PDA

View Full Version : Season-related dryness,please share your summer routines

LadyCelestina
May 26th, 2013, 05:15 AM
Does anybody else experience dry and rough hair now that summer is coming?:rolleyes:

I don't mind my hair looking frizzy,but since I'm currently challenging myself to wear my hair up until I can/until my dye is at least somewhat grown out,it's important to keep my hair moisturized so that it doesn't break when manipulated.

I tried clarifying and deep treatments,but it only seems to work for wash day and I think I might have to adjust my routine somehow.
Please tell me about your simple summer routines :)

jacqueline101
May 26th, 2013, 05:53 AM
Mine is starting to do that. I did a s&d that helped a lot and I need to use my Aussie 3 minute miracle deep conditioner. I'd try adding an oil to your care routine. I also use tressemee shine spray it's a cone product. It does seem a little oily too.

LadyCelestina
May 26th, 2013, 06:51 AM
Mine is starting to do that. I did a s&d that helped a lot and I need to use my Aussie 3 minute miracle deep conditioner. I'd try adding an oil to your care routine. I also use tressemee shine spray it's a cone product. It does seem a little oily too.

I microtrimmmed my ends a week ago...I oil my hair after washing and sometimes even between washes,when I remember to do so.Maybe I should really try daily oiling.

irisheyes
May 26th, 2013, 08:21 AM
My hair seems dry and rough in hot,humid weather because my hair is porous. My hair soaks up the moisture from the air, causing the hair shaft to swell. I avoid moisturizing shampoo and conditioner in humid weather because I don't need any more moisture attracted to my hair. I use diluted shampoo because I think full strength shampoo raises my hair cuticle too much, letting in even more water. Anything that closes the hair cuticle helps me. I like a shampoo for colored hair because it has a lower ph than regular shampoo. The lower ph keeps that cuticle closed.

Sharysa
May 26th, 2013, 02:30 PM
In summer, I oil my hair when completely wet instead of damp like in fall/winter (winters are rainy in the San Francisco Bay Area), and I make sure to wash during the evening instead of the day to make sure the heat doesn't make it frizz while it dries.

Then I just damp-braid it like usual.

vindo
May 26th, 2013, 05:28 PM
I don't experience seasonal dryness, but I would also think that using oil as a leave in, maybe while your hair is bunned or braided on a hot day, can make up for the loss of moisture.

LadyCelestina
June 3rd, 2013, 07:22 AM
Update: I think dampening hair daily and adding a very tiny drop of oil is going to solve my problem.Oddly enough,because in the winter,I can't dampen my hair between washes, it dries it out.

I guess this dryness had something to do with the humid weather we have had here for the past month and something.

Suze2012
June 8th, 2013, 01:38 AM
I now change my routine summer and winter...or daily even depending on the weather over here in the UK!
It can be hot and humid one day and really cold the next.

I co wash but avoid conditioners with humectants as much as possible in warmer temperatures.
I cooler temps my hair loves humectants.
I have two different types of conditioner for co washing - one for hot days and one for cold days.

The humectants make my hair soak up moisture from the air so if it's humid my hair will bloat up and appear to look dry but is actually just full of moisture.

I also use less leave in conditioner in summer.

meteor
June 8th, 2013, 11:12 AM
I use less leave-in, too. I wash more frequently when I sweat. I also wash out conditioner much more thoroughly. I am using lighter conditioners, but I should probably just find new products to help with my detangling issues.
I still use oils for scalp and hair. Humectants are hit or miss in both summer and winter for me.

HintOfMint
June 8th, 2013, 02:45 PM
I actually love summers, humidity and sweat be damned, haha. I actually get less greasy in warm weather, and I don't sweat that much from my scalp. Winters are terrible for me, I get greasy within a day and of course my ends get trashed from indoor heating, frigid outdoors, and the general dryness that abounds. The more frequent washing doesn't help. Washing every other day vs. every two days doesn't sound like a big difference in keeping hair quality but it is.

All in all, I can actually use humectants in spring and summer until it starts to get super muggy in August. Then I just have to pull it all back and let my halo (frizz) glow!