PDA

View Full Version : Braid getting loose at nape?

unknown
June 4th, 2013, 02:24 PM
So, I've been braiding my hair for ages and still can't seem to get rid of the loose "pouch" portion at the nape, almost under the braid. This goes for all of my braids; english, french, fishtail, dutch. And I always try to keep my hands as close to the scalp as possible.
I know that torrinpaige had a video on how to stop this from happening but I'm not sure I understood how to do it. Any tips on how to make the nape section tight when braiding?

spidermom
June 4th, 2013, 02:30 PM
I get the best results with french or dutch braiding by picking up the entire nape area at once and adding it to whichever strand is smallest.

If I pick up the nape area in two sections, I always ALWAYS get a bulgy area.

Panth
June 4th, 2013, 02:36 PM
I find with low English plaits I have to do as close to 6" of plait as I can get before I bring the plait over one shoulder. If I am lazy and just do a few exchanges before bringing it to the front, then I always get a loose nape (and worse on the side opposite to the shoulder I brought the plait over).

pogo0685
June 4th, 2013, 03:38 PM
I have the same issue, and then my baby pulls them out even more.

Vrindi
June 4th, 2013, 04:55 PM
My hair likes to slip and slide out of everything, so I'll always end up with a loose nape if I just do an english braid no matter what. I "solve" this problem by purposefully braiding loose, so instead of a weird bulge, I just get a drapey, flowy braid that looks entirely intentional.

omgitssarah
June 4th, 2013, 06:38 PM
I think Torrin's tip was to divide the nape section into 2 sections as normal, but you criss-cross them. So you add the right nape section to the left-hand side, and the left nape section to the right-hand side.

Yozhik
June 4th, 2013, 06:56 PM
Seconding omgitssarah. :)
Criss-crossing the bottom most sections is the only way I've heard of reducing that looseness at the bottom, but personally, I like it because I feel it can make a braid look softer or less severe. :)