PDA

View Full Version : What would you do? Super-long back of neck hair

Kaelee
May 22nd, 2013, 10:33 AM
I have those soft, fine, back of the neck/temple hairs that just about everyone has...except mine grow freakishly long (the ones at my temples/in front of my ears grow all the way down past my chin!). They won't stay in an updo or braid at all, but when they hang loose they're as long as my braid! shudder:

It looks rather silly. They'll never grow long enough to actually be part of an updo, so it's not a matter of a waiting game...this is just how they are.

What would you do? Would you trim them?

See what I mean:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a133/Danmara/004-6_zpsc955541b.jpg

Angelica
May 22nd, 2013, 10:54 AM
I have those as well. Just leave them, or you could tuck them up underneath the braid you have in the photo. By the way your hair is lovely and I love the style :)

Kaelee
May 22nd, 2013, 10:57 AM
Thanks! I just learned to do this style today. :lol: I love it too!

They don't tuck well unfortunately...when I have a braid actually hanging down I think it must look terribly silly with the long pieces hanging out all the way down.

Zindell
May 22nd, 2013, 11:12 AM
I don't mind the small hairs hanging down. Looks natural. :)

But one thing sprung to my mind if you really want to hide them...
Maybe if you twist them up and fasten them with a bobby pin beneath/under the hairdo?

Kaelee
May 22nd, 2013, 11:14 AM
I don't mind the small hairs hanging down. Looks natural and free. :)

But one thing sprung to my mind if you really want to hide them...
Maybe if you twist them up and fasten them with a bobby pin benath/under the hairdo?

That's a good idea, thanks! I'll try it.

I don't mind them so much with updos, when I have a braid hanging down though, sometimes they really bug me.

MaryO
May 22nd, 2013, 11:25 AM
Mine aren't as long but I do like the way it makes your hairdo look whispy and almost whimsical, so I would actually trim them to look natural but the idea of the bobby pin is a very good one! :-)

KittyBird
May 22nd, 2013, 12:33 PM
I have those too, they're anywhere between chin and hip length. They seem finer and much more slippery than the rest of my hair. I manage to incorporate mine somewhat into my braids, which really only looks worse than if I had left them out. The nape part of all my braids look fuzzy and untidy because the slippery hairs are trying to escape. I think it looks cute with escaping fuzzies in buns though, it makes the updos look less severe. I love messy buns! :D

Wavelength
May 22nd, 2013, 12:38 PM
I wet my nape hairs down and then curl them around my fingers. They seem to keep the curl very well after they're dry, and they look neater when they're shaped into well-defined curls than when they're all over my neck.

PinkyCat
May 22nd, 2013, 12:47 PM
I have them too. I usually just make sure I get them with the leave-in condish so they don't turn into little brillo pads. I dont usually pay any attention to them.

jacqueline101
May 22nd, 2013, 01:50 PM
I have small fine hairs and I leave them.

thenewstephie
May 22nd, 2013, 02:41 PM
I think the little hairs like that are cute. I don't normally have them, but I do right now from new growth after my postpartum shed and I wish I could keep them. If you are bothered by the length of them though I'd suggest just trimming them a bit to a more reasonable length but still keeping them natural looking... maybe to an inch and a half or so. I think they look just fine though. :D I personally think you should just keep it, rather than risk it looking funny or unnatural.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 23rd, 2013, 01:27 AM
I think they are cute, wispy and very feminine. I love mine....

Bagginslover
May 23rd, 2013, 05:14 AM
I have those (and recently made a thread complaining about them too), mine do exactly what yours do, except mine are coarse and kinky, not fine. The rest of my hair is sleek and straight, but those hairs are frizzy and wild, and always out of my updos. they won't take a curl, and they won't lie straight. I try to oil them very regularly, and that does soften them somewhat, but I always have some degree of 'hair cloud' at my nape.

Carolyn
May 23rd, 2013, 06:16 AM
A pin curl with 2 crossed bobbie pins works well for me. I also have those little metal oval clippy barrettes. I'm not sure what they are called but the click into place. They don't have a catch. Someone help me with the name! I've used them for decades but I can't think of what they are called. Quilters use them for hold binding in place while it's being hand stitched too.

cathair
May 23rd, 2013, 06:44 AM
I have that too, I think mine eventually do grow long enough to put up. But are replaced very quickly with new shorter bits of hair. I also have the bits in front of my ears, some of which are BSL+, sometimes I think they are like sideburns! I also get some right at the front of my head, around where a centre parting would be, they never seem to get longer than chin length. I don't know if I break them, they are probably the most touched bits. I don't really mind all these bits, well the nape one are my least favourite but, I get to have some shorter cute bits without the guilt of cutting layers :D

Kaelee
May 23rd, 2013, 08:34 AM
A pin curl with 2 crossed bobbie pins works well for me. I also have those little metal oval clippy barrettes. I'm not sure what they are called but the click into place. They don't have a catch. Someone help me with the name! I've used them for decades but I can't think of what they are called. Quilters use them for hold binding in place while it's being hand stitched too.

I know exactly what you mean but I don't know what they're called either. :lol:

I'm glad to hear you all would just leave them alone...I was considering trimming them but wasn't sure how I would get it to look natural.

Coolcombination
May 23rd, 2013, 12:37 PM
I had baby hairs like that on my hairline, they've grown recently to be 1" long so ill be using these tips, usually I just smooth them back with my hands

Anabell
May 23rd, 2013, 01:25 PM
I have those soft, fine, back of the neck/temple hairs that just about everyone has...except mine grow freakishly long (the ones at my temples/in front of my ears grow all the way down past my chin!). They won't stay in an updo or braid at all, but when they hang loose they're as long as my braid! shudder:

It looks rather silly. They'll never grow long enough to actually be part of an updo, so it's not a matter of a waiting game...this is just how they are.

What would you do? Would you trim them?

See what I mean:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a133/Danmara/004-6_zpsc955541b.jpg

Maybe you can moisturize them so they will be more manageable. This hairstyle is lovely and your hair is so shiny. How did you do this hairstyle?

shutterpillar
May 23rd, 2013, 03:10 PM
I have them too, and rather like them... so I'm probably not much help. lol. :P On record, I dont think they look bad at all.

Stellaaa
May 23rd, 2013, 05:54 PM
I have them, have always had them (30 years of longhair). I used to travel in an english braid, and always looked horribly scruffy by the time I arrived anywhere due to these little fluffy stringy bits all over my head. Now I wear a bun and don't feel so bad.

Be glad that messy buns are in style. I am.

When I want a sleek look I glue the little bits up under my bun and down to the rest of my head with hair gel.

leslissocool
May 23rd, 2013, 05:58 PM
I have TONS of these, mine freeze though and I look like a poof ball LOL.

I just let them be. New growth after chicken pox, le sigh.

Kaelee
May 24th, 2013, 08:31 AM
Maybe you can moisturize them so they will be more manageable. This hairstyle is lovely and your hair is so shiny. How did you do this hairstyle?

They're actually the first hairs to get overmoisturized and stretchy.

As for the hairstyle, I started with a faux-French braid, tucked the braid up underneath and secured with a Ficcare. :D

McFearless
May 25th, 2013, 10:19 PM
I have those same hairs and dislike them at that length. Short baby hairs however look very cute to me, so I say cut them so they don't interfere.