PDA

View Full Version : What should you do if you forget to pay a tip at a salon? (first visit)

icallitbliss
May 22nd, 2013, 09:42 PM
I went to a salon my friends recommended me to today. I made an appointment specifically with the salon owner, and she said they charge $35 for a cut. I just had a very simple trim today, so she only charged me $10 because it only took her like two minutes total. I was in a rush because someone was waiting for me to get home, and I completely FORGOT to tip her, and I feel awful about it; I don't want to come across as rude. I'm usually a very generous tipper. It was my first time visiting, so I hope I don't receive bad service in the future.

The next time I visit, should I just tip double?

I did read that supposedly in some states and "Dear Abby" says that you shouldn't tip the salon owner. Then some websites say that you should. I normally would have anyway, but was just wondering what everyone else thinks.

Carolyn
May 22nd, 2013, 09:55 PM
I don't know where the "don't tip the owner" thing came from. I'm sure there is a reason for it. I always tip the owner at my nail salon. I don't think I've ever had a hair service done by a salon owner but I would have tipped her. I think you should go back to the salon as soon as you can and leave her a tip. Put it in an envelope with her name on it and include a small note of apology.

akilina
May 22nd, 2013, 10:12 PM
I would go back and tip tomorrow!!Especially if you were really happy. It would probably make her day and it would be ridiculously sweet of you :o Its more so the effort like *wow im sorry* and that you haven't forgotten. I personally would be inclined to tip more just for her cutting me such a good deal. I'd probably run it by just so I wouldnt feel like I had to tip double the next time. Im big on tipping though for people who provide a service to you. Its sort of frustrating when you don't get tipped after doing a 4 hours color process on someone (happened to me today AND yesterday). I do understand that some simply can't afford it though. I know I am getting off track, but relative to tipping in general.

I have NO CLUE where this dont tip the owner $*** comes from because the owner has just as many, if not more, expenses than anyone else. I know that the owner of my shop goes above and beyond and does so many things for so many people (myself and the other lady who works there included). Im sure us paying our booth rentals covers alot of things, but I know she pays her more than fair share to keep it running. It goes far beyond that too, things some wouldn't even think of.
She even pays for everything having to do with the coffee maker (sugar, creamer (at least 3 a week) and buys huge batches of coffee because its a kureig) Toilet paper constantly..paper towel rolls at least once a week, all cleaning supplies, shampoo back bar, the list goes on... Idk why Im elaborating lol...I wonder where this tip thing came from though??

WilfredAllen
May 22nd, 2013, 10:15 PM
I would go back to tip her :)

Suze2012
May 22nd, 2013, 10:45 PM
I always check that my tip goes to the person I want it to go to.
I have been back the next day to tip once or twice.:0)

icallitbliss
May 22nd, 2013, 10:51 PM
Okay thanks for the replies. I was kinda thinking at first that I might be too embarrassed to go back tomorrow, but I'm sure she'd appreciate it more than if I didn't, you know? I was just afraid she might think it's weird to go back, cause I had no clue how many people do that. :)

joflakes
May 23rd, 2013, 12:33 AM
If it is the norm to tip, I'd probably go back. Here in the UK, I've never heard of tipping a hairdresser before!

Rosetta
May 23rd, 2013, 01:47 AM
Here in the UK, I've never heard of tipping a hairdresser before!
The same here ;) In fact the whole tipping culture is so alien to me, that it's really hard to get my head round it...
(And unhappily I know it may appear rude in some countries if you don't do it... ;))

kaydana
May 23rd, 2013, 02:01 AM
If it is the norm to tip, I'd probably go back. Here in the UK, I've never heard of tipping a hairdresser before!

I have, but only discretely. The salon I used to go to had tins for each of the hairdressers that you could leave a tip in if you wanted.

Kherome
May 23rd, 2013, 04:44 AM
Okay thanks for the replies. I was kinda thinking at first that I might be too embarrassed to go back tomorrow, but I'm sure she'd appreciate it more than if I didn't, you know? I was just afraid she might think it's weird to go back, cause I had no clue how many people do that. :)

I've gone back later the same day, the next day, or even a couple of days later and just said "Hey, sorry about that, I forgot/was in a hurry/didn't have cash on me" etc and tipped. They've always been pleased, no one has said it was weird.

In the US many hairdressers are barely paid. Perhaps it's changed in the last few years, but when I was cutting hair you were paid $2.33 an hour and your wage (and ability to buy food) depended on happy tipping customers.

The same here ;) In fact the whole tipping culture is so alien to me, that it's really hard to get my head round it...
(And unhappily I know it may appear rude in some countries if you don't do it... ;))

In the US there are definitely places that would be very displeased if you didn't. Sometimes it's nice, other times it's annoying. Sometimes needing the tips makes service better. Other times, people get the mentality that they "deserve" the tip regardless of the level of service they provide.

Bagginslover
May 23rd, 2013, 04:58 AM
I don't tip as a rule, as they should be charging a rate they are happy with and can live on, expecting a tip tip make that up is wrong in my opinion (but than I come from a country with a semi-decent minimum wage, and no tipping culture)

selenechiba
May 23rd, 2013, 06:55 AM
I don't tip as a rule, as they should be charging a rate they are happy with and can live on, expecting a tip tip make that up is wrong in my opinion (but than I come from a country with a semi-decent minimum wage, and no tipping culture) Anywhere, ever? Or are you just talking about the hairdresser? I don't get this type of thinking. Not everyone has the opportunity to work wherever they want and charge whatever they want. I understand that someone may come from another culture where tipping isn't done, but if you visit a place where you know it's common, to not modify your actions and tip... I would consider that really rude. :nono:

I would definitely go back and tip. I'm a server and that's happened to me quite a few times - it's always appreciated.

Agnieszka
May 23rd, 2013, 07:45 AM
So the salon charges me £70 for my haircut, salon owner pays his hairdresser half of minimum wage and expect me to pay their employees wages??? No, I won't be supporting that. Employer should pay his staff enough.

Kherome
May 23rd, 2013, 07:53 AM
Sometimes the employer DOES pay the staff enough. BUT, what is wrong with saying to someone "You did excellent work here today, and I'd just like to give you a little something extra to reward that."

knhess
May 23rd, 2013, 08:06 AM
My Grandmother always refused to tip the owner. But then my Grandfather would secretly tip for her. The idea must have originated from somewhere!

lapushka
May 23rd, 2013, 08:23 AM

The whole tipping culture is alien to me as well. In this country (Belgium), you never have to tip because it's included in the service. Sometimes you find signs in restaurants that say exactly that. It goes for bars, restaurants, hairdressers, ... the list goes on.

oktobergoud
May 23rd, 2013, 08:30 AM

Same here in the Netherlands! I keep hearing about it on this board and I find it the weirdest thing ever o_O

Kaelee
May 23rd, 2013, 09:51 AM
Sometimes the employer DOES pay the staff enough. BUT, what is wrong with saying to someone "You did excellent work here today, and I'd just like to give you a little something extra to reward that."

I've read though, that in most restaurants at least, all tips are put into a pool and divided up among all of the waitstaff and even the dishwasher/busboy! Which is something I don't agree with. A) employers should pay enough that this isn't necessary and B) if I leave someone a good tip, it's because I got good service from them. I want THEM to get the money. I'm miffed that "world's worst waitress" at the next table is getting a portion of the money.

I don't know if that's true of all restaurants though. I've read that it is, but prior to that I was under the impression that it was only certain establishments. As a customer, I'm ticked off if it's true.

selenechiba
May 23rd, 2013, 10:04 AM
I've worked at the same restaurant for 7 years, it's a chain, and we've NEVER pooled our money. In fact, I've yet to meet someone who works someplace which requires them to. If it's busy enough during the week where we need a food runner or busboys, then we tip them out of our own pockets. We do this because they help us give better service and thus increase what we're able to make in tips. (You'd be surprised how many people sit at a dirty table and get mad when you can't get over there fast enough to clean it...)

goldloli
May 23rd, 2013, 10:17 AM
So the salon charges me £70 for my haircut, salon owner pays his hairdresser half of minimum wage and expect me to pay their employees wages??? No, I won't be supporting that. Employer should pay his staff enough.
this!

I've seen on hairboards, girls asking how much they should tip for $150 process and I'm like lol wut?!? then girls say 30 dollars or something, which is probably 10-15 per hour, less if just a cut, meaning you're paying them a full wage on top of a wage. That makes no sense to me, where is the money you're paying for the cut going? If most of it is going to the owner and not the staff then the owner should most def not get a tip at those prices.

On my trips to america I was miffed to see that even bad servers get small tips, it's very rude to leave nothing even if you were unhappy with service. That's something I'm going to have to get used to because it seems so wrong to me being from the UK.

neko_kawaii
May 23rd, 2013, 10:19 AM
I've read though, that in most restaurants at least, all tips are put into a pool and divided up among all of the waitstaff and even the dishwasher/busboy! Which is something I don't agree with. A) employers should pay enough that this isn't necessary and B) if I leave someone a good tip, it's because I got good service from them. I want THEM to get the money. I'm miffed that "world's worst waitress" at the next table is getting a portion of the money.

I don't know if that's true of all restaurants though. I've read that it is, but prior to that I was under the impression that it was only certain establishments. As a customer, I'm ticked off if it's true.

It certainly isn't all restaurants. Servers do tip the busers though. The bus boy where I worked was a young kid from a poor family and I made sure I tipped him $10 or 10%. He worked just as hard as I did, for much less money.

Kaelee
May 23rd, 2013, 10:25 AM
It certainly isn't all restaurants. Servers do tip the busers though. The bus boy where I worked was a young kid from a poor family and I made sure I tipped him $10 or 10%. He worked just as hard as I did, for much less money.

If the server is doing the tipping I don't have any issue with that- after all, after I give it, it's THEIR money to do with as they please, and I certainly like to see it shared. Just so long as it isn't "forced sharing" by the employer.

In2wishin
May 23rd, 2013, 10:32 AM
I don't know where the "don't tip the owner" thing came from. I'm sure there is a reason for it. I always tip the owner at my nail salon. I don't think I've ever had a hair service done by a salon owner but I would have tipped her. I think you should go back to the salon as soon as you can and leave her a tip. Put it in an envelope with her name on it and include a small note of apology.

This ^ ^ ^

The "don't tip the owner" comes from US labor laws (no, it is not against the law to tip an owner). It is against the law for salaried employees to share in the tips of tipped employees and this extends to the owners of a business like a restaurant or salon who, while not technically salaried, are placed in that category. This has morphed into "don't tip the owner". Apparently, years ago, the idea was floated around that you should tip the owner IN ADDITION to the hairdresser. If the owner is the one providing the service, I tip. If someone else provides the service, I tip them but I don't tip others in the business.

Vrindi
May 23rd, 2013, 11:14 AM
It's perfectly fine to go back and tip her. I've done it many times. Even at restaurants when I've flaked out and somehow forgotten.

chen bao jun
May 23rd, 2013, 12:03 PM
I always tripped my hairdressers generously when I went, even though, as I have written before, I have always had trouble with hairdressers (as a curly with very thick hair). Had a conversation with a friend though recently that said that this is not enough! She was all stressed out about having missed her hairdresser's birthday! They are not personal friends. This seemed ridiculous to me, to have to send a birthday card but she said that if she didn't apologize, she would be made to be sorry. She also told me that she thought that the problems I have had with hairdressers stem from me having felt that they were people providing a service rather than, I don't know what--Artistes? She said that 'good' hairdressers can't be treated like employees in the black American community (which is what we were talking about) and that I should have been showing much more respect and gratitude (as in, sending birthday cards).
I talked to my mother and she said my friend was right and that one needs to kowtow to the hairdresser a lot. Just simply being polite and giving a tip is not enough.
This still sounds very strange to me. I did end up with a Korean hairdresser, although I am black, and we did a lot better together. In fact, I only left her because I decided to wear natural hair and she wanted to keep blowdrying and flat-ironing me (which she was very good at, but I'm tired of that).
Is this any kind of normal thing? I have to say, if most hairdressers consider themselves to be 'artistes' this would explain a lot of the problems I have had with them. We would always fight because they wanted to give my hair a 'style' and I just wanted to have it trimmed and run. I hate fashionable hairstyles. Sometimes they gave me one even though I said I did not want one, infuriating me. they would say things like "I can't let you leave my salon like THAT, and have you go around telling people that you came here" when I said I just wanted to be trimmed and gone.What do you guys think? I'm not bashing hairdressers here, I'm just asking a question.

kaydana
May 23rd, 2013, 12:04 PM
Anywhere, ever? Or are you just talking about the hairdresser? I don't get this type of thinking. Not everyone has the opportunity to work wherever they want and charge whatever they want. I understand that someone may come from another culture where tipping isn't done, but if you visit a place where you know it's common, to not modify your actions and tip... I would consider that really rude. :nono:

I would definitely go back and tip. I'm a server and that's happened to me quite a few times - it's always appreciated.

If you "don't get this type of thinking" then you probably don't understand the difference between your culture and one where tipping isn't expected.

What she said is no different to someone from the US saying they always tip 20%. There are countries where that would be considered rude, just as there are countries where not tipping is considered rude and countries where people don't really care either way.

jacqueline101
May 23rd, 2013, 12:11 PM
Id give her a tip if no money is aloud I'd buy her a bouquet of flowers something of appreciation.

jeanniet
May 23rd, 2013, 12:35 PM

But some of that good service is because there are people in the kitchen busting their butts so the wait staff has everything they need. My son is a dishwasher, and he gets some tips shared with him, but not a whole lot. If he doesn't do his job, though, the wait staff is stuck--and he often does little things to help them out. It's a rare time when anyone goes back to help him, even if they don't have anything else to do. If they do share tips, it's not necessarily all that much.

xoxophelia
May 23rd, 2013, 12:43 PM
But some of that good service is because there are people in the kitchen busting their butts so the wait staff has everything they need. My son is a dishwasher, and he gets some tips shared with him, but not a whole lot. If he doesn't do his job, though, the wait staff is stuck--and he often does little things to help them out. It's a rare time when anyone goes back to help him, even if they don't have anything else to do. If they do share tips, it's not necessarily all that much.

But isn't he getting paid minimum wage or higher? I think that is the difference. Although, I do agree with both sides of this tipping argument in some respects. Business owners should be required to pay their workers a decent wage. And frankly, I don't think the minimum wage in the US (just about $7/hr) cuts it. I work in the wedding industry on the catering end of things and can tell you most of the servers only make minimum wage with no tips. How does a business get off charging huge wedding fees and then paying the people who do most of the actual work so little?

On the other hand, considering that this system is in place, it is irresponsible to go out to eat or use some service where you know the workers rely on tips and to not tip. If you have an issue with the business model, your best option is to avoid going there all together. Hopefully workers rights will start to be more respected in the US but I don't see it happening any time soon. At my job for example there is no such thing as breaks other than maybe 10 minutes and I work 10 hours at a time :S... I'm hoping to go to graduate school soon though so hopefully I won't be doing such hard manual labor for long.

selenechiba
May 23rd, 2013, 12:48 PM
If you "don't get this type of thinking" then you probably don't understand the difference between your culture and one where tipping isn't expected.

What she said is no different to someone from the US saying they always tip 20%. There are countries where that would be considered rude, just as there are countries where not tipping is considered rude and countries where people don't really care either way.

It's not a difficult concept to understand. Maybe I didn't make clear that I was responding to the "I don't tip as a rule" and connecting it to how I don't understand people who refuse to tip in a culture where it's expected simply because they've lived in one where it's not. If I visited a place where tipping wasn't expected, would I then tip? No. I adjust what I can when visiting other countries.

alexis917
May 23rd, 2013, 12:52 PM
I have no idea about the labor debate, I'm fifteen and I'm getting a summer job later, but that's it....
That said, next time you go, I'd just tip and apologize for forgetting last time.

kaydana
May 23rd, 2013, 01:26 PM
It's not a difficult concept to understand. Maybe I didn't make clear that I was responding to the "I don't tip as a rule" and connecting it to how I don't understand people who refuse to tip in a culture where it's expected simply because they've lived in one where it's not. I've seen it happen many times, just based off of the other person's perception that it shouldn't be needed or necessary. I find it rude. If I visited a place where tipping wasn't expected, would I then tip? No. I adjust what I can when visiting other countries.

You did make it clear what you were responding to. It sounded like you jumped straight to the conclusion that she would behave the same way in every other country.

selenechiba
May 23rd, 2013, 01:42 PM
I saw her "as a rule" phrase to mean she doesn't make exceptions. Her post didn't seem very country-specific to me. Does she/has she/will she live in or visit another country where tipping is expected? I don't know. It seemed like she used a blanket statement, and thinking about how often that's happened to me in my line of work, I said something about it.

selenechiba
May 23rd, 2013, 02:08 PM
Looking back on my posts, I can see where you're getting your impressions. I'm using the general you in my original post, not saying that she does those things.

Tabitha
May 23rd, 2013, 03:30 PM

That may be your impression but I'm in the UK and if you want to build a relationship with one stylist and have them go the extra mile for you, a tip is a good idea. 10% is considered a decent amount. I remember my first grown up haircut at the salon where my mum went regularly, I was about 14 so this was almost 40 years ago, and my mum gave me the money to pay for it and gave me the tip separately. It's also nice to tip the junior who shampoos you, especially if they give a gentle headmassage rather than a painful scalp knuckling - because they're probably paid peanuts and have to do all the grotty jobs. Just a couple of quid but if all their customers did so, they'd have a nice bit extra at the end of the day.

cathair
May 23rd, 2013, 06:30 PM
I tipped the hair dresser last time I went which was ages ago. I was really pleased she only took an inch off my hair. But it was awkward. She wasn't expecting it and I didn't know if I had given her enough to not be insulting. I don't think it is the norm to do it here. Tipping is more common in pubs and restaurants I think.

jeanniet
May 23rd, 2013, 08:22 PM
But isn't he getting paid minimum wage or higher? I think that is the difference. Although, I do agree with both sides of this tipping argument in some respects. Business owners should be required to pay their workers a decent wage. And frankly, I don't think the minimum wage in the US (just about $7/hr) cuts it. I work in the wedding industry on the catering end of things and can tell you most of the servers only make minimum wage with no tips. How does a business get off charging huge wedding fees and then paying the people who do most of the actual work so little?

On the other hand, considering that this system is in place, it is irresponsible to go out to eat or use some service where you know the workers rely on tips and to not tip. If you have an issue with the business model, your best option is to avoid going there all together. Hopefully workers rights will start to be more respected in the US but I don't see it happening any time soon. At my job for example there is no such thing as breaks other than maybe 10 minutes and I work 10 hours at a time :S... I'm hoping to go to graduate school soon though so hopefully I won't be doing such hard manual labor for long.

He does get minimum wage, but so does the wait staff (it's the law here), and they don't work harder than he does--and you could argue he should be paid more, because his work is dirtier and smellier (and busier, most of the time). He's always there later than wait staff, too. My real point is that the service you get in a restaurant isn't solely due to the wait staff, so sharing tips does make sense, if you think about it that way.

I hate the "businesses should pay a decent wage, so I'm not going to tip" argument. Totally agree with you there. It's just a way to justify cheaping out.

MandyBeth
May 23rd, 2013, 08:49 PM
Tipping the next day is fine. Everyone understands that people are busy. The fact you take the time to go back is favorable.

As for how much - service dependent. My daughter just had a $90 appointment with the owner. He got over a 50% tip because he doesn't charge extra for how long her hair is, and I know her appointment took longer than normal. Plus, I think her hair is adorable, and she could not be happier.

GRU
May 23rd, 2013, 08:53 PM
The concept of not tipping the owner is because the owner is getting the full amount of the hair-cutting charge/fee, whereas a stylist who is just an employee is only getting a portion of the total fee.

For example, if the haircut costs $50, the stylist might get $15 and the salon owner gets $35, with maybe $20 of that going towards expenses (rent, utilities, shampoo, payroll taxes) and $15 going to the owner as profit. So a tip to the stylist would bring their income up to $20/cut.

But if the owner does the cut, the salon owner doesn't have to pay out that first $15... so if $20 goes towards expenses, then the owner gets $30 as profit. Adding on another $5 tip is considered unnecessary, as the owner has already received more money in their pocket as profit than an employee stylist would.

But then that gets all the more confusing if you're in a "chair rental" establishment. In that situation, each stylist pays rent to the salon owner for their chair and their portion of the expenses, and then they get the full amount of each haircut paid to them directly. They are each "owners" in that regard.

Carolyn
May 23rd, 2013, 09:13 PM
Thank you for the explanation, GRU. That makes sense. I had just never thought of it in those terms.

Kaelee
May 23rd, 2013, 09:36 PM
He does get minimum wage, but so does the wait staff (it's the law here), and they don't work harder than he does--and you could argue he should be paid more, because his work is dirtier and smellier (and busier, most of the time). He's always there later than wait staff, too. My real point is that the service you get in a restaurant isn't solely due to the wait staff, so sharing tips does make sense, if you think about it that way.

I hate the "businesses should pay a decent wage, so I'm not going to tip" argument. Totally agree with you there. It's just a way to justify cheaping out.

I think my earlier post might have been misunderstood, I don't have a problem AT ALL with sharing tips, what I have a problem with is when the establishment is run so that everyone HAS TO put their tips into a pool and EVERYONE gets an equal share. If someone gives me excellent service and I give them a better tip, I want it to go to them...if they then CHOOSE to share it, that's their business.

akilina
May 23rd, 2013, 10:43 PM
Thank you for the explanation, GRU. That makes sense. I had just never thought of it in those terms.

I never thought of it like that either strangely enough. I will never do commission, I have decided...so I guess I dont pay attention to anything having to do with it. I pay booth rental. I only have to pay 225 for the month and that is all. My owner supplies shampoo back bar and towels (that we all share washing) and we supply every single thing ourselves. We all share though if we need to no problem and its complete opposite of hostile environment in every single way.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I would never not tip someone giving me a service (nails, hair, body care, etc ) Sometimes I can't afford to really tip when I get food, especially when its not a restaurant where I am sitting down and actually receiving service. The only event I would not tip in a sit down restaurant is if I received terrible service.

I didnt know it was so different in europe, but I think in any case that if someone is providing a service-you should tip depending on how happy you are. That is just me personally though.
I do not expect tips at all but if I get no tip, or like a #@(# dollar tip after doing a huge color process it makes me feel like the person was not satisfied. There is always the bunch that can't afford it and that is okay.

jeanniet
May 23rd, 2013, 11:56 PM
I think my earlier post might have been misunderstood, I don't have a problem AT ALL with sharing tips, what I have a problem with is when the establishment is run so that everyone HAS TO put their tips into a pool and EVERYONE gets an equal share. If someone gives me excellent service and I give them a better tip, I want it to go to them...if they then CHOOSE to share it, that's their business.

I think I would agree with this more if I didn't currently have a inside look, so to speak. That excellent service may seem to be wholly due to the efforts of the server, but it isn't. The people working behind the scenes aren't seen, so the public doesn't realize the effort they put in to help the restaurant run efficiently. Look at it this way--if the restaurant is really busy, and your server is still able to get your food to you in an efficient manner, that isn't because s/he has been in back running ragged getting dishes washed (or food cooked, etc.). It's because the staff you don't see is working hard to make sure the wait staff has what they need to get you served. So making the assumption that everyone has the same base pay (in my state), the wait staff is getting tips because they're frontline staff, not because they work harder or are any more responsible for getting your food on the table in edible condition and on clean plates. So if you're getting better service, it's because of a number of people, not just the server. I thought wait staff worked the hardest in a restaurant until I started seeing my son coming home from work wet, dirty, stinking, and exhausted, at about half the pay the wait staff gets with tips. Dishwashing isn't very glamorous, but the restaurant can't operate without clean dishes anymore than it can without wait staff. So it makes sense that if one is tipped, the other should be as well.

jeanniet
May 23rd, 2013, 11:56 PM
Oops, double post. I don't think Kaelee needs me to pontificate on it twice, haha.

Bagginslover
May 24th, 2013, 02:13 AM
Anywhere, ever? Or are you just talking about the hairdresser? I don't get this type of thinking. Not everyone has the opportunity to work wherever they want and charge whatever they want. I understand that someone may come from another culture where tipping isn't done, but if you visit a place where you know it's common, to not modify your actions and tip... I would consider that really rude. :nono:

Sorry, I wasn't clear was I. I wouldn't tip here, in my country (though I have when the service has been exemplary). I would tip on holiday, in cultures that I know expect it, and where I know employment laws aren't the same as ours, though If the laws are as good as ours, and tipping is still expected, I would think twice, as I think the expectation is rude.

Jorja
May 24th, 2013, 02:22 AM
I'm in the UK, and I tip the hairdresser usually a couple of pound. I have no idea if that's considered enough, I hate doing it I feel embarassed and as I've just paid to have my hair cut, I do begrudge paying more. I feel obliged to. Can't they just charge more lol. Nobody should feel obliged to tip. A tip is if they've gone beyond what's expected of the service, and only if you want to tip. There is a minimum wage here in the UK, which I myself am on. I don't expect tips working in a shop, in fact we're not allowed to accept anything from customers. Why are some workers tipped and others not? A thank you does me!

I don't mind tipping at Christmas, I would tip the postmen or bin men (ooh sexist) if we were allowed, but I think they banned that. I would rather have a genuine thank you and appreciation of service received from a customer, than a begrudgingly given bit of change.

Actually, what am I saying. Money - everytime!

Bagginslover
May 24th, 2013, 02:28 AM
I'm in the UK, and I tip the hairdresser usually a couple of pound. I have no idea if that's considered enough, I hate doing it I feel embarassed and as I've just paid to have my hair cut, I do begrudge paying more. I feel obliged to. Can't they just charge more lol. Nobody should feel obliged to tip. A tip is if they've gone beyond what's expected of the service, and only if you want to tip. There is a minimum wage here in the UK, which I myself am on. I don't expect tips working in a shop, in fact we're not allowed to accept anything from customers. Why are some workers tipped and others not? A thank you does me!

I don't mind tipping at Christmas, I would tip the postmen or bin men (ooh sexist) if we were allowed, but I think they banned that. I would rather have a genuine thank you and appreciation of service received from a customer, than a begrudgingly given bit of change.

Actually, what am I saying. Money - everytime!

I have always given biscuits to the dustmen and postman (ours are all male, so not sexist ;) ) at Christmas, in a container they can use for snacking as they are on their round. I've never tipped my hairdresser, and she is now a personal friend, so she obviously hasn't been offended ;)

Angelica
May 24th, 2013, 04:00 AM

No I have never heard of tipping a hairdresser before. They generally charge enough anyway, so it does seem odd to me.

PolarCathy
May 24th, 2013, 04:05 AM
I don't know how it goes in other parts of the world, and I've never been at a hairdresser in this country either (Sweden) BECAUSE I know (was told) that I'd pay about 800kr minimum. That is $120. I mean my ex used to pay 350kr for trimming it from 2" to 0.5-1". LOL.

800kr... I find it kind of... horrendous is the word that comes to my mind.

Why would I tip on top of that? :shocked:

Venefica
May 24th, 2013, 04:08 AM
You tip at salons? In Norway we do not do this generally, the prices a hairdresses charges is what it costs end of story. But if you wanted to tip here what about just tipping her a little extra next time, problem solved.

eresh
May 24th, 2013, 04:12 AM

Same here, we generally only tip in restaurants IF we are REALLY pleased with the service/food.
Most of the time the tip is already calculated in the price anyway.
But maybe it's a Dutch thing to be alien to the whole tipping-thing.

But seeing you are very happy with the haircut, it might make you feel better if you go back to tip her :-)

GRU
May 24th, 2013, 07:09 AM
I don't know how it goes in other parts of the world, and I've never been at a hairdresser in this country either (Sweden) BECAUSE I know (was told) that I'd pay about 800kr minimum. That is $120. I mean my ex used to pay 350kr for trimming it from 2" to 0.5-1". LOL.

800kr... I find it kind of... horrendous is the word that comes to my mind.

Why would I tip on top of that? :shocked:

When I hear about people paying $200-$300 for a haircut at a big-city salon, I just shake my head in disbelief.

We're not talking about an hours-long multi-process coloring and spiral perm here, I mean JUST a shampoo-and-a-haircut can be that much money. WTF??? And in those types of salons, they have a separate "shampoo" person to take you back to the sink and do the washing part (the stylist doesn't wash your hair), so you're supposed to tip THAT person for washing your hair, PLUS tip the stylist for cutting/styling your hair, PLUS pay another $200+ for the haircut itself.

I'll say it again: WTF???

Must be nice to make so much money you can just wipe your butt with it instead of using toilet paper! :lol: Seriously, even if I won the world's largest lottery, I'm so cheap/frugal/whatever that couldn't justify spending that much on a 30-minute haircut unless maybe the stylist traveled to my home for a private session or something...

Bagginslover
May 24th, 2013, 07:54 AM
Mine comes to our house, makes it cheaper! ;)

Kaelee
May 24th, 2013, 08:23 AM
I think I would agree with this more if I didn't currently have a inside look, so to speak. That excellent service may seem to be wholly due to the efforts of the server, but it isn't. The people working behind the scenes aren't seen, so the public doesn't realize the effort they put in to help the restaurant run efficiently. Look at it this way--if the restaurant is really busy, and your server is still able to get your food to you in an efficient manner, that isn't because s/he has been in back running ragged getting dishes washed (or food cooked, etc.). It's because the staff you don't see is working hard to make sure the wait staff has what they need to get you served. So making the assumption that everyone has the same base pay (in my state), the wait staff is getting tips because they're frontline staff, not because they work harder or are any more responsible for getting your food on the table in edible condition and on clean plates. So if you're getting better service, it's because of a number of people, not just the server. I thought wait staff worked the hardest in a restaurant until I started seeing my son coming home from work wet, dirty, stinking, and exhausted, at about half the pay the wait staff gets with tips. Dishwashing isn't very glamorous, but the restaurant can't operate without clean dishes anymore than it can without wait staff. So it makes sense that if one is tipped, the other should be as well.

I don't blame the server at all if the food is slow. I always assumed that's the fault of something going on in the back. If it's slow and COLD when I get it, then I can guess it's been sitting somewhere, but I realize things just take time to prepare, kitchens get backed up etc....

But the time I had to ask THREE TIMES for a glass of water...and never got it? (Or maybe I did...BY ASKING A DIFFERENT SERVER!) That's just bad service. On the other hand, I recently went to a restaurant that I had never been to before, and ordered a cranberry juice. The waitress brought me, not only my cranberry juice (and quickly) but ALSO a glass of water, which I had forgotten to ask for! She got a good tip. ;)

UltraBella
May 24th, 2013, 10:25 AM
Where I live, most hairdressers are booth renters, so they are self employed and only renting their station from the owner. I own two salons and everyone tips me just the same as they would someone else. The stylists here in my area who are employees make above minimum wage, the lowest I know of is $9 per hour at a chain salon like Great Clips.

Where I'm from, if you don't tip your stylist, waitress, etc - it's taken as a sign of very poor service.

Coolcombination
May 24th, 2013, 11:53 AM
In Wales (uk) we only tip in restaurants, and then it's only if the server has been friendly, and usually it's more of a "keep the change thing". We normally tip between £2-£10 if at all

jeanniet
May 24th, 2013, 12:09 PM
I wonder how common it is in other countries to include a service charge (tip) on the bill? I know when I lived in Brazil all the restaurants included the tip in the bill--I think it was around 10%, and then we added something on top of that. In the US, this is very uncommon except for large parties in some restaurants (so the server doesn't get stiffed). It's still tipping, just not voluntary.