PDA

View Full Version : Medication and hair shed?

Henna_Goddess
June 5th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Ive been taking Welburtin and Lexapro since January to treat depression caused by a very stressful situation. At that time I also lost 36 lbs in less than two months. I've noticed that my, already fine hair, has been shedding more than normal. My mom has even brought my attention to all the hair she's found. I started taking prenatal vitamins in February to help keep my body healthy after losing so much weight so quickly. Then started taking biotin and now collagen supplements to help with my skin, hair and nails. Has anyone experienced a huge shed under duress? What did you do to stop it? My hair has gotten a little better but not where it was before December last year.

By the way, my profile picture is what my hair used to look like. Now it's just dry and seems brittle.

goldloli
June 5th, 2013, 10:06 PM
Actually both those medications have hair loss listed on their side effects, in the uncommon section meaning a couple people out of a thousand will experience that side effect. A lot of antidepressants can cause hairloss, when making the choice with my doctor some years ago, they started me off on one that didnt have it on the side effect profile because they knew how attached to my hair i was, especially since half the reason for seeing them was hair pulling. If it's the only recent change id go see your doc.

I don't know if it has anything to do with the condition of hair sorry and good luck.

EDIT: btw my money is on the lexapro for causing weightloss, felt like i was on some kind of upper and lost my appetite when i tried it.

goldloli
June 5th, 2013, 10:11 PM
oh and supplements wont do anything if those medications are to blame, only discontinuation/tapering off the offending drug will, it's probs best you go see ur doc.

HumanBean
June 5th, 2013, 11:40 PM
Any weight loss of 15 lbs or more can trigger a shed also. So even if it wasn't the drugs specifically, the weight loss could have done it.

OleanderTime
June 6th, 2013, 12:28 AM
Just in terms of actual risk, much more likely the dramatic weight loss and even the stress itself caused it. Meds can, but less likely and something we have less control over in some sense.

It scares me to take a med with hair loss listed as a common side effect, but I really shouldn't go off it, so I try to manage the things I can even better. One of the reasons I'm on this board! Good luck, pm me if you want.

Angelica
June 7th, 2013, 04:24 PM
Go back to the doctor and let them know of the side effects you are experiencing. There's ample medication they can prescribe which will be more aggreeable to your system.

novemberfoxtrot
June 7th, 2013, 05:44 PM
I'll be watching this thread. I just added Welbutrin to my Lexapro today. Was your weight loss before or after you started the treatment? I lost weight from my depression and then put on more with the prescription. if it makes me gain weight AND lose hair I'll be extra disappointed.

Henna_Goddess
June 9th, 2013, 11:30 AM
I'll be watching this thread. I just added Welbutrin to my Lexapro today. Was your weight loss before or after you started the treatment? I lost weight from my depression and then put on more with the prescription. if it makes me gain weight AND lose hair I'll be extra disappointed.

I lost the weight before I started the Wellbutrin. I was taking Celexa which I DO NOT recommend anyone taking. I had to beg for the Wellbutrin and having taken it before I knew it would work for me. I'm fairly certain it was the stress, anxiety and fast weight loss that caused my hair shed. I don't remember losing hair the last time I was on Wellbutrin, which was 15 years before this time. BTW Welbutrin and Lexapro are a very good and common combination to treat depression and anxiety. You'll be feeling 'normal' soon. :)