PDA

View Full Version : quick question

blondecat
May 19th, 2013, 04:12 AM
does ones hair need to be scruplesly clean to put a box home colour through??

It's been 3 days since the last shampoo. I usually only wash it once a week.

It's Loreal Paris, Sublime Mouse and it says to put onto Dry hair.

But........... Does it need to be CLEAN hair? Is my Question.

TIA

cathair
May 19th, 2013, 04:40 AM
I haven't used that dye before but, I believe it is better to dye over clean hair unless it the instructions otherwise, if you aim is to have the colour stick as much a possible. If I remember right, dye takes best when hair has been clarified but not conditioned. So you condition after the dying process instead. However that can be quite harsh for your hair. But I am no hairdresser, perhaps someone else can chip in? :)

blondecat
May 19th, 2013, 04:43 AM
ahh Thanks. I think I'll just do this another night.

if I have to wash then dry my hair first................. I may never get around to it lol

I don't own a dryer.

jacqueline101
May 19th, 2013, 07:39 AM
I'd say it would've to be on clean dry hair.

missfaroe
May 19th, 2013, 11:11 AM
I have always colored my hair several days after wash day without washing it first. But i don't really use any products, like hairspray or gel, in my hair.
There are a lot of People here on LHC who use cocunut oil in hair before bleaching/coloring so I Don't think it is that important to have clean hair.

Night_Kitten
May 19th, 2013, 11:55 AM
My mom uses chemical dye, and she only washes her hair before if she has spray / product in it... Her hairdresser told her it's better not to use the dye on the same day she washes her hair, as the natural oils protect the scalp skin so she tries to do it on second or third day after wash whenever she can...
I don't remember what brand she uses though, so I have no idea if your brand is the same...

AnnaB
May 19th, 2013, 12:40 PM
I have used box hair dyes for years and I have always preferred doing it when my hair was greasy, or at least a day or so after a wash. It makes no difference though :)

Magalo
May 19th, 2013, 01:52 PM
I also dyed when my hair was dirty as the oils protect the hair.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 19th, 2013, 02:46 PM
I always prefer to dye on greasy/oily hair, I think it does protect the hair more from the harshness of the dyes. Sometimes I even oil my hair first and then dye it.

Bagginslover
May 20th, 2013, 02:30 AM
I too always dyed on 'dirty' hair. Id dye instead of washing actually, as the process cleanes my hair, so I'd effectivly skip a wash ;)

blondecat
May 27th, 2013, 05:17 AM
I'll take a pic tomorow if I can.

The colour is almost the same as my normal top layer of hair. (the underneath layer is always darker)

its nice, a little brighter than normal, about the same colour, looks natural. A little thicker (due to the dye).

I canocider it a success.

Ofh yes, I didnt wash it first, just put the dye on to dirty hair. But, I dont use products so MMM yeh

Im a little loopy from cold and flue meds, so if It s not readable, will try to re write in the morning.
Cheers Mwah <3

Achlys
May 27th, 2013, 05:38 AM
I've never used box dye myself, but I help my mom dye hers and she always uses it on unwashed hair because it's not as harsh on hair. It always takes, but she dyes her hair black, which is probably a strong dye anyway.

lapushka
May 27th, 2013, 05:49 AM
My mom waits until right before or on wash day. The oil helps protect the hair from the harsher dye. It's about the same as putting coconut oil on clean hair right before you dye, pretty useless if all you have to do is wait until your hair is at its greasiest.