PDA

View Full Version : Best Volumizing Products/Techniques?

Annibelle
May 30th, 2013, 01:08 PM
I love big hair. I get some volume from diffusing upside-down, and from being a wavy, but I am always looking for MORE VOLUME! I can't help it; I think I look much better with bigger hair. So far, no volumizing product has ever worked for me, but I haven't tried that many. I don't buy products with animal testing, I'm allergic to patchouli (which seems to be in most of the volumizing products I look at), and I prefer natural products (I currently use Avalon Organics Olive Oil moisturizing conditioner and some old Burt's Bees Volumizing conditioner for CO). I use Beautiful Curls leave-in conditioner as my only leave-in, though I'll occasionally use Kiss My Face medium hold gel. Not sure what else I can do. I tried mousse and it was absolutely awful; my hair hates it!

Anyway, do you have any suggestions for volumizing products or techniques? I diffuse upside down, but is there more I can do? I want to look like a lion every day! :lol:

leslissocool
May 30th, 2013, 01:19 PM
I don't really have any, but I'm subscribing :popcorn:.

I absolutely love big voluminous hair! My hair has a lot of volume naturally, but I too love to have more :lol:.

Coolcombination
May 30th, 2013, 07:02 PM
"I want to look like a lion every day" quote of the month!!! The biggest thing I do for volume is head bang just after my hair is washed, this lets the air get to your roots. Then French braid with the crown hair quite loose and poofed up or clip the front up in a poof?

Aliped
May 30th, 2013, 07:55 PM
I sleep with wet or damp hair pulled up over my pillow.

Ambystoma
May 31st, 2013, 07:07 AM
I really like rolling mine onto extra large rollers (satin covered ones are really nice to use), after giving it a light spray with water and letting it dry that way for special occasions - all of the volume, none of the frizz! (if I were to diffuse upside down or shake it around I'd get an enormous fluffy triangle of doom :laugh: )

HintOfMint
May 31st, 2013, 06:30 PM
I've found that a lot of volumizing products are really counterproductive for me. Some of them function to add "thickness" to hair with extra coating agents which ends up weighing down my hair and making it flat. The best volumizing I've gotten is from clarifying, or in some desperate situation, shampooing without conditioning after. Use the latter method at your own risk :p

AnqeIicDemise
May 31st, 2013, 06:43 PM
Hair powder or dry shampoo. I've seen my housemate's normally straight, heavy hair look like a lion's mane after using it.

lapushka
May 31st, 2013, 06:57 PM
I use Beautiful Curls leave-in conditioner as my only leave-in, though I'll occasionally use Kiss My Face medium hold gel. Not sure what else I can do. I tried mousse and it was absolutely awful; my hair hates it!

Anyway, do you have any suggestions for volumizing products or techniques? I diffuse upside down, but is there more I can do? I want to look like a lion every day! :lol:

Diffusing upside down is just about the best way I know of to gain volume and texture. Wish I knew of other methods.

Also, don't base your decisions on one or two mousse(s) you tried. Not all mousses are created equally. There are differences in gels (many many differences), same goes for mousses.

leslissocool
May 31st, 2013, 07:29 PM
Sleep with two french or dutch braids.

Or damp braid a crown twist. It can give really cure texture, and it starts at the root.

deedrr
May 31st, 2013, 11:01 PM
Not sure anymore. They dc'd my favorite root lifting product.

Annibelle
June 1st, 2013, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! :)

Suze2012
June 1st, 2013, 07:57 AM
I put my leave in co on and scrunch upside down.
I'm a curly and air dry only as diffusers give me frizz.

I don't stick with the usual 'don't touch it while it dries' thing though and I scrunch and fluff the roots up upside down as it dries. I don't get frizz doing that though as some do.

Annibelle
June 1st, 2013, 08:25 AM
I find that I'm okay with a little bit of frizz as long as I have nice volume. I love defined curls, but I also love the look of thick hair, so I'm willing to compromise to have SOME curl definition and SOME volume rather than all or nothing for either...