PDA

View Full Version : Loose half up help

LisaB234
June 3rd, 2013, 08:08 PM
As my hair gets longer and heavier I am having problems figuring out ways to wear it down. I like the look of half up and the practicality, but would like it to look loose yet be secure. Clips and braids seem to pull back and look severe. I love twists but can't get them to hold. Tricks from the gurus appreciated!

alexis917
June 3rd, 2013, 08:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wtqe_S7hckw
I really like this youtubers styles, and I noticed this video has a simple half-updo in it.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help, my hair probably isn't as long as yours!

Sister13
June 3rd, 2013, 08:14 PM
I feel your concern-

I try to bend at the waist and poof up the front section. Then, as I clutch the hairs in the spot where I need them secured, I use a Flexi-8 to pin the clutched clump to a clump of scalp hair. So the weight of your long, long hair doesn't pull your 'do flat in front.

I hope that makes sense. :blossom:

Yozhik
June 3rd, 2013, 08:21 PM
I don't know how long your hair is, but for me at between waist and hip, I can just braid my hair into a half up partway down my hair length, and then leave it (not securing the bottom). The length ensures that the half-up doesn't come undone, and over the course of the day it loosens up more and looks pretty nice and romantic from the front. I've seen people do this with hair from APL onward - the trick is your hairtype (it's easier to maintain at shorter lengths with wavy or curly hair, while it slips out of straight hair), and how you section it. You want it to be like a mini-Dianyla braid: ie - sectioning from your scalp, when making the braid, not just starting the braid loosely from a gathered ponytail

Bonus: no hairtie damage. :)

Hope that helps! :flower:

ETA: starting it like a Dianyla braid and thus further up your head also can help with volume in the front so it doesn't look so slicked back.

Fairlight63
June 3rd, 2013, 08:28 PM
Thanks for posting those video's! She has some good ideas for hairstyles that look really pretty!

dulce
June 3rd, 2013, 08:40 PM
I used to know how to add a pic but it's all changed now.I tried to copy and paste[insert image icon] but that doesn't work anymore.So will try and add my pic of loose half up with a African butterfly clip as my avatar pic.How do you add pics now?
I did a loose half up[ start middle of head] ,twisted the pony to the top of my head,then used a African butterfly clip over the twisted part,leaving the pony free to hang down from the top.I did cut a few side layers so it looks less severe when I pull it back.

Sharysa
June 3rd, 2013, 11:33 PM
The trick I've figured out with half-ups is to pull/puff out the sides so it doesn't look glued to my scalp.

LisaB234
June 3rd, 2013, 11:57 PM
So many great ideas - off to play with my hair. Thank you all for great ideas - hoping for even more from this awesome group!

The half up twist is brilliant - simple and easy - thank you for your youtube skills, Alexis.

Sister13, I do have a flexi - I will experiment, you might be onto something with clipping the scalp hair - I have tried to slide it down to make it looser, which doesn't work. . .

Yozhic - must look at Dianyla braid sectioning - might be good for more than 1/2 up? Thank you!

Dulce- I would love to see your face framing layers - I have played with various bangs/sides and do think it is a softer look. I have been thinking about an African butterfly - maybe now is the time!

LisaB234
June 4th, 2013, 12:09 AM
Dulce- any other ideas on how to anchor an upside down twist - looks like it could work, but until I get an African butterfly I'm not sure how to get it to hold. I tried a jaw clip and it looked great for a few minutes then started sliding. . .

alexis917
June 5th, 2013, 04:12 AM
So many great ideas - off to play with my hair. Thank you all for great ideas - hoping for even more from this awesome group!

The half up twist is brilliant - simple and easy - thank you for your youtube skills, Alexis.

Sister13, I do have a flexi - I will experiment, you might be onto something with clipping the scalp hair - I have tried to slide it down to make it looser, which doesn't work. . .

Yozhic - must look at Dianyla braid sectioning - might be good for more than 1/2 up? Thank you!

Dulce- I would love to see your face framing layers - I have played with various bangs/sides and do think it is a softer look. I have been thinking about an African butterfly - maybe now is the time!
Any time! I do her braided buns sometimes. They're easy. :)

dulce
June 6th, 2013, 12:27 PM
The loose half up style in my avatar pic can also be done with a flexi clip or a beak clip too,but I think it's prettiest with an African butterfly clip.

jacqueline101
June 6th, 2013, 05:58 PM
Those are great hair styles.