PDA

View Full Version : Hair type issue?

Kherome
June 5th, 2013, 09:24 AM
I'm wondering if I haven't figured my hair out all wrong.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's had this happen, but my hair has changed a lot as it's gotten longer. Now, at TBL it's fairly straight, with a slight wave through it especially in the middle bit. But that wasn't always the case. So, do I treat my hair as 1b as I "guess" it looks now? Or do I treat it as whatever you'd call this photo when it was shoulder length? Any what DO you call this 1c? 2a? This is my hair washed and air dried, nothing else done to it. (There is a hat perched on my head, that is the white thing you can see in the background.)

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj135/iwasbornonahorse/98b25ac7-3cd4-4907-a7b9-bf0be754df25_zps8e9e67d3.jpg (http://s271.photobucket.com/user/iwasbornonahorse/media/98b25ac7-3cd4-4907-a7b9-bf0be754df25_zps8e9e67d3.jpg.html)

lapushka
June 5th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Looks 1b/1c ish to me in the picture.

Kiwiwi
June 5th, 2013, 11:19 AM
You have definite waves in that picture. That is not in the 1 range. There are no waves in 1. Just stick straight or some 'body'. (Atleast, that's what I learned)
I'd say atleast 2a.

But that was back then...
Do you have a picture of it now? And then washed and dried untouched so we can really do the hair typing thing.

Also, do you feel your current routine is doing your hair wrong? Cos I'd say; if it works don't change it :)

jeanniet
June 5th, 2013, 11:41 AM
What I see in the picture is about 2a. Agree with Kiwiwi on that. I think your waves are probably loose enough that the longer length is just pulling them out. If your avatar picture is your uncurled hair, it's definitely wavy there, too. I don't think you need to treat it any differently, except maybe to keep brushing minimal (like before a wash) and use a wide-toothed comb. You sure do have pretty hair!

Kherome
June 5th, 2013, 12:12 PM
My avatar was sponge curled, so that is much more that I have now. When it was SL It was quite wavy as well as having a few spirals in it, in the front. The longer it got, the less wavy it got. Now it's "straight" I guess. I can't decide if that's good or sad. I just washed it with a chelating shampoo and it's air drying as we speak. I'll try to take a photo later when it's dry.

Anje
June 5th, 2013, 12:30 PM
At LEAST 2a, maybe 2b. It's substantially wavier than mine was at that length.

Firefox7275
June 5th, 2013, 12:42 PM
More like 2a or 2b. You really did not brush, comb or towel turban before taking that photo? Any of those loosen waves.

Kherome
June 5th, 2013, 01:10 PM
I may have combed it with a pick. I don't recall.

spidermom
June 5th, 2013, 01:15 PM
I'd say you're in the 2 range as well.

My type 2C has straightened quite a bit. It can look as straight as 1B on some days. Funny though; I always have a curly halo of baby hairs.

Kherome
June 5th, 2013, 01:33 PM
My hair looks similar to yours in your signature pic Spidermom.

torrilin
June 5th, 2013, 07:32 PM
I'd say your sample picture is 2b. I wouldn't call that a final type, just a reasonable starting point. Some spirals is normally 2c, and depending on your particular hair, 3a might be possible. Dunno. It's definitely not straight, and definitely not super curly.

I'd also say that pretty much anyone, even the straightest of 1a would benefit from learning about curly hair care techniques. Dry hair is a pretty common problem, and mechanical damage too. Since curly hair tends to be dry and fragile and easily broken, the techniques wind up being applicable to almost anyone. Some bits (like scrunching) will enhance curl on curly hair and not so much on straight. But an awful lot of curly techniques are just very basic ways of being gentle or experimenting with products you already have and like.

Anyway... some hair in the nebulous not straight, not super curly range responds to lots of moisture by getting curlier. Other hair in that range will straighten out and get limper due to lots of moisture, and it instead looks curlier with a (somewhat) dryer regimen. Also, it's your hair. While it may wind up being a 3a, that doesn't mean you have to always and forever go for the curliest possible look. It's ok to go with a routine that doesn't produce maximum curl. The point is to know how your hair responds so you can get results you're happy with.