would say go for it thye won't damage your hair. Ive even been tempted to buy some myself, to give me the length i so desperately want.

take care xx