PDA

View Full Version : Very rough dry ends but no splits?

skipper
May 22nd, 2013, 10:20 AM
I have been growing my naturally curly hair from buzz cut for the last 2 years and around 5 months in i (STUPIDLY) put hydrogen peroxide in my hair because i wanted light brown hair (my hair is dark brown) well i HATED my hair for like a year because it was dry, and the color did NOT suit me at all. i dyed it dark brown about 2 weeks after but it quickly faded away. Through all this time it was normal hair texture with slight dryness to the ends. About 14 months into growing it out i got my first half inch trim. it was a lot softer for months then recently 19 months into growing it out i noticed some parts of it are very soft from root to tip but in some areas it is rough and dry at the tip i got another trim i think it was a little over a half inch but i dont think the lady cut all the layers even i think she cut my bottom layers shorter and left the top just slightly trimmed. but it is really dry conditioner and deep treatments help i really dont want to cut it because i dont want to loose length but in the worst dryest part in the crown of my head it is dry 3 inches up the hair. there is still some light brown on the ends i think but for damaged dry ends like i have there are very few to no split ends!! :confused: i am wondering if it is because of my very healthy routine for my hair. hmm.. my question is should i sacrifice a 2 inch trim or just put up with the dry ends. and like i said some areas it is perfectly healthy from root to tip. what do you guys think :D

LadyCelestina
May 22nd, 2013, 11:53 AM
Not everybody is prone to splitting.Do you use hair products with a lot of protein? They made my ends freak out once.
Or the other side,have you tried a protein DT followed with a moisturizing one?

If your ends really bother you a lot,you can try microtrimming... it doesn't sound like it's going to help,but your ends might feel much nicer afterwards

jacqueline101
May 22nd, 2013, 01:51 PM
I'd try baby oil and a leave in conditioner.

alexis917
May 22nd, 2013, 06:39 PM
Sounds like you get what I get.
Instead of getting splits, I usually get crinkles.
The ends get dry and shrivel up instead of splitting...
http://www.diaryofahairobsession.com/?p=2828
Here, this might help. :)

WilfredAllen
May 22nd, 2013, 06:54 PM
Sounds like you get what I get.
Instead of getting splits, I usually get crinkles.
The ends get dry and shrivel up instead of splitting...
http://www.diaryofahairobsession.com/?p=2828
Here, this might help. :)

This is what my splits are like! I've only every found one, maybe two actually split hairs.

alexis917
May 22nd, 2013, 07:30 PM
This is what my splits are like! I've only every found one, maybe two actually split hairs.
It's so frustrating, because I never really notice them as easily and by the time I do, they feel awful!

chen bao jun
May 22nd, 2013, 08:08 PM
Yeah, this is me, too. My hair doesn't split but I get the crinkles and the knots, especially the knots. And the affected hair will feel snarly and rough and tangly. Fortunately I have never dealt with this except on the ends of my hair, I've never had mid-shaft problems.
I've been in LHC a year and so far managed to avoid a haircut by using SMTS, babying the ends, wearing hair up 90% of the time and strengthening the ends with mild protein treatments every 2 to 3 weeks. And I do search and destroy periodically. Interestingly, my ends have improved a lot. Last fall, I thought I would eventually need to trim the last 3-4 inches of my hair. They would feel better immediately after a treatment and then a couple of days later be just back to where they were. But now they feel good all the time and I actually think I only need a micro-trim, not as much as off as I originally thought.
What i found out last fall though was that my ends are better though only when I treat them correctly. I tried to blow dry my hair and flatiron it 2x (so it would be easier to trim) and both times, the ends not only would not straighten but they were literally crumbling off if I even finger combed while my hair was in the blow-dried state. Then I did a good SMT, washed my hair, put on a little protein (only on the ends--I used Joico K-pak) and when I was back at curly my ends felt fine again. As I just said, I haven't yet had to cut.

LadyCelestina
May 23rd, 2013, 04:59 AM
^^^Why is tapered end also considered a split end? How do you know whether it's new growth taper or damage taper

VanillaTresses
May 23rd, 2013, 05:35 AM
You could perhaps try a cassia gloss or oiling, in addition to your current deep treatments. In my experience, coconut oil or hair oils containing coconut seem to be particularly helpful. Also, when my hair has been in really bad shape on the ends CWC (condition, wash, condition) seems to help too.

chen bao jun
May 23rd, 2013, 10:17 AM
^^^Why is tapered end also considered a split end? How do you know whether it's new growth taper or damage taper
They look different, although the chart doesn't show it. You can tell its a hair that half peeled off of, I can't explain it better than that.

alexis917
May 23rd, 2013, 12:49 PM
When my hair is tapered from damage, like peeled away, I notice that the ends are lighter than the rest of my hair.

MeganJoan
April 17th, 2016, 05:54 AM
That crinkles are a type of split end explains SO MUCH. I've always been so confused as to why my hair will feel damaged, and tangley, spongey when wet, rough and crinkley when dry, but then I can never see any typical looking splits.

I'm about to cut an inch off my ends. Partially because I need to even it up slightly more with my undercut, but also because the entire bottom inch of my hair is rough, dry, and crinkly and I think it just needs to go as I can't seem to save it. I've tried lots of treatments as well as henna and it's as bad as ever.

plurabelle
April 17th, 2016, 12:53 PM
Don't cut off your ends till you are sure they are unsalvageable. I had really dry tangly ends that I thought were damaged beyond repair, but when I moved back home from uni, my ends were moisturised, soft and tangle-free after one wash with (soft) well-water. Hard water had made my hair unmanageable and soft water repaired it. This may or may not be your problem, but I know from experience that dry tangly ends aren't always a sign of damage.

uub
April 17th, 2016, 01:03 PM
I suffer from the same affliction. It's usually worst just after washing. I've tried smothering the ends with coconut oil and while they're slicker they still feel weird (fuzzy is the best way to describe the feeling).The only thing that helps in my case is leave in conditioner, and BBBing to distribute my own oils the day after washing.

turtlelover
April 17th, 2016, 03:52 PM
Try some olive oil as a leave in. That can really make my hair feel a lot softer.

Lizzie.torp
April 18th, 2016, 04:17 AM
This thread has helped me a lot actually. I had no idea there were types of splits. I have collarbone length hair and every hair has a white dot on the tip or an offshoot split. Unfortinately, the white dots are still there after trimming so I don't know what to do.

April 18th, 2016, 12:23 PM
Sounds like you get what I get. Instead of getting splits, I usually get crinkles. The ends get dry and shrivel up instead of splitting... http://www.diaryofahairobsession.com/?p=2828 Here, this might help. :) Wow, I like that split ends chart. Shows all 'weird' types. I used to have these offshoot things, they look so weird, huh.