PDA

View Full Version : Elumen - Goldwell jealously protecting their information...

10000days
May 21st, 2013, 08:55 PM
So I called Goldwell (Australia) to ask which colour I should buy and the Technical Hotline person told me that she can't give me advice because I'm not a hairdresser... Whether or not she gives me advice, I'm going to buy the product, use it, and review it online. It's in her interest to help me.

THAT aside.
(1) Could someone please give me advice on how I can use Elumen to colour my over-bleached lengths (see my avatar) to match my natural mousy light brown roots?
(2) If I do a few applications of henna first (to put the red back into my hair which bleaching strips) can I put a blue dye into my hair after that to get (close to) my natural colour?

If there are any threads that are relevant, please link me! Much appreciated!

juliaxena
May 21st, 2013, 09:50 PM
If your hair is ashy, you could try with a mix of AB@6 (ash brown - pretty dark) and AB@9 (ash blonde). I would not go the henna route. Elumen has enough red itself, even in ashy tones, at least on my hair. Henna plus blue Elumen seem too complicated to me.

juliaxena
May 21st, 2013, 10:05 PM
Elumen thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=5594

juliaxena
May 21st, 2013, 10:08 PM
Elumen FAQ: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=87394

akilina
May 21st, 2013, 10:30 PM
Im glad others know. I have been interested in elumen but have never used it or tried it (strangely) i am a hairdresser lol. I don't think they have it at my supply store or else I would have :(

I wouldn't get too ruffled over them not helping you with this. I completely understand, and its kind of like when you call any doctor or vet..They will not give any advice over the phone. This information could easily be found online so its not as much of the issue of being jealous or not wanting anyone to know. Its basically them...covering their arse for whatever crazy reason someone might come up with to sue them. They might give knowledgeable advice to the wrong person, user of the product screws up, then it would be goldwells fault. People are too sue happy.

MandyBeth
May 21st, 2013, 11:25 PM
Elumen is iffy over henna for me. Plus, I'm in the ash dark blonde or light brown range. Henna is day glo orange on me.

Then add in the Goldwell I've tried, even in the ash and neutral shades are really red for the names.

I'd start with a 7 ash or neutral shade and go from there. It may be a little too light, but I think you are close to my color. My roots look around a 3-4 if I'm really light or red, but if my hair is black, I look around a 9. I'm actually about a mix of 7 ash and 6 neutral.

juliaxena
May 21st, 2013, 11:52 PM
The only levels 7 they have is BG@7 and KB@7. The BG@7 is pretty dark and the reddest I have tried. Therefore I would not advise KB@7 (K = copper). NA@8 might be good as well if it won't be too red. The best bet is mixing AB@6 and AB@9 in a few ratios and strand test. IMHO. I think 1/3 of AB@6 and 2/3 of AB@9 is where I would start, as far as I have come with my tests. Currently I am happiest with AB@9 but my bleach is all grown out so I don't have to darken anything. AB@9 does not make my hair seem darker than it is and not a lot redder and I'd estimate I am between levels 6 and 7 as well. YRMV.

10000days
May 22nd, 2013, 04:58 AM
Thank you everyone for replying.
Gosh so much new information...and much more research/testing to do (just when I thought I'd finished with henndigo experiments). *sigh*

Juliaxena: thanks for the links! When you first started using Elumen on your bleached hair, did it go greenish? That's my main concern; any ash dye over hair which has no natural red in it will go green. (A lot of my henndigo experiments have gone green-grey even when I did a 2-step with bright red henna underneath...) You've mentioned that a lot of the Elumen colours are quite red which gives me hope...

If we go by this colour chart: https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSSX6W1k1ursYXdFtAZvmIb1i1sEla0S 6JtcjFAmPauVvPRk1Nt
I'm a level 7N according to the colour in that picture. Would your earlier advice still apply? Is your natural hair lighter or darker than 7N from that picture?

MandyBeth: Yeah henna goes orange/reddish on me too. Before you tried the ash and neutral shades, what colour was your hair? Were you applying to virgin hair or on top of henna/elumen/other?

akilina: The voice of reason! I know I shouldn't be angry about it...

MandyBeth
May 22nd, 2013, 05:56 AM
My natural color is iffy. I sun bleach to red tones, but they look horrid. One of my drugs works great to control my auto immune disorders, but it actually whacks my natural color. Plus, I'm about 20% gray, but that's scattered, so not visible much, and it just makes my hair look lighter.

I applied over growing out henna, and wanted to go darker. I know we did one of the greens to neutralize the hideous henna Cheetos orange, then put something over top.

I'm between a 6 and 7 in the ash to neutral ranges. I get horizontal bands in the 8 and 9 ratios also, thanks to the drugs. I'm currently two stepping indigo to get 1N black.

juliaxena
May 22nd, 2013, 08:27 AM
Thank you everyone for replying.
Gosh so much new information...and much more research/testing to do (just when I thought I'd finished with henndigo experiments). *sigh*

Juliaxena: thanks for the links! When you first started using Elumen on your bleached hair, did it go greenish? That's my main concern; any ash dye over hair which has no natural red in it will go green. (A lot of my henndigo experiments have gone green-grey even when I did a 2-step with bright red henna underneath...) You've mentioned that a lot of the Elumen colours are quite red which gives me hope...

If we go by this colour chart: https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSSX6W1k1ursYXdFtAZvmIb1i1sEla0S 6JtcjFAmPauVvPRk1Nt
I'm a level 7N according to the colour in that picture. Would your earlier advice still apply? Is your natural hair lighter or darker than 7N from that picture?

MandyBeth: Yeah henna goes orange/reddish on me too. Before you tried the ash and neutral shades, what colour was your hair? Were you applying to virgin hair or on top of henna/elumen/other?

akilina: The voice of reason! I know I shouldn't be angry about it...

There was absolutely no green at all. There was even a slight red tone.

That color scale does not seem very accurate to me, but I am seeing it on my mobile phone so I am not sure what I am seeing. But if I went by that scale I would say I am more 8N (but cooler, or maybe in between 7N and 8N) and 9N on the ends (naturally sun bleached). I would still start with ABs but your ration may have to be slightly different. I started with ABs, experimentent with other shades I mentioned and then cam back to AB.

But your experience could be completely different.

akilina
May 22nd, 2013, 09:29 PM
Btw, pretty much every single color line out there has PDF files online of every single last nook and cranny of information about the color line and how to use it properly.

10000days
June 4th, 2013, 05:08 AM
If your hair is ashy, you could try with a mix of AB@6 (ash brown - pretty dark) and AB@9 (ash blonde). I would not go the henna route. Elumen has enough red itself, even in ashy tones, at least on my hair. Henna plus blue Elumen seem too complicated to me.

I've had a few days to think about all of this (including the other messages in the thread)... Since I'm trying to get my hair back to my ashy light brown colour (and I'm super poor) what I'm considering doing is:
(1) Darken my hair with walnut hulls first. Walnut hulls give me a reddish brown.
(2) Then go over the top with Elumen for a gloss, deeper colour, and most importantly an ashier shade.

Do you think that using AB@9 (ash blonde) over the reddish brown colour would achieve this?

juliaxena
June 4th, 2013, 07:12 AM
I've had a few days to think about all of this (including the other messages in the thread)... Since I'm trying to get my hair back to my ashy light brown colour (and I'm super poor) what I'm considering doing is:
(1) Darken my hair with walnut hulls first. Walnut hulls give me a reddish brown.
(2) Then go over the top with Elumen for a gloss, deeper colour, and most importantly an ashier shade.

Do you think that using AB@9 (ash blonde) over the reddish brown colour would achieve this?

I have just spent the weekend trying to get some of the red out due to AB@9 (succeeded). For me, Elumen has enough red even in neutral and ashy shades, as also Mandybeth reported. Your results may vary but I think you can always try Elumen first and if you feel there was not enough red, do what you are thinking about.

spidermom
June 4th, 2013, 02:11 PM
Although I don't mess much with my color, I wanted to offer this since I don't see it mentioned: I've often heard it said that after bleach, you want to go with a lighter color than you think you need because the bleached hair is really going to grab and intensify the color. I've heard people choose dark blonde and complain of their hair going nearly black.