PDA

View Full Version : CG Method: coconut oil while CO-washing?

daredevil14
May 22nd, 2013, 04:42 AM
So I am back to the CurlyGirl method after having a terrible experience with the "pure evil cones", my wavy/curly hair is literally breathing again, less frizz and more thick curls. Right now, I am only CO-washing (finally found a mask without cones) without any leave-in conditioner or even a low-poo cleanser (couldn't find any sulfate-free cleanser in the market, I don't live in USA or UK; suggestions wouldn't be helpful).

Anyway I have a Vatika coconut oil bottle, and I was wondering, is this useful for CO-washers? I heard about oil treatments once a week, I think my frizzy areas will benefit so much from this since it penetrates the head and etc... However I am really worried about buildups! So tell me, is it good to apply coconut oil? If yes, When? (Before CO-washing or after?), Method? A rinse-out or a leave-in? Etc...

Thanks! :)

daredevil14
May 22nd, 2013, 09:36 PM
Anyone out there?

McFearless
May 22nd, 2013, 10:13 PM
It wouldn't hurt to try a few drops on frizzy areas after a wash while the hair is still damp. Depending on how your hair responds you can alter the amount used.

akilina
May 22nd, 2013, 10:39 PM
What Vatika oil is it??? Is it the one in the light blueish teal bottle with the round green screw top? If so, I love this stuff. I don't see anything in the ingredients on mine that would *build up* really..But I wouldn't use the other reformulated one they have at all.
Im not cg but I have CO washed in the past, while frequently using virgin coconut oil. No problems whatsoever.
I am the type though that literally does not get build up on my hair at all.

daredevil14
May 23rd, 2013, 12:32 AM
Thanks for the tips.

Akilina, it's this one: http://media.taw9eel.com/catalog/product/cache/1/image/800x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/7/_/7_2_27.jpg

I am thinking of applying it on wet/damp hair, wait like 2 hours and CO-wash it! And then, continue the routine of applying again the cone-free conditioner and rinse it out after wet-combing.

bunzfan
May 23rd, 2013, 04:25 AM
I do co washing and shampooing once a week, just recently i have been doing a deep oiling on my hair when it dry then, the nest day i applying my deep treatment and saturate the hair with it and leave it on under a shower cap for anything in between 30 mins to 1 hour and it totally gets the oil out when you co wash it out.

marykatz
May 23rd, 2013, 07:47 PM
For me, I can't seem to wash the coconut oil out with CO washing so I guess it depends. I would try it for a few weeks and see how your hair looks. I looked up the ingredients on amazon and I don't see anything in it that would build up on your hair.

neko_kawaii
May 23rd, 2013, 07:50 PM
I do co washing and shampooing once a week, just recently i have been doing a deep oiling on my hair when it dry then, the nest day i applying my deep treatment and saturate the hair with it and leave it on under a shower cap for anything in between 30 mins to 1 hour and it totally gets the oil out when you co wash it out.

This works for me too.

DarkCurls
May 24th, 2013, 10:43 AM
I co-wash almost exclusively (I use shampoo every four-six months or so, but other than that, it's co-washes twice a week) and I use coconut oil. Lots of it, every week. I don't like it when applied to damp or wet hair (oil on wet hair just makes my hair greasy, unless it's only on the very ends), but I use it as a deep treatment, pre-wash. Leave it on for a few hours or maybe overnight, and then wash out with conditioner. It gets it all out just fine for me.

It won't hurt to try, anyway.

meteor
May 24th, 2013, 10:58 AM
What Vatika oil is it??? Is it the one in the light blueish teal bottle with the round green screw top? If so, I love this stuff. I don't see anything in the ingredients on mine that would *build up* really..But I wouldn't use the other reformulated one they have at all.
This! Vatika hair oil is really great. I don't see any buildup when I use it, except ... henna in Vatika oil gives my highlights a copper-ish tone after using it heavily, but it washes out. There is nothing in Vatika oil that will give you an unhealthy cone-like buildup. It does contain milk, but that's a protein source.
I can wash out Vatika with just water, but any conditioner or shampoo works well. It's a very well-formulated product.