PDA

View Full Version : Help! Trying to invent a new bun.

lilalong
June 2nd, 2013, 05:48 PM
I'd like to have a certain kind of bun. Here are the criteria:

It must be held up with a stick or a fork.
Must be as stable as possible.
It should have a bit of a messy look, similar to a messy bun. It should not have that clean, tight, all-hair-is-contained look.

Here is what I came up with so far (Sorry for the crappy picture. This is the best I can do atm.)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4698&d=1370216165

It's a bun where the end bits of my hair are left loose. But it's difficult to have the ends evenly distributed (they tend to flop to one side) and it's not very stable.

Anyone have any ideas how to achieve what I want? Or maybe someone already knows a bun that fulfills my criteria?

excentricat
June 2nd, 2013, 06:46 PM
I created one earlier today accidentally that might work. It was like an equilibrium bun, except that I didn't get the folding right, so I had ends sticking out. Since they come from the center of the bun, you should be able to get them sticking out in every direction.

lilalong
June 2nd, 2013, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the tip! I'll have to go and practice the equilibrium bun, so far I haven't gotten it to hold very well. My hair might also still be too short to have long enough ends sticking out, but I'll have to see about that.

spidermom
June 2nd, 2013, 07:38 PM
I find the equilibrium bun very easy to secure; the trick is to spear the loop. It goes very messy on me.

Yozhik
June 2nd, 2013, 07:43 PM
How long is your hair? I was just reading somewhere on here a couple of days ago that it's difficult to achieve messy buns after a certain length...

My first instinct was to say a knot bun with the ends pulled through, though - maybe experimenting with that could yield something like what you're looking for? :flower:

lilalong
June 2nd, 2013, 07:49 PM
My hair is approximately waist length. Medium thickness.

I don't know how to do the knot bun. I will have to look it up. Thanks!

Bagginslover
June 3rd, 2013, 05:19 AM
Could you do a figure 8, and poke the ends out through the top loop?

jacqueline101
June 3rd, 2013, 08:18 AM
I like a twisted bun. They're basic and easy. I'd place sticks or toys for decoration.

Yozhik
June 3rd, 2013, 10:20 AM
Let us know how it goes! :)
I've gotten into a rut of pretty much only making neat buns, myself...

Oh, and thanks for mentioning that new Isabella Rosselini video in that other thread - how delightfully weird!