PDA

View Full Version : Fine hair and treatment to prevent split ends?

Elina
May 29th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Hey everyone!

If you have fine hair, and tend to get split ends, what products do you use to prevent split ends and shedding?

I try to grow my hair out, and I'm taking biotin as well. I'm going through som really stressful and hard times right now, so that takes it's toll on my hair as well.

But it would be nice to get some tips on products I can use.
I have used olive oil before, and now I usually put Tresemme all naturals conditioner in my hair about for about 30 min before I was my hair.

Thank you!

Anje
May 29th, 2013, 10:53 AM
I tend to find that putting anything except maybe oil in my hair exacerbates tangles, so my hair usually goes without.

What I do do to reduce split ends is detangle and brush SLOWLY and gently. I contain my hair most of the time in a braid or bun, never lean against my braids or trap them under straps, and don't heat style. My hair likes moisture, humectants, and dislikes proteins, so I pay attention to how it feels and give it treatments when it starts to feel a bit off.

This keeps the split ends to a very low single-digit percentage of my hair ends. I'll never be split-free, but gentle care goes far.

jacqueline101
May 29th, 2013, 12:12 PM
I agree gentle care works wonders. Detangle slowly and use products your hair likes.

lapushka
May 29th, 2013, 02:28 PM
I have F hair. I don't know if it "prevents" split ends, but I've always used a serum in my hair, for about as long as they've been out. An oil (mineral oil) or a silicone serum. It smooths over the cuticle real well and sort of seals the ends for me. I rarely find a split end. Rarely. I'm not sure if the serum or the oil have anything --really-- to do with it, but... it doesn't hurt and I love the way it makes the ends feel.

WilfredAllen
May 29th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Hello,
I've heard good things about catnip for split ends. I've only been using it for a month, so I can't personally testify to its effectiveness. As well, I have heard washing hair with diluted vinegar helps smooth the cuticles and balance pH. I used 50-50 white vinegar and water, and apply it to my roots and comb or rinse it down the length. I have found it to be effective in giving my hair a bit more slip and looking shinier, but it is drying, so I use it instead of shampoo. Good nutrition will help you grow stronger hair, but it will take a very long time to see the results!

In terms of shedding, it's usually an internal cause: nutrition, poor blood flow and (probably most commonly) stress. If you're interested you can look into taking a multi vitamin for the first, getting some enjoyable exercise into your life for the last two. There really isn't any sense in getting stressed about how stressed you are though :P

kdaniels8811
May 29th, 2013, 06:42 PM
Diet, exercise, gentle treatment of hair and catnip tea soaks in place of conditioner. Works great!