PDA

View Full Version : Help please with advice to save my hair!

Rowan Will-o'
May 27th, 2013, 08:23 PM
I have recently been diagnosed with sleep apnea, and I am using a C-Pap, with the customary head gear and long tube. I feel the head piece that attaches to the tube is not doing my hair any good and possibly some damage. Before anything serious happens, I would like to hear from any of you long-haired lovelies who also use a C-Pap with advice as to how to minimize any damage from the head piece. I have been putting my hair in a pony tail before going to bed. I then put on the head gear and slip my pony tail over the bottom strap. Then I loosen the covered band on the pony tail so it isn't very tight, and that is how I begin my attempt to sleep.

Hope there are some of you out there in long-haired land who will be able to help me.

Regards,

Rowan Will-o'

skydancer7
May 27th, 2013, 09:31 PM
You know what I did? I croche'd a little tube made of yarn to go over the plastic tube, for my husband. I was practicing a new stitch and had yarn to use up, and ended up putting it on the tube just for the heck of it. It might work to do something similar: cover the tube with some soft material. Good luck!

Kaelee
May 27th, 2013, 09:34 PM
I don't know how a CPap works, but have you tried a pony on top of your head? I do that sometimes. Very comfy.

I can't imagine having to sleep with one of those things strapped to my face. I think I'd suddenly develop insomnia! :(

Not Lynn Merely
May 27th, 2013, 10:20 PM
I don't have sleep apnea, but my father does, and he used a C-Pap for a short while. Have you tried a silky scarf over your hair yet? That would keep the straps from wearing at your hair. A low English braid may be a better hairstyle, too.

BlazingHeart
May 27th, 2013, 10:49 PM
I'd think either a silky scarf or a sleep cap under the c-pap bit might help (one of my uncles has sleep apnea, as does my fiance's father, so I've seen a few kinds of masks). If you're wanting a crocheted cover like Skydancer mentioned, feel free to PM me, I do that sort of stuff. I think a knit would be better than crochet for this purpose (smoother, plus stretchier so measurements don't have to be perfect).

~Blaze

Rowan Will-o'
May 28th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Thank you all so much for your replies. It is not the tube that bothers me so much, as I have a stand that holds the tubing. The worry is the head gear one has to wear. I will try both of the suggestions regarding the sleep cap (which I have). It is pretty silky, so I was afraid the head straps would slip off of it. But I'll give it a shot. The other suggestion of the braid or pony tail on the head sounds great. I tried two side braids one night, and that didn't work too well for me, but I'll try the pony tail on top and then try to make a bun out of it and stick some pins in.

Sometimes, though, when I put my hair in a position it is not used to being in, later, it feels like my head is bruised. Have any of you ever experienced that feeling?

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I really appreciate your time.

Rowan Will-o'

starlamelissa
June 1st, 2013, 08:15 AM
Id do a bun clipped with a claw clip on the top of my head, sleep on a satin pillowcase, and detangle gently with a kids spray detangler in the morning. My husband has sleep apnea, and a cpap. He also had shoulder legnth hair for a while, always slept with it loose, and on acotton pillowcase. His hair still looked really nice, no tangles. He of course has paintbrush thick strands, super coarse.

torrilin
June 1st, 2013, 08:39 AM
Most CPAP masks attach with a velcro and elastic sort of thing. Most of the time, you can work out a comfy setting for the velcro and then let the elastic handle the rest. Yes, there's maybe a smidge more abrasion, but it should be less than you'd experience with a bike helmet or in a martial arts or yoga class. And the same kinds of styles that work for being very active tend to work well for sleeping.

alexis917
June 1st, 2013, 10:15 AM
My grandmother has sleep apnea and always complained about the tube.
She put a fuzzy seat belt cover over it. My grandfather found that hilarious, but she was happy with it!