PDA

View Full Version : Seriously Considering Going Back to Bangs...

kittengirl
June 11th, 2013, 09:46 PM
I've been thinking about getting bangs again. I've been really annoyed with my hair lately and tempted to cut, but I am finally about at BSL so I know I will regret a chop now and my hair is in very good condition finally. I used to have bangs and have since grown them out and they are well past my chin now. I just feel like I want a change. I look a little severe because I always wear my hair up and I feel like bangs would give me a softer look from the front. I like triangle bangs, think Audrey Hepburn or Zooey Deschanel. However, I want to cut them myself (I am a self-trimmer) because the only salon that I liked closed here and I am really do not want to have to start going to a salon. I have found many videos and instructions and I am fairly competent with cutting my hair. I also wear glasses, so with a bun I can look a little "librarian" as my DH says.

My pros for cutting:
New look without ruining my hair length
Might look better with updos, and I could wear it down on occasion without it falling in my face
Bangs are flattering to me, I find
I'm due with a baby in 3 weeks and I feel like bangs might make my look a little fresher than simply pulling it back everyday with clips or a headband
If I do shed around the hairline postpartum bangs would be a great way to hide it :p

Cons for cutting:
I might regret it
My mom always liked the way I look without bangs

I know there are a lot more pros but I'm hesitant. I've just been discontented with my hair and I KNOW I could regret cutting it off so I must resist that! Unfortunately I do not have any pics of myself with bangs to post, but I was just wondering if any of you have had this dilemma and what you did. Honestly, just thanks for reading. I went over all this with DH but when I got to the end and he asked, "Wait, just so I'm clear, with bangs means you do or don't have hair on the forehead?" I knew I needed other advice! :p

Wildcat Diva
June 11th, 2013, 11:29 PM
DH, doh!

Honey, it sounds like bangs would be wonderful. I like how bangs look on Torrin Paige. I bet they would really soften up your look. Congrats on your impending baby having!

kidari
June 11th, 2013, 11:45 PM
You can always test it out by getting clip-in bangs before cutting them. Keep in mind that if you get bangs like Zoey's you are cutting a very thick bang so your thickness in your length will change a bit.

kittengirl
June 12th, 2013, 12:06 AM
DH, doh!

Honey, it sounds like bangs would be wonderful. I like how bangs look on Torrin Paige. I bet they would really soften up your look. Congrats on your impending baby having!

That's what I'm hoping that they would soften it up. Thank you so much for your input, and thanks for your congratulations!

kittengirl
June 12th, 2013, 12:07 AM
DH, doh!

Grrr...double post.

kittengirl
June 12th, 2013, 12:10 AM
You can always test it out by getting clip-in bangs before cutting them. Keep in mind that if you get bangs like Zoey's you are cutting a very thick bang so your thickness in your length will change a bit.
I know I look ok with bangs cause I've had them before. It's nice in a way I still have the shorter growth from my old bangs so I have a bit of a guideline. My bangs never were as thick as hers, though, I try to get a bit more of a delicate shape.

millyaulait
June 12th, 2013, 03:15 AM
I cut myself some bangs when I hit BSL, it made me SO much happier with my hair that I felt like I could keep growing. They also look great with updos, they definitely make everything look less harsh & more chic/up do date. I also don't really think they are that difficult to grow out if you hate them, it's easy to pin them back if you really do. :)

cranberrymoonz
June 12th, 2013, 04:14 AM
I've been thinking about getting bangs for these reasons, too.. (exept for the baby part;) congratz, btw!!)
Still nog really sure.

EDIT: I've decided that I like very long hair better without bangs, and that's what I want! So I won't cut them.

panffle
June 12th, 2013, 07:34 AM
As someone who has bangs and absolutely loves them, I'd say go for it! Sure, it might take very long to grow out but that's a good thing about hair - it grows. If you like yourself with bangs more, you don't need anyone else's opinion. Your own regarding yourself is enough.

kittengirl
June 12th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Thank you everyone for the input!! I actually did get bangs....I cut them myself last night and then I went to the hairdresser this morning to get them tidied up a bit and I absolutely love them. I feel like I have so many more style choices now and I no longer feel tempted to cut the rest of my hair. I also just hit BSL so I'll post a pic of the bangs when I make my "I"m finally at BSL" thread, lol. Really though, thank you all for your advice.

Vivalagina
June 12th, 2013, 10:07 AM
I am almost reaching BSL and didn't want to chop but was hating the severe look since I always put my hair up. So I just cut in some bangs, and they are glorious. I feel so much better now. :)

HintOfMint
June 12th, 2013, 10:39 AM
Thank you everyone for the input!! I actually did get bangs....I cut them myself last night and then I went to the hairdresser this morning to get them tidied up a bit and I absolutely love them. I feel like I have so many more style choices now and I no longer feel tempted to cut the rest of my hair. I also just hit BSL so I'll post a pic of the bangs when I make my "I"m finally at BSL" thread, lol. Really though, thank you all for your advice.

Yay! Good for you! I'm very much pro-bangs, I really think if you can pull them off, it's a great way to add interest to a look and change things up without a drastic cut. Looking forward to pics!

jacqueline101
June 12th, 2013, 11:24 AM
I have bangs and love them.

phabieau
June 12th, 2013, 12:43 PM
I've been going back and forth on bangs my entire life. I have a very high forehead, which I'm self conscious of, but bangs don't always behave. I have them grown out right now for only the second time, and I know in a few years I'll cut them back. It's just such an easy change to make to your hair without affecting most of it or the length, and even when you're growing them out you go through several different looks. So I understand your decision. Congrats on BSL! It seems we are in a very similar position.

thistledown
June 12th, 2013, 07:33 PM
I love zooey's bangs. Serious love :) I also like taylor swifts. I got mine cut relatively recently, I love them but heres the thing.....I can pin them up if I'm feeling like a bang free day. So I say go for it! you can always pin them up!
Vanessa