PDA

View Full Version : 50 Insane Facts About Hair

GoldLady
June 6th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Hi friends, both new and ... mature! ;) I thought this 'infographic' about hair was so cute and positive, I'd share it with TLHC. An excerpt from the article says: "..hair is an extension of your personality, so use it to your advantage. There is no excuse to not utilize the potential of your hair. The hair industry is a grand organization filled with products, hair dressers, and accessories. You would be surprised to learn of all the people that pay a pretty penny for that top-of-the-line hair product. However, with all the time and money that is spent on hair, have you ever stopped to wonder what else our hair is made of? Or if anyone else has the same hair routine as you do?" Sorry this is all run together. My return key isn't working here. Is it me or is there a glitch I can fix?? Here (http://dailyinfographic.com/50-insane-facts-about-hair-infographic?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+DailyInfographic+%28Daily+Inf ographic%29) is the article.

lazuliblue
June 6th, 2013, 01:20 PM
I love it! So many interesting facts :D

leslissocool
June 6th, 2013, 02:01 PM
Anticipation of sex makes hair grow faster?!?!?

Is that true? :couch: I need to experiment...

rock007junkie
June 6th, 2013, 04:12 PM
Those were pretty entertaining

lapushka
June 6th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Nice snippets! :D

Angelica
June 6th, 2013, 04:31 PM
Very interesting facts. I knew some of them already, but still fascinating to read them again :)

patienceneeded
June 6th, 2013, 04:53 PM

I had the exact same thought!

Interesting facts.

sarah112786
June 6th, 2013, 05:29 PM
thanks for sharing!

kme81
June 6th, 2013, 05:30 PM

lol! My initial thought: "Well, I guess I'm getting a growth spurt before my wedding!" haha!

jacqueline101
June 6th, 2013, 05:41 PM
That is interesting.

spidermom
June 6th, 2013, 06:15 PM
That thing about sex - how would they know?

RavennaNight
June 6th, 2013, 06:32 PM

Lol yep! Is that why it grows fast in the summer? All that anticipation in the spring?

Natalia
June 6th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Hahaha that "grows faster in anticipation of ___" if that were true my hair should be at my ankles by now!

HintOfMint
June 6th, 2013, 09:19 PM
Can we define "anticipating sex?" Does it mean you know you'll get some? Or does it mean just wanting it? If the latter, does it mean wanting it but not getting it, i.e. blue... ya know? Or does it mean wanting it and then getting it, which means it's almost interchangeable with getting some, so that means getting some makes hair grow faster? Unless they're specifying wanting sex as opposed to getting it but lying back and thinking of England?

... and my brain just short circuited.

MaryMarx
June 7th, 2013, 02:37 AM
About your key problem, does shift+enter work?

GoldLady
June 7th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Ohhh, let me check, MaryMax. Thanks for the tip! Well, poop. That didn't work. 'Insert row' isn't getting a 'return' either. :hmm:

gonzobird
June 7th, 2013, 12:29 PM
Can we define "anticipating sex?" Does it mean you know you'll get some? Or does it mean just wanting it? If the latter, does it mean wanting it but not getting it, i.e. blue... ya know? Or does it mean wanting it and then getting it, which means it's almost interchangeable with getting some, so that means getting some makes hair grow faster? Unless they're specifying wanting sex as opposed to getting it but lying back and thinking of England?

Ha!!!!!
It could be all of that! I showed the anticipation one to a 28 year old virgin I work with and her jaw hit the floor. For what reason I don't know. Shock maybe. Disbelief. Or maybe it answered all her longing questions? It was hysterical.

heidi w.
June 7th, 2013, 12:57 PM
So that's why my hair is so slow in growing back. I have no one to anticipate sex with. Well, golly!
heidi w.
Oh, and what position should I use?

Paranda Belle
June 7th, 2013, 01:06 PM
I'm sure the fact about the beard is wrong. I know Sikh men who have pretty long beards who have never shaved, but I have never seen them 30 feet long.

RavennaNight
June 7th, 2013, 01:17 PM
So, if we want to be technical,

an·tic·i·pate
/anˈtisəˌpāt/
Verb
Regard as probable; expect or predict.
Guess or be aware of (what will happen) and take action in order to be prepared.
Synonyms
expect - foresee - forestall - await

In other words, the definition of anticipate makes no mention of that which is anticipate actually occurring.

Nedertane
June 7th, 2013, 08:53 PM
Very interesting. Geeze though, $780 a YEAR? How is that even possible?? Even if you figure that in one year, someone purchases...

- 1 hair dryer: $40 (average price between cheapo's and higher-end ones)
- 1 straightener: $70 (ditto)
- 1 curling iron: $70 (ditto)
- 1-3 packs of hair ties: $10
- 1-3 packs of bobby pins: $10
- 6 boxes of hair dye (about 1 every two months, assuming they are doing it at home): $90
- 6 bottles of spray, mouse, or gel (again, about 1 every two months): $60
- 8 or so salon trips (between every one or two months, much as that might be laughable to LHC): $360 (an average amount of about $45 per visit, between cheap trims or expensive dye jobs)

Unless there's anything I'm not figuring in (though that seemed like an extensive list to me, and some of those products you wouldn't even be buying yearly, ie. the heat tools), it only comes to $650. That's close, but I'd still say there's a significant difference (though I refuse to do a t or chi-square test to find out lol). Of course, I may be over- or under-estimating in one or all of my hypothetical purchases listed.

MaryO
June 8th, 2013, 01:16 AM
Very interesting! I cringed a bit when hearing how many hairs I probably lose a day!

gonzobird
June 8th, 2013, 09:52 AM
Nedertane, most salon visits are way more than 45. By me, cut, average 45, touch up, 50 ends 30, few foils 30, toner too, 20 , lets throw some elumen on there too, 45.
$220.
Thats pretty standard, maybe not all those things every time, but a full foil no cut or anything is around $100, so even that a few times a year...holy waste of money, eh??? :)

meteor
June 8th, 2013, 10:28 AM
I was surprised about the differences in the average number of hair strands:
Blonde - 146 k
Red - 86 k
Brown - 100 k
Black - 110 k

Those are HUGE differences! So on average blondes have almost 70% more hair than redheads and 46% more than people with brown hair? Really?
I guess it makes sense for most blondes who darken to brunettes as they age... and lose hair as they age.
But still, I'm really surprised.

Ligeia_13
June 13th, 2013, 05:12 PM

I'm going to say it's probably more likely when you're wanting it? Because I spent 2 years in a relationship with hair that grew very slow. Obviously, it's not that I didn't want sex, more that I got used to it. Yet now I've been single for 5 months and I really miss it and wish for it (sorry :p) my hair is growing like crazy.

I am quite surprised that brown isn't the most common hair colour.

alexis917
June 13th, 2013, 05:16 PM
The anticipation of sex one made my day!
In Korea, people say that thinking of sex/being easily aroused causes faster growth.
Apparently, the old wives tale is true!

leslissocool
June 13th, 2013, 05:34 PM
So, after researching and validating the facts, it seems that arousal and anticipation releases certain hormones and helps circulation to scalp.

Research was done on seamen, apparently hair growth peaked 2 weeks prior to land and decreased 2 weeks after getting on the boat :shocked:.

So, there you have it. They also compared hair of people who orgasm frequently and people who don't, finding that the first ones had shinier/thicker hair.

Wow.... I'm a bit enlightened...

Morale: Think dirty dirty thoughts :lol: and have, ehem, higher expectations.

HintOfMint
June 13th, 2013, 08:11 PM
So, after researching and validating the facts, it seems that arousal and anticipation releases certain hormones and helps circulation to scalp.

Research was done on seamen, apparently hair growth peaked 2 weeks prior to land and decreased 2 weeks after getting on the boat :shocked:.

So, there you have it. They also compared hair of people who orgasm frequently and people who don't, finding that the first ones had shinier/thicker hair.

Wow.... I'm a bit enlightened...

Morale: Think dirty dirty thoughts :lol: and have, ehem, higher expectations.

High. Freaking. Five.

Lolaaa
July 26th, 2013, 02:11 PM
Thanks for this post!

Skade
July 26th, 2013, 03:22 PM
What a great and fun article about hair!

mary*rose
July 26th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Leslisssocool, thank you for the research. It is muchly appreciated :)

Komao
July 26th, 2013, 03:52 PM
I'm so glad we don't have to dye our hair with pigeon dung or horse urine, yuck. Very interesting article:eek:

Leeloo
July 26th, 2013, 03:54 PM
Very interesting article. Thanks for reviving it.

Annibelle
July 26th, 2013, 05:38 PM
For the average woman spending over $700/year on hair stuff, I think the women in Hollywood probably skew things quite a bit. It wouldn't be unusual for them to spend hundreds on hair alone for a night out, I would think.

owlathena
July 27th, 2013, 12:47 AM
Interesting! Thanks for sharing!

Mizumi
July 27th, 2013, 03:41 AM
Wow It's interesting. But 780$ per year for styling products?? No way! :D

Buffy
July 27th, 2013, 05:26 AM
Very interesting and fun article!

CurlyCaz
July 27th, 2013, 07:53 AM
Love the article.

I liked the fact that the ancient Greeks thought redheads wold turn into vampires when they died. :D