PDA

View Full Version : Cut my hair into a pixie. (pics)

Thinthondiel
June 11th, 2013, 08:06 PM
I tried to talk myself out of doing it, but sometimes when I get an impulse to do something, I just can't rest until I've done it. So I went into the bathroom at about 1:30 a.m., and... this happened.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v117/Thinthondiel/IMG_20130612_020224-001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v117/Thinthondiel/IMG_20130612_023339-002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v117/Thinthondiel/IMG_20130612_024133-002.jpg

My attitude towards my hair is that it's "just hair", so I tend to be be very impulsive with it sometimes, and I've never regretted anything I've done to it so far. I've never cut my hair short on my own before, and I was prepared to shave it off if I botched it. :p

I'd prefer to have one side a bit longer/fuller than this, but I started out with an undercut on both sides, so I'll have to wait until my hair grows out a bit for that.

leslissocool
June 11th, 2013, 08:08 PM
I think you have the perfect face for it actually, it looks fabulous! Specially for a self made. Pixies are hard to do!

MiaBeth
June 11th, 2013, 08:16 PM
I can't believe you did it yourself -- it looks really good!

FrozenBritannia
June 11th, 2013, 08:25 PM
You look fabulous with short hair! :)

HintOfMint
June 11th, 2013, 08:32 PM
You look awesome! You definitely have the face for it. I agree with you though, I'd let part of it grow out just a tad bit for a bit of fullness (I like fuller pixies). Karla Deras of Karla's Closet (a fashion blog) has a long history of short haircuts and if you go through the archives you'll find a lot of inspiration and ideas. Have fun!

GoldLady
June 11th, 2013, 08:35 PM
It looks so cute! Perfect for the summer. :thumbsup:

Dandelion6
June 11th, 2013, 08:40 PM
You did a great job and it frames your face beautifully.

Thinthondiel
June 11th, 2013, 08:48 PM
Thank you, everyone! :D

You look awesome! You definitely have the face for it. I agree with you though, I'd let part of it grow out just a tad bit for a bit of fullness (I like fuller pixies). Karla Deras of Karla's Closet (a fashion blog) has a long history of short haircuts and if you go through the archives you'll find a lot of inspiration and ideas. Have fun!

Thanks, I'll check it out!

OUKess
June 11th, 2013, 09:01 PM
Wow you are beautiful!!!

kamikaze hair
June 11th, 2013, 09:02 PM
man that looks so good, I love your new do.

BambooBeauty
June 11th, 2013, 09:04 PM
Looks amazing!!

Quixii
June 11th, 2013, 09:05 PM
It looks really great!

I've just recently started watching Once Upon a Time, and your new cut reminds me a lot of their Snow White (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0329481/?ref_=tt_cl_t1). :)

BrightEyes
June 11th, 2013, 09:13 PM
Your hair looks great! It suites you very well :)

Jenny31557
June 11th, 2013, 09:47 PM
Very pretty! You and your hair. What length was it before?

Thinthondiel
June 11th, 2013, 10:05 PM
I'm really flattered by all these compliments! Thank you all!

It looks really great!

I've just recently started watching Once Upon a Time, and your new cut reminds me a lot of their Snow White (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0329481/?ref_=tt_cl_t1). :)

I have to admit that when I saw the end result, it actually reminded me of Snow White from OUAT as well.

Very pretty! You and your hair. What length was it before?

The longest pieces at the back reached my waist, but since I had an undercut on both sides as well as shorter hair in the front, that wasn't a whole lot. I think most of my hair was at BSL. I don't take length photos, but here are the most recent photos I have... I was playing around with eyeliner in this one:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/a8bc8d5a150a47c7ab3e2cb7ab80c6af/tumblr_mlin619Tlo1qgj126o1_500.jpg

And in this one I had just brushed out my braid waves :p

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v117/Thinthondiel/IMG_20130530_164856.jpg

Wildcat Diva
June 11th, 2013, 11:25 PM
Wow. You look so so beautiful with long hair AND with short. And also I want your cheekbones!

kidari
June 11th, 2013, 11:47 PM
The first picture made my heart almost stop... but I echo what everyone else says... I seriously cannot believe you did that yourself and that you have the right features to pull off a pixie! It looks great!

Simone_Fatale
June 11th, 2013, 11:53 PM
Wow, you're rocking it, gurl! Gorgeous.

Merlin
June 12th, 2013, 12:08 AM
Awesome! Both long and short look equally pretty on you

joflakes
June 12th, 2013, 12:34 AM
Wow, that's so brave of you to DIY! It looks awesome, though. Well done!

Louise148
June 12th, 2013, 02:31 AM
That is a brilliant cut and it's DIY...I am so impressed. I trained as a hairdresser (albeit over 20 years ago) and if I cut my own hair it would never look that good. :scissors:

Mesmerise
June 12th, 2013, 02:44 AM
Wow that's great for a self cut! I wish I had the guts to cut my short hair (shorter... to cut out dye!!)... I'm absolutely fine with cutting my hair when it's long... and I've cut it from almost waist to APL, and even put in some layers, added bangs etc. but with short hair I just don't have the confidence to self cut AT ALL! It would certainly save a trip to the stylist if I did ;). (I hate getting my hair cut by anyone other than myself and figured it'd just be something I'd have to suck up until my hair's long enough to self cut again lol).

Anyway, you look great with both long and short hair!

faellen
June 12th, 2013, 03:07 AM
Really suits you! So cute!

sunshine-locks
June 12th, 2013, 03:14 AM
Holy crap! Your short hair makes you look so stunning it's unbelievable! The pixie shows your features off so well, and the fact you cut it yourself is very impressive :D

lapushka
June 12th, 2013, 05:59 AM
It looks good on you long *and* short, and you sure aren't sorry you cut it, so good on you! :thumbsup:

shutterpillar
June 12th, 2013, 06:41 AM
Great job! I think it looks perfect on you. :) You and I have a very similar face shape and i've always wanted a pixie, but i've never had the guts for it. Maybe one of these days. It looks fabulous on you!

PinkyCat
June 12th, 2013, 07:25 AM
My word.
When you're THAT beautiful, your hair can do no wrong!

Yozhik
June 12th, 2013, 08:16 AM
Wow...you're incredibly attractive and your short hairdo emphasizes that.

Amazing job on your self-cut!

rock007junkie
June 12th, 2013, 08:57 AM
It looks so freaking cute!

spidermom
June 12th, 2013, 09:45 AM
The new cut suits you.

Micayla47
June 12th, 2013, 09:57 AM
it's super cute on you and it looks professionally cut :)

Kaelee
June 12th, 2013, 10:23 AM
That looks fantastic!!! Part of me loves pixie cuts and wants one so badly, but every time I do it I miss my long hair. Plus DF loves my long hair. Still, it's been in the back of my mind for years.

SleepyTangles
June 12th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Ooooh, pretty! Your face is really lovely. Can we have a side/back view too? It looks just so neat!

jacqueline101
June 12th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Looks cute and good job cutting it.

Annibelle
June 12th, 2013, 01:56 PM
You look like a model! :)

HylianGirl
June 12th, 2013, 03:09 PM
It suits you, very preety! Man, I wish I had the guts for it. Oh, well, someday...

Vanille_
June 12th, 2013, 03:12 PM
Wow, when opened the thread, all I saw was the first picture. My heart dropped. Impulse cut and all that hair? Oh noooo! And then I scrolled down. You look LOVELY. What a beautiful job and it suits you so well. I've been contemplating a big cut like this as well, so thanks for reminding us that just because we frequent this forum doesn't mean we have to have long hair.

browneyedsusan
June 12th, 2013, 03:32 PM
It's adorable! (I always liked my pixies, too; although it might be hard to tell! *sarcasm* see siggy...)

Thinthondiel
June 12th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Oh gosh, I'm so flattered by all these compliments! Thank you so much, everyone!

Ooooh, pretty! Your face is really lovely. Can we have a side/back view too? It looks just so neat!

Sure!

Right side (it looks like it's a different colour towards the front, but that's just because that's where it's shortest... I forgot for a moment while cutting that I wanted it longer than my regular sidecut length. The length difference blends in more in real life and it doesn't actually look like there are two different colours) :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v117/Thinthondiel/IMG_20130612_233929.jpg

Back (I'm sorry, I couldn't get a good picture of the back):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v117/Thinthondiel/IMG_20130612_234116-001.jpg

Left side:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v117/Thinthondiel/IMG_20130612_235221.jpg

DakarNick
June 12th, 2013, 08:59 PM
Beautiful! The last pics I saw of you were of your undercut, if I recall correctly. You chopped it all off! It looks great.

long&blonde
June 12th, 2013, 09:07 PM
I agree totally with Pinky Cat; "When you're THAT beautiful; your hair can do no wrong!" Awesome job! Looks fantastic!

OUKess
June 12th, 2013, 10:28 PM
Thinthondiel you are surely a model in Norway, because you are a beauty with long hair and also with the pixie!!!! you look awesome!!!!

Merlin
June 13th, 2013, 12:13 AM
Right side (it looks like it's a different colour towards the front, but that's just because that's where it's shortest... I forgot for a moment while cutting that I wanted it longer than my regular sidecut length. The length difference blends in more in real life and it doesn't actually look like there are two different colours)

It looks stunning from the back and sides too! Did you really do that yourself, in the bathroom, on a whim??

oktobergoud
June 13th, 2013, 03:02 AM
It looks really good!

SleepyTangles
June 13th, 2013, 03:25 AM
Wow, its really perfect!

AngryVikingGirl
June 13th, 2013, 05:03 AM
Well done! I wouldn't dare to give myself a pixie cut, hehe. (and not just because I want it long :p)

duchesswannabe
June 13th, 2013, 05:25 AM
It is beautiful. You are beautiful and can pull any style off.

palaeoqueen
June 13th, 2013, 06:21 AM
I am seriously impressed that you did that yourself! How did you get it so even? Serious question, I'm not contemplating a pixie (I do NOT have your good looks :lol:) but I'm curious what technique you used to do it. I can't even get layers even, grrr! :taz:

Aeris
June 14th, 2013, 02:33 PM
You look simply beautiful! I am very jealous of both your skill and your bravery!

icallitbliss
June 14th, 2013, 02:52 PM
You look seriously amazing with the pixie! Wow. Gorgeous face. :) And I can't believe you did it yourself. I've cut my hair on my own before many times and it always looked like a 5 year old attacked it with scissors...haha!

Addy
June 14th, 2013, 03:27 PM
Good going Girl! I cut my own pixie too because I know no stylist would ever get it right! I did the same thing you did after I ruined my waist length hair with Color Zap this past March. I finally have all the color off except for my bangs which I've kept a bit longer. I stood in the bathroom while home alone, took 3 deep breaths and just started cutting. I get compliments all the time on it and a few *I hate you's* when I tell them I did it myself. lol

door72067
June 14th, 2013, 05:16 PM
super-cute! (and I love your top!!)

Thinthondiel
June 15th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Thanks for all the compliments, everyone! Never did I think I'd get so many positive comments on my pixie cut on a long hair board. :p

I am seriously impressed that you did that yourself! How did you get it so even? Serious question, I'm not contemplating a pixie (I do NOT have your good looks :lol:) but I'm curious what technique you used to do it. I can't even get layers even, grrr! :taz:

Well, I've been cutting the sides of my hair short for about a year now, and what I do is pull my fingers through it next to the scalp and then cut the hair just above my fingers. I figured I'd be able to use pretty much the same technique at the back, so that's what I did (except I used a comb instead of my fingers at the nape and a little bit further up, to get a closer cut; further up I used my fingers and pulled them further out from the scalp the closer to the top I was, so that the hair would be longer there and blend in with the hair at the top). And at the top I tried to cut the hair more or less the same length, but it didn't matter if it wasn't perfect, because it's not like it was a hemline I was cutting - the hair was just going to overlap anyway - and then I thinned it out/texturised it so that it would blend better and not be so chunky. I did that in a few different ways, like running my hands through the hair and letting it "fall" into the scissors while I snipped away randomly using just the tips, or grabbing a small section of hair and letting the scissors slide away from the scalp through it while cutting. Afterwards, I used the slide-cut technique on a few sections at the back as well that looked a bit chunky/uneven. :)

Good going Girl! I cut my own pixie too because I know no stylist would ever get it right! I did the same thing you did after I ruined my waist length hair with Color Zap this past March. I finally have all the color off except for my bangs which I've kept a bit longer. I stood in the bathroom while home alone, took 3 deep breaths and just started cutting. I get compliments all the time on it and a few *I hate you's* when I tell them I did it myself. lol

Self-pixie-cut high five! I'm glad I'm not the only one "crazy" enough to try this. ;)

Kome
June 15th, 2013, 09:05 AM
Omg, but it looks sooooooooo cute. I've been tempted to chop mine off for months now. It's getting on my nerves! Long hair is a b**** when it's uber tangly. Gorgeous haircut hun. Totally digging it.

purplebubba
June 15th, 2013, 12:03 PM
The look in your eyes and your smile tell the story. Awesome job. I did try that in 10th grade but it was right after the last day of school. I didn't care how it turned out.

palaeoqueen
June 16th, 2013, 04:09 AM
Thanks for sharing your technique, that's really cool you figured that out by yourself.

Colourful
June 16th, 2013, 05:16 AM
The haircut suits you very well, you have a beautiful face! :)

GrowingOut
June 16th, 2013, 06:39 AM
You look like Anne Hathaway!

katiebeans
June 16th, 2013, 08:50 AM
I would never guess that you did this yourself! It looks really good and suits your face well.

ooo
June 16th, 2013, 09:58 AM
I don't like your new hair cut, but you are so pretty, that you can pull it off regardless.

alyanna
June 16th, 2013, 10:26 AM
You look really pretty!

I'm so tempted to get a pixie sometimes. I've never had one before. My ears are too big though...