PDA

View Full Version : In defense of hair gel.

starlamelissa
May 27th, 2013, 09:07 AM
It's no secret that I am working with my waves lately. Which is unusual for me as I am a blow it straight girl from way back. Actually before I blew it straight, about 5 years ago I got a loose perm to "set" my waves in place. It didn't work. Before that, I flat ironed it.

Working with my waves is new, and its sort of fun. My hair is an inch from my desired goal, so damage isn't a big deal for me now.

In the past I found gel to be damaging (I tried to brush through it!) but I think the alcohol free Gels of today are actually helping me, not hurting. Here's how-

After washing and conditioning and combing out tangles in the shower I scrunch in gel. I don't comb it after this for the next 3 days!

The gel washes out easily, but truthfully my hair doesn't get dirty or greasy in its wavy state. For years I've been an every other day washer, but now I am washing every three days, and even then I just want to remove any tangles and shed hairs. My scalp isn't being brushed or touched, so I just am not making oil like I do when worn straight.

Its easy to refresh too! I just make a high pony and braid it at night. In the morning I mist it with water and re scrunch. The gel re liquifies and sets the style again. I never need to re gel it in between washes. Plus the light fragrance makes my hair smell fresh and clean for days between washes.

So far I'm loving it, and I have been using it consistently for a month. Who else finds today's alcohol free gels a boon for their hair?

jacqueline101
May 27th, 2013, 09:09 AM
I use Aussie spray in gel I love the white ginger scent.

renarok
May 27th, 2013, 09:12 AM
I have to start revisiting gel. I have quite a few brands, but I was never happy with them. I decided after a long ponder that I really wasn't liking my hair past tailbone so I cut it back to hip length and added some layers and long bangs and voila!!!! I really like my hair again. I think now that I have some layers gel could be my friend. Do you have a favorite brand?

Kiwiwi
May 27th, 2013, 09:46 AM
I'm glad you are happy with your new routine! :)

You basicly described a big part of The Curly Girl method.
Yes, good gels (without harsh alcohols, etc) are indeed good to use for wavies and curlies :)

californiagirl
May 27th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Yes, good gels (without harsh alcohols, etc) are indeed good to use for wavies and curlies :)

Any good brands that you could recommend? I really need to experiment.

Annibelle
May 27th, 2013, 10:02 AM
I love my Kiss My Face gel. :) I usually opt for just a leave-in conditioner because I'm lazy and its scent never aggravates my allergies, but when I want tighter curls, I go with my gel. :)

Othala
May 27th, 2013, 01:05 PM
I haven't used gel but I do use a styling mousse sometimes to add dramatic waves or height. As long as it doesn't damage your hair, I'm all for anything that allows creative expression of hair.

BrightEyes
May 27th, 2013, 01:19 PM
I used gel today to encourage my waves. I use Jessicurl Gelebration Spray and I always get soft and shiny waves. I've actually made it a goal to embrace my natural waves this summer. I hate blow drying in hot weather. I'm sure my hair will thank me.

starlamelissa
May 27th, 2013, 01:43 PM
Two gels I have (I have two bathrooms,so a gel in each) are biolage gelee, and la Bella super spikes. The biolage gelee smells amazing, and it is a thin liquid consistency. I like the light hold it gives, no stickiness.

the other gel I have is labella super spikes, it's actually my hubby's, he is sporting a gelled quiff these days. The la Bella gel is a very thick gel, that smells like incredibly light citrus scent. It is a little sticky until dry, but it's very nice. Labella makes a conditioner and gel combo called "lots of curls" I hear good things about. It's $1.80 for a metric ton. At Wally's.

also I hear good stuff about olive oil ecostyler. It's a tub gel from Sally's. smells salony. It's marketed towards tightly coily hair.

lapushka
May 27th, 2013, 02:08 PM
After washing and conditioning and combing out tangles in the shower I scrunch in gel. I don't comb it after this for the next 3 days!

The gel washes out easily, but truthfully my hair doesn't get dirty or greasy in its wavy state. For years I've been an every other day washer, but now I am washing every three days, and even then I just want to remove any tangles and shed hairs. My scalp isn't being brushed or touched, so I just am not making oil like I do when worn straight.

Its easy to refresh too! I just make a high pony and braid it at night. In the morning I mist it with water and re scrunch. The gel re liquifies and sets the style again. I never need to re gel it in between washes. Plus the light fragrance makes my hair smell fresh and clean for days between washes.

So far I'm loving it, and I have been using it consistently for a month. Who else finds today's alcohol free gels a boon for their hair?

I have 2a hair, and after washing and conditioning, it goes into a turbie for 15 to 30 minutes. After that, it's detangled with a wide tooth comb, then leave-in goes in (for added moisture), then gel is scrunched in and then a serum is added. To me this is the best styling method - ever!

starlamelissa
May 27th, 2013, 03:27 PM
I have 2a hair, and after washing and conditioning, it goes into a turbie for 15 to 30 minutes. After that, it's detangled with a wide tooth comb, then leave-in goes in (for added moisture), then gel is scrunched in and then a serum is added. To me this is the best styling method - ever!

i also use a leave in under my gel. Mineral oil, paulmitchell the conditioner, or suave sleek anti frizz cream.

jeanniet
May 27th, 2013, 06:06 PM
I can't do curly without a hard hold gel. With the wind and such here, it'd be a mess. I use Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee, which is a very hard holding gel, but the crunch scrunches out just fine.

Firefox7275
May 28th, 2013, 08:29 AM
Not all gels are created equal, some are rich in humectants like propylene glycol or aloe vera so can keep hair hydrated depending on the dew point.

lapushka
May 28th, 2013, 08:44 AM
The gels I use are Eco Styler gel, IC Fantasia gel, and the LA Looks curls gel. They're alcohol free, and also silicone free (except for the IC Fantasia one). I love the Eco Styler gel the most, as the hair's more malleable after applying it and when dry - doesn't dry my hair out as much, even if they are all alcohol free.

kitschy
May 28th, 2013, 08:58 AM
LA Looks Sport gel is a curly girl favorite. I used it for years, but since my hair has gotten longer, I find it no longer serves a purpose for me.

Annibelle
May 28th, 2013, 09:08 AM
You've inspired me to give the gel a go again today. It was always great for me, as long as I got the portions JUST right-- because for me, gel is very finicky.

starlamelissa
May 28th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Just for fun, I gel scrunched one half of my hair, and no product scrunched the other side. The difference was dramatic.

Ungelled-frizzy, dull

gelled-bouncy, well defined, shiny.

curlsgalore
May 28th, 2013, 11:37 AM
LA Looks Sport gel is a curly girl favorite. I used it for years, but since my hair has gotten longer, I find it no longer serves a purpose for me.

Are you still using mineral oil for styling?

curlsgalore
May 28th, 2013, 11:40 AM
I love gel!! I have many, many favorites......:D
LA looks sports gel and mega hold gel
Curlkeeper
Kccc
Uncle Funky's daughter magic curly
Biosilk rock hard gel
Aubrey organics Mandrian magic jelly
Biotera gel
*Testing out volumax mega gel and regular styling gel and GVP liquid sculpting gel

Mingle
May 28th, 2013, 12:03 PM
Awesome, I might try Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee. Does anyone know if it contains silicones or drying agents?

kitschy
May 28th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Are you still using mineral oil for styling?

Yep, I use mineral oil. Today I used 8 drops of MO mixed with 1 drop honey, then flipped upside down and applied 2 more drops MO to the frizzy short hairs at nape.

jeanniet
May 28th, 2013, 12:19 PM
The Rock Hard Gelee doesn't have cones. Not sure about drying agents. It's not drying for me, but I use a leave in under it (Shea Moisture Milk). I also usually use a dab of KCCC with it.

Curl Keeper is always weird for me. Not sure why. I have a full bottle of LAL Sport but I can't stand the scent, lol. I also like Ecostyler Krystal, but it takes forever to dry, and my hair takes long enough as it is.

ETA: The Biosilk can be used in very small amounts. I probably use a dime-sized blob for all my hair, and my hair is very thick. It's easier if you mix it with something, though, like another lighter gel or a leave in.

starlamelissa
May 28th, 2013, 02:43 PM
The biolage gelee is very non drying, and smells nice. La Bella lots of curls actually contains moisturizers. As does la looks nutra curl. And olive oil ecostyler has olive oil in it.

I use baby oil under neath my gel, or a leave in.

Just remember not to detangle or comb once the gel is in. Don't brush or anything until you've washed it out.

starlamelissa
May 28th, 2013, 02:46 PM
I use the size of a grape on damp hair, which I rake thru with my fingers. Then I use about a quarter size to scrunch. My hair is wavy and butt crack length.

Mingle
May 28th, 2013, 03:13 PM
The Rock Hard Gelee doesn't have cones. Not sure about drying agents. It's not drying for me, but I use a leave in under it (Shea Moisture Milk). I also usually use a dab of KCCC with it.

Curl Keeper is always weird for me. Not sure why. I have a full bottle of LAL Sport but I can't stand the scent, lol. I also like Ecostyler Krystal, but it takes forever to dry, and my hair takes long enough as it is.

ETA: The Biosilk can be used in very small amounts. I probably use a dime-sized blob for all my hair, and my hair is very thick. It's easier if you mix it with something, though, like another lighter gel or a leave in.

I like Shea Moisture and I'm using KCCC right now, too! Its quite pricey, however. Have you experienced any other gels similar to Rock Hard Gelee?

jeanniet
May 28th, 2013, 05:15 PM
I like Shea Moisture and I'm using KCCC right now, too! Its quite pricey, however. Have you experienced any other gels similar to Rock Hard Gelee?

I wouldn't exactly say that price is no object to me, but because my hair is rather picky and I have certain environmental conditions to combat (wind), if I find products that work I don't care how much they cost, within reason. The LAL Sport gel is very popular, as mentioned earlier, and I think there's an Herbal Essence one that's also supposed to be good. I can't remember what it's called, though. I use KCCC in small amounts, so it's not all that pricey for me over time.

Mingle
May 28th, 2013, 07:48 PM
That's very true, Jeanniet. Especially if it is a holy grail product! Do you know if any of them flake when scrunching or if you use a lot?

starlamelissa
May 28th, 2013, 08:45 PM
I think the naturally curly website is a good resource for reviews, especially about flaking. The ones I mentioned don't flake in my hair, but I don't know if that's a my hair thing or a good product thing.

curlsgalore
May 28th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Yep, I use mineral oil. Today I used 8 drops of MO mixed with 1 drop honey, then flipped upside down and applied 2 more drops MO to the frizzy short hairs at nape.

With honey? Hmmmm I will have to try this myself. I haven't used honey in a while..don't know why I stopped using it since my hair loved it. I love your hair, it's beautiful!

kitschy
May 28th, 2013, 09:26 PM
With honey? Hmmmm I will have to try this myself. I haven't used honey in a while..don't know why I stopped using it since my hair loved it. I love your hair, it's beautiful!

For some reason the honey acts as an emulsifier for the oil. It's weird, the mixture is neither sticky or oily. I use castor oil with honey and/or a small dollop of condish at times. Other times I use coconut oil, or olive oil. With my hair at hip, I very rarely use gel, it just doesn't work as well at this length, but gel was phenomenal until mid-back for me. And thank you so much for the compliment. I've been aggressively trimming for some reason. I've trimmed three times since December even though my hair seems healthy enough and I've cut off all my growth. Perhaps I've found my goal length - we'll see.

spirals
May 28th, 2013, 10:18 PM
I did my hair before LHC just as described in the OP. I'd go back to gel, but I'm not sure I'm ok with it basically being plastic. It did give me definition and shine, but so does oil. I will say that La Bella makes great products, especially the Lots of Curls gel.

jeanniet
May 28th, 2013, 10:19 PM
I think flaking is kind of a personal thing. Those gels don't flake for me, but I've read reviews where others said they did, and I'm not sure if it's related to amount used or what. I can't imagine using very much of the Biosilk; it's a very hard hold, although it scrunches out really well. If you don't need super hard hold, the Biolage is supposed to be good.

lapushka
May 29th, 2013, 01:17 AM
The biolage gelee is very non drying, and smells nice. La Bella lots of curls actually contains moisturizers. As does la looks nutra curl. And olive oil ecostyler has olive oil in it.

The Eco Styler w/ olive oil is the one I have as well.

Recently, in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mE5MRWnNsM) (you have to watch for a good while, it's around 2:55, 3 minutes in), I learned that you can make a pommade from mixing gel with oils! The result is visible in the video for a short segment; the lady styles her hair with it as she's putting curlers in. She calls it Eco custard!

Buddaphlyy
May 29th, 2013, 10:38 AM
It's always amazing to come here and find all these "bad" product types and ingredients. Not going to stop me from doing what I want with my hair, but always interesting.

The thought to not use gel for any reason has never occurred to me. I've used gel pretty much my whole life. The only time I haven't used it is when I was being to lazy to go replace it. I like gel because it's easy, cheap, and works best for keeping styles in place. One does have to be careful though when picking a gel. Curl defining/activator gels usually have a high humectant content and are best in summer. Strong hold works better in winter.

I'm currently using Naked by Essations Quench Moisturizer (this is a salon only product) and Eco Styler with Olive Oil. I also like Proclaim Aloe Styling Gel (exclusive at Sally's) and Smooth and Shine Curl Activator Gel. I hear good things about Long Aide Curl Activator Gel and Gorilla Snot.

jeanniet
May 29th, 2013, 11:47 AM
It's always amazing to come here and find all these "bad" product types and ingredients. Not going to stop me from doing what I want with my hair, but always interesting.

The thought to not use gel for any reason has never occurred to me. I've used gel pretty much my whole life. The only time I haven't used it is when I was being to lazy to go replace it. I like gel because it's easy, cheap, and works best for keeping styles in place. One does have to be careful though when picking a gel. Curl defining/activator gels usually have a high humectant content and are best in summer. Strong hold works better in winter.

I'm currently using Naked by Essations Quench Moisturizer (this is a salon only product) and Eco Styler with Olive Oil. I also like Proclaim Aloe Styling Gel (exclusive at Sally's) and Smooth and Shine Curl Activator Gel. I hear good things about Long Aide Curl Activator Gel and Gorilla Snot.

Just wanted to point out that the winter/summer issue is somewhat regional. We don't have humid summers here, and do have wet winters, so we're somewhat reversed. There is an issue of indoor heating in the winter, but for the most part people here (me, lol) don't run their heating as much as people in the Midwest or East do, so indoor air doesn't dry out as much. I check NC's Frizz Forecast for dew points, and it seems that here dews are nearly always optimal. That doesn't keep me from getting frizz, though, thanks to the wind and my generally hectic life.

Uh...what I meant to say was, strong hold gels work all year round for me. :p And I just cannot put anything labeled "snot" on my head, even though KCCC looks and feels like it!

Buddaphlyy
May 29th, 2013, 12:16 PM
^^^@jeanniet, yeah, definitely its is regional with regards to humectants and summer. I live in Chicago and we're already getting a fair amount of 80+ degree weather with lots of humidity even though it technically won't be summer for another 3 1/2 weeks. My hair and curl activator gel love the humidity. When I use strong hold, it seems my hair can't expand with the humidity and that causes breakage for me. I wish I was so diligent about my hair to check dewpoints, but I'm far too lazy for that. I barely watch the weather report and as long as there's no rain, I assume it's okay for me and the curl activator gel lol.

And BTW, Gorilla Snot looks a lot like just regular gel to me. But yeah, I can see why the name might turn people off from it. Especially when you see the front of the jar.

Mingle
May 29th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the thoughts, guys. :)

I've used Smooth N Shine Curl Activator Gel before, its okay. I guess I though it would create a cast that I would then scrunch out, but it dried soft no matter what amount I used. I think if anyone is looking for a gel that doesn't dry hard, this is a good one for a small tub at about 3 dollars. Personally, it wasn't for me. :P

starlamelissa
May 29th, 2013, 02:00 PM

The thought to not use gel for any reason has never occurred to me. .

You are far more free minded than I am, once I joined lhc out went all heat tools and styling products. I also tried some no sulphate poos and con dishes. Oh, and co washing!

Now I use some lhc methods, but I do quite a bit of my own methods. My hair is still longer than anyone else's in the room so there ya go.

btw-what do you think of Eco styler?

Buddaphlyy
May 29th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the thoughts, guys. :)

I've used Smooth N Shine Curl Activator Gel before, its okay. I guess I though it would create a cast that I would then scrunch out, but it dried soft no matter what amount I used. I think if anyone is looking for a gel that doesn't dry hard, this is a good one for a small tub at about 3 dollars. Personally, it wasn't for me. :P

Not sure you're hair type, but curl activator gels are usually for naturally curly or permed hair to make it more curly. It's not supposed to be hard at all ever since it's nature is to encourage curling and the best way to do that is with moisture/softness. Not trying to negate your experience with the product (even though I love it), but it might not have worked if you used it for hold because it's not supposed to hold.

You are far more free minded than I am, once I joined lhc out went all heat tools and styling products. I also tried some no sulphate poos and con dishes. Oh, and co washing!

Now I use some lhc methods, but I do quite a bit of my own methods. My hair is still longer than anyone else's in the room so there ya go.

btw-what do you think of Eco styler?

Lol. The irony of this statement is that my routine is the epitome of "LHC methods" (sulfate free shampoo as needed, co washing almost daily). I eschew that statement though because I just happened upon a lot of my regimen and staples from being a natural product junkie.

I think Eco Styler gel is good, but you have to find the ones that work for you. Not sure how many are available in total, but I know I tried at least 7 of them before deciding to go with the Olive Oil (green) and Krystal Styling (clear). I mostly use them for medium to strong hold when I wear braids. I try to use them on damp or wet hair because they will definitely make my hair crunchy and sticky if I add them to dry hair.

Annibelle
May 29th, 2013, 05:15 PM
oooh, that is interesting about "curl activator" vs "hard hold" gels. I think I'll give a curl-activating gel a try again; I have one in my closet that I used once and gave up on because I couldn't scrunch out the crunch. That's why! I'll just have to use less next time!