PDA

View Full Version : Extremely light eyebrows/eyelashes, plus hair dye and roots

AmberLouise
May 20th, 2013, 07:37 PM
For those of you with extremely light (white/blonde) eyebrows/eyelashes, is your hair also light or is it darker than your eyebrows? I know a lot of natural blondes have eyebrows that are darker than their hair, but is it common for it to be the other way around (light eyebrows and darker hair)? I haven't seen my natural hair color in 16 years (last time I seen it it was a light golden blonde). I'm just starting to grow it out with only about 1/2" of roots, so it's hard for me to tell what color it is at this point. I'm wondering if my eyebrow color will be any indicator of what my hair color will be. My eyebrows and lashes are extremely light blonde and haven't darkened since I was a child. They're so light that if I don't color them in people think I don't have eyebrows/eyelashes.

Also on another note, I read somewhere that if you dye your hair often the first few inches of roots that come out, the color can be affected from the previous dye jobs. I have been dyeing my hair black for the past 8 years and I'm wondering if the constant application of black hair dye to my roots could affect the color of my first few inches of regrowth? Or is this just nonsense?

atlantaz3
May 20th, 2013, 08:34 PM
I'm medium blonde that highlights. I think my eyebrows are trying to go gray, eyelashes are brown. If I don't dye or color my eye brows you basically can't see them. I was white blonde growing up.

olivelover
May 20th, 2013, 10:52 PM
My eyebrows tend to be exactly the same colour as my hair, except for the natural highlights I get in my hair from the sun, part of which more or less stays woth me all year making my hair look slightly lighter (while the eyebrows obviously take much less time to regrow completely after the summer sunning). My eyelashes are a bit lighter, and almost transparent at the ends all year round.
In the summer though, I think, my eyebrows do tend to be somewhat lighter than the rest of my hair, probably becuase of being more constantly exposed to the sun (I work outdoors a lot in the summer).
I don't know about the dye affecting the roots though, as I've never at all died my hair. I think though that partly the shade of your new growth may be affected by being contrasted by the died part and it may look slightly different when it grows longer for that reason.
Hope that helps. =)

anitacs9101
May 20th, 2013, 11:53 PM
I have extremely thin eyebrows and eyelashes. I don't know if it's blonde, maybe more like dark blonde or light brown, but the hair itself is extremely thin and see-through which makes it appear blonde. I have the same kind of hair all over my body, except my armpits(slightly thicker) and my head. The hair there is medium brown/medium thickness.

Bagginslover
May 21st, 2013, 06:15 AM
My brows and lashes are naturally darker then my hair, but my dad, who has dark brown hair, has always had blonde brows and lashes, so it does vary wildly.

As for dyes affecting the colour of your regrowth, no. I think youre on the right track with the nonsense ;)

kitschy
May 21st, 2013, 06:39 AM
My brows and lashes are a bit lighter than my blonde hair. It almost looks like I don't have any. I call this the 'palomino' effect. Most people are like Bay Horses
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYSatfVO279vfR3-XnDz70pP6zsLe09wNMesodhyhEUgxJaSjShA,

but I have coloring like a Palomino
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTsRCqPkjRKVQBR40kjSGX8viG7fVwm2 2TfWokw_Q2s037HeVSotA

And no, I don't think dye has any effect on hair below the surface.

fairview
May 21st, 2013, 07:08 AM
Also on another note, I read somewhere that if you dye your hair often the first few inches of roots that come out, the color can be affected from the previous dye jobs. I have been dyeing my hair black for the past 8 years and I'm wondering if the constant application of black hair dye to my roots could affect the color of my first few inches of regrowth? Or is this just nonsense?

Yes, that is nonsense. If that were possible then the issue of grey hair would be resolved. What you may have been told is that after coloring your hair black for so long it is truly permanent and no matter what type of color stripper or lighter used it will always hold onto to some amount of the black hair color. Usually the recommended solution is to just cut it off since if you are able to somehow lift it off, your hair is so damaged and brittle it simply breaks off. Good luck.

olivelover
May 21st, 2013, 07:52 AM
but I have coloring like a Palomino
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTsRCqPkjRKVQBR40kjSGX8viG7fVwm2 2TfWokw_Q2s037HeVSotA

That fabulous Palomino is me after doing a couple of weeks of my outdoor job! I loved your metaphor, Kitschy, I even had to sve the palomino picture)))

AmberLouise
May 21st, 2013, 08:03 AM
Yes, that is nonsense. If that were possible then the issue of grey hair would be resolved. What you may have been told is that after coloring your hair black for so long it is truly permanent and no matter what type of color stripper or lighter used it will always hold onto to some amount of the black hair color. Usually the recommended solution is to just cut it off since if you are able to somehow lift it off, your hair is so damaged and brittle it simply breaks off. Good luck.

They were actually saying that trace mounts of hair dye can seep into the hair follicle and slightly stain regrowth, which was something I had never heard of before.

On a side note, as for removing black hair dye, that actually isn't as hard as many people think it is (I've done it many, many times)

Thanks for all the replies! I'm glad to hear most people have darker hair. I'm worried about my natural blonde being too light for my liking!

goldloli
May 21st, 2013, 08:06 AM
The bit about it changing new hair growth colour after stopping isn't true, although the follicle can be damaged altering the hair that grows from it for a while, this is mostly a texture change.

I have taupey blonde eyebrows that bleach in the sun super easy to ash blonde. My eyelashes are blonde see-through along with most of my body hair. My head hair is like an amber colour. I don't like my pale eyelashes or summer brows so tend to use black mascara and a grey/brown/taupe brow pencil, I think the light facial hair would work for someone with cooler tones but not so much for me.

Bagginslover
May 21st, 2013, 08:10 AM
Thanks for all the replies! I'm glad to hear most people have darker hair. I'm worried about my natural blonde being too light for my liking!

I was under the impression peoples brows were generally 2-3 shades darker than their hair, and that having lighter brows was unusual. You asked for replies from people who had lighter brows.....

Springlets
May 21st, 2013, 08:17 AM
If the last time you had your natural hair color was when you were a young teen, then most likely it has darkened some (for most people it does). But, your roots are your hair at its very darkest and as you grow them out, they will lighten.

AmberLouise
May 21st, 2013, 08:19 AM
I was under the impression peoples brows were generally 2-3 shades darker than their hair, and that having lighter brows was unusual. You asked for replies from people who had lighter brows.....

Yeah because I have like white/see through brows and I'm hoping my hair isn't that light. I just wanted to know if other people with light brows have darker hair.

AmberLouise
May 21st, 2013, 08:21 AM
If the last time you had your natural hair color was when you were a young teen, then most likely it has darkened some (for most people it does). But, your roots are your hair at its very darkest and as you grow them out, they will lighten.

Yeah the last time I seen my natural color was at 8yrs old. I thought peoples hair normally darkened, but because my eyebrows/lashes haven't darkened I was worried my hair hadn't either. Though from the replies I'm getting here I'm guessing it has.