PDA

View Full Version : Caruso rollers + styling products?

finzi
June 1st, 2013, 09:43 AM
Hi

I posted a question recently on Ultrabella's Caruso thread, but it was a very old thread and so far I've not had any replies, so hopefully someone will see this thread and be able to help me out!

I bought a Caruso steam roller set and have tried it a few times. The curls just won't hold for me, so I did a little hunting around and bought some Lottabody, which I have diluted as per the instructions. Now the instructions for the Caruso rollers say they should be used in DRY hair, and reviewers all over the web emphasise the need to wait until hair is dry, not at all damp. The problem, of course, is that once I apply the Lottabody my hair will no longer be dry.

To those of you who use styling products with your Caruso rollers, which product do you use and how/when do you apply it please? What results have you had?

:confused:

UltraBella
June 1st, 2013, 09:50 AM
Which Lottabody did you buy ? There's different formulas and some have more oil than others, oil won't help you hold the curl well in general.
Most styling products are applied to damp hair that's been freshly washed, then you wait for it to dry, then you use the Caruso. Every bottle of a Lottabody I've seen says to apply to damp hair.

I always use some kind of styling product - whether it be a setting lotion, spray, gel, mousse, etc - it all turns out about the same for me. I apply to damp hair, let dry COMPLETELY and then use my Caruso.

jacqueline101
June 1st, 2013, 09:55 AM
I have a question about lotta body I was wondering if it could be used as a hair spray alternative. If its healthier then hair spray.

finzi
June 1st, 2013, 09:56 AM
That's great Ultrabella, thank you so much. You are sort of the Oracle where Caruso is concerned, so if you say it works, I'll try it. :)

ETA: Mine's the original Lottabody, pale blue/lavender colour.

finzi
June 1st, 2013, 09:59 AM
I have a question about lotta body I was wondering if it could be used as a hair spray alternative. If its healthier then hair spray.

I'm not sure how they would compare - hairspray usually works as a very fine mist, but the Lottebody (dispensed from a spray bottle after it's been diluted) doesn't come out as fine as that. It's also much wetter than most hairsprays - don't forget they tend to have alcohol in to help them dry quicker once the spray has settled on the hair. If it works, it's probably much, much healthier than conventional hairsprays because there's no alcohol, and it doesn't have that cement-effect that so many hairsprays do. The hair is held much more softly than with a hairspray.

Not sure if that's much help to you though.

UltraBella
June 1st, 2013, 10:02 AM
I'd also like to add that a product like Lottabody isn't really meant to be used in this way. It's more for pin curls, braid waves, styles that you shape while the hair is wet and want it to hold once dry. Styles that you won't be brushing or disturbing much once dry and set in place.

I use things like curling mousse, soft hold gel or lotion.

I like Matrix Smoothing Shine Milk (very soft hold), Garnier Pure Clean Smoothing Cream, Wella Enrich Bouncy Foam, Garnier Curl Construct Mousse. I'm not a Lottabody fan unfortunately.

finzi
June 1st, 2013, 10:04 AM
I'd also like to add that a product like Lottabody isn't really meant to be used in this way. It's more for pin curls, braid waves, styles that you shape while the hair is wet and want it to hold once dry. Styles that you won't be brushing or disturbing much once dry and set in place.

I use things like curling mousse, soft hold gel or lotion.

I like Matrix Smoothing Shine Milk (very soft hold), Garnier Pure Clean Smoothing Cream, Wella Enrich Bouncy Foam, Garnier Curl Construct Mousse. I'm not a Lottabody fan unfortunately.

Hmmmm, okay, I hadn't thought of it like that. I have a few tubs of EcoStyler gels in my stash, as well as a couple of mousses and styling cremes by Naked. Do you apply the creams and mousses to wet hair and let the hair dry, the way you described in your first post? If so, I'll apply some after I wash my hair tonight, let it dry overnight and then try the rollers tomorrow morning.

UltraBella
June 1st, 2013, 10:20 AM
Hmmmm, okay, I hadn't thought of it like that. I have a few tubs of EcoStyler gels in my stash, as well as a couple of mousses and styling cremes by Naked. Do you apply the creams and mousses to wet hair and let the hair dry, the way you described in your first post? If so, I'll apply some after I wash my hair tonight, let it dry overnight and then try the rollers tomorrow morning.

Yes, I never apply these type of products to dry hair. They won't distribute as well and won't work as well on dry hair. Most instructions will clearly say to apply to damp hair.

finzi
June 1st, 2013, 10:32 AM
Yes, I never apply these type of products to dry hair. They won't distribute as well and won't work as well on dry hair. Most instructions will clearly say to apply to damp hair.

Okay, fab! Thank you for all your help. xo