PDA

View Full Version : Wedding hair - what can I do with it?

loveisdivine
May 27th, 2013, 07:26 AM
Hi all,

So I'm getting married in September. Currently my hair is about an inch shy of hip on the longest layers. I'm getting pretty bored with my hair at this stage. Its not long enough yet for it to have that "wow" factor that super long hair has. Also, the colour is quite 'meh'. I posted in another thread about how my natural ginger has faded quite a bit and I'm left with a fairly dull browny type colour, with a few lighter bits at the ends from old colouring.

Basically I'm looking for suggestions as to what I can do with my hair for now and for the wedding. On the wedding day itself it will be down and I will be wearing a flower garland and a veil. Later the veil will come off. So are there any temporary colouring options that wont damage my hair? Are those hair chalk things any good? I'm open to ideas! I'm just a bit bored of my hair at the minute and need something to jazz it up a little for the big day without it looking too unnatural.

Heres a couple of recent pics for inspiration!

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o369/loveisdivine_photos/147939F4-F721-45D2-8B53-8C371B7D7965-1277-0000017103219626_zps3883c3eb.jpg (http://s341.photobucket.com/user/loveisdivine_photos/media/147939F4-F721-45D2-8B53-8C371B7D7965-1277-0000017103219626_zps3883c3eb.jpg.html)

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o369/loveisdivine_photos/14D91280-3593-4F8E-9162-4790F17F58D2-1277-00000170F5F7EBBF_zpsf5622dd2.jpg (http://s341.photobucket.com/user/loveisdivine_photos/media/14D91280-3593-4F8E-9162-4790F17F58D2-1277-00000170F5F7EBBF_zpsf5622dd2.jpg.html)

SerinaDaith
May 27th, 2013, 08:31 AM
Manic Panic has some colors which are less crazy looking and will wash out over time. Hair chalking is good for about a day but can be drying. Piranda braids with yarn or floss are good for pops of color without the dry out of chalk but don't look super natural. Hair tape with ribbons or cords can be nice too for some color. I think your hair is long enough for some wow factor just about anywhere but the lhc where there are people with floor length hair.

jacqueline101
May 27th, 2013, 08:52 AM
I agree with the above posting you can also get a feather, hair color extension, and a bling strand.

loveisdivine
May 27th, 2013, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the replies. I like the idea of a hair colour extension. I'd only be wearing it for a day so no big deal. Same with the chalks. I might give them both a go and see.

I'd love to due it but I've heard that manic panic doesn't always wash out well. If it looked crap I'd be stuck with it for my wedding day!

dulce
May 27th, 2013, 12:45 PM
One word,hair toys!!!I love the fancy Diamante pearl African butterfly clips!!!You can do a full updo,a half up or a pony.it's unique ,different and you don't need a salon to do it and it won't cost an arm and a leg.

Nebulae
May 27th, 2013, 01:15 PM
No ideas here, but I just have to say that your hair color is stunning! Not 'meh' at all :thud: So pretty!

Angelica
May 27th, 2013, 04:37 PM
I agree with the above poster, your hair is gorgeous, the length and colour and it certainly isn't at all "meh." There should be plenty of wedding hairstyles you can try out. Congratulations by the way :)

BlazingHeart
May 27th, 2013, 05:00 PM
If you want to go traditional, women used to sometimes tie or braid strands of pearls into their hair. If you go with small rice or potato (that is, oblong rather than round) freshwater pearls, you can get them for a couple bucks a strand on ebay. Use the same microlink things they use for putting in extensions. That'd be eye-catching and you could get them either in white or offwhite to match your dress or buy them dyed (they make all kinds of colors nowadays, so you could get something that matches your theme colors).

~Blaze

Amorice
May 27th, 2013, 05:09 PM
I'll post photos (other than my avi) later, when I'm on my PC and not my tablet, but my hair was close-ish to your length on my wedding day. I had my stylist curl the bottom half or so (which was dip-dyed purple!) & she braided 2 small side sections to stick my tiara combs in to (otherwise they'd fall out). I wanted to keep it down to show off my length, and figured the tiara was decoration enough.

Its only May, so you have some time to experiment. Manic Panic and other vegetable dyes stain the hair, which is why they come out over time with washings. They last longer on very light or bleached hair, but on your natural hair they'll probably not last super long. Unless your virgin hair is the type to always hold on to demi/semi-permanent colorings for a long time. There are also 1-day varieties that you "brush" in, kind of like the chalk colorings but creamier.

Calaelen
May 27th, 2013, 08:56 PM
Green tea rinses have such a dramatic effect on natural ginger hair that I have known ladies to be accused of colouring after they've took my advice and used it. It is a fairly permanent effect for as long as you continue with it, but all it does is enhance the natural shade of your hair. Yours is beautiful, and I think it could benefit greatly if you think it has faded out with age, which is extremely common for redheads. All you do is steep some green tea, the better quality, the better the results, and use this as a final rinse every time you wash. It takes time for the effect to show though, so if you like this method, starting soon is a good idea :)

loveisdivine
May 28th, 2013, 08:16 AM
If you want to go traditional, women used to sometimes tie or braid strands of pearls into their hair. If you go with small rice or potato (that is, oblong rather than round) freshwater pearls, you can get them for a couple bucks a strand on ebay. Use the same microlink things they use for putting in extensions. That'd be eye-catching and you could get them either in white or offwhite to match your dress or buy them dyed (they make all kinds of colors nowadays, so you could get something that matches your theme colors).

~Blaze

I'm definitely going to look into this, my necklace and earrings for the day have some pearls in them so it would fit nicely with that. Never heard of them before so thanks!

Might have a go with the green tea too. I have some in my cupboard longing to be used. I didnt really like the taste!

Perhaps I could also be brave and test out some manic panic. Maybe collect some shed hairs and test it on that first.

Thanks again every one :)

fairview
May 28th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Sometimes simple can be timeless classic. I would consider a side part with a side swept braid and incorporate some very delicate hair accessories with some hair pins or even a bun punctuated with some fancy sticks. You want to be the center of attention, not your hair. I would also suggest you discuss and provide firm guidance to the appropriate hairstyles with your bridesmaids. You don't want competition from their styles.

As far as color, it you want to punch it up I would first interview a number of colorists to find one that is knowledgeable about how your natural color or contributing pigment affects the final outcome, face type/structure and complexion types. I would also suggest a demi permanent as a color of choice since you will be able to have it during your honeymoon but not committed to color as it will fade/shampoo out to your natural color.

This is not something I would suggest to be DIY. You are right to be thinking about this now. Find a stylist, interview several,have them do some trials from pictures you like. If the stylist does exactly what is pictured with no considerations or recommendations based on your face type I would find a new one. If you are going to have a color and cut before the wedding, do it 2 weeks prior, better 3. Anything sooner and it will look "too fresh.'" Remember your solorist and stylist need not be one in the same person for this big day. You can splurge.

loveisdivine
May 28th, 2013, 09:04 AM
Would a stylist not use harsher dyes though? I've been reading about "Adore" Semi permanent dyes, has anyone any experience with them? They have more natural colours than manic panic and such.

Venefica
May 28th, 2013, 11:34 AM
What about making allot of tiny braids and then pinning them up with hair pins tipped with pearls, that would look pretty. Oh and also the color of your hair is pretty.

Seeshami
May 28th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Eye shadow works just like the chalk. And I have used watered down easy to remove face paint to temp color my hair.

Redhead Rebel
May 28th, 2013, 05:12 PM
First of all congrats :). Would you consider using Henna/Henna gloss to brighten your hair colour if you find it dull?

I have found that my colour is fading with age, but white vinegar rinses have started to restore the colour! Also Rooibos tea rinses can stain your hair a bit brighter until the next wash.

I've been thinking about diluting my vinegar rinse with rooibos tea instead of water, which i'm sure will give an even better result :)

loveisdivine
May 29th, 2013, 09:00 AM
Oh I dont think I'm ready for someting as perminent as henna. Maybe a henna gloss? I did a cassia treatment before and it had practically no effect at all :(

Anje
May 29th, 2013, 09:26 AM
If you're not up for permanent, just avoid the henna entirely. A gloss might fade, but it might not. Doesn't seem worth it to me if you only want a temporary effect. I wouldn't expect to see much if any color change on your hair from cassia/senna.

If anything, a Manic Panic gloss could be subtle but brighten your color a bit. And it'll probably fade out within a few weeks, so you'd have time to test it out. I had some fun last year with "Wildfire", which is an orangey red, might be fairly natural if diluted significantly with conditioner.

loveisdivine
May 29th, 2013, 10:06 AM
^^Thanks. I think I'm gonna go with the "Adore" range. I'm gonna adore French Cognac and Paprika. They seem to be more natural looking shades. They are quite cheap too. Only £4.50! I'll test them on some shed hairs and see which I prefer. They are 8-10 washes so plenty of time to test it all out before the big day.

I couldnt seem to find those pearl string on ebay. Maybe I'm not searching for it right. What are they actually called?

Anje
May 29th, 2013, 10:56 AM
I couldnt seem to find those pearl string on ebay. Maybe I'm not searching for it right. What are they actually called?
Try something like "freshwater pearl strand".

rainfortheend
May 29th, 2013, 11:17 AM
ACV brings out red highlights quite nicely. I dilute mine with black tea to fight shedding.

Also, have you considered doing a half-up? Here's some inspiration: http://pinterest.com/pin/52072939414186412/

sparrowswing
May 29th, 2013, 06:02 PM
I personally love the pearl idea. Marie Antoinette (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/98/Marie-Antoinette,_1775_-_Mus%C3%A9e_Antoine_L%C3%A9cuyer.jpg) wore pearls in her hair fairly often, so it really is a classic style. And there are lots of different ways you could do it. You could just add accents like a small comb or pearl-tipped pins.

You could braid a strand of pearls into your hair like this (http://data.whicdn.com/images/26700720/tumblr_m0n5rml0VF1qhw9nno1_1280_large.jpg) or this (http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7nca0pY8b1qihh0eo1_500.jpg). For smaller accent braids I'd use the pearls as their own strand (whether you want the pearls to be the same size as the strands of hair is up to you and whether you prefer symmetry or a more textured look), but if you were doing a full braid I'd just add the pearls into one or more strands.

As far as buying the beads, I'd go for something like this (http://www.brightlingsbeads.com/whitricpear5.html), or just try something like this search (http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Loose-Beads-/488/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=white+rice+freshwater+pearl+strand&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1) on ebay. They usually come in 15-16" strands, which should work fine for a braid, but they're also easy enough to shorten or tie more than one together.

Some other cute pearl ideas: cute half-up (http://weddingjewellery.co.nz/79-193-thickbox/freshwater-pearl-drop-hair-pin---long.jpg), braided side bun (http://img3.etsystatic.com/000/0/5558007/il_fullxfull.260831495.jpg), pearl hair vine around braid (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_PH1ayrhWqhg/TKvb1YgC3LI/AAAAAAAAAB4/6YZhvVykRis/s1600/merrittgade_Halloween2010_Leaf_Pearl_Hair_Vine.jpg ), cascade accent on pins (http://images1.hellotrade.com/data2/HP/TX/HTVENDOR-2095629/5-strand-pearl-hair-string-250x250.jpg), cascade accent on combs (http://truebluemeandyou.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/diy-pearl-hair-clip-tutorial-clones-and-clowns.jpg), floating pearl accents (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-AiYxt21xPHM/T1JmoloXQyI/AAAAAAAACBI/4RNaHHLvjGI/s1600/Daisy+TheMandarineGirl+Pearl+Hair.jpg).

Your color is gorgeous. I don't think you should change it much. Maybe an accent strand or colored tips or just brighten it with a tea or ACV rinse. I say try a few things out over the next couple of months and see what you like.

fairview
May 29th, 2013, 06:50 PM
Would a stylist not use harsher dyes though? I've been reading about "Adore" Semi permanent dyes, has anyone any experience with them? They have more natural colours than manic panic and such.

They have many options and the stupid ones most definitely will damage your hair but salon color is much more gentle than any box color. There is a saying about 'Tools in the hand of Fools...' and it is equally app;licable in the salon environement.

If you go with a demi-permanent it will last about 6 -8 weeks based on shampooing 2X a week and assuming a color safe shampoo and conditioner is used. I'm prejudicial. I am a colorist and stylist. Unlike my peers, I simply adore the idea of people using box color or experimenting with techniques and DIY products that they have limited experience with especially prior to a big day such as yours. I'm not saying they are bad but if your experience is limited with whatever you are about to put on your hair, it will probably translate to a professional color correction which further translates to really big $$$ for a colorist. The longer your hair is the more damaged (porous) it will be as you pass the mid-shaft and travel to the ends. No matter how well you may be taking care of your locks, when something as delicate as hair has been exposed to the elements for several years (ends) severe damage is unavoidable. Unless mid-shaft to ends are pretreated, the porosity will cause the hair to grab any color faster and hold onto more of it no matter how long or how short any color is left to process. Think of the end result as being a reverse ombre. Your hair is always naturally darker at the scalp and then proceeds to lighten from environmental factors (sunlight. ect) Damaged hair that is colored and hasn't been properly pretreated will be darker at the ends and lighter at the scalp which is the opposite of what it should be. I would suggest a clarifying shampoo followed with perhaps a demi-permanent clear shine or minimally a salon keratin protein treatment.

Unless you have experience in what is being suggested for you to do, I would warn you not to do it with all your hair. While everyone's suggestions are well intentioned, they won't be the ones looking at the reflection of some really bad hair if something goes awry in the process. Do test stands. Or at least be ready to shell out a lot of quid for a professional color correction. My minimum charge for a color correction is $350.00. For you and your length of hair it would be a lot more.

purple_omelette
June 1st, 2020, 11:18 PM
Reviving an old thread! :D

I'm getting married in November and I'm starting to fret about what I'm going to do with my hair. It will be just shy of classic-length by that point if all goes well, it's medium thickness and slightly wavy. I was hoping to wear it down, but now I'm starting to worry that it might look a bit boring, and that it will tangle like anything as soon as I started moving around (not to mention dancing after the reception!).

Any suggestions/tips/past experience would be greatly appreciated <3 Here is some more information

- The wedding will be in early summer (southern hemisphere) and likely take place outdoors
- I wear my hair up every day, so it's in very good condition with minimal taper, and I also would like to wear it either fully down or half-down to do something a bit different to my everyday style
- I've tried rag curls and it took me over 2 hours to get the tangles out, so I've had to scrap that idea. Does anyone know if one day of heat styling will make much of an impact on my hair quality? I don't want to have to deal with those dreaded tangles again, and I like the control you get with a curling iron.
- My dress has an open back

Please feel free to post your own wedding pics or other inspiration below!

purple_omelette
June 8th, 2020, 06:18 PM
No replies ;(

cjk
June 8th, 2020, 09:17 PM
With classic length hair you can do all sorts of styles. Could you narrow it down for us?

You mentioned rag curls.

Start with the basics. What are you trying to do with your hair? What look you trying to achieve?

Kalamazoo
June 8th, 2020, 11:17 PM
Maybe a Rapunzelesque braid? https://stylishbrideaccs.com/collections/bridal-hair-vines

ETA: Ooooo! Ooooo! Ooooo! I found another page of pictures! https://www.pinterest.com/pin/350295677239486311/

My guess is that all of these hairstyles have names & directions in the LHC hairstyle thesaurus & on YouTube.

purple_omelette
June 9th, 2020, 01:15 AM
With classic length hair you can do all sorts of styles. Could you narrow it down for us?

You mentioned rag curls.

Start with the basics. What are you trying to do with your hair? What look you trying to achieve?

I'm not really sure, hence why I opened up the floor to all you LHC people! :) I just know I'd prefer to have it down somehow, to show its length and condition, since it's up and hidden away most of the time. But I also want it to look neat and well-styled (and tangle-free), and I don't know how achievable that is without heat-styling (which I would prefer to avoid). So I'm hoping a few members can share some tips, or their own experiences, with wedding hair or wearing long hair down for formal events.

purple_omelette
June 9th, 2020, 01:15 AM
Maybe a Rapunzelesque braid? https://stylishbrideaccs.com/collections/bridal-hair-vines

That's lovely :O how is that look achieved?

Kalamazoo
June 9th, 2020, 02:36 AM
Well, I'm not exactly sure, personally; but the LHC Hairstyle Thesaurus is at https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=145554

So the (time-consuming) way to do this is to wade through the Thesaurus & follow all the links to the YouTube videos. Eventually, you'll find one that you really like.

If you see a picture of a particular 'do that is THE ONE (or a few that might be) & there's no name attached, then start another thread entitled something like "Can anybody tell me the name of this hairstyle?" & include a link to the picture(s). Somebody's bound to know what it's called! Once you know the name, you can search for it on YouTube to get the instructions.

And congratulations on needing a wedding hairstyle!:cheese::waltz::hollie:

HaMalka
June 9th, 2020, 05:52 AM
That's lovely :O how is that look achieved?

If you are talking about the first image, it looks like the vine was placed over the head and the ends were braided into a very poofy braid, likely with the assistance of something giving the hair texture, pancakeing, and lots of product.

cjk
June 9th, 2020, 06:20 AM
Actually, instead of having you choose the style let's take a slightly different approach.

You said you want something that shows off its length. Okay. anything else? Use your words. Don't just find a photograph.

Let us do that.

What are you wanting your hair to say?

And what does your dress look like? You know, it's not just the hair. It's the total look.

On a personal note I'd like to reiterate with the ladies said earlier, congratulations on the wedding!

TinaRider
June 9th, 2020, 08:19 AM
Check out this youtuber and all her hairstyles! https://www.youtube.com/user/silvousplaits/videos Other awesome youtubers who do hairstyle tutorials are 'torrinpaige', 'Loepsi' and 'ladollyvita333'. :bow: Hope this helps!

sumidha
June 9th, 2020, 11:21 AM
What style is your dress and what 'vibe' are you going for? I know you said open back but is it like, fluffy princessy, flowy fantasy, retro?

A style doesn't have to be super complicated to be beautiful, doing twists on the front and pinning them back with wedding-y clips that match your dress can be totally beautiful. Though obviously if you do want a complicated looking style that is awesome too.

Also, for what it's worth one day of heat styling, conventional products and tangling isn't going to totally destroy your hair, unless you have some kind of freak overheating curling iron accident. It's your wedding, do the hair that you want! :)

enting
June 9th, 2020, 12:14 PM
If your dress has an open back, think about whether you would like that to show or not. You don't need a full updo if you want it to show, you could do something like a comet bun which shows off a lot of length but still keeps it a bit collected to show your back. If you'd prefer your hair down and don't mind if it masks your back, that's totally an acceptable choice, just be aware of what choices you're making.

I had my hair in a halfup for my wedding and I had a faux lace-up back. There was a breeze that day so our guests saw my lacings as the wind moved my hair, but if it had been a still day nobody would have seen it at all. I didn't think about it ahead of time, I just got lucky.

purple_omelette
June 9th, 2020, 06:52 PM
Well, I'm not exactly sure, personally; but the LHC Hairstyle Thesaurus is at https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=145554

So the (time-consuming) way to do this is to wade through the Thesaurus & follow all the links to the YouTube videos. Eventually, you'll find one that you really like.

If you see a picture of a particular 'do that is THE ONE (or a few that might be) & there's no name attached, then start another thread entitled something like "Can anybody tell me the name of this hairstyle?" & include a link to the picture(s). Somebody's bound to know what it's called! Once you know the name, you can search for it on YouTube to get the instructions.

And congratulations on needing a wedding hairstyle!:cheese::waltz::hollie:

Thank you, this is very helpful! :)

purple_omelette
June 9th, 2020, 07:02 PM
If you are talking about the first image, it looks like the vine was placed over the head and the ends were braided into a very poofy braid, likely with the assistance of something giving the hair texture, pancakeing, and lots of product.

Thank you :)

Actually, instead of having you choose the style let's take a slightly different approach.

You said you want something that shows off its length. Okay. anything else? Use your words. Don't just find a photograph.

Let us do that.

What are you wanting your hair to say?

And what does your dress look like? You know, it's not just the hair. It's the total look.

On a personal note I'd like to reiterate with the ladies said earlier, congratulations on the wedding!

I think I'd something wavy and romantic, maybe a side part, maybe a headpiece? Unfortunately I'm not very sure, I have a lot of ideas but no concrete image in my mind yet.
My dress looks somewhat like the one below, which I used as a template when talking through the design with my seamstress. Mine will be a very similar shape, but have lace around the neckline, bodice and hem.
https://luvbridal.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/ANITRA_B.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/474x/12/f2/7a/12f27a7672c55101292c84820a9ae32a.jpg

Check out this youtuber and all her hairstyles! https://www.youtube.com/user/silvousplaits/videos Other awesome youtubers who do hairstyle tutorials are 'torrinpaige', 'Loepsi' and 'ladollyvita333'. Hope this helps!

Thank you!

What style is your dress and what 'vibe' are you going for? I know you said open back but is it like, fluffy princessy, flowy fantasy, retro?

A style doesn't have to be super complicated to be beautiful, doing twists on the front and pinning them back with wedding-y clips that match your dress can be totally beautiful. Though obviously if you do want a complicated looking style that is awesome too.

Also, for what it's worth one day of heat styling, conventional products and tangling isn't going to totally destroy your hair, unless you have some kind of freak overheating curling iron accident. It's your wedding, do the hair that you want!

See above images :) It's good to know that one day of heat styling won't totally wreck my hair!
I'm not sure yet re: complexity, though I know I'd like a half-up over an updo. I really like curly/wavy, loose kind of hairstyles, +/- braids (I love braids!)

If your dress has an open back, think about whether you would like that to show or not. You don't need a full updo if you want it to show, you could do something like a comet bun which shows off a lot of length but still keeps it a bit collected to show your back. If you'd prefer your hair down and don't mind if it masks your back, that's totally an acceptable choice, just be aware of what choices you're making.

I had my hair in a halfup for my wedding and I had a faux lace-up back. There was a breeze that day so our guests saw my lacings as the wind moved my hair, but if it had been a still day nobody would have seen it at all. I didn't think about it ahead of time, I just got lucky.

Yes, my dress will have an open back (up to about mid-lower back). Part of the reason I chose an open back was because I knew I'd prefer to have my hair down (and also the balance the high neckline).

Do you have pictures of your wedding hair?

sumidha
June 9th, 2020, 07:30 PM
With that style dress I think one of those super fluffy deconstructed braids like Kalamazoo posted would look awesome.

purple_omelette
June 10th, 2020, 01:17 AM
With that style dress I think one of those super fluffy deconstructed braids like Kalamazoo posted would look awesome.

Thanks! :)

DropStitches
June 10th, 2020, 06:31 AM
Many congratulations on the impending wedding! Since you said you loved braids, I'm throwing three braids into the mix.

Firstly, the 'mermaid'/'cage'/'rib-cage' braid, which I think looks quite loosey-goosey and romantic! As she says in this video, you could either braid the entire length and pancake it, or you could stop halfway, finish the section you'd braided in an English braid (or other braid of your choice), and have the rest loose and wavy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWB3fERd3yU

Secondly, the 'split-stack'/'stacked pull-through braid', which creates a cool braid-on-top-of-a-braid look. I first came across it in this video - I'm not a big fan of the messy bun she used to finish it, but you could either have your hair loose in a ponytail or continue the braid over your shoulder. I put this in partly because maybe having your hair coming over your shoulder to the front would show off the back of the dress better?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sluIG-HtkP4

I think this video of it might actually be a little clearer on the split-stack technique, plus as a dark-haired person myself, it's nice to see that the braid still looks dramatic on dark hair (I feel like sometimes intricate braids can get a bit lost on dark hair):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19X9a7RFbSQ

Thirdly, some variety of fishtail braid. I chose this video because, again, the braid is angled to the side and finishes over your shoulder to show off the back of your dress, though of course you could equally do it going down the back of your head, or stop incorporating new hair when you finish the front section, finish it off in a regular fishtail braid, and have the rest of your hair loose:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8Tc_eRbuu8

Ooh, you're making me so eager to have long hair again so I can do these braids myself!

purple_omelette
June 10th, 2020, 07:22 AM
Many congratulations on the impending wedding! Since you said you loved braids, I'm throwing three braids into the mix.

Firstly, the 'mermaid'/'cage'/'rib-cage' braid, which I think looks quite loosey-goosey and romantic! As she says in this video, you could either braid the entire length and pancake it, or you could stop halfway, finish the section you'd braided in an English braid (or other braid of your choice), and have the rest loose and wavy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWB3fERd3yU

Secondly, the 'split-stack'/'stacked pull-through braid', which creates a cool braid-on-top-of-a-braid look. I first came across it in this video - I'm not a big fan of the messy bun she used to finish it, but you could either have your hair loose in a ponytail or continue the braid over your shoulder. I put this in partly because maybe having your hair coming over your shoulder to the front would show off the back of the dress better?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sluIG-HtkP4

I think this video of it might actually be a little clearer on the split-stack technique, plus as a dark-haired person myself, it's nice to see that the braid still looks dramatic on dark hair (I feel like sometimes intricate braids can get a bit lost on dark hair):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19X9a7RFbSQ

Thirdly, some variety of fishtail braid. I chose this video because, again, the braid is angled to the side and finishes over your shoulder to show off the back of your dress, though of course you could equally do it going down the back of your head, or stop incorporating new hair when you finish the front section, finish it off in a regular fishtail braid, and have the rest of your hair loose:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8Tc_eRbuu8

Ooh, you're making me so eager to have long hair again so I can do these braids myself!

Wow, this is incredibly helpful! :O Thank you!

DropStitches
June 10th, 2020, 08:07 AM
Wow, this is incredibly helpful! :O Thank you!

No problem! :o It's good motivation for me to keep growing so I can have this kind of braid fun myself! And actually (without wishing to jinx it!) if me and my boyfriend ever did get married, I'd love my hair to be longer for this very reason!

enting
June 10th, 2020, 11:48 AM
Yes, my dress will have an open back (up to about mid-lower back). Part of the reason I chose an open back was because I knew I'd prefer to have my hair down (and also the balance the high neckline).

Do you have pictures of your wedding hair?

So then you've already thought about it and decided. Excellent.

I do have pictures somewhere. Or DH does, but I don't have them easily accessible to post here.

My inspiration picture that I showed the lady who did my hair and makeup was this https://secureservercdn.net/160.153.137.99/184.448.myftpupload.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Cutest-Curly-Wedding-Hairstyles.jpg (I don't know where the original is, I just google image searched for it.)

She worked out something pretty similar on me, since my hair is 2cish, used to be more toward 2c/3a. My hair was around BSL when curly at the time, maybe a smidge longer. It's essentially a messy/curly half up bun with flowers around the bun part. I had white bougainvilleas in my hair.

purple_omelette
June 10th, 2020, 06:23 PM
No problem! :o It's good motivation for me to keep growing so I can have this kind of braid fun myself! And actually (without wishing to jinx it!) if me and my boyfriend ever did get married, I'd love my hair to be longer for this very reason!

Haha I'm glad you've also been inspired by this exercise! :D

So then you've already thought about it and decided. Excellent.

I do have pictures somewhere. Or DH does, but I don't have them easily accessible to post here.

My inspiration picture that I showed the lady who did my hair and makeup was this https://secureservercdn.net/160.153.137.99/184.448.myftpupload.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Cutest-Curly-Wedding-Hairstyles.jpg (I don't know where the original is, I just google image searched for it.)

She worked out something pretty similar on me, since my hair is 2cish, used to be more toward 2c/3a. My hair was around BSL when curly at the time, maybe a smidge longer. It's essentially a messy/curly half up bun with flowers around the bun part. I had white bougainvilleas in my hair.

That is gorgeous! I'm definitely saving it, I think it would look fantastic with the dress!

TinaRider
June 15th, 2020, 03:23 AM
Have you considered braiding your hair into very tight braids to curl in a 3c pattern and then wearing it super curly? That's not boring. :)

purple_omelette
June 15th, 2020, 04:21 AM
Have you considered braiding your hair into very tight braids to curl in a 3c pattern and then wearing it super curly? That's not boring. :)

I have thought about this, and I actually took my hair out of double dutch braids yesterday and had the most gorgeous curls, but they only lasted about an hour :( is there any way to make them last longer?

enting
June 15th, 2020, 05:34 AM
I have thought about this, and I actually took my hair out of double dutch braids yesterday and had the most gorgeous curls, but they only lasted about an hour :( is there any way to make them last longer?

I think if you put them in when your hair is wet or damp and take them out when dry it will last longer.
Gel of some sort while putting them in or maybe just over the braids before taking them out may help them last longer as well, like aloe or glycerin gel.

Mariekeeee14
June 15th, 2020, 06:34 AM

I would advice flaxseed gel for that actually. A little fiddly cause it is DIY but I like the hold and cast it creates. You can just scrunch out the crunch after you take out the braids.

Brethil
June 15th, 2020, 07:42 AM
There are a lot of fancy boho-ish braid tutorials on Youtube. Like this one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMbGudD5vkg), this one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxD2831zmFg), this one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vSCukZOigg) or this one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIRZzCm4aBQ). They involve teasing and product and heat and all those things that aren't really good for your hair but totally worth it for one day. They are also gorgeous.

I would also seriously consider getting someone else to do your hair if you pick one of these. They are the kind of thing you really need to see what you are doing.

purple_omelette
June 15th, 2020, 10:12 PM
I think if you put them in when your hair is wet or damp and take them out when dry it will last longer.
Gel of some sort while putting them in or maybe just over the braids before taking them out may help them last longer as well, like aloe or glycerin gel.

I would advice flaxseed gel for that actually. A little fiddly cause it is DIY but I like the hold and cast it creates. You can just scrunch out the crunch after you take out the braids.

Yes, I think I'll try and use some kind of gel and see how that goes. Braiding wet does make some difference, but the curls loosen anyway over a couple of hours, so I'll definitely need to add something for extra hold.

There are a lot of fancy boho-ish braid tutorials on Youtube. Like this one, this one, this one or this one. They involve teasing and product and heat and all those things that aren't really good for your hair but totally worth it for one day. They are also gorgeous.

I would also seriously consider getting someone else to do your hair if you pick one of these. They are the kind of thing you really need to see what you are doing.

Those are beautiful styles! :O I do think I'll need some help with them, I'm in the process of finding a stylist I trust right now (not easy, since I have yet to have a positive haitstyling experience when someone else is styling my hair!)

purple_omelette
August 28th, 2020, 01:19 AM
So I've been gone a few months now (occupied by various projects, worries and errands), and the frustrating truth is that the travel restrictions imposed on all of us by COVID have meant my fiance' and I have had to postpone our wedding by a year :( thank you to everyone who replied to my questions here! On the bright side, getting married at the end of next year means I will almost definitely be beyond classic at that point (which is my hair goal at the moment) :D sorry for the random post, just thought I would let everyone who helped me out know that there will be no wedding hair pics to compensate them for their trouble this year.

shaluwm_agape
August 28th, 2020, 02:11 AM
The brand curl Smith has a gel that is called hair makeup and they have it in a bunch of colors and it's not transferable and washes out within one wash

Begemot
August 28th, 2020, 04:31 AM
Sorry to hear you had to postpone your wedding, purple_omelette! But you're right, having a classic+ length hair for your wedding next year is definitely the silver lining in this situation :) :blossom:

purple_omelette
August 28th, 2020, 04:54 AM
Sorry to hear you had to postpone your wedding, purple_omelette! But you're right, having a classic+ length hair for your wedding next year is definitely the silver lining in this situation :) :blossom:

Thank you 😊

DropStitches
October 25th, 2020, 03:29 PM
I was also gone for a few months, and just thought, ‘I wonder what wedding hair she picked?’, and scrolled back to find the thread. Really sorry to hear about the postponement, purple_omelette - but I’ll look forward to seeing beautiful, Classic+ braids next year! My partner and I separated at the moment by travel restrictions, and one of the things I hold on to is, ‘At least my hair will be substantially longer the next time I see him!’

purple_omelette
October 25th, 2020, 04:20 PM
I was also gone for a few months, and just thought, ‘I wonder what wedding hair she picked?’, and scrolled back to find the thread. Really sorry to hear about the postponement, purple_omelette - but I’ll look forward to seeing beautiful, Classic+ braids next year! My partner and I separated at the moment by travel restrictions, and one of the things I hold on to is, ‘At least my hair will be substantially longer the next time I see him!’

Thank you 😊 I'm sorry you have been separated from your partner during this horrible year! I hope you have been keeping well (I personally have filled all my extra time with learning new hairdos)

fieldsofflowers
November 11th, 2020, 08:48 PM
Hi. Just popping in to say I'm following this for ideas :)

purple_omelette
April 11th, 2021, 08:38 PM
Update on my wedding hair - here's me at a fitting with my hair down.
https://i.ibb.co/kBVPHXY/172371144-4377615828927163-6079297886563876706-n.jpg (https://imgbb.com/)
https://i.ibb.co/LpF44jL/172758910-467614821329963-5453483133078252861-n-LI.jpg (https://ibb.co/Bsp88WX)
https://i.ibb.co/4pwZHBN/172371144-328778511970120-5535317806826764674-n-LI.jpg (https://imgbb.com/)

Any suggestions in light of these images? I'm thinking hair down (probably curles, either rag curls or with a heated curler, haven't decided yet) with maybe a floral/gold/enamel headband? Any other ideas/suggestions?

Edit: regarding the bunching of the dress at the bottom, I was trying it on without shoes! On the day there will definitely be no crumpling (again, because I will be wearing shoes).

Brethil
April 11th, 2021, 09:39 PM
Update on my wedding hair - here's me at a fitting with my hair down.

Any suggestions in light of these images? I'm thinking hair down (probably curles, either rag curls or with a heated curler, haven't decided yet) with maybe a floral/gold/enamel headband? Any other ideas/suggestions?

Edit: regarding the bunching of the dress at the bottom, I was trying it on without shoes! On the day there will definitely be no crumpling (again, because I will be wearing shoes).

Hmm. I'd suggest pulling back just the side bits into a very light half up. Then stick the join full of sparklies or flowers or something. Kinda like this (https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fs3.r29static.com%2Fbin %2Fentry%2Ff39%2F0%2C8%2C2000%2C2000%2Fx%2C80%2F21 37871%2Fimage.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.refinery29.com%2Fen-us%2Fhalf-up-half-down-wedding-hairstyles&tbnid=keqaPPgeAWLzqM&vet=12ahUKEwjxjKX64vfvAhUObqwKHeuHB24QMyhRegUIARCc AQ..i&docid=g4_9UYP4_ZgBvM&w=2000&h=2000&q=half%20up&ved=2ahUKEwjxjKX64vfvAhUObqwKHeuHB24QMyhRegUIARCcA Q), though I'm not wild about her bling. Your hair looks really lovely as it is, just needs a bit of something fancy.

leafygreens18
April 11th, 2021, 09:59 PM
First of all, you look so amazing, that's a beautiful dress! At your length, I think curls would be beautiful. Maybe one of those halos on Etsy? I'm just moved to say I think that would look really gorgeous like these (https://www.etsy.com/listing/731067055/gold-galaxy-halo-crown-gold-halo-crown?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=wedding+halos&ref=sr_gallery-1-42&organic_search_click=1&cns=1), and these (https://www.etsy.com/listing/827541214/sample-sale-aria-pearl-bridal-halo?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=wedding+halos&ref=sr_gallery-2-24&organic_search_click=1&pro=1&frs=1&col=1), and these (https://www.etsy.com/listing/945281014/powder-blue-blossom-halo-silver-hairband?ref=shop_home_active_15&frs=1&sca=1). Kind of a big and dramatic suggestion maybe, but I do think they look really fun.

purple_omelette
April 11th, 2021, 11:28 PM
Hmm. I'd suggest pulling back just the side bits into a very light half up. Then stick the join full of sparklies or flowers or something. Kinda like this, though I'm not wild about her bling. Your hair looks really lovely as it is, just needs a bit of something fancy.

Thank you, that is a lovely look. A half-up is certainly an option I'm looking at :)

First of all, you look so amazing, that's a beautiful dress! At your length, I think curls would be beautiful. Maybe one of those halos on Etsy? I'm just moved to say I think that would look really gorgeous like these (https://www.etsy.com/listing/731067055/gold-galaxy-halo-crown-gold-halo-crown?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=wedding+halos&ref=sr_gallery-1-42&organic_search_click=1&cns=1), and these (https://www.etsy.com/listing/827541214/sample-sale-aria-pearl-bridal-halo?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=wedding+halos&ref=sr_gallery-2-24&organic_search_click=1&pro=1&frs=1&col=1), and these (https://www.etsy.com/listing/945281014/powder-blue-blossom-halo-silver-hairband?ref=shop_home_active_15&frs=1&sca=1). Kind of a big and dramatic suggestion maybe, but I do think they look really fun.

Thank you :) I love those headbands/crowns! I've had my eye on a couple on etsy over the last few months.
https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/741199274/flores-gold-wedding-crown-crystal-bridal?ref=shop_home_active_13&frs=1
https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/788173327/starry-night-star-wedding-crown-crystal?ref=shop_home_active_36&frs=1
https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/502478060/rosebury-crystal-wedding-crown-gold?ref=shop_home_active_55&frs=1
https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/741228484/marina-gold-wedding-crown-floral-bridal?ref=shop_home_active_69&frs=1

They are definitely on the pricy side, but they look so pretty and intricate (and are are also local for me).

shaluwm_agape
April 12th, 2021, 12:07 AM
It looks beautiful! ...Maybe something side swept with waterfall curls

baanoo
April 12th, 2021, 04:27 AM
Ooh those crowns! You look like a goddess in the dress already. I like the idea of heatless curls.

BuddhaBelle
April 12th, 2021, 05:20 AM
Similarly to what others suggested, my sister in law who had about mid-thigh length hair at the time (now mid-calf!) did big curls, with a half up/half up plus a nice crown/headband as you have shared there!

lapushka
April 12th, 2021, 05:25 AM
Oh gosh, I have to say, that is the most gorgeous dress I ever did see! Yeah, that would be the kind of dress I would wear. And your hair looks so pretty.

I would totally go for a half-up, with a couple white flowers in it, or something of that nature!

purple_omelette
April 12th, 2021, 10:31 PM
It looks beautiful! ...Maybe something side swept with waterfall curls

Thank you! :) definitely keen on the curl idea, I'm just wondering whether to go heat or heatless...

Ooh those crowns! You look like a goddess in the dress already. I like the idea of heatless curls.

Aw you're so sweet! I'm just wondering what sort of heatless curls could get me big, bouncy wurls that last all day? :confused:

Similarly to what others suggested, my sister in law who had about mid-thigh length hair at the time (now mid-calf!) did big curls, with a half up/half up plus a nice crown/headband as you have shared there!

That must have looked gorgeous! :O How did she achieve the curls? Do you have pictures?

Oh gosh, I have to say, that is the most gorgeous dress I ever did see! Yeah, that would be the kind of dress I would wear. And your hair looks so pretty.

I would totally go for a half-up, with a couple white flowers in it, or something of that nature!

Thank you! I actually designed the dress myself and then had it made :D it was a very fun experience! Would definitely recommend it for anyone who has the time or is happy to spend a little bit more on the dress (the dress was one of the things I really cared about, so it was one of the more expensive parts of the wedding/process for me).
White flowers would look lovely. A couple of the headbands I have my eye on have beautiful enamel flowers incorporated into them and they look so lovely and delicate...

LittleHealthy
April 12th, 2021, 11:00 PM
https://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o369/loveisdivine_photos/147939F4-F721-45D2-8B53-8C371B7D7965-1277-0000017103219626_zps3883c3eb.jpg (http://s341.photobucket.com/user/loveisdivine_photos/media/147939F4-F721-45D2-8B53-8C371B7D7965-1277-0000017103219626_zps3883c3eb.jpg.html)

https://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o369/loveisdivine_photos/14D91280-3593-4F8E-9162-4790F17F58D2-1277-00000170F5F7EBBF_zpsf5622dd2.jpg (http://s341.photobucket.com/user/loveisdivine_photos/media/14D91280-3593-4F8E-9162-4790F17F58D2-1277-00000170F5F7EBBF_zpsf5622dd2.jpg.html)

Hi there, I strongly suggest you check out/try Schwartzkopf LIVE temporary colour in 'Aztec'. I've used it for fun in the past. It's vibrant and beautiful, and only lasts up to 8 washes (only really lasted 2 washes for me). It's cheap and low risk, you can try it before the big day and then it doesn't matter if for some reason you don't like it! It's the same kind of dye as those made by Manic Panic or Arctic Fox etc. Just a little pouch of orange conditioner, basically!

purple_omelette
April 14th, 2021, 11:59 PM
Hi there, I strongly suggest you check out/try Schwartzkopf LIVE temporary colour in 'Aztec'. I've used it for fun in the past. It's vibrant and beautiful, and only lasts up to 8 washes (only really lasted 2 washes for me). It's cheap and low risk, you can try it before the big day and then it doesn't matter if for some reason you don't like it! It's the same kind of dye as those made by Manic Panic or Arctic Fox etc. Just a little pouch of orange conditioner, basically!

Thank you :) I don't want to change colour, though, I'm more looking for styling inspiration!

Finda
April 15th, 2021, 02:54 AM
purple_omelette Wow, that's such a beautiful dress! I love the first picture, it looks like a cascade with your flowing hair. Also your hair and the shape of your dress are very harmonious. If I had to chose I'd also go for a halfup. A friend of mine with long hair had hers in an updo that left a ponytail flowing free and after the ceremony the hairdresser pinned it up, so it wasn't in the way constantly. No matter how you decide, I'm sure it will look epic :)

purple_omelette
April 15th, 2021, 06:47 AM
purple_omelette Wow, that's such a beautiful dress! I love the first picture, it looks like a cascade with your flowing hair. Also your hair and the shape of your dress are very harmonious. If I had to chose I'd also go for a halfup. A friend of mine with long hair had hers in an updo that left a ponytail flowing free and after the ceremony the hairdresser pinned it up, so it wasn't in the way constantly. No matter how you decide, I'm sure it will look epic :)

Thank you! I'm very happy with it, and getting to design it was so much fun! I think the half-up idea is tied with the crown/decorative headband idea at the moment. I'm still not sure which of the two I'll choose, but I definitely want something that's flowy, with a decorative headpiece.

Finda
April 16th, 2021, 06:30 AM
Thank you! I'm very happy with it, and getting to design it was so much fun! I think the half-up idea is tied with the crown/decorative headband idea at the moment. I'm still not sure which of the two I'll choose, but I definitely want something that's flowy, with a decorative headpiece.

Oh wow, you designed your own dress? That must be awesome! Both ideas sound great :)

purple_omelette
April 16th, 2021, 06:53 AM
Oh wow, you designed your own dress? That must be awesome! Both ideas sound great :)

Yes I did! :D It was a wonderful experience, working with a seamstress to make the dress exactly how I wanted it. It's definitely a bit more expensive then buying a ready-made dress, but for me, the whole dress experience was really important, especially since I did much of the wedding planning in isolation, without any of my friends and family around. Being able to design the dress made being isolated a bit more fun :)

Finda
April 16th, 2021, 07:05 AM
That sounds super interesting! How did you express your vision? Did you draw, show pictures or just explain your ideas?
I wish you good luck with the further planning and the actual wedding in such uncertain times, that must be incredibly hard!

purple_omelette
April 19th, 2021, 01:39 AM
That sounds super interesting! How did you express your vision? Did you draw, show pictures or just explain your ideas?
I wish you good luck with the further planning and the actual wedding in such uncertain times, that must be incredibly hard!

I found a wedding dressmaker online (searched 'bridal couture') and essentially went through the whole process step by step.
Prior to this, I had already tried on around half a dozen dresses in a store, so I knew roughly what silhouettes I liked and which ones I didn't, and how much or little embellishment I wanted (this helps when you're starting from scratch, otherwise you literally have infinite options).

So in the first session I picked a silhouette, length of train, and the fabric. Then, I started meeting with the dressmaker!
Most people don't do a sketch, but I like to draw so I brought one along to help me show my dressmaker what I wanted. Plus I had collected photos of dresses I liked, and used them as a guide.
After that, she made a mock-up (a 'draft' dress if you will) on me with some cheap material. When we were happy with that and after my material arrived, we moved on to the real dress, and that took 3 fittings/consultations to put together.

I have one final fitting before the wedding to make sure it fits just right, but other than that, the process is finished!

Since I couldn't have a "the dress" moment with my mum and sisters and friends (you know, where everyone cries and hugs each other, like on reality TV), I made the whole thing a creative project instead :) it ended up being one of the best parts of the wedding planning!

purple_omelette
May 29th, 2021, 10:54 PM
Reviving this converssation! :)

So since I have discovered that my underlayer of hair is sadly affected by hair loss, a half-up style is off. Instead, I got inspired by the beautiful blog https://haselnussblond.de/ which belongs to a lady who has also suffered hair loss through the years. I saw her wedding style and fell in love: it's based off Galadriel's hair and would mean that I'd have all my hair down (which masks the hair loss somewhat) and also includes a beautiful, delicate headpiece (still searching for the perfect one, so any suggestions are most welcome!).

On a related note, my partner is now growing his hair out (yayy!) and should be at SL by the end of the year. Which of course means he will be wearing some badass viking braids on the big day ;D