PDA

View Full Version : Ribbon elastics - Less damaging?

lilliemer
June 1st, 2013, 07:56 PM
I just picked up a packet of those hair elastics that are like short lengths of stretchy ribbon tied together at the end...They are about 1/2 inch (1-cm) thick. Does anyone have any experience with these? Are they less damaging than the skinny rubber-band type elastics (which totally destroyed my hair)? I would love to be able to wear a pony tail from time to time!

Kyla
June 1st, 2013, 08:02 PM
I use these as I think they are cute, and I've never noticed damage with them. :) They are a bit overpriced sometimes though.I recommend making your own or buying cheap ones on etsy.

kam.pearson
June 1st, 2013, 08:11 PM
They are all I use now! I don't know if they are truly less damaging or not, but for me they work really well and don't dent my hair at all, which means that I don't have to commit to a pony until I wash my hair again! Lol other elastics get tangled and dent my hair very badly, so I think they must be causing damage.

emeraldfaery
June 1st, 2013, 08:12 PM
I'm curious about those as well. I thought about getting some, but as Kyla said they are kinda high priced. Will be checking back on this thread. :)

kam.pearson
June 1st, 2013, 08:13 PM
I've found cheaper ones at target as well. Also some cute headband versions. I think they were 2.50 a pack.

neko_kawaii
June 1st, 2013, 08:16 PM
I was noticing lots of pretty elastics at JoAnns last time I was in there!

firefly42
June 1st, 2013, 09:05 PM
the elastic costs like two dollars at joann's and makes four hair ties, if you're interested in making your own...i love them! they hold my hair fairly well.

Kaelee
June 1st, 2013, 09:58 PM
I've seen these...I usually use the Goody Ouchless if I need to secure a braid for *inside* a style...fabric scrunchies otherwise. But I might try these. They ARE cute!!!

Kyla
June 1st, 2013, 10:09 PM
the elastic costs like two dollars at joann's and makes four hair ties, if you're interested in making your own...i love them! they hold my hair fairly well.

This is really good to know, thank you for posting that!

jeanniet
June 1st, 2013, 11:43 PM
The elastic is really cheap. I actually bought some off Etsy because I'd have to drive quite a ways to a fabric store, but I think I got 3' each of four different colors for less than $10. I make my hair ties bigger because I like to be able to wrap them around rather than have to pull a ponytail through. I just make a decent sized knot in the end, then wrap the tie around the ponytail and loop the end over the knot. Holds great, and I make the tie big enough so it's pretty loose. Much better than regular elastics.

CaranDulin
June 2nd, 2013, 12:49 AM
They work very well, I always have one on me! (Which makes no sense, because I'm wearing a hairstick 80% of the time anyway...)

Boucles d'or
June 2nd, 2013, 02:45 AM
I'm alway using terry ponytail holders. I think they are the best! Never caused any trouble on my hair and they are veryyy soft.

An example of terry ponytail holders:
http://www.dhgate.com/terry-elastic-ponytail-hair-holder-multi/p-ff8080813b22dc5c013b2c96c64e48cb.html

(you have them in different sizes though, if you have thick hair I can advise you to take a wider one.)

Zindell
June 2nd, 2013, 06:50 AM
I'm alway using terry ponytail holders. I think they are the best! Never caused any trouble on my hair and they are veryyy soft.

An example of terry ponytail holders:
http://www.dhgate.com/terry-elastic-ponytail-hair-holder-multi/p-ff8080813b22dc5c013b2c96c64e48cb.html

I love terry ponytail holders! The small ones fit my fine nordic hair very well and they are very soft indeed.

I'd like a picture of the Ribbon Elastics in the threadstart though, since I'm not sure what kind they are?

jacqueline101
June 2nd, 2013, 07:02 AM
I've never seen them I'm going to start looking.

jeanniet
June 2nd, 2013, 10:06 AM
If you do a search for "fold over elastic" on Etsy, it'll bring up all sorts of pictures of the elastics and the fabric itself, so you can get an idea of what they are and what kind of colors, etc.

Anje
June 2nd, 2013, 02:58 PM
I'm another who tends to use terry ties and those seamless fabric hosiery ties (http://www.fystore.com/i/20/480X-High-Elasticity-Hair-Band-Colored-Seamless-Hair-Rope-p102244.jpg) for most of my braid-enders. (Due to past history of damage, I almost never secure my hair as a ponytail.) Good stuff, and I get dozens of them at the dollar store.

Kelikea
June 2nd, 2013, 03:48 PM
They won't hold my hair in a pontytail, they aren't stretchy or strong enough. I tried using them on the end of my braid, but they fall off. I can't use them to hold a bun because they aren't big enough. I like the hair elastics that are made for THICK hair.

ravenreed
June 2nd, 2013, 06:07 PM
I use the fold over elastic ties and they are pretty good. I do notice some split ends about the level that I tie off my braid, but not nearly as many as when I used more traditional hair ties. I think at this point my ends are just so fragile that anything may cause splits.

MandyBeth
June 2nd, 2013, 11:16 PM
The ribbon ones get horribly tangled in Minion's hair, plus the store ones aren't stretchy enough.

The terry cloth ones work well enough, plus buying them in 1,000 count lots mean we don't have to dig to find one.

savfairy
June 3rd, 2013, 07:35 PM
I have ribbon elastics and I love them! They glide right out of my hair instead of tugging strands out like regular elastics do. :D They seem a bit pricey to me for the amount you get though. I believe I paid about 3 dollars for a pack of 2 by Goody. I would love to be able to make my own. Although, may I add, they won't stay in for anything if I go running.

Sharysa
June 10th, 2013, 07:08 PM
I'm thinking of making a few of my own instead of buying them, since they're pretty much stretch elastic tied in a knot. Normally I use the ouchless Goody elastics with no problem, but these are adorable.

Kaelee
June 11th, 2013, 08:20 AM
I've seen some really cute ones with beads on them. :)

The-Young-Maid
January 9th, 2019, 10:36 AM
Bumping this. I'm wondering if they might be better for my braids than regular mini hair ties. The hair ties will often bend my ends if I'm not careful and I get splits from that. Maybe the ribbon ones will be less damaging because they have a wider surface area? Thoughts?

I'll probably buy a cheap pack and if they work nice, then I'll just start making them.

Kattt
January 9th, 2019, 11:05 AM
I use them to tie my braid up when I sleep. I find that they aren't stretchy enough to really work if I want to wear it in a ponytail, as it doesn't hold as well, but for braids they're pretty great. I also like the ties that are kinda like soft, rolled up pantyhose material. Those seen to be fairly gentle, but also hold things much more securely as they have more stretch.

Viola_sororia
January 9th, 2019, 04:37 PM
I have a couple of them, but they definitely aren't for sleeping braids. The knot is uncomfortable to sleep on.

lapushka
January 9th, 2019, 05:01 PM
I think cutting a pantyhose into strips (round, so cutting the leg into strips) would be far better to get good elastics for sleep styles! Much more soft and comfortable than those blasted knotted up bands!

ksampson321
January 9th, 2019, 05:05 PM
I started using them the last couple of months when I braid my hair to sleep. The thin elastics I was using seems to pull at my ends too much then removing them. One thing I don't like about the ones I have is that they loose their shape quickly so now I'm looking for something that will last longer. Maybe thin velvet or satin scrunchies? I can seem to find any though.

K

Nineteenbirds
January 9th, 2019, 06:32 PM
The only thing stretchy ribbon is good for in my life is my sleep-braid. If they're tight enough to hold up a ponytail then they break my hair. But for the end of a braid they're the best thing I have right now.

OhSuzi
January 10th, 2019, 04:05 AM
agree with lapushka! Tights / pantyhose chopped into strips - soft with no seams, no knots, as thick or thin as you need em, cheap and effective, can use as hair bobble or head band! prob get at least 30 hair ties out of one pair of tights!

Deborah
January 10th, 2019, 08:46 AM
I used to buy cheap baby tights to cut into strips for this purpose. This way they were pretty small in circumference, and I liked the smaller size.

spidergoat
January 28th, 2019, 01:32 PM
I use the ribbon elastic for my sleep braid, but I'm starting to wonder if they are partially responsible for my split ends. Maybe I'll go back to pantyhose.

Begemot
January 28th, 2019, 03:00 PM
I have seen some seriously cute ribbon elastics out there but they feel too stiff/hard for me. I like the pantyhose idea! Might try it myself if I have a pair to spare.

JennGalt
January 29th, 2019, 01:45 AM
I tried the pantyhose thing and weirdly ended up with the pantyhose snagging on and ripping out hair as much or more as the ones with metal clasps. Very weird, since I thought they were supposed to be better, but I guess they’re not for me :shrug: The knotted elastics work much better for me. I also found some made by Scünci that are wide like ribbon elastics but have no knot; they are made of very soft material and are knit into a kind of mesh in the center of the ring of fabric. Those are best IMO!

lapushka
January 29th, 2019, 06:16 AM
I tried the pantyhose thing and weirdly ended up with the pantyhose snagging on and ripping out hair as much or more as the ones with metal clasps. Very weird, since I thought they were supposed to be better, but I guess they’re not for me :shrug: The knotted elastics work much better for me. I also found some made by Scünci that are wide like ribbon elastics but have no knot; they are made of very soft material and are knit into a kind of mesh in the center of the ring of fabric. Those are best IMO!

I used to use knee-high panty/socks to cut strips, not pantyhose (too wide at the upper leg). And the edge of the "sock" is a nice strip of fabric especially for ponies that need to stay up. Not that I do much of that these days.

Maybe your strips are too wide? Not in breadth on the strip of fabric, but I mean that the diameter = too big.

Oh well, we each sort of settle and find what works; whatever works, Jenn!

JennGalt
January 29th, 2019, 10:41 AM
I used knee highs to make them just like you did. I don’t know what was wrong, just that I found them more damaging than regular metal free elastics or ribbon elastics I make myself. These days I just use the knee highs to filter flaxseed gel instead :)

JackintheBox
January 31st, 2019, 07:02 PM
I started using them the last couple of months when I braid my hair to sleep. The thin elastics I was using seems to pull at my ends too much then removing them. One thing I don't like about the ones I have is that they loose their shape quickly so now I'm looking for something that will last longer.

I have tried these and also found they wore out very quickly.