PDA

View Full Version : How much damage did I cause? *straightening*

Friesiangirl
August 29th, 2008, 08:19 PM
My friend had thrice convinced me to straighten my hair. I've only done it three times with her. We used a ceramic hair iron and gels/moose/serum etc.

How much damage can be caused? My hair was resiliant, so she set it on high :(. I know she was trying to pretty me up, but I'm worried about my hair. IT's naturally a wavy consitancy and she made it stick straight.

Hayley

plainjanegirl
August 29th, 2008, 08:24 PM
I used to flat iron quite frequently and always on high and I didn't use heat protective products until I started worrying about my hair. Yes I think now that my hair did suffer damage but it's not terrible. Just start taking alot of extra TLC with it.

spidermom
August 29th, 2008, 08:40 PM
If she was very fast and only did each strand once, the damage will be minimal. Otherwise you will probably be seeing white dots and other damage fairly soon.

Friesiangirl
August 29th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Well, it was a while ago (a month, then 7 and 12 months) so I think then I may be alright as I haven't seen any damage.

Thank you!

Hayley

winter_star
August 30th, 2008, 06:43 AM
Hair straightening can be damaging and drying to your hair, but if you only do it once every six or so months it won't do too much damage.

Make sure next time you do it you use heat protective products and don't leave the straightener pressed to one area of hair for lengths of time. You should also try to avoid running the straightener over each strand more than once.

Shanarana
August 30th, 2008, 06:52 AM
I'm sure you'll be ok. Once in a great while I'll use a heat product (hangs head).

Friesiangirl
August 30th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Hair straightening can be damaging and drying to your hair, but if you only do it once every six or so months it won't do too much damage.

Make sure next time you do it you use heat protective products and don't leave the straightener pressed to one area of hair for lengths of time. You should also try to avoid running the straightener over each strand more than once.

Well, i have deicided never to do it again. My natural hair is so PRETTY. :cheese: It has what I call "princess waves"... Not quite a wave, nor a curl, but pretty.

AshleyP
August 30th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Probably not too much damage. I stopped flat ironing (as much) 3 months ago - prior to that, I did it about 3 times a week. I've done it probably about 3 times in the last 3 months.
It really depends on a lot of factors though. How long the iron was ran through the section, whether you used heat protection products, how hot the iron was, etc.