PDA

View Full Version : Moisturizing oils for hair

deedrr
May 29th, 2013, 08:45 PM
Plotting an order for some avocado, grapeseed, apricot and argan oil, I have fine limp hair. What oils do you like to moisturize your ends?

melusine963
May 30th, 2013, 01:43 AM
I use coconut oil, since it's one of the few oils that actually soaks into the hair shafts rather than just sitting on the surface. It works great as a leave-in detangler too. :)

Louise148
May 30th, 2013, 03:45 AM
I have very fine and thin hair and find camellia oil to work best for mine. I use it overnight and then CO it out in the morning and as it's quite a light oil it doesn't overwhelm my fine hair. Also as it is quite light I find I can get away with just CO'ing it clean the next day and find there is no need to shampoo it out.

jacqueline101
May 30th, 2013, 04:03 AM
I don't know about the other oils but argan oil works for fine hair. At least it does for mine.

Firefox7275
May 31st, 2013, 05:41 PM
Oils are water repellant, to moisturise you need humectants which attract water. Polyunsaturated oils can seal but not penetrate, small straight chain molecules like lauric acid in coconut oil and palm kernel oil and (probably) oleic acid in olive, avocado and sweet almond oil can penetrate. They can reduce porosity, keeping water out and preventing hygral fatigue when washing.

My favourite oil is coconut for reduced porosity and increased elasticity, which I combine with sugar syrup/ honey as these are humectants so moisturise.

Vrindi
May 31st, 2013, 05:57 PM
I'm a fan of coconut and sweet almond oils.

deedrr
May 31st, 2013, 06:14 PM
I have very fine and thin hair and find camellia oil to work best for mine. I use it overnight and then CO it out in the morning and as it's quite a light oil it doesn't overwhelm my fine hair. Also as it is quite light I find I can get away with just CO'ing it clean the next day and find there is no need to shampoo it out. Whoa thats spendy!

ravenreed
May 31st, 2013, 06:16 PM
My hair likes pricey oils, camellia and argan.

lapushka
May 31st, 2013, 06:45 PM
A few drops of mineral oil, or a regular silicone serum!

deedrr
May 31st, 2013, 07:33 PM
My hair likes pricey oils, camellia and argan.

My jaw dropped when I saw the price of camellia. Lol

starlamelissa
May 31st, 2013, 07:56 PM
Mineral oil is by far my fav, and olive oil softens my wavy hair nicely

Othala
June 1st, 2013, 06:55 AM
I am a late adopter but I have just discovered Mineral Oil......wow!

gonzobird
June 1st, 2013, 08:06 AM
For my ends right now I can't get enough of
this..... ( for a light leave in)

http://shop.yarokhair.com/FEED-YOUR-YOUTH-fdyryh01.htm

Pumpkin seed and coconut mix as an overnight soak. And a few drops of neem mixed in. Best.

truepeacenik
June 1st, 2013, 09:52 AM
Mineral oils coats. It does not penetrate. It protects, not moisturizers. So, like on the body, would have to be used on damp hair.

A note on humectants, if you live in a desert, the humectant will not draw moisture to your hair but rather to the air.

alexis917
June 1st, 2013, 10:24 AM
I like olive oil the most!
That said, I don't leave the house during a deep oiling.
I smell like pasta.

Sylvestrix
June 1st, 2013, 10:29 AM
I like olive oil the most!
That said, I don't leave the house during a deep oiling.
I smell like pasta.
I love olive oil too, and I had the pasta problem for ages! A drop or two of an essential oil you like takes care of the pasta smell =]

LadyCelestina
June 1st, 2013, 12:01 PM
I like oil blends,preferably with mineral oil,but I also have an oil blend without MO and it's okay.Out of oils on it's own,almond has to be my favourite,though I have tried and like the effects of coconut oil and evoo.

starlamelissa
June 1st, 2013, 04:39 PM
Mineral oils coats. It does not penetrate. It protects, not moisturizers. So, like on the body, would have to be used on damp hair.

seconded. Mineral oil, which I use regularly, I only apply it after showering, on wet skin and hair. My favorite for my hair and body is Johnson's cocoa butter baby oil. It smells strongly like chocolate. I use the plain pink cap baby oil to remove eye makeup, and moisturize my facial skin.

While I don't see that it soaks in, it protects by holding the water in.

Sharysa
June 1st, 2013, 07:16 PM
My hair is dry and coarse. It adores sweet-almond oil anytime, but especially when damp/wet since it's a double-whammy for moisture.

catamonica
June 12th, 2013, 10:30 AM
I use olive oil & conditioner mixed in a tiny bottle. Also I put two capfuls of oil in my shampoo & conditioner. It really makes my hair soft.

Siiri
June 12th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Mineral oil on damp/wet hair, I use four drops on my APL medium coarse hair. Coconut oil is a bit too heavy to use as a leave-in for me. For some reason I haven't had much success with deep treatments, oils don't seem to soak in at all and are difficult to wash out afterwards.

NoRush
June 12th, 2013, 01:33 PM
I like argan oil for pre washing prtection, jojoba and flaxseed oil for detangling, my hair loves those the best but maybe argan is a little too heavy for very fine hair.