PDA

View Full Version : hair, why do you confuse me so...?

MotherConfessor
June 8th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Okay, here's the deal. I have been dealing with some serious splits and I have been trying to moisturize the ends and keep it from getting any worse. Well, this seemed to make my hair very greasy and natty looking so i kept reducing the amount of conditioner and increasing the shampoo (still at levels that would make a non lhc'er nervous) and I was still getting greasy hair. I was ready to just go straight shampoo and see if that worked when I went swimming (saline pool) with a friend. Afterwards I had a giant matt on the back of my head and I started smoothing a lot of conditioner into my hair and brushing it out. Since I was not going home right away I put it into a crown braid to keep it out of the way, when I finally did get home it was dry and I did not feel like dealing with it so I went to bed and figured I wash the bejeezus out of it tomorrow. When tomorrow rolled around I un-braided my hair and.... perfect shampoo commercial hair. :confused: This was the nicest my hair has ever looked and I am deeply confused

Thoughts?

cranberrymoonz
June 8th, 2013, 01:50 PM
You probably had some build-up, and the pool water may have clarified it somehow...

When you are using a mild washing regime, you need to clarify every once in a while. You know you do when your hair just won't cooperate and it's greasy or dry and crunchy/tangly. The easiest way to clarify is to just do a good sulfate wash. Afterwards, make sure to do a good conditioner soak too.

To prevent build-up, make sure not to use coney conditioners more than once without washing with sulfates.

Hope that makes sense to you;)

MotherConfessor
June 8th, 2013, 02:07 PM
Good point, I will give that a shot

Ocelan
June 8th, 2013, 03:10 PM
My hair gets somehow more moisturised and softer aswell when it gets braided or bunned when wet or moist, but I do agree you may have had build up too which was probably helped by a proper shampooing. Clarifying definitely helps when you start to feel crunchy or otherwise yucky. You can also clarify with no-sulphate shampoo if you add some baking soda to it. Of course there's also some chelating shampoos that remove mineral build up which one might get from hard water for example. Hopefully what you did now has a bit longer lasting results and if/when your problem reappears you'll have to find out which factor actually helped: shampoo, the pool water or perhaps the damp braiding. I would assume it was the heavy shampooing working like a clarifier.

jacqueline101
June 8th, 2013, 05:44 PM
It was build up and now your hair should be fine.

cranberrymoonz
June 9th, 2013, 01:47 AM
My hair gets somehow more moisturised and softer aswell when it gets braided or bunned when wet or moist

I experience this too! When I go to sleep with a damp braid my hair is very soft in the morning. Using a leave-in conditioner makes it even better ^_^