PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else highlighting for summer ? I did ! Picture included.

UltraBella
May 29th, 2013, 07:29 PM
Every spring or summer I get the urge to highlight and I always love it. I just had mine done today and it turned out really nice. She did exactly what I asked, lots of teeny tiny very blended blonde highlights. I wanted to cut it shorter again but it's grown so much and I can get it up off my neck so easily - I decided to wait until fall.

If you do anything special to your hair for the summer months, share here please. Pics welcome.

Here's mine. The base color is my natural color.

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/C91B0627-F01A-4A0E-912A-08F5D3C803E5-3908-000001DD3D7A9297_zpsda80a007.jpg (http://s908.photobucket.com/user/beyondbeauty76/media/C91B0627-F01A-4A0E-912A-08F5D3C803E5-3908-000001DD3D7A9297_zpsda80a007.jpg.html)

Micayla47
May 29th, 2013, 07:34 PM
oh ultrabella, you are so beautiful! thanks for posting a picture :)

TazM
May 29th, 2013, 08:33 PM
You must have a really great hairdresser, whenever I've asked for that I get these horrible bright yellow/white obvious streaks! I think I will have to take your photo in with me next time and say 'This dammit!' :eek:

deedrr
May 29th, 2013, 08:47 PM
I have been getting full head highlights for a long time now. Thinking of cutting back and just doing a few foils in the mohawk area to reduce some of my breakage.

UltraBella
May 29th, 2013, 10:09 PM
oh ultrabella, you are so beautiful! thanks for posting a picture :)

Awwww, thanks !

You must have a really great hairdresser, whenever I've asked for that I get these horrible bright yellow/white obvious streaks! I think I will have to take your photo in with me next time and say 'This dammit!' :eek:

She's great, but great highlights honestly aren't that difficult. Finely weaving them ensures they blend well and I always tone highlights. It makes them less obvious, gives them dimension and helps them blend. You go right ahead and take my photo, I'd be honored.

I have been getting full head highlights for a long time now. Thinking of cutting back and just doing a few foils in the mohawk area to reduce some of my breakage.

I've never had breakage from my highlights, but it can depend on your hair type, hair color and amount of lifting needed. Some stylists automatically jump to the heavy duty lighteners too, but mine were achieved using 20 volume developer, so it was pretty gentle.

PriscillaCherel
May 30th, 2013, 02:42 AM
I did the same 2 weeks ago to blend my natural color more with my dyed hair. I only got 2/3 inch +/- natural hair yet :). My hair is a bit damaged at the ends because of all the dye I used in the last 4 years on my hair, but my natural hair and quality is strong :)

Louise148
May 30th, 2013, 03:37 AM
I used to have highlights and when they were done well I always loved them. However I have a LOT of stubborn red in my hair so highlift tint just goes yellowy as it can't quite lift enough to knock out the red. even with violet based tints, they're just not strong enough. So the only option I am left with is a pretty strong bleach which does the job and I always loved the colour but it did take its toll on my hair after a while and that's part of the reason I went back to my natural colour as it was just not growing well enough. But if I had hair that tinted well and I didn't have to bleach I'd probably still be getting highlights.

Your hair looks great UltraBella, all bouncy and full of body. :bounce:

cheetahfast
May 30th, 2013, 04:04 AM
They look lovely!!

I did henna instead for summer, it brightened up my old highlights which is a huge plus!!

jacqueline101
May 30th, 2013, 04:04 AM
Your hair is lovely.

kidari
May 30th, 2013, 04:16 AM
Very pretty! I am so tempted to cut back to BSL and get professional ombre done at the salon for the summer.

browneyedsusan
May 30th, 2013, 05:27 AM
Very classy! I'd love a head full of highlights for summer, but like my henna too.
Yours are very pretty. :)

MegaMystery
May 30th, 2013, 06:00 AM
Very pretty! I always enjoy it when you post pictures, your hair is amazing :)
I won't be highlighting, as I do henndigo on my hair so that would turn out quite horribly I think.

Ocelan
May 30th, 2013, 08:23 AM
I don't do highlights for summer, summer does highlights for me! ;)

Your highlights look lovely and so subtle. I've been to the hairdresser to get some highlights a few times but I never was happy. Once I asked to get just very subtle slightly lighter highlights where I wouldn't see the demarcation line easy. When she was done my head was almost all blonde and I already had the demarcation line of each highlight half an inch from my scalp when I walked out the salon. That's why I kept thinking nobody can do subtle natural looking highlights, but your picture proves me wrong! Either way, I'm happy I don't have to get highlighted again as my natural color does it on its own. :)

Licia
May 30th, 2013, 08:33 AM
UltraBella, your highlight look really gorgeous! But you should not cut them any shorter, they look so beautiful when they are long and wavy :)

akilina
May 30th, 2013, 08:45 AM
Random but I'm glad to hear that you tone hair too....I feel sort of picked on...when I tone my clients hairs I get the eye roll sorta and the " toning does nothing you're just wasting time" I had toned a client using the new kenra rapid toner and it definitely helped but later I got pulled aside and told "you left that toner on for like 30 seconds and it did nothing" when it was more like 3 minutes and it most def helped.

Not trying to hijack I just saw one of your replies...I'm glad to hear someone obviously reputable tones hair hehe :)

I usually don't like the look of thin highlights but yours look wonderful!!! They are definitely lovely and blended.

juliaxena
May 30th, 2013, 09:21 AM
Looking gorgeous as always!!!

I am not doing anything, just wondering if sun bleaching is really damaging. In fact Ultrabella, is it? :D

UltraBella
May 30th, 2013, 09:41 AM
Looking gorgeous as always!!!

I am not doing anything, just wondering if sun bleaching is really damaging. In fact Ultrabella, is it? :D

For some people, yes, it can be quite damaging. Just like our skin, our hair can be damaged by sun exposure if not properly protected.

juliaxena
May 30th, 2013, 10:02 AM
For some people, yes, it can be quite damaging. Just like our skin, our hair can be damaged by sun exposure if not properly protected.

I better not try if I am one of them then. Thanks :)

Khiwanean
May 30th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Your highlights look gorgeous UltraBella! I've never seen such lovely subtle hightlights. Be sure to pass on our compliments to your hairdresser, ok?

alexis917
May 30th, 2013, 12:52 PM
They look so natural and pretty!
Like your hair is just in the sun more, not big bleach stripes. They suit your coloring well!

lapushka
May 30th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Ooh that's cute, and very subtly done as well. You have a talented hair dresser, but that's become apparent on more than one occasion!

UltraBella
May 30th, 2013, 06:11 PM
My hairdresser is seriously talented for sure. She's just so good at her job and she makes it her priority to listen and understand your vision for your hair. I'd seriously sit in her chair and let her do ANYTHING she wanted, I trust her that much.

SoulOfTheSea
May 31st, 2013, 12:05 AM
I love using Sun-In in the summertime; my hair already gets lightened to a golden color naturally, but the Sun-In really helps make it even lighter. I like to use it just towards the ends to help amplify my natural ombre. Your stylist did a really great job on your hightlights, by the way!

AnqeIicDemise
May 31st, 2013, 12:08 AM
Just.. what... can you do that doesn't make you look pretty? xD I bet you look classy and gorgeous in sweats, messy bun and raggedy socks.

You remind me of my sister. She's the same way. She can be wearing a potato sack and still carries herself with grace and beauty.

Lovely as ever, miss thang!

UltraBella
May 31st, 2013, 12:23 AM
Just.. what... can you do that doesn't make you look pretty? xD I bet you look classy and gorgeous in sweats, messy bun and raggedy socks.

You remind me of my sister. She's the same way. She can be wearing a potato sack and still carries herself with grace and beauty.

Lovely as ever, miss thang!

Bicycling doesn't make me look pretty. Especially the helmet. Here you go :

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/7a4b1684-5f64-466a-8ad5-4765b2581143_zps150e2c1f.jpg (http://s908.photobucket.com/user/beyondbeauty76/media/7a4b1684-5f64-466a-8ad5-4765b2581143_zps150e2c1f.jpg.html)

It doesn't make my dad look pretty either, lol :)

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/e606263d-76de-4414-89e6-c424c09fd49d_zps8d24d5ca.jpg (http://s908.photobucket.com/user/beyondbeauty76/media/e606263d-76de-4414-89e6-c424c09fd49d_zps8d24d5ca.jpg.html)

AnqeIicDemise
May 31st, 2013, 12:29 AM
Bicycling doesn't make me look pretty. Especially the helmet. Here you go :

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/7a4b1684-5f64-466a-8ad5-4765b2581143_zps150e2c1f.jpg (http://s908.photobucket.com/user/beyondbeauty76/media/7a4b1684-5f64-466a-8ad5-4765b2581143_zps150e2c1f.jpg.html)

It doesn't make my dad look pretty either, lol :)

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/e606263d-76de-4414-89e6-c424c09fd49d_zps8d24d5ca.jpg (http://s908.photobucket.com/user/beyondbeauty76/media/e606263d-76de-4414-89e6-c424c09fd49d_zps8d24d5ca.jpg.html)

I have respectfully disagree. You still look pretty and Dad.. well, he looks like no matter what degree of sillyness I need to be a good girl or I'll get That Look. Anything but That Fatherly Look!

kitcatsmeow
May 31st, 2013, 05:47 AM
I high lighted! I love it, I now have a very pretty strawberry blonde color that looks very close to the color I was born with. I'll post pics when I get some good ones...

PetuniaBlossom
May 31st, 2013, 11:58 AM
Your hair looks beautiful.
The camera loves you. I wanna look just like you when I grow up!

UltraBella
May 31st, 2013, 12:57 PM
I high lighted! I love it, I now have a very pretty strawberry blonde color that looks very close to the color I was born with. I'll post pics when I get some good ones...

Pictures !!!!!!!!!!

Your hair looks beautiful.
The camera loves you. I wanna look just like you when I grow up!

Awww, thanks. I'm not sure how old you are, but I'm turning 37 in July and I have a 17 yr old daughter.

HadessThera
May 31st, 2013, 03:37 PM
Your hair looks gorgeous! I got a full head of highlights yesterday too, although we're moving into winter here :)

BrightEyes
May 31st, 2013, 05:39 PM
Pretty hair, Ultrabella! I highlight regularly, every 2-3 months. I love being blonde :D

leslissocool
May 31st, 2013, 06:53 PM
I love that color, it really is so spring/summer!

My daughter's hair gets really light in the summer so I also make the lighter hair connection with the seasons :lol:.

LaFlor
May 31st, 2013, 07:40 PM
Random but I'm glad to hear that you tone hair too....I feel sort of picked on...when I tone my clients hairs I get the eye roll sorta and the " toning does nothing you're just wasting time" I had toned a client using the new kenra rapid toner and it definitely helped but later I got pulled aside and told "you left that toner on for like 30 seconds and it did nothing" when it was more like 3 minutes and it most def helped.

Not trying to hijack I just saw one of your replies...I'm glad to hear someone obviously reputable tones hair hehe :)

I usually don't like the look of thin highlights but yours look wonderful!!! They are definitely lovely and blended.

My hair dresser toned my highlights and I think it looked 100x better than the time I got them done without toning!

UltraBella
June 1st, 2013, 09:35 AM
LaFlor, I honestly think highlights should always be toned, period. Even if they look good, they could look even better with a bit of toner !

kitcatsmeow
June 2nd, 2013, 05:15 AM
Pictures !!!!!!!!!!

Awww, thanks. I'm not sure how old you are, but I'm turning 37 in July and I have a 17 yr old daughter.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=112687

Here you go :) I didn't put up befores but the color is in my siggy.

spidermom
June 2nd, 2013, 09:20 AM
It may have been a fluke, but the last time I had highlights, the highlighted hair would swell and puff out, appearing to "float" above the untouched hair. One day after having them, I couldn't wait to grow them out. But of course it took a long time.

But now nature is doing the highlighting for me - much nicer.

UltraBella
June 2nd, 2013, 03:14 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=112687

Here you go :) I didn't put up befores but the color is in my siggy.

It may have been a fluke, but the last time I had highlights, the highlighted hair would swell and puff out, appearing to "float" above the untouched hair. One day after having them, I couldn't wait to grow them out. But of course it took a long time.

But now nature is doing the highlighting for me - much nicer.

How strange, I've never seen anything like that.

spidermom
June 2nd, 2013, 03:29 PM
How strange, I've never seen anything like that.

It was downright weird, not to mention ugly. It was like the highlighted hair had absolutely no weight to it and would not stay down.

Miss Maisie
June 2nd, 2013, 09:24 PM
I don't know if it counts as highlights per se, but I did put a green streak in the underside of my hair. I think it's the pregnancy hormones making me want to do something different and crazy :)

My natural color is very dark brown, and I have a decent amount of white sprinkles around my temples and forehead. This was the first time bleach has touched my hair in 15 years! I do like it - it makes for some visual interest in updos, but I'll probably color my whole head back to it's natural color after the baby's born in July.

browneyedsusan
June 3rd, 2013, 04:12 PM
I don't know if it counts as highlights per se, but I did put a green streak in the underside of my hair. I think it's the pregnancy hormones making me want to do something different and crazy :)

My natural color is very dark brown, and I have a decent amount of white sprinkles around my temples and forehead. This was the first time bleach has touched my hair in 15 years! I do like it - it makes for some visual interest in updos, but I'll probably color my whole head back to it's natural color after the baby's born in July.

Mild thread hijack--> Pictures, please?

swearnsue
June 3rd, 2013, 05:44 PM
My old gray hair is my highlights! When I henna they turn bright red/copper. LOL.

Tia2010
June 5th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Yours look so nice and natural!!! I'm jealous!!

I've been getting a serious itch to switch up my hair color and highlight, but haven't had the nerve. The underlying red in my hair is soooo STUBBORN! :mad:

In the past, every time I've gotten highlights, they went a weird yellowish/orangeish color as opposed to a pretty blondish color. I finally found a girl who did them well, but the amount of time the bleach was left on to get the stubborn red out was to damaging :( So no highlights for me for many many years.

But I'm so bored with my hair that I seriously want to do something with it again, so who knows I may cave and go for it...