PDA

View Full Version : To stave off doing anything rash...

HintOfMint
June 5th, 2013, 01:44 PM
I had been seriously considering a chop. Ever since this Haagen Daz commercial, I've been dreaming of this darling little haircut: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ono88VFVs5U
Then I started thinking about highlights, little rose gold ones. Then flat ironing, then curling, then waist length, then even a brazilian keratin treatment (a thought that lasted all of five minutes).
Then I realized that I was just wildly bored.
I have bangs and face framing layers. I have spin pins for updos. I have caruso rollers. I know how to wrap my hair to straighten it. My hair is exactly where I want it to be and I have no real qualms about it. But I really wanted to do something different.

So I went to Etsy, and bought these:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/150368588/a-pair-of-vintage-cloisonne-enameled?ref=usr_faveitems
And I think they really scratched the itch. I never put anything decorative in my hair and this might be enough for me. A side note: what is it with hair combs being almost an exclusively bridal thing?! Thousands of hair combs on Etsy and the vast majority are with pearls and white rhinestones and blinged to the moon!

What do you guys do to relieve hair boredom?

ravenreed
June 5th, 2013, 02:27 PM
New hair toys scratch a lot of itches for me, as does successfully working out a new updo. I just sorted out a faux Gibson Tuck that my mom said looked stunning. I will have to do it again and get a picture for the forums. It was ridiculously easy, which is my favorite type of updo.

ETA: My mom bought some similar little combs for me a while ago. I haven't worn them yet, but I remember having some as a kid. I love them!

Kherome
June 5th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Those are really pretty. I'm afraid I don't have any creative suggestions. A trip through youtube for updo ideas sometimes help, otherwise I just put it up with my favorite sticks and try to ignore it.

Kherome
June 5th, 2013, 02:30 PM
Oh and that Gelato is seriously good.

HintOfMint
June 5th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Oh and that Gelato is seriously good.

Oh my god, I know! I tried the stracciatella and it was incredible.

HintOfMint
June 5th, 2013, 02:44 PM
New hair toys scratch a lot of itches for me, as does successfully working out a new updo. I just sorted out a faux Gibson Tuck that my mom said looked stunning. I will have to do it again and get a picture for the forums. It was ridiculously easy, which is my favorite type of updo.

ETA: My mom bought some similar little combs for me a while ago. I haven't worn them yet, but I remember having some as a kid. I love them!

Ooh please do! I think similar combs could also look really pretty in that hairstyle, I'd love to see them.

Those are really pretty. I'm afraid I don't have any creative suggestions. A trip through youtube for updo ideas sometimes help, otherwise I just put it up with my favorite sticks and try to ignore it.

Thank you!

jeanniet
June 5th, 2013, 03:11 PM
I'm probably not the one to ask. I cut my hair. I wasn't enjoying it at the length it was at (past hip, and almost BCL), so I cut back to hip. Then waist. Then BSL. Then I started doing curly girl, because I really wanted to see how much I could enhance my curls. Now I kind of realize that in order to really learn how to manage my hair full-on curly, I need it shorter because I'm a bit of a dolt that way. It just takes so long to dry because it's thick. So I'm going for a curly cut next week, and I'm thinking I'll end up around APL with layers. And I'm totally OK with that, because my hair grows reasonably fast, and I can get back to hip within three years if I want to. I need adventure, so this is the next step in my hair journey.

Kherome
June 5th, 2013, 03:13 PM

That's the one...Mmmm

leslissocool
June 5th, 2013, 03:20 PM
:rollin: that commercial... Plate throwing and all, that's the house I grew up in! :lol:. Thanks for sharing!

I need to try it, I haven't had stracciatella since back home! I tried to make it from an old Italian recipe I found online :bigeyes: it was horrible.

kidari
June 5th, 2013, 03:32 PM
I'm thoroughly enjoying this thread! It seems every spring/summer I get incredibly bored and do something rash. I've had around BSL length most of my life and wanted to cut it short like the girl in the commercial and I cut from MBL to BSL to APL to shoulder and then to chin. I absolutely loved it like crazy. It was so fun and freeing and I got to experiment. Then I got over it and grew it back. The plan was only get to APL and maintain there. I found LHC and grew to waist lol. However, I reach waist usually around spring every year and the beginning of every summer I chop it or something. I am attached to my long hair now but I don't completely enjoy it at waist length with few layers and I get bored. My strategy has been to do something that only involved the last 2-3 inches of my hair... once I ombred the last 4 or so inches of it then the next summer I chopped off 4 inches and then this spring I thinned out the last 3 inches all over. My hair grows super fast so a 4-5 inch cut is grown back in 6 months or so without growth spurts. Each time I do something it's instant gratification without requiring 2-3 years to grow it back to MBL (my absolute favorite length for my hair). I can live with 3-6 months of growing it back if I regret it and it's funny because each time I did something I always did regret it. I hated how my ombre tends to turn brassy and orange and then 6 months down the road my hair is like straw and I need to chop it off. I hate 25" length on me and the blunt ends make my hair look too thick like a pyramid and updos are annoying with thick blunt ends. I hate thinned out ends at waist length, because my hair looks so thin and the ends grab each other when I try to detangle and it looks really bad as it grows out more.

I love the advice and personal stories on this thread. Sometimes it is nicer to be a little adventurous with your hair, because it's likely you will learn so many valuable things that way while having fun with your hair. Also, now that I know I am committed to longer hair I am enjoying the advice about new updos and new toys. I love the combs. I already chopped off about 2-3 inches since the end of April and at the moment I just do heat-free curls so that my hair appears a lot shorter without actually having to cut it.

Kherome
June 5th, 2013, 03:45 PM
Chopping was never an issue for me, though I do admit to loving a good 1.5" trim now and then...but what cured me of ever wanting to cut was Timberstone Turnings. I am constantly amazed at how beautiful they are, and I couldn't imagine cutting my hair off so that I couldn't wear them. So I grow on! And so does my TT collection!

kidari
June 5th, 2013, 03:56 PM
Chopping was never an issue for me, though I do admit to loving a good 1.5" trim now and then...but what cured me of ever wanting to cut was Timberstone Turnings. I am constantly amazed at how beautiful they are, and I couldn't imagine cutting my hair off so that I couldn't wear them. So I grow on! And so does my TT collection!

You're so lucky because I get scissor happy. I do regret it each time I do it. I should challenge myself to just leave it alone and then reward myself with new nicer hairsticks. Hm...

Seeshami
June 5th, 2013, 05:20 PM
Now I have to go to TCBY and get frozen yogurt buried in mochi.... stupid hot weather, stupid ice cream addiction.

Tia2010
June 5th, 2013, 06:01 PM
I'm the worst at this..

When I get bored- out come the scissors and I lose length. It's taken me 2+ years just to get from APL to past waist because I just can not leave my length alone :rolleyes: an inch here a few there....

I tried hair toys and updo's but I always end up taking off a few inches off if I get to bored with it.

And now if you will excuse me .... I have to go out and buy some Gelato :)

ravenreed
June 5th, 2013, 06:05 PM
I love comet buns because they shorten my hair to a manageable length and feel less severe than my normal nautilus bun.

I'm thoroughly enjoying this thread! It seems every spring/summer I get incredibly bored and do something rash. I've had around BSL length most of my life and wanted to cut it short like the girl in the commercial and I cut from MBL to BSL to APL to shoulder and then to chin. I absolutely loved it like crazy. It was so fun and freeing and I got to experiment. Then I got over it and grew it back. The plan was only get to APL and maintain there. I found LHC and grew to waist lol. However, I reach waist usually around spring every year and the beginning of every summer I chop it or something. I am attached to my long hair now but I don't completely enjoy it at waist length with few layers and I get bored. My strategy has been to do something that only involved the last 2-3 inches of my hair... once I ombred the last 4 or so inches of it then the next summer I chopped off 4 inches and then this spring I thinned out the last 3 inches all over. My hair grows super fast so a 4-5 inch cut is grown back in 6 months or so without growth spurts. Each time I do something it's instant gratification without requiring 2-3 years to grow it back to MBL (my absolute favorite length for my hair). I can live with 3-6 months of growing it back if I regret it and it's funny because each time I did something I always did regret it. I hated how my ombre tends to turn brassy and orange and then 6 months down the road my hair is like straw and I need to chop it off. I hate 25" length on me and the blunt ends make my hair look too thick like a pyramid and updos are annoying with thick blunt ends. I hate thinned out ends at waist length, because my hair looks so thin and the ends grab each other when I try to detangle and it looks really bad as it grows out more.

I love the advice and personal stories on this thread. Sometimes it is nicer to be a little adventurous with your hair, because it's likely you will learn so many valuable things that way while having fun with your hair. Also, now that I know I am committed to longer hair I am enjoying the advice about new updos and new toys. I love the combs. I already chopped off about 2-3 inches since the end of April and at the moment I just do heat-free curls so that my hair appears a lot shorter without actually having to cut it.

jacqueline101
June 6th, 2013, 06:03 PM
I'd do the two week rule and go from there.

HintOfMint
June 8th, 2013, 11:27 PM
So I went to Etsy, and bought these:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/150368588/a-pair-of-vintage-cloisonne-enameled?ref=usr_faveitems
And I think they really scratched the itch. I never put anything decorative in my hair and this might be enough for me. A side note: what is it with hair combs being almost an exclusively bridal thing?! Thousands of hair combs on Etsy and the vast majority are with pearls and white rhinestones and blinged to the moon!

What do you guys do to relieve hair boredom?

My combs have arrived! It's late and my indoor light's not great but when I can I'll post pics! I can't wait to experiment!

Charybdis
June 9th, 2013, 03:30 AM
I'm probably not the one to ask. I cut my hair. I wasn't enjoying it at the length it was at (past hip, and almost BCL), so I cut back to hip. Then waist. Then BSL. Then I started doing curly girl, because I really wanted to see how much I could enhance my curls. Now I kind of realize that in order to really learn how to manage my hair full-on curly, I need it shorter because I'm a bit of a dolt that way. It just takes so long to dry because it's thick. So I'm going for a curly cut next week, and I'm thinking I'll end up around APL with layers. And I'm totally OK with that, because my hair grows reasonably fast, and I can get back to hip within three years if I want to. I need adventure, so this is the next step in my hair journey.

jeanniet, your hair is overall curlier than mine, but I know what you mean. I can only cope with CG on shoulder length or shorter, because drying takes TOO LONG. Also, I shed a lot, and I really need to detangle fully at least every other day. I'm at BSL now, and trying to bring out the curl fully is just not practical. But I'm experimenting with buns, since the last time I had WL hair was prior to the days of great YouTube instructional videos!

But, yes, variety is the spice of life and all that. :)