PDA

View Full Version : Forget the politics - what about the hair? [Governor Sarah Palin]

k_hepburn
August 29th, 2008, 03:37 PM
I hope it is all right to post something on the latest vice presidential candidate to have been announced - not being an American I only have an outsider's stake in this election (as does most of the world, when it comes to the question of who is going to be the next president of the United States), and I promise this is going to be completely apolitical:

True to LHC fashion, I can't help feeling curious about what kind of a hairstyle that is that Sarah Palin is sporting. I tried to find some pictures of her with her hair down but couldn't find any so far (there may be some on the governor's official website, but that is currently down). All of the pictures I have seen show with the same style of updo, slightly poofed up (backcombed?) at the top of her head, with a rather large mass of hair at the back of her head, that somehow manages to look loose and stay tightly in place at the same time. I'm intrigued to know, for starters, how long her hair really is (I suspect it isn't actually all that long, there doesn't appear to be too much weight in it to me). But if anybody has a clue as to what it is she actually does with her hair to make it look like this, will you please satisfy my curiosity?

katharine (focussing on the really important issues, as usual)

LisaJaney
August 29th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I've been buried in France and haven't seen a television (yes, I missed nearly all the olympics but my hubs taped the swimming and I'll get to see Michael win his 8 medals in January) in several weeks, and when I DID see stuff it was rattled-off in French that was so fast I could't catch but every 20th word or something. Whose runningmate is she?

I have no idea what the hairstyle is; I'll have to google it to see. I've PMd you, K!

TheSpottedCow
August 29th, 2008, 04:18 PM
She's McCain's running mate.

I didn't notice until the OP mentioned it, but her hair is longer than the average female politicians. And it's very shiny. I haven't seen it down either, though.

Euphony
August 29th, 2008, 04:19 PM
hahaha I was looking at her hair this morning and wondering the same thing. I'm kind of thinking her hair is roughly the length you saw, I think it might be a banana clip or something similar to it that is holding her hair.

Hmmm googling images perhaps her hair is long!

spidermom
August 29th, 2008, 04:24 PM
I just found a picture of it down on AOL. It's a bit longer than shoulder length with long layers in the front. I couldn't see the back; it could be as long as APL.

saracuda
August 29th, 2008, 04:55 PM
http://bp2.blogger.com/_uExTzMIDd1Y/R2O5nKq9_tI/AAAAAAAAATE/At2bb_K_3ao/s400/Sarah-Palin-Vogue.jpg

k_hepburn
August 29th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Wow!

:agape:

katharine

driven fool
August 29th, 2008, 05:11 PM
I don't really trust magazine covers, they are too often photoshopped into oblivion. Looking at that cover her neck looks un-naturally thin to support her head. I'm watching fox news as I write this and they are showing videos of her, some clips show her with bsl.

Islandgrrl
August 29th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Interesting...do you think that's really her hair? I just read an article that said she modeled for Vogue while pregnant with the child she gave birth to in April. I kinda get the feeling that the Vogue cover isn't really her body??? But what do I know......?

manderly
August 29th, 2008, 05:22 PM
That's a photoshop people.

Caldonia Sun
August 29th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Here's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQCpBZOZqKk) a youtube vid that shows her with her hair down. She's a lovely woman.

pixiegirl
August 29th, 2008, 05:33 PM
She does seem to be very beautiful and I like her hair too.

dor3girl
August 29th, 2008, 06:30 PM
I don't really trust magazine covers, they are too often photoshopped into oblivion. Looking at that cover her neck looks un-naturally thin to support her head. I'm watching fox news as I write this and they are showing videos of her, some clips show her with bsl.

Yeah--this one looks like they photoshopped her face onto a model--I think this is a farce *giggle*

DMARTINEZ
August 29th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Here's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQCpBZOZqKk) a youtube vid that shows her with her hair down. She's a lovely woman.

I second that she is a lovely woman. Looks great for 44! :)

Deb

Beatnik Guy
August 29th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Erm, folks, when we get to the voting booth in November, can we think about her and McCain's politics rather than their hair and beauty? Obama's ears stick out and his running mate is nearly as old as McCain, but that'd not influence my choice. :wink:

Golden21
August 29th, 2008, 08:16 PM
The person who created that said that it is not real. They were guessing what a magazine cover with her on it would look like. So... we need a different picture of her long hair!

angelthadiva
August 29th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Erm, folks, when we get to the voting booth in November, can we think about her and McCain's politics rather than their hair and beauty? Obama's ears stick out and his running mate is nearly as old as McCain, but that'd not influence my choice. :wink:

But November is so far off, can we fawn over her hair just for today? We are being nice and not doing any political chat, aren't you proud of us?

And BTW, who is the "we" you were referring to? ;)

I agree people, her hair looks fantastic, but she doesn't have it down too much...Smart girl! :)

dorothea-brooke
August 29th, 2008, 08:34 PM
But November is so far off, can we fawn over her hair just for today? We are being nice and not doing any political chat, aren't you proud of us?

I'm with you. Of course we don't vote on the basis of hair (do we???), but it is fun to discuss any long hair in the public eye....

She was a runner-up to Miss Alaska, so she really could be that thin and pencil-necked. ;) [In other words, she at least in the past had a model's body, so perhaps they didn't have to do much to her for that Vogue cover!]

Patrycja
August 29th, 2008, 08:37 PM
I'm sorry but I'll have to be the first one to say....That so isn't her.She's gorgeous but look at that Vogue cover.It looks fake. I can see where her face and neck are easily photoshopped on some other body.If it's her and not a photoshop fake-awesome! I wish I looked that good after having kids.

I caught her on CNN and I did look at her updo.To me, it looked like a peacock twist.Shiny and huhray!! She's a brunette(my natural color but I had some red)!!

ETA-I'm a bit late on this topic so forget on my whole "I'll be the first to say" Oh and my political influence on who runs my country has a lot more to do that who has the best hair.

Bucatini
August 29th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Yes, her hair is great although it looks so much the same in many of those photos. I can't figure out how the style is so soft and natural yet it looks consistently good. For most, doing something loose is hit-or-miss as to whether it will come out the same way twice!

Not to be shallow, but I wish Tina Fey was still on Saturday Night Live. I think that she and Ms. Palin look somewhat alike, and Sat Night Live can be really funny with the political jokes.

rubyann
August 29th, 2008, 08:43 PM
I'd never heard of her before today. Wow, she's gorgeous. Never have I seen such an attractive female politician. Her hair does look to be about BSL in some of the photos I came across. (I couldn't help it, I had to google, see what you made me do!)

Patrycja
August 29th, 2008, 08:51 PM
I would SO vote for Tina Fey.Just because I agree with her views.That woman is brilliant! I can see how you would put those two together, Bucatini

Tressie
August 29th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Oh I'm so glad someone started this! When I saw her with that updo, I thought WOW, a long-hair! You know they showed several clips on Fox News of her doing some gubernatorial duties or whatever, and in one of them her hair looked sort of dark red. It may have been the lighting, but I thought, maybe she is a henna head LOL! She is definitely a lovely woman, and I love that she hasn't cut her hair even after five children and if that's not her body on Vogue I can tell you she looks great in the pics I've seen and on TV.

They say her last child was born in April with Downs syndrome...so sad. She's gone after corruption and the "good ole boy networks". Can't help but mention that her DH is a good looking guy too, did you girls notice?? They've been married 20 years today and she told him she had a surprise for him LOL!! What I've heard so far is really impressive to go along with her good looks...........I've got to say hurray for long hairs and hurray for women!!! You go girl!!!!! :D:D:D

glammer
August 29th, 2008, 09:42 PM
I ran around sporting my new bob for awhile. I experimented with hair products, hair color & styles.
I loved it and thought it worked. But now, I want my hair back! I love Sarah Palin痴 hair! I am growing mine out again starting now!
What do you think about Sarah Palin's hair?

dancingbarefoot
August 29th, 2008, 10:58 PM
She was a runner-up to Miss Alaska, so she really could be that thin and pencil-necked. ;) [In other words, she at least in the past had a model's body, so perhaps they didn't have to do much to her for that Vogue cover!]

In fact, she's so thin that she didn't tell anyone she was pregnant with her last baby until she was seven months along, and no one suspected a thing. Seven months! Her staff and other people who work with her daily were floored when she announced it, because they couldn't tell she was pregnant, much less seven months along.

She rarely seems to wear her hair down, but occasionally you'll see a ponytail at less formal events. The ponytail makes me think her hair is a bit longer than shoulder-length but not BSL.

And yes, I'll be voting platforms, not looks (for ANY candidate). :wink:

manderly
August 29th, 2008, 11:02 PM
It looks like a very well groomed peacock twist to me. In every single picture I've seen of her. Seems to be her go-to style.

I haven't seen her hair down, but I'd guess it's a tad past shoulder.

And for those who missed the first time I posted it: THAT VOGUE COVER IS A PHOTOSHOP, IT IS FAKE.

Miss Murphy
August 30th, 2008, 05:53 AM
Glammer, the subject is already being discussed, over here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=11273) :)

ETA: ...plus it's not really a Hair Poll and Project, is it ;)

Beatnik Guy
August 30th, 2008, 06:32 AM

And BTW, who is the "we" you were referring to? ;)

Oh, I'll be metaphorically in the voting booth... :cheese:

FWIW, political chat isn't banned, it's just fighting about politics that is. As with any subject, if y'all can discuss it politely and not leave the mods a mess and blood to clean up, that's fine. ;)

granitbaby
August 30th, 2008, 07:04 AM
I think she is very pretty. It's nice to see a female politician with long hair. Female politicians often develop a male inspired look including suits and short hair, that's the most common here in Sweden anyway and I guess it's the same in most of the western countries.

marshwoman
August 30th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Anybody brave enough to venture onto Perez H's entertainment site can see a high school pic of her...her hair looks wavy/curly in that.

LisaJaney
August 30th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Gosh she's pretty. Thanks for pointing that out to us, I'm glad to see what's goin' on back-home. I won't BE in the pollingbooth (will be voting from Germany) this November, but plan to vote for hair alone. Yep, I'm THAT stupid. :rolleyes:

Tai Shan Fan
August 30th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Does anyone know how to get that degree of root lift without backcombing? If you do, please, please share :toast:

Golden21
August 30th, 2008, 07:56 AM
I was able to find a picture of her with her hair down that looks like it is at apl, so right around my length! She is very pretty! It will be fun watching her updos on tv!

yogachic
August 30th, 2008, 08:11 AM
I've only seen it once and it was in an updo. I liked it.

Caldonia Sun
August 30th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by Beatnik Guy View Post
Erm, folks, when we get to the voting booth in November, can we think about her and McCain's politics rather than their hair and beauty? Obama's ears stick out and his running mate is nearly as old as McCain, but that'd not influence my choice.

Absolutely! IMO, her politics are attractive, too.

RavennaNight
August 30th, 2008, 08:46 AM
I was stunned as well to see a woman with a bit of length going in politics. But don't get too excited. The "you're gonna be on tv all the time so your publicist/PR people/entourage will pick a look" makeover is coming. Then again maybe she'll show some backbone and stick to her guns (no NRA pun intended :D) and be true to herself.

Calista
August 30th, 2008, 09:10 AM
I think she is very pretty. It's nice to see a female politician with long hair. Female politicians often develop a male inspired look including suits and short hair, that's the most common here in Sweden anyway and I guess it's the same in most of the western countries.
Our German family minister (if thatエs what it is called) Ursula von der Leyen used to have quite long hair which I thought was very pretty. Then some day she cut it off to about shoulder length. :(

This (http://www.familienzentrum-jena.de/presse/buendnisgruendung/gross/fsak06-1-%20174.jpg) is the only picture I found that lets you guess her former length. I think it was about waist. Now she looks like this (http://www.bundesregierung.de/Content/DE/Magazine/emags/ebalance/056/Medien/sa-ursula-von-der-leyen,property=poster.jpg).

She is a physician, by the way, and has seven children, so she is well suited for her job. ;)

jeannie
August 30th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Her hair is very pretty and congratulations to her for keeping it. Along with being the governor of Alaska, I've read that she also has 5 children.

It's very surprising that as a politician who probably has advisors telling her that she needs to look a certain way to engender trust that she has kept her hair, but unfortunately I'm pessimistic about the hair remaining.

Once McCain's Republican handlers get a hold of her they're sure to hack it off. She looks too young and pretty now to be a leader; and you know how shallow most of us Americans are when it comes to our leaders, I知 American by the way. She is too pretty now, the handlers are going to have to tone her down so that she has the typical chopped up look that Nancy Pelosi or Hilary Clinton have.

Give it a bit and they'll have her looking like every other women politician. Hope I知 wrong, but we値l see.

Jeannie

Babyfine
August 30th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Her hair is very pretty and congratulations to her for keeping it. Along with being the governor of Alaska, I've read that she also has 5 children.

It's very surprising that as a politician who probably has advisors telling her that she needs to look a certain way to engender trust that she has kept her hair, but unfortunately I'm pessimistic about the hair remaining.

Once McCain's Republican handlers get a hold of her they're sure to hack it off. She looks too young and pretty now to be a leader; and you know how shallow most of us Americans are when it comes to our leaders, I知 American by the way. She is too pretty now, the handlers are going to have to tone her down so that she has the typical chopped up look that Nancy Pelosi or Hilary Clinton have.

Give it a bit and they'll have her looking like every other women politician. Hope I知 wrong, but we値l see.

Jeannie
Sadly, I think you're right. If they get elected I'm sure she'll be pressured to cut off that hair, to look more "professional", get highlights,ect.
I'm weird but I actually LIKED Hilary Clintons longer hair and headbands(remember the criticism she got for that?)better than the short do she sports now.

dorothea-brooke
August 30th, 2008, 09:29 AM
In fact, she's so thin that she didn't tell anyone she was pregnant with her last baby until she was seven months along, and no one suspected a thing. Seven months! Her staff and other people who work with her daily were floored when she announced it, because they couldn't tell she was pregnant, much less seven months along.

Gah! You're joking!

Well, that is a heckuva feat, I must say. I may not (*ahem*) be voting for her or her hair,* but I have to acknowledge that I think McCain made a brilliant choice. She's a glorious weirdo. :)

*:scared: Beatnik Guy said we could mention politics as long as we were nice to each other. :cookie:

banglaminerva
August 30th, 2008, 09:49 AM
I've been in politics long enough to know that that do might work in Alaska, but not in the contingent states. Sad and annoying, but true.

I've only seen that one look so far (though I also haven't gone looking for anything). She better change it up every so often. I had a teacher eons ago who wore the same updo every day even to today. Wasn't long before we figured it must be a wig to stay the same every day.

Euphony
August 30th, 2008, 10:09 AM
I noticed on this morning's news that she turned around, it does definitely look like a peacock twist, I'm pretty sure I saw the shine of a black claw clip back there.

I have many opinions on why McCain chose her, she is accomplished so that is good, but I wonder how much of choosing her had to do with a popularity contest. She is different, she is attractive, she has a bit longer hair, she has a different and refreshing look. I'm thinking they may not want to mess with her look, it causes attention, her hair is up so it is 'professional' to the eyes of the stuffy people :wink: maybe that's enough.

Xandergrammy
August 30th, 2008, 10:15 AM
That's definitely a photoshopped cover. She was never on the cover of Vogue. Someone was having a bit of fun.

And don't worry, Beatnik Guy. I don't care if about Obama's ears or Biden's age. :grin:

jeannie
August 30th, 2008, 11:10 AM
I have many opinions on why McCain chose her, she is accomplished so that is good, but I wonder how much of choosing her had to do with a popularity contest. She is different, she is attractive, she has a bit longer hair, she has a different and refreshing look. I'm thinking they may not want to mess with her look, it causes attention, her hair is up so it is 'professional' to the eyes of the stuffy people :wink: maybe that's enough.

Unfortuantely, I think that his main reason for choosing her was so that he could get the vote of the disgruntled Hilary supporters. He only met with her twice before he made his announcement, so how much could he really know about her.

For his sake I hope the press and the Democrats aren't able to dig anything up on her. I haven't read enough to have made a decision yet, and McCain isn't getting a pass from me just because he chose her. I'll have to read alot more before I make a decision either way.

Jeannie

Sally
August 30th, 2008, 12:07 PM
She's got great hair.... The pundits are gonna have a hayday (?) with the meaning of this pick of running mate. It sure did draw attention away from the end of the DNC pretty DQ.

We Canadians will soon have to pick between three of hte most uninspiring party leaders ever to grace the national stage, and that's saying something.

lisajaney -- you gonna be voting from the Brandenburg Gate?* ;) (what are you doing over there on the old continent for all this time, anyway?)

* -- perhaps you didn't hear that Obama wanted to deliver his speech in Germany from the BG

Yup, she's sure got nice hair.

Hypnotica
August 30th, 2008, 02:18 PM

I can think of many females in politics that doesn't adopt that....in Sweden, that is.

But we shouldn't open up that can of worms....

Xandergrammy
August 30th, 2008, 02:23 PM
FWIW, political chat isn't banned, it's just fighting about politics that is. As with any subject, if y'all can discuss it politely and not leave the mods a mess and blood to clean up, that's fine. ;)

That's exactly why I try never to get into any fray regarding politics or religion. I don't like bloody messes either. :nono:

darkwaves
August 30th, 2008, 09:31 PM
True to LHC fashion, I can't help feeling curious about what kind of a hairstyle that is that Sarah Palin is sporting. I tried to find some pictures of her with her hair down but couldn't find any so far (there may be some on the governor's official website, but that is currently down). All of the pictures I have seen show with the same style of updo, slightly poofed up (backcombed?) at the top of her head, with a rather large mass of hair at the back of her head, that somehow manages to look loose and stay tightly in place at the same time. From her recent pictures, I think she dropped by the old LHC and read last year's thread (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=74625)on the Puffy Pony comb and bun.

wintersun99
August 30th, 2008, 09:50 PM

Blueglass
August 30th, 2008, 10:23 PM
It's really different for a women in politics, but I don't know if she will keep it like that. I hope so. Maybe it's part of her religion as she is Christian, and very religious, and maybe a Creationist. Some Hillary supporters will vote for her example myself, mom, and dad. My mom says if there are a lot of people who would vote for Obama for socio-political reasons, she will do the same in voting for a women. Even if it's a women she doesn't necessarily agree with. I think that's brillant.

LisaJaney
August 31st, 2008, 02:20 AM
Sally, no I hadn't heard that about the BG speech. Maybe I'll do it? Nah, I'll sit at "home" at the Uni and vote from there. I'm studying a semester in Germany to get the language fluent so I can teach it when I'm finally done with school. I came a fat-month early to spend a month in France with a family and that will end Tues morning (if my tickets arrive tomrrow. If they don't, then I'm going to seriously look into hitchhiking to Germany :silly: )

galen
August 31st, 2008, 04:42 PM
In this undated photo, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin and one of her daughters pose with a caribou she shot.

*pic removed due to content and copyright infringement*

dorothea-brooke
August 31st, 2008, 05:38 PM
<snip>
For his sake I hope the press and the Democrats aren't able to dig anything up on her
<snip>

No digging necessary.... It's all right there on the surface. Corruption allegations, cronyism, favoritism, firing people in public office because they hadn't supported her campaign.... McCain sure did his homework. Not. :rolleyes:

[N.B.: Not politics! Just ethics.]

However, she still has nice hair. :)

thankyousir74
August 31st, 2008, 06:12 PM
Never going to happen (she won't get Hillary Clinton's supporters) to vote for her -- the stances on the issues and the core beliefs of the two figures are polar opposites... so far opposite that they are on different planets.

One would hope...McCain sure was a wily critter in picking someone that would surely get him more votes... I hope people consider the politics before gender... I know I am.

thankyousir74
August 31st, 2008, 06:14 PM
In this undated photo, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin and one of her daughters pose with a caribou she shot.

*pic removed due to content and copyright infringement*
very nice

TheSpottedCow
August 31st, 2008, 06:32 PM
No digging necessary.... It's all right there on the surface. Corruption allegations, cronyism, favoritism, firing people in public office because they hadn't supported her campaign.... McCain sure did his homework. Not. :rolleyes:

However, she still has nice hair. :)

That is very true. I am still trying to figure out why he picked her. Yes, she appeals to the creationists who are anti-abortion... But so do many politicians, and many female politicians, who would have reigned in that base without her weird history.

And, the picture that galen posted really makes me sad.

dorothea-brooke
August 31st, 2008, 06:38 PM
That is very true. I am still trying to figure out why he picked her. Yes, she appeals to the creationists who are anti-abortion... But so do many politicians, and many female politicians, who would have reigned in that base without her weird history.

And, the picture that galen posted really makes me sad.

It's very pro-family. Hunting with your daughter. :rolleyes:

This decision just seems so ... sloppy. Why pick someone with this many skeletons in her closet? And it's not like the allegations are counterbalanced by a whole lot of experience or anything. Whether or not one agrees with McCain's or Palin's politics, it's starting to look like a pretty stupid move on the part of the former.

As one commentator said, "The choice of Palin was greeted with unanimous delight. By Democrats."

wintersun99
August 31st, 2008, 06:40 PM

dorothea-brooke
August 31st, 2008, 06:45 PM
In the Governor's defense, I don't really have much of a problem with hunting (especially for families who hunt for their personal meat) My father has done that my whole life (Elk) and I have to say that I far prefer wild meat, rather than store-bought (for many, many health reasons...) A single Elk, of good size, can feed a family of 4 for the entire winter... The Governor is Alaskan, after all, and hunting/fishing is just part of life... (I assume)

Now, having said that, I do have a major problem with sport/trophy hunters, I believe that to be plain wrong...

I agree -- with reservations. I'm not a vegetarian, so of course I can't be a hypocrite and say that I disapprove of hunting for meat. I just wouldn't want to do it myself. Which, I guess, makes me a hypocrite.... :lol:

However, I just assumed that if one is posing for a photograph of an animal one has just killed, then presumably one has been engaging in trophy hunting.

manderly
August 31st, 2008, 07:10 PM
However, I just assumed that if one is posing for a photograph of an animal one has just killed, then presumably one has been engaging in trophy hunting.

Not true. As the owner and operator as a deep-sea sportfishing boat, we routinely catch large "prize fish" such as Ahi (yellowfin tuna), marlin, and mahi-mahi (dorado or dolphin depending on where you're from).

Sometimes we catch A LOT of fish. Like 20+. Often sportsfishing boats get criticized for this, as it's mostly tourists who want to catch something BIG and take photos and show it off.

What people fail to understand is that when we catch fish, often the toursist don't want any. If they do we will cut up a fish for them to enjoy some fillets.

THE REST ARE SOLD AT THE FISHMARKET FOR FOOD. Anything else is taken to the market and sold to restaurants and grocery stores. Local fishermen tend to keep most of their catch or share with friends.

Now, that doesn't mean we don't have photos of the great catches we've made. Having a photo and being proud of your kill/catch doesn't mean that you won't be eating your prize. My two cents.

And a friendly reminder, let's not get into politics, can we keep it to her hair?

dorothea-brooke
August 31st, 2008, 07:46 PM
<snip>
Having a photo and being proud of your kill/catch doesn't mean that you won't be eating your prize. My two cents. <snip>

This is from a recent news story on Palin:
"Scores of reporters descended Saturday on the A-frame wood hunting lodge where Sarah Palin's parents live amid hundreds of sets of trophy antlers and a taxidermy collection that includes a giant moose head and a full-grown mountain lion."

But, that said:

And a friendly reminder, let's not get into politics, can we keep it to her hair?

Fine by me! :) I don't think hunting is politics, but I see where the discussion is veering kind of close, so I officially agree to talk only about back-combing when it comes to politicians form Alaska from now on. :silly: :cookie:

manderly
August 31st, 2008, 07:57 PM
This is from a recent news story on Palin:
"Scores of reporters descended Saturday on the A-frame wood hunting lodge where Sarah Palin's parents live amid hundreds of sets of trophy antlers and a taxidermy collection that includes a giant moose head and a full-grown mountain lion."

Hehehe, I forgot to add that taxidermists (as far as fish are concerned) no longer require the actual fish. They can reproduce a replica out of fiberglass from a photo and measurements.

Of course, that doesn't stop some fishing booths from cutting off tails or spears (marlin noses) and mounting them to their booths as trophies. You actually need to saw the spear off of a marlin before he goes to market anyways...........

So, icky as trophies are (trust me, I'm on your side that trophy hunting is just gross), having a trophy still doesn't mean the meat wasn't consumed :D

Fine by me! :) I don't think hunting is politics, but I see where the discussion is veering kind of close, so I officially agree to talk only about back-combing when it comes to politicians form Alaska from now on. :silly: :cookie:

Ohhhh, backcombing! That's a much more detested subject here! :eyebrows:

feralnature
August 31st, 2008, 09:09 PM
Ok, back off topic, the hunting/killing thing was getting interesting.

We raise our own meat and I do the killing and butchering myself...and yes, then fry it up in a pan.

Goats, poultry, rabbits. I would rather raise them with love and give them a good life, and then have them meet a swift and merciful end, than buy meat at a grocery store from animals that had a far less pleasant life (and death).

Caldonia Sun
August 31st, 2008, 09:18 PM
Goats, poultry, rabbits. I would rather raise them with love and give them a good life, and then have them meet a swift and merciful end, than buy meat at a grocery store from animals that had a far less pleasant life (and death).

Good point.

morningstar
August 31st, 2008, 09:23 PM
Well back to Sarahs' hair. I saw her the first time on CNN and thought she looked young but her hair was made to look dowdy. I mean I am not a fan of back combed hair. My mom was a beautician and had to do that on many women back in the 60's and even into the 70's. It is a conservative look and it made me chuckle actually. When a woman is young looking at 44 why should she be made to look old? Of course this is the theatrics of politics I know. I agree it was a smooth strategy by the McCain people but not clever enough to take me in. :)

lynnala
September 1st, 2008, 07:52 PM
This might have been mentioned earlier, but I think it might be a front-poof ponytail, the ponytail then teased and pinned.

Tangles
September 1st, 2008, 08:01 PM
I actually like her updo. It is a bit too teased, but other than that it is very elegant and makes her stand out.

lynnala
September 1st, 2008, 09:25 PM
I like it too, kind of retro looking.

heidihug
September 2nd, 2008, 11:22 AM

so I officially agree to talk only about back-combing when it comes to politicians form Alaska from now on.

Well, only after you throw out unsubstantiated accusations, dorothea-brooke.

On actual topic, I think she's an attractive woman, to be sure.

dorothea-brooke
September 2nd, 2008, 11:32 AM
Well, only after you throw out unsubstantiated accusations, dorothea-brooke.

Oh, but this is taken out of context! The discussion was about whether or not she was a good choice (whether anything could be dug up about her), and I said that there didn't appear to be much digging necessary, since all the stuff that was being used against her was right there in the public record, and that the McCain campaign either hadn't done their homework or hadn't cared.

My only point was about the wisdom of choosing someone under this kind of ongoing investigation (that is not an unsubstantiated accusation; the investigation is also a matter of public record), not about whether or not she actually did what she's accused of.

Hope that helps clarify my point.

Now, back to her hair.... :D

biggeorge
September 2nd, 2008, 12:03 PM

If you look at some of the FACTS, it counters much of what you post here.

Most of the corruption allegations are those she fought against, and within her own party at that. She was instrumental in getting a major Republican staffer off the Alaskan Oil Board; he resigned and was fined $12,000. She also went after the Republican Attorney General, and was instrumental in pushing the US Senator, Ted Stevens, to come clean with his own corruption. Once elected Governor she passed major sweeping reform ethics legislation. She so infuriated the "good old boy" network that they (the Republican Party of Alaska) refused to support her candidacy for Governor; yet she still won with an 80% approval rating.

It is common for new administrations to put their people in supporting roles, and get rid of leftovers from the previous administration.

And as far as this "probe" goes she is under about "firing" her ex brother in law, most don't realize that this was before she was governor. This police officer had committed several acts that should have led to his dismissal; shooting a moose using his wife's tags when he had none left; tasering his 11 year old son, drinking several beers while on patrol, having a bar owner call him in for leaving and driving drunk, only to have a fellow State trooper not charge him, and several other conduct or force issues that he was reprimanded or suspended for. Yea, this is the type of guy I want protecting me.

Sarah Palin's name surfaced a couple of months ago as a possible candidate, and I researched her then, and never thought that McCain would have the fortitude to pick her. I am thrilled that he did.

And she does have nice hair. I hope she keeps it also.

dorothea-brooke
September 2nd, 2008, 12:14 PM
No offense biggeorge, but I think it's probably best that we not get into this kind of detailed discussion here.

I am sorry I posted that original comment about the investigation, since it seems to have opened up this can of worms -- and I repeat that I am really not interested in making any claims about whether she did or did not do xyz. My only point was that it seems pretty risky to pick a running mate who is currently under investigation. That's all. I was trying to make a subtle point about tactics, but I know that sometimes these distinctions get lost in the internets. :)

So I'm not going to post any more about this, but wanted to let you know why (don't think it's a good idea to get into political nitty-gritty), and not have you think I was just ignoring your post.

:flower:

Now, really and truly -- anything else about her hair??? :cookie:

GlennaGirl
September 2nd, 2008, 12:18 PM
Even though people keep saying "Okay, let's get back to her hair," I notice that before saying that, we're all getting our digs in.

I myself am sitting on my hands NOT to say something. I'm angry at the choice as to me, it reflects that the GOP still thinks of women as idiots who will follow anything in heels ("Oh, we couldn't have Hillary? Well, is there another person with ovaries out there?"). That transparency alone makes me afraid of this choice for the presidency because of what it reflects.

God. So I did say something.

I just wanted to say...hmmmmmmm...well, I guess I wanted to say that really...is there any way this could have possibly stayed on the topic of her hair? I don't think it could have, period. I don't want to report any one person because reporting seems pretty aggressive and I like everyone here...but again...there is no way in heck this thread will be about just hair.

wintersun99
September 2nd, 2008, 12:42 PM

Liliana
September 2nd, 2008, 01:16 PM
I love Sarah Palin's hair!

GlennaGirl
September 2nd, 2008, 01:42 PM
I'm just pointing out this note... If everyone maintains a level of maturity and refrains from personal attacks, there should be no reason why we cannot discuss these issues... no?

getoffmyskittle
September 2nd, 2008, 01:49 PM

:rockerdud

I have to admit to cringing when I saw this thread. My knee jerk reaction was "who gives a flying you-know-what about the hair??!" I have spent the last four days defending the Republican running mate (no, the irony is not lost on me) from sexist attacks. If I get one more link to a website that will go unnamed here, I will scream.

Um, yeah. End mini-vent. Katharine, I'm sure you didn't mean for this thread to be like that. It's just too many buttons being pressed all at once. Can we please focus on the issues? Not in this thread - but there are so many things to discuss about this election that Sarah Palin's hair is so peripheral that it's... just... marginalizing. It is so marginalizing. I know people are going to tell me to take off my tin foil hat but that's how I feel about it. But I'm backing out/shutting up now.

utdesertrunner
September 2nd, 2008, 03:17 PM
I think my DH has a secret crush on Sarah Palin, lol. Everytime he had a free moment and was on the computer he kept reading about her. Should I be jealous? (Just Kidding..) She is a lovely woman. I'll have to go google some hair pics to see what everyone's chatting about.

harpgal
September 2nd, 2008, 03:22 PM
She is a lovely woman.
I agree! :agree:

brightonwoman
September 2nd, 2008, 04:00 PM
I will admit up front I didn't read the whole thread....that said I'm an Alaskan. :) I know, unrelated to Gov Palin's hair, just hey, she's my gov. I like her. Don't know how I feel about her as a VP (due in no small part to her running mate...) but I like her as our gov.
Her hair is layered, I'm not certain the longest layers, but I'd say at least BSL. She usually wears it up in some kind of claw clip or something that has it all curling out on top. I llike it. :)

brightonwoman
September 2nd, 2008, 04:02 PM
Oh, I wanted to add...I find long hair more common up here in Alaska than I did when I lived in the lower 48...I think the fact that so many of us are rural and there just aren't beauticians/salons available leads a lot of people to wear their hair longer out of sheer practicality. :lol

lynnala
September 2nd, 2008, 04:30 PM
I was looking at her hair very closely today, I think it was a pony tail/puffy pony comb 'do.

And PLEASE, if you want to talk politics, move it to the off-topic forum. I come here to get away from all of that!:rolleyes: :argue:

AnneAdeline
September 2nd, 2008, 09:03 PM
I like that she has longer hair than the norm for politicians. Some variety, you know?

When my mum saw a picture of her 'do, she instantly tried to replicate it cause she liked how it looked. ;)

physicschick
September 2nd, 2008, 10:24 PM
On another (non-hair) forum I read, several women liked Palin's hairstyle. One even asked her stylist how to achieve it. :lol:

I have to admit to cringing when I saw this thread. My knee jerk reaction was "who gives a flying you-know-what about the hair??!" I have spent the last four days defending the Republican running mate (no, the irony is not lost on me) from sexist attacks. If I get one more link to a website that will go unnamed here, I will scream.

Um, yeah. End mini-vent. Katharine, I'm sure you didn't mean for this thread to be like that. It's just too many buttons being pressed all at once. Can we please focus on the issues? Not in this thread - but there are so many things to discuss about this election that Sarah Palin's hair is so peripheral that it's... just... marginalizing. It is so marginalizing. I know people are going to tell me to take off my tin foil hat but that's how I feel about it. But I'm backing out/shutting up now.
Skitts, I disagree with your opinion. This is a hair board, and I think we should have our fun discussing any candidates who have interesting hair. Nobody is suggesting that this will or should impact how we vote. Also, I don't think discussing Palin's hair is sexist, if that's what you're implying. We didn't discuss Hillary's hair much around here, even though she's also female, because hers isn't very unique.

ETA: Just to clarify, the above is my opinion and not meant to be an official mod response to skitts' statements.

manderly
September 3rd, 2008, 09:52 PM
I love this woman. I think she is fantastic.

And her hair looked beautiful tonight :)

josie4
September 3rd, 2008, 10:35 PM
Her hair and her daughters' looked good tonight!

plainjanegirl
September 3rd, 2008, 10:44 PM
I also think her hair looked nice tonight.

CurlyOne
September 3rd, 2008, 11:24 PM
I like her hair a lot! She is also a very attractive person, just stating the obvious. WAAHHH! I wanna go back to Alaska!

sandrak
September 4th, 2008, 02:39 AM
Oh I'm so glad someone started this! When I saw her with that updo, I thought WOW, a long-hair! You know they showed several clips on Fox News of her doing some gubernatorial duties or whatever, and in one of them her hair looked sort of dark red. It may have been the lighting, but I thought, maybe she is a henna head LOL! She is definitely a lovely woman, and I love that she hasn't cut her hair even after five children and if that's not her body on Vogue I can tell you she looks great in the pics I've seen and on TV.

They say her last child was born in April with Downs syndrome...so sad. She's gone after corruption and the "good ole boy networks". Can't help but mention that her DH is a good looking guy too, did you girls notice?? They've been married 20 years today and she told him she had a surprise for him LOL!! What I've heard so far is really impressive to go along with her good looks...........I've got to say hurray for long hairs and hurray for women!!! You go girl!!!!! :D:D:D

YES, I did notice her husband!!

Chamomile betty
September 4th, 2008, 06:57 AM
I think she has really lovely hair. It looks healthy and I love the color.
It's good to see I am not the only one trying to figure out how she does her hair.

I really hope she keeps it as is and doesn't go the bob route. I am enjoying seeing the updos.

mugglemomof3
September 4th, 2008, 08:59 AM
I love having a place to focus on the "silly".

I'm impressed with this Palin in more ways than one! She's like the woman I could have been if I had made better choices as a young adult. *sigh*

Hot hot hot hubby!!!!! Five fantastic looking children (her little baby is so adorable - I've done Special Olympics for years and Down Syndrome people have such sweet spirits and it just radiates from their faces). I wanted 4 kids - only made it to three. *sigh* Her kids are almost as perfect and pretty as my three! :twisted:

She's in shape even only months after having her fifth. Like I said, I only have three and I lost it all after my third. Sarah Palin has a great individual style, she's got great hair, she wears her glasses proud!!!

Did I mention the hot hot hot hubby??????? *swoon*

I really liked her hair in her convention speech last night, but I LOVE her signature updo. I've definitely got a crush on her now.

~~~

Not that I think she will, but "Please please please, Sarah, don't change your look when you get to Washington. Take advantage of the stylists if you can (I'd give anything to have a personal hairdresser for those times I'm "going out"!!), but don't let them make you over into a typical female politician!!!"

intothemist1999
September 4th, 2008, 09:50 AM
I haven't waded through the entire thread yet, but...if you google Palin under their images links it brings up tons of photos.

In that magazine cover, although the hair looks nice (if Photoshopped), I'm not sure if it's the glasses or the make-up...I'm not wild about the facial expression. A little bit shocked. I think both the glasses and the gold eyeshadow make her eyes seem overly wide open.

dor3girl
October 27th, 2008, 01:02 PM
I dressed up as her on Friday night & I actually GOT compliments on my hair (even here in California). Not sure what it means--but then again, most of my friends don't see me dressed up often, so they were probably just glad to see out of jeans, boots & the pony-tail rut.

Of course, I did get the smart alec comments like, "Are you supposed to be Tina Fey?"

Here's the pic: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=1392&pictureid=23815