PDA

View Full Version : What's Worked Best for Taming Wild Silvers

Firefly
May 31st, 2013, 01:38 PM
Well. I'll be 45 in October and finally I am starting to see some white/silver hairs come in-- just on the canopy. They are very coarse and wiry; my mom said her new grays came in that way as well, but eventually settled into a smoother texture. ATM though, they make my entire head look frizzy. I'm wondering, what is working/has worked best for you on your wiry grays? I'm particularly interested in hearing from those with my hair type, but I look forward to feedback from all. Thank you!

(N.B. I don't plan to dye)

door72067
May 31st, 2013, 04:49 PM
I think using baby oil helps keep mine under control, but I do have wavy/curly tendencies, so *control* is really subjective

but I know what you mean about the new ones...they seem to pop out and stick up no matter what

I think I'm a bit more curly than you, but our hair looks similar (you have more length)

once the silvers grow some, they tend to behave better

Firefly
June 1st, 2013, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the reply, door. I have tried MO and unfortunately it didn't help that much with the grays (though it does wonders for the rest of my hair!) Thank you, though!

Othala
June 1st, 2013, 01:03 PM
A light styling mousse applied to your hands and then your hands just wiped over your canopy to tame the wiry/unruly white hairs.

Firefly
June 1st, 2013, 09:09 PM
Thanks, Othala! Do you have one you like in particular?

Jorja
June 2nd, 2013, 01:06 AM
Mine poke up on the top of my head, but I use a tiny bit of aloe vera gel and they stay down without looking 'gelled' down. The longer they get though, the more they fit in with the rest of your well behaved hair!

Firefly
June 3rd, 2013, 11:02 AM
Thanks, Jorja-- I'll try the AVG. BTW, love the bun in your signature!

Jorja
June 3rd, 2013, 11:41 AM
Thanks, Jorja-- I'll try the AVG. BTW, love the bun in your signature!

Oh thank you! It's just a braid folded up and jammed in place with a stick too tight to be comfortable lol.

Firefly
June 3rd, 2013, 01:03 PM
Wow! I thought it was some kind of intricate knot bun! Very impressive. :D

dulce
June 3rd, 2013, 02:17 PM
I switched to Devacurl products[lots of moisture and conditioning] plus just letting them get longer helps.I have hip+ curly streaked silver hair so I know what you are talking about.On humid days I use A+G hair serum applied over my surface canopy with my fingers and use a natural boar bristle brush just to smooth/shine up the surface from the top of my head just to my shoulders.Good for you in not dyeing!!!As the silvers come in more you need to dye more and more often,I ended up dyeing every 2 weeks till I said enough..

Teazel
June 3rd, 2013, 09:45 PM
I use aloe vera gel to tame mine, but they're not as unruly as yours sound. Love your sig pic! :)

Firefly
June 5th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Thank you so much, Dulce and Teazel-- you both are an inspiration! And I will give both the Devacurl and AVG a try. I keep hearing positive things about the Devacurl especially, so I've been wanting to try that anyway. :)