PDA

View Full Version : Feeling down about my long hair in general.

Nymph
May 31st, 2013, 12:57 PM
I know most of us probably have moments where we are a bit bored of our hair, or we don't know what to do about it, or the care is starting to weigh on us. Well, I'm at that point right now.

I must admit, I have been taking bad care of my hair. I tried to bleach it out of red to blonde, ended up with pink, then went back to my standard ginger. No S&D for ages, what started out as "benign neglect" is now neglect pure and simple. Actually, if I didn't get roots showing, I wouldn't know it still grows because I'm not getting much growth. I feel like I just lost the nerve.
I work full time and I'm studying at uni at the same time, I'm tired a lot of the time and I don't feel like getting up 15 minutes earlier just to do my hair. So this year, basically it's been buns only. Nautilus or cinamon bun or bee-butt bun and that's it.

How did you break out of this, if it happened to you? I want to go back to enjoying my hair. :(

UltraBella
May 31st, 2013, 01:02 PM
I was feeling the exact same way, but I didn't go back to enjoying it long - I cut mine. A lot. And now I enjoy it sooooo very much. I was ready for a change.
I hope you find hair happiness again !

ravenreed
May 31st, 2013, 01:04 PM
Can you start with a small trim and a pampering session and see how you feel about it? I don't like my hair when my ends look ratty, so I micro trim as needed.

Nymph
May 31st, 2013, 01:18 PM
I have been thinking about cutting bangs, or some thing to frame my face, just to shake things up. I did try a trim but it wasn't much. I'd like to wear it down again but seeing where it's at (tailbone) I find that hardly practical, so it's up or hairdo all the time. I was thinking of cutting back to waist, maybe. So many maybe's!

UltraBella
May 31st, 2013, 01:24 PM
I think that's a great idea, get some sass back into your hair ! Something new is fun and waist is still long. I love my bangs and face framing layers.

Kherome
May 31st, 2013, 01:29 PM
I agree, because of the harsh treatment it's endured, I say back to waist and bangs if you like. Then be nice to it, oil it and wear it up when you can! It'll get better.

Delila
May 31st, 2013, 02:22 PM
For me, I find it helps to make time for a bit of pampering.

If my routine is out of control busy, something simple like a scalp massage before shampooing, or a richer conditioner.

Mostly it just reminds me to MAKE time for myself in general. Good foods, getting some rest, it all adds up.

During the heat of summer I remind myself how cool it feels as my hair air drys and wear my hair up when I'm out and about to avoid feeling the heat more than I have to.

I also remind myself that I go through phases of wanting to cut it shorter, and always have wound up being really glad I didn't.

fiddlefananb
May 31st, 2013, 02:23 PM
I was here about 3 weeks ago. Mine is past my waist and I got really tired of the upkeep and tangles so I cut bangs and got long layers. That has helped my tangles and brushing tremendously. I can wear it down more often and because I got some light bangs I don't have the "slicked straight back" look that I was sick of. I can still do all my updos with the layers as well.

thistledown
May 31st, 2013, 07:34 PM
I felt much the same, I cut bangs and went from tail bone to just below waist and it's great! The bangs add interest (and I can pin them back or side weep them if I'm a bit bored) and that small difference in length really helps with wearing it down. Only you can decide good luck! :)
Vanessa

Venefica
June 1st, 2013, 01:45 AM
I can understand that time restraint do not allow for having amazing, complicated hair styles all the time, but for me, most days I just twist my hair up into a simple bun and hold it with a pretty hairstick. Sure it is allot of fun when I have the time to make a more complicated hairstyle, but I do wear allot of nautilus buns. But this is the rub with long hair you can do that, just twist your hair up into a nautilus and it looks great, hell look at the jewelry and accessories stores they often sell kits for how to fake such simple buns for shorter hair. I mean for most even a nautilus look impressive and it takes under a minute to make while with shorter hair there is often allot of styling to be done to have your hair look nice. I agree with those in the thread who have suggested that you get yourself a pampering session or perhaps make some small changes, some bangs perhaps, or a different length to spruce things up.

jacqueline101
June 1st, 2013, 07:00 AM
I'd go for the bangs and layers. I wouldn't do too much in case you end up not liking it. If you like it go to waste length.

starlamelissa
June 1st, 2013, 08:03 AM
Ok, I wrote this last night on my ipad and it disappeared. here I go again-

I was feeling like that, and here what helped me. I started seeing a hairstylist (a lovely woman who owns a home based salon, my whole family sees her!) and going for regular trims, of my layers. My bottom layer gets dusted, or not cut at all. I go to her because my hair is less tangly this way, and I just enjoy talking about hair with a person I like.

I started working with my natural texture for the first time, in ever. So I am trying new products, new styling techniques, and its actually kind of fun. I am reading on different kinds of forums, about curly, black, and other wise textured hair. I have learned some cool things, like how to detangle a knot using only the tail side of a rat tail comb and a little conditioner! That knot just fell out!

Anyways, try something else. Maybe change around your hair products, for more fun summer scents. whatever. Cut a fringe if youd like, I love mine. If your stuck in a bun rut, maybe do double buns, braided buns.

I hope that helps!

Wanderlust
June 2nd, 2013, 01:26 PM
I got to a point where taking care of my very damaged hair was more trouble than it was worth, so I chopped off 8 inches and never regretted it.

But it sounds to me like you do want to keep your length, you just don't want to spend so much time on it. So why not cut off an inch at a time until you find a length where it is easier to take care of and looks nicer?

spidermom
June 2nd, 2013, 02:16 PM
You probably have bleach damage. Damage always makes me get down about my hair. Cut it, girl!

Othala
June 2nd, 2013, 04:48 PM
Do you have a vision of the ideal length and condition of your hair? If so, write it out and then write out the steps you have to take to get to that ideal.

Once you set clear and firm goals and have a plan as to how to get there, you are going to be in a much better place concerning your hair.