PDA

View Full Version : 10 Secrets to Gorgeous Long Hair

Shell
June 7th, 2013, 09:18 PM
Have you all seen this (http://www.allure.com/hair-ideas/2013/secrets-to-gorgeous-long-hair#slide=1) one yet? I agree with two out of ten--twenty percent isn't too bad for mainstream hair care, yes?

Wildcat Diva
June 7th, 2013, 09:30 PM
long gray hair is "nutso"? who knew?

And here I am going around with "matronly" buns. I am so out of fashion.

Kaelee
June 7th, 2013, 09:32 PM
I didn't even get past page one and I'm laughing:

CUT IT MORE OFTEN "The ends of long hair have been styled and colored so many times that they get dry and frizzy quickly," says hairstylist Serge Normant.

Oh really have they now? :lol:

Wildcat Diva
June 7th, 2013, 10:09 PM
They have if you go see Serge.

Zindell
June 7th, 2013, 10:34 PM
Oh really have they now? :lol:

My thought as well! :cool:

Also... what is wrong with looking matronly? Maybe it is not submissive enough to please some men out there?

Oh, and I'm totally going for the "nutso" gray haired look when my hair finally turns.

CaranDulin
June 7th, 2013, 10:42 PM
So funny! Well, this is a pretty good list as to what not to do to your hair if you want it natural and healthy. :3

HintOfMint
June 7th, 2013, 10:51 PM
I love this one line, "It doesn't take much effort to make all that hair look good," after going on for pages about this product and that product and this blowout and that blowout...
I know it doesn't take that much effort, but I think we have different ideas on what's a negligent amount of effort.

Wildcat Diva
June 7th, 2013, 11:06 PM
I think there are different ideas there about what is "long" as well. They don't say for sure, but I think they are referring to APL length "long hair"

beryl
June 7th, 2013, 11:17 PM
I was going to say that besides the 'don't wear topknots' (50% of longhairs I've seen don't follow that advice!), the advice sounds like, 'buy this product, go to your stylist for more reasons'. I agree with only about two of the advice-pieces as well: silky pillowcases and scrunchies vs. elastic bands.

@Wildcat Diva--apparently long hair that's all one non-grey colour isn't so pretty either. :agape: What do we need, rainbow locks? Oh well. I'm quite happy living with my matronly buns and blanket of hair. :o

kittengirl
June 8th, 2013, 12:39 AM
Wow, they are a little crazy. Personally I always feel rather glamorous with a sleek bun tied up with a ribbon! Guess I'm deceiving myself, lol. I feel like if I followed their advice my hair would hate me.

NymphSpirit
June 8th, 2013, 12:49 AM
This article is not lying though, it says long, shiny and sexy hair, it never did say healthy! :rolling:

Sounds to me the hairstylists interviewed for this really live in a jar! A top knot is not stylish unless it's small? Tell that to all the fashion blogs with tutorials on how to style big fluffy top knots aimed at fashion-following teens! And This Potempa person seems to like giving all her clients the same haircut :disgust:

Sarahlabyrinth
June 8th, 2013, 01:09 AM
Nutso? Matronly? How dare they?

MaryO
June 8th, 2013, 01:10 AM
Bwahaha, I enjoyed all the comments here! ;)

MaryMarx
June 8th, 2013, 03:34 AM
They have if you go see Serge.
Haha, probably true.

MaryMarx
June 8th, 2013, 03:37 AM
'But long hair that's all one nongray color isn't so pretty, either: "Without subtle highlights, really long hair looks too heavy and solid—like a blanket," says hairstylist Garren.'
I'd LOVE my hair to look like a blanket. :rolleyes:

Fethenwen
June 8th, 2013, 03:51 AM
I love this one line, "It doesn't take much effort to make all that hair look good," after going on for pages about this product and that product and this blowout and that blowout...
I know it doesn't take that much effort, but I think we have different ideas on what's a negligent amount of effort.

hahaha, exactly :p

lazuliblue
June 8th, 2013, 03:58 AM
'...long gray hair looks a little nutso'...says who?!? What an incredibly insulting thing to write.

FireFromWithin
June 8th, 2013, 04:00 AM
I love the way they say you have to blow dry the roots because the hair is too heavy. I can imagine the hair is heavy if you've out that much product in it! And of course your ends will be dry if you have a blow out every 3 days and bleach your hair to make it less 'blanket like'. I'd love to have hair long enough to be like a blanket. And how they mention that you need to cut it off to get rid of damage but don't mention that you wouldn't have to if you stopped blow drying and bleaching your hair to start with. The only problem I could see with top knots would be if the weight of the hair hurts the head.

Neneka
June 8th, 2013, 04:06 AM
I want heavy and solid hair blanket too! And I really doubt that I look matronly with my buns although I would like to. :lol: People still think I am 18-16 years old.

Vampyria
June 8th, 2013, 04:34 AM
I would love a blanket hair too. :) I do agree with layers for square face/jaw, one length just doesn't look right on me. Otherwise I don't think layers are necessary at all, or that they look any better then one length hair. Dry shampoo and conditioner sound pretty awful to me. They say less is more, but then all the highlighting, blow drying, volumizer, texturizing spray. And all those products aren't even meant to make hair healthy, just to make it look "good".

LadyCelestina
June 8th, 2013, 04:48 AM
It doesn't take that much effort to make all that hair look good. In fact, you can get away with blow-drying just your volumizer-coated roots as long as you mist the ends with a texturizing spray, such as (product) ...

I must be blessed with a mane straight from heaven,since I can make all that hair look good even without all that fuss.Or maybe are my definitions of good looking hair just a little nutso.

And hey,I love top knots and buns high on my head!Buns at the nape either fall out,tug at my roots or get rubbed on stuff.

Bagginslover
June 8th, 2013, 04:54 AM
I personally think 'matronly' when I see nape buns, not higher up ones!! Not that I think nape ones are THAT matronly either, doesn't stop me wearing them! How silly!

Angelica
June 8th, 2013, 05:18 AM
I think that top knots look elegant and far from matronly. The article contained the usual kind of advice. It was good to hear that models take vitamins for their hair as well :)

EdG
June 8th, 2013, 06:50 AM
6 out of 10 "recommendations" were product endorsements.

2 out of 10 said to use more services.

Our best secret, benign neglect, doesn't have commercial support. :rolleyes:
Ed

kitschy
June 8th, 2013, 07:02 AM
This is a fashion statement. Fashion is a way to stay invisible by looking like everyone else in the "approved" style. I'm a proud, unique nutso!

Anje
June 8th, 2013, 08:09 AM
I look forward to my eventual nutso-dom!

Also, how dare we have anything but V-shaped hemlines?

jacqueline101
June 8th, 2013, 09:19 AM
I couldn't get past line one of the first page.

gonzobird
June 8th, 2013, 09:41 AM
Pretty much wreak havoc on your hair so you can cut/color/visit a salon more. And buy a bunch of not that good of stuff to help with all that you just did to it.

I work part time as a receptionist in a fancy schmancy salon, and a girl I work with asked me one day how my hair is soooooo long (waist) as she was getting her hair bleach shampooed, lifted, lifted again, outgrowth touched up and toned. I asked if she was serious. "I dont do THAT to my hair, that's why.". She smiled and said it was too much work to be nice to your hair. eeeeesh.

meteor
June 8th, 2013, 11:36 AM
It was horrible to see a dermatologist in the article refer to avocado oil and coconut oil as "essential oils". :rolleyes:
Lots of laughable advice there! :)

I am a bit curious about that "dry conditioner" though. Anybody tried this?

dwell_in_safety
June 8th, 2013, 01:37 PM
I tried following SOME of the typical advice for average white person hair when I was a teenager. It was like benign neglect, only the mechanical damage and following what my mother with type 1b hair said to do created a mess. I used to hate my hair even though I had it long and thought getting beautiful hair would take an enormous amount of effort because I was thinking from the typical mindset of "more product, more following this advice = good hair." That was very wrong indeed. My hair is the best it has ever been because I don't mess with it and follow an extremely simple routine.

leslissocool
June 8th, 2013, 01:44 PM
I work part time as a receptionist in a fancy schmancy salon, and a girl I work with asked me one day how my hair is soooooo long (waist) as she was getting her hair bleach shampooed, lifted, lifted again, outgrowth touched up and toned. I asked if she was serious. "I dont do THAT to my hair, that's why.". She smiled and said it was too much work to be nice to your hair. eeeeesh.

:rollin:

I'm the laziest person, a 30 second bun is as much work as I'm willing to do to my hair!

lapushka
June 8th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Only the advice on a satin pillowcase sounded somewhat normal to me. The rest is plain old BS, and easily forgotten.

Lunadriael
June 8th, 2013, 06:43 PM
I'd rather be 'nutso' than a sheep... But yeah, you could tell they were mostly trying to sell stuff. Sigh.

kidari
June 8th, 2013, 07:07 PM
lol I'm enjoying the comments on this thread... it's funny how the masses are brainwashed to spend so much time, effort, and money on their hair in a constant losing bottle for long healthy hair.

beryl
June 8th, 2013, 11:43 PM
@kidari--a constant, losing bottle? :lol:

Michiru
June 9th, 2013, 01:39 AM
Oh my gosh, that was awful. I do like allure but I never read their hair advice and this reminded me why. Want long hair - cut it. So . . . Want to lose wait - eat cheesecake; Want to built good muscle tone - you better not think of exercising.

mzBANGBANG
June 9th, 2013, 10:27 AM
I have to disagree with the top knot comment. I look horrible with a bun at the nape of my neck. Doesn't fit my face shape at all! Also I may have missed it, but what does proportion have to do with having longer hair in the first place? Those were mostly style tips!

AlyBlu
June 9th, 2013, 05:17 PM
I second the "essential Oil" comment - uh, yeah - no. Avocado and coconut are carrier oils - beneficial for the hair - but they are not essential oils. But then again, I must be nuts - with my gray hairs in my topnot bun!

Eireann
June 11th, 2013, 11:54 AM
The best thing I ever did for my hair was to stop using expensive commercial products. Go figure!

Vrindi
June 11th, 2013, 12:16 PM
That was one long advertisement selling some stinky excrement. :poop:

alexis917
June 11th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Um...I actually feel very low buns look matronly on me, because I'm fifteen and they make me feel older than I am...
That said, this seems less like genuine advice and more like,
let us tell you how to be pretty!
For a small fee of x dollars, which can be made in only 4 easy payments! Call now! XD