PDA

View Full Version : 100% Pure Argan Oil

raej
May 31st, 2013, 07:24 PM
I've always liked using Argan Oil (Moroccan Oil brand), but then I noticed how many chemicals/ingredients were in it (a lot!). I decided to try a 100% organic pure argan oil, however it doesn't seem to have the same light weight/easily absorbing property. Has anyone tried both and have any learnings to share?

winship2
May 31st, 2013, 08:06 PM
I have used 100% argan oil (Acure brand) on my face (two drops each morning) for several months and am perfectly happy with it. I use a drop on my wet ends from time to time and it seems great. I can't do oils on dry hair though.

Blond On Blond
May 31st, 2013, 09:51 PM
I've always liked using Argan Oil (Moroccan Oil brand), but then I noticed how many chemicals/ingredients were in it (a lot!). I decided to try a 100% organic pure argan oil, however it doesn't seem to have the same light weight/easily absorbing property. Has anyone tried both and have any learnings to share?

The Moroccan Oil brand has only a tiny bit of argan oil in it, the main ingredients are silicones. You are comparing apples to oranges. I personally never liked pure argan oil, but many here on this forum love it.

deedrr
May 31st, 2013, 10:53 PM
The Moroccan Oil brand has only a tiny bit of argan oil in it, the main ingredients are silicones. You are comparing apples to oranges. I personally never liked pure argan oil, but many here on this forum love it.
What do you prefer?

McFearless
May 31st, 2013, 11:32 PM
I don't believe argan oil can penetrate hair shafts, instead it coats them and can provide slip and protection from the elements. For that reason I think you'd be better off using a smaller amount.

jacqueline101
June 1st, 2013, 07:03 AM
I like the one n only brand.

Blond On Blond
June 1st, 2013, 09:45 AM
What do you prefer?

I'm a cone lover, so coney serums are a big "yes" for me. Pure argan oil is one of my least favorite oils. That being said, I'm not really a great fan of oils anyway, I'll use them on occasion, but prefer leave-in conditioners and serums.

gonzobird
June 1st, 2013, 05:33 PM
I love Josie marans argan oil. Great on skin and hair.

Bunnysaur
June 1st, 2013, 05:38 PM
When I buy argan oil, I get big 4oz+ bottles from eBay or Amazon. I've also used Josie Maran brand, and a couple other high end brands. I can't detect a difference between the $10/4oz eBay argan oil and the fancy JM oil :p
Same goes for other oils, Tarte just started packaging maracuja (passionfruit seed) oil for $50 or so an ounce. I bought an ounce from Garden of Wisdom for around $5, and there's no difference. I use my mini Tarte maracuja oil bottle with the dropper to dispense it :p

gonzobird
June 1st, 2013, 07:43 PM
True.... but I like sustainable practices, and I'm an advertisers dream.... so I get the JM.;)

CurlyMopTop
June 2nd, 2013, 07:11 AM
I can't speak for the Moraccan stuff, but the pure stuff is the only oil that I have found that my hair likes on a regular basis. Just a drop or 2 and that's it. It's been my savior for the last 8 months or so.

raej
June 3rd, 2013, 08:06 PM
Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts! I think I'll try using a little less oil. I feel like I may have been using too much!

faellen
June 4th, 2013, 02:14 AM
I love argan oil! I have both an argan oil coney serum (from Avon) and 100% pure argan oil (from Billy in the Tree). They both have different uses to me. I mainly use the serum on my ends when my hair is drying as it prevents them from frizzing out, and I use the oil for BBBing or just when I think my hair needs some TLC.

I don't believe argan oil can penetrate hair shafts, instead it coats them and can provide slip and protection from the elements. For that reason I think you'd be better off using a smaller amount.

According to jojo in this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=72266), argan oil should penetrate the hair shaft as it is a straight chain glyceride, like coconut oil. Same for other oils like sweet almond and avocado.
Not sure if it actually does, but it really helps my hair!

cranberrymoonz
June 4th, 2013, 03:30 AM
I love my argan oil. You only need a tiny drop, and you need to spread it carefully througout your ends and lengths. Afterwards, my hair feels soft and silky. Argan oil is best as a leave in on wet hair, as it sits on top of the hair shaft and locks the moisture in. You can also use it on dry hair, as long as it is moisturised because otherwise it will lock the moisture out. Argan oil is great for protection, fighting frizz and providing shine. I wouldn't recommend it in any deep treatments, as it doesn't penetrate the hair shaft, and it's to expensive for it anyway.

I keep my tiny 20ml bottle in my handbag. It's so convenient! I got it from a webshop for DIY cosmetics.

raej
June 4th, 2013, 07:14 PM
I love my argan oil. You only need a tiny drop, and you need to spread it carefully througout your ends and lengths. Afterwards, my hair feels soft and silky. Argan oil is best as a leave in on wet hair, as it sits on top of the hair shaft and locks the moisture in. You can also use it on dry hair, as long as it is moisturised because otherwise it will lock the moisture out. Argan oil is great for protection, fighting frizz and providing shine. I wouldn't recommend it in any deep treatments, as it doesn't penetrate the hair shaft, and it's to expensive for it anyway.

I keep my tiny 20ml bottle in my handbag. It's so convenient! I got it from a webshop for DIY cosmetics.

Great tips cranberrymoonz! I'll work on applying it more carefully to wet hair!

faerielady
June 4th, 2013, 11:38 PM
I've read through the thread and didn't see the brand that I use on here, so I figured I'd share.

I found this Argan oil blend at a beauty supply place down the street from my house. It's called Sunflower Mega Care Argan Oil. It contains no petroleum, no mineral oils, and no alcohol. It does contain olive oil, wheat germ oil, jojoba oil, argan oil, canola oil, sweet almond oil, safflower oil, sesame oil, vitamin E, soybean oil, honey extract, horsetail extract, nettle extract, hops extract, chamomile extract, rosemary extract, henna extract, comfrey extract, and "fragrance" (it doesn't say what kind).

It looks like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/RuneBlog/photo65.jpg

Total cost - $2.49

I use it to oil my ends after a shower and it works great. I use 2 drops.