PDA

View Full Version : Good hats for longhaired guys?

Arfed
May 18th, 2013, 09:45 PM
Want to get a good hat for sun protection, but I never wear hats, so not sure what style would both look good for a longhaired guy, and protect well from the sun; any suggestions? (I usually wear my hair in a ponytail)

While sun protection is my main goal, feel free to chip in any other hats you think look well on a guy, but which might not be suited to summer.

dwell_in_safety
May 18th, 2013, 10:24 PM
Buffs! :) You can wear them aaaaaall kinds of different ways. One buff can become quite a few different styles of hat. If you've not heard of them, Google is your friend. I just ordered myself four off Amazon.

ETA: And many of them have UV protection on top of the fact that they already protect by virtue of covering.

akilina
May 18th, 2013, 10:47 PM
I almost want to say to go to some sort of store that has a TON of hats and try ones you like on to see what works best. Bring a girl with you too for an opinion on what ones look really great. It seems sort of hard to really recommend a specific hat to someone when we don't know anything about them/their looks/etc..

trolleypup
May 18th, 2013, 11:52 PM
Want to get a good hat for sun protection, but I never wear hats, so not sure what style would both look good for a longhaired guy, and protect well from the sun; any suggestions? (I usually wear my hair in a ponytail)
Definitely not stylish, but when I'm hiking, I wear hats from one of the local Chinese stores: broad front brim, vented fabric top, with a fabric back that will cover a bun and your neck. Sometimes you can find similar things at outdoor equipment stores, only 5 times as expensive.

Not a hat, but I wear Pony Scrubs (http://www.blueskyscrubs.com/categories/Scrub-Hats/Scrub-Hats-for-Women/Pony-Collection/) for protection against stuff besides the sun. Sometimes you just need to make the statement that you just don't care enough to dress to meet other's expectations.

Arfed
May 19th, 2013, 12:36 AM
Hmm, buffs look alright :) pretty much like bandana's (good for your neck too, and probably for keeping wisps out of my face). Not sure what I think of bandana-type look though, but shouldn't really let myself be self-conscious over it.

I almost want to say to go to some sort of store that has a TON of hats and try ones you like on to see what works best. Bring a girl with you too for an opinion on what ones look really great. It seems sort of hard to really recommend a specific hat to someone when we don't know anything about them/their looks/etc..
Yea will do this, but am awfully bad at buying stuff and deciding at the time what looks good or what I like (usually end up changing my mind on stuff or being overly conscious about it), so will gather a few ideas here first :)

I want to get back doing climbing again (and probably hiking too), so those scrubs look like they'd be good for keeping my hair up and contained, especially with a climbing helmet.

Good suggestions everyone, thanks :) I'm curious about brimmed hats as well, that may be good for partially protecting face and/or neck?

GrowingOut
May 19th, 2013, 05:21 AM
Vietnamese Non La? Those conical rice paddy hats?

Arfed
May 19th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Hehe, the Raiden look :p That probably is actually the best for sun protection, though don't think I could pull it off ;)

I've ordered a couple hats there, and will get one of those Buffs; thanks for the suggestions!