PDA

View Full Version : Bridesmaid hair

raingirl
June 11th, 2013, 06:19 AM
My sister is getting married in just under 3 weeks. I'm a bridesmaid. She is marrying a guy she dated back in highschool, coincidentally the younger brother of a friend of mine I've had since I was little. Our families have known each other for years and there will be a lot of old highschool and mutual family friends at the wedding.

I also have just a little longer than BSL henna hair which has faded to a bright orange colour, but with 4 inches of very light ash blonde roots. I've been surviving with buns for now, but the two colours really makes me unhappy.

I'm torn on what to do. I don't really want to use conventional dyes or bleaches to blend it. I've tried the only deposit dyes I've found around here (Ion Color Therapy) and there is no match for the henna colour. I tried the ash brown and the red brown. The red brown had a yellowish hue (???) and the ash brown looked good over the henna, but turned my blond roots a purple colour.

Unfortunately, Elumen and Pravana dyes aren't sold around here. I found one salon that does Elumen, but it costs minimum $150 just because it takes a long time to do. Also, I heard that the "return" for Elumen only takes 80% away. I don't want to ruin the blonde roots I have already.

My sisters (all bridesmaids) want to get our hair done the morning of the wedding. I'm scared to go anywhere near a salon right now for fear they will make fun of me. My sister wants to go to a salon that we've both gone to for 10+ years. I haven't been there since I did the henna or since I decided to grow long because the owner hates long hair and refused to let me dye my blonde hair ever.

The other thing - I'm preggo, and I know most dyes are safe but I still want to be careful.

GAH! I'm stressing WAY too much about this but I don't know what to do!!

lilalong
June 11th, 2013, 06:26 AM
4 inches of roots... are you able to pull everything up in a pretty bun?

raingirl
June 11th, 2013, 06:44 AM
Almost (not 100%, say 90%) I can get into a bun (I'll try and get a picture today). But i'm horrid at doing my own hair. I don't want to have my hair done by myself when my sisters will have salon hair.

I figure they could pull it back into some kind of bun for me (maybe a sock type bun) but do something in the front for volume so you mostly see the blonde? Most pictures will be from the front anyway. But....will the salon make fun or rude comments? I'm very sensitive and I'm scared of what they will say (I actually need a trim right now too, but I'm too scared to go anywhere near a hair salon).

schweedie
June 11th, 2013, 06:48 AM
I've always really loved the look of French/Dutch braids on people who are growing out dye - the colour coming through in the different sections looks really cool, I think, and can even make it look intentional. If you don't want to dye, perhaps some sort of style with braids could be an option? :)

raingirl
June 11th, 2013, 06:54 AM
Oh, that's an idea. I will start googling pictures.

Braid wise, would it make a difference if I have insanely thin hair? Braids look kind of wimpy on me. At full thickness, my braids are no thicker than my thumb....

Bagginslover
June 11th, 2013, 08:05 AM
Could you incorperate a paranda to artificially thicken your hair?

lilalong
June 11th, 2013, 08:32 AM
Ok. So I would not dye my hair if I was you. You are so close to having the henna grown out, it would be too bad to destroy that progress. (You didn't outright say it, but it is your goal to grow the henna out, right? Otherwise you would probably just henna again).

I would go to the hairdresser and ask for a fancy updo. Google some pictures to show her what you like. They should not be rude to you, they want your money after all. I would go and talk to them before the day of the wedding, so they can tell you what is feasible and what is not. If you are REALLY nervous, you could even do a trial run. I mean, why not? If it makes you more comfortable.

You could even incorporate fake hair in your undo (or braid!). It will give you more volume and if the fake hair is like your natural hair color, it will look like your bun has red and blonde hair. It will make everything look more intentional.

Also, don't worry. I'm sure you are going to look wonderful. Ombre hair is in fashion at the moment, and most people will just assume that your hair is intentional.

Here are some ideas:
Picture of a two-toned bun.It looks really nice. (http://hollywoodnose.com/images/hairstyles/kaley-cuoco/kaley-cuoco-updo-hairstyle.jpg)
Same actress, I'm pretty sure that braid is fake. You could do something similar.
(http://hawaiidermatology.com/prom-hairstyle-kaley-cuoco-14/ucesy-sk.happyhair.sk*celebrity_img*cuoco1f612.jpg/)

I like this updo. (http://images.totalbeauty.com/uploads/editorial/lg420x280/summer-hairstyles-L.jpg)
This woman has noticable roots (and about 4 different hair colors) and the updo looks really nice.
(http://www.womensbeautylife.com/albums/Updo-Hairstyles/updo33_001.jpg)
This one is super cute and doesn't seem to need much volume.
(http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_2f85ULzcgMY/TSXDcsLeR3I/AAAAAAAACIo/YXerDXxSr-U/s1600/Braided%2525252BUpdo%2525252BCelebrity.jpg)
A braid with multi-toned hair. Super pretty!
(http://longhairstyleshowto.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/cute-braid-hair1.jpg)
Good Luck!

spidermom
June 11th, 2013, 07:26 PM
Braids with ribbons are really pretty and add substance, too.

Firefox7275
June 11th, 2013, 07:47 PM
I think you should do what your sister wants within reason, it's her special day and you have agreed to be a bridesmaid. It's unlikely the salon will make fun of you, that would be hugely unprofessional and bad for business. Can't you ask that you do NOT have your appointment with the salon owner and prepare a response in case something negative is said?

Have you tried removing the henna with Color Oops/ Colour B4?

AnqeIicDemise
June 11th, 2013, 09:52 PM
Oh, that's an idea. I will start googling pictures.

Braid wise, would it make a difference if I have insanely thin hair? Braids look kind of wimpy on me. At full thickness, my braids are no thicker than my thumb....

Fluff them. Every three passes stop to gently pull the hair out a bit to make it look bigger. Rinse. Lather. Repeat until done. If you do it on the same side only, the braid starts to coil in on itself and you can make flowers.

raingirl
June 12th, 2013, 05:54 AM
Lots of great suggestions. The bride doesn't know we are getting our hair done. She is just doing her own hair. My older sister just suggested it for fun since we live in a different city than the bride and other bridesmaid, so we thought we might get our hair done before heading over before the wedding. It's a low key wedding, nothing big so technically I don't need to get my hair done if I don't want to. I could just do my own if I want.