PDA

View Full Version : shedding shorties vs longs

hennared
August 29th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Hi guys ..

So, I've whined about my shedding experience a while ago (a few different times, I know!). It's going into the 3rd month of it, now.. I stopped counting hairs, but it looks from volume like i am losing about the same number still (guessing 125-150 a day based on previous counting). the past day or so I noticed most of the sheds are shorter :eek: .. not brand newbies, but about 3 inchers. I'm not sure if I should attempt to read into this, but, anyone that's gone through a shed think this is significant? Does this mean more fallout to come of does it (hope pray) mean I am near the end of the shed? I could rationalize that a stress growth shutdown would have possibly shut down the near terminal length hairs first and shorter ones later... uh, or I'm just rationalizing.

What do you think?

hennared, afraid to henna for fear of losing more hair!

sipnsun
August 29th, 2008, 02:56 PM
It's normal to shed up to 100 hairs a day, so maybe it isn't quit as bad as you think. Have you tried checking to see if your overall thickness has decreased? I'm going through a major shedding right now (I just posted this on another thread) but DH checked my thickness and it's still the same. I know how easy it is to get freaked out about it though. Hopefully you are nearing the end!

hennared
August 30th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the support, sipnsun; but it's defintely been a big shed for me. I always shed hairs about, but I never saw a difference in thickness like I have recently. I've not got absolute measurements, but all my ponytail holders need an extra 'turn' to hold my hair then they used to... and my scalp shows a lot more readily in the front through my long bangs, which never happened before. It feels so much lighter in weight when I pull it back, too. (sigh)

I hope this is nearly over ...

-Hennared

Iylivarae
August 30th, 2008, 01:43 PM
When I shed because of SD, I always find shorties. In my normal shed, there are almost no shorties, so I know when it gets bad / is bad and when it is normal... which is quite nice on one hand, but on the other... shedding just sucks.

danacc
August 31st, 2008, 11:34 PM
There is a mix of "long" and "short" in my normal shed.

I definitely have a "short" terminal length on hair in places along my hairline. I assume the short shed hair come from this area, but there may be shorter terminal length hairs mixed in with hair in other parts of my head that just aren't as noticeable as the hairline ones.