PDA

View Full Version : Going from less frequent to MORE frequent washing - could it help hair?

pele
May 24th, 2013, 11:20 PM
Hi,

I used to wash my hair every single day. Over the past 4 years I've managed to get my hair to the point where I only wash it twice a week. However, I was looking through a bunch of pictures and it seems exactly 4 years ago my hair looked amazing compared to now and the past few years.

Is it possible that more frequent washing is actually good for my hair? Maybe it stimulates my scalp or something and causes my hair to be more fluffy and thick? Could this even be possible or has anyone made this correlation?

Any thoughts are welcome :-)

ravenreed
May 24th, 2013, 11:26 PM
I CO every other day. If I go longer my scalp area looks greasy and my ends get really, really dry. Try it and see if it works better for you.

LadyKate
May 24th, 2013, 11:28 PM
Maybe try washing every other day? Some people's hair really does need more frequent washing, there's not one right answer. You could always try washing a little more frequently and see how it feels.

spirals
May 25th, 2013, 12:31 AM
I tend to wash every other day for my scalp. It also helps the moisture level of my lengths. The further I get from a wash, the more moisture it loses. I guess that's a curly thing.

ladyfey
May 25th, 2013, 04:49 AM
Mine likes the more frequent washings, wish it didn't! :)

hafattack
May 25th, 2013, 05:46 AM
Hey Pele, good question.. this past year I was able to stretch me washes to doing no poo twice a week. What I noticed was my hair was limp, stringy and damaged as ever. In the past several weeks I have been washing every other day with Johnson's baby shampoo and no cones. I love my hair now! It has body, it smells good, and it feels clean! Remember, your mileage may vary.. find out what is best for you.

jacqueline101
May 25th, 2013, 06:15 AM
Everything is a trial and error. You have to try and see what works for you.

Kaelee
May 25th, 2013, 08:00 AM
I CO wash every day (I used to shampoo wash every single day) and have done so for years. I get REALLY dirty at work, that's why. I wouldn't want to NOT wash it every day, that's for sure.

pele
May 25th, 2013, 02:10 PM
I know it's pretty much trial and error, but I guess because so many people (on here and everywhere) are quite vocal about making the claim that less frequent washing is "better" for your hair, I was wondering if there was any evidence or claim that MORE frequent washing stimulates your scalp and enhances growth and quality of hair.

meteor
May 25th, 2013, 02:37 PM
See what works best for your hair. People here range from washing every day to NW/SO. It depends on so many things that it's impossible to give a definitive answer.

I know it's pretty much trial and error, but I guess because so many people (on here and everywhere) are quite vocal about making the claim that less frequent washing is "better" for your hair, I was wondering if there was any evidence or claim that MORE frequent washing stimulates your scalp and enhances growth and quality of hair.
I think it depends on what you wash your hair with. You can stimulate your scalp with something like a rosemary / peppermint rinse, onion juice, aloe vera juice, ACV rinse, etc. They don't qualify as shampoos, but they can stimulate your scalp, and you can certainly "wash" your hair with some rinses or even with just water, and massaging your scalp while washing is somewhat stimulating growth, too.

Carolyn
May 25th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Some peoples hair and scalp will benefit from more frequent washing. Cutting back on the number of times you wash per week does NOT benefit everyone. I've said time and time again that stretching washes is not all that it's cracked up to be. It sounds like you have found that to be true for you. I have piecey roots and dry ends if I don't wash every other day. I want my hair to look nice and feel nice. I don't feel like I have to adhere to "LHC wisdom" and have yucky hair. Do what works for you and don't worry about it.

kidari
May 25th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Some peoples hair and scalp will benefit from more frequent washing. Cutting back on the number of times you wash per week does NOT benefit everyone. I've said time and time again that stretching washes is not all that it's cracked up to be. It sounds like you have found that to be true for you. I have piecey roots and dry ends if I don't wash every other day. I want my hair to look nice and feel nice. I don't feel like I have to adhere to "LHC wisdom" and have yucky hair. Do what works for you and don't worry about it.

I can't agree more. Just because it might work for most people doesn't mean it will work for you. It doesn't make sense to keep doing it and your hair is suffering for it.

alexis917
May 25th, 2013, 10:00 PM
I know I'm in the minority hair, but I usually wash daily.
I like feeling clean, I get breakouts more often with dirty hair, and my scalp gets itchy...

*ETA: in the minority HERE.

sycamoreboutiqu
May 25th, 2013, 11:16 PM
Oh for sure, whatever makes you, and your hair feel the best is what is EXACTLY right for you!

I would agree that probably any routine that involved more frequent massaging of the scalp would probably be more
beneficial in the long run, whatever that method might be.

I am so glad I learned about stretching washes, CO'ing and Oiling from the LHC. All of these things have worked for me and I feel
have also enabled me to grow longer than I ever would have without using them. I used to really hate my hair sometimes at mid-back
length, but now LOVE it at Classic length. This is definitely a tribute to making use of some of the techniques I learned here.

Sometimes the scalp issues flare up and demand more frequent washing and occasionally some sulfate shampoo. Other times I can go
for nearly 8 days with no issues. It varies with the weather and any number of things, but it never stays constant so I just don't worry about it.
Being fluid in your routine seems to be the key.
Do what you need to when you need to - when you need to do it - then maybe go back to the previous method.

There is no perfect routine that you stick to forever - and it is all good :)

ravenreed
May 25th, 2013, 11:45 PM
I also think that what works at one length may not at another... sometimes I have to revisit my routine and tweak it a bit. I do notice now that I am at fingertip, my hair really is a lot more fragile than it ever has been previously. However, it is also in better condition than ever, so I must be doing something right for my hair.

Oh for sure, whatever makes you, and your hair feel the best is what is EXACTLY right for you!

I would agree that probably any routine that involved more frequent massaging of the scalp would probably be more
beneficial in the long run, whatever that method might be.

I am so glad I learned about stretching washes, CO'ing and Oiling from the LHC. All of these things have worked for me and I feel
have also enabled me to grow longer than I ever would have without using them. I used to really hate my hair sometimes at mid-back
length, but now LOVE it at Classic length. This is definitely a tribute to making use of some of the techniques I learned here.

Sometimes the scalp issues flare up and demand more frequent washing and occasionally some sulfate shampoo. Other times I can go
for nearly 8 days with no issues. It varies with the weather and any number of things, but it never stays constant so I just don't worry about it.
Being fluid in your routine seems to be the key.
Do what you need to when you need to - when you need to do it - then maybe go back to the previous method.

There is no perfect routine that you stick to forever - and it is all good :)

Hotrox
May 26th, 2013, 02:27 AM
I wash at least every other day, I figure that I clean all the other skin on my body daily so why not the scalp every other day.

I tried stretching and CO'ing but it's just not for me.

The skin on my face benefits from a gentle cleanse and moisturise every day, I think my hair does too.

LadyCelestina
May 26th, 2013, 04:51 AM
Do that what keeps your length and scalp in balance and happy.