PDA

View Full Version : Chlorine Thread

GrowingOut
May 18th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Hello Netizen's of LHC!

Summer is quickly approaching, which means many of us will be going swimming!

Share any hair-saving tips or hairstyles here, and how to prevent tangles in the pool!

AMD
May 18th, 2013, 12:02 PM
I braid my hair, then wet it with tap water and put it under a cap before swimming. I also use a swim shampoo-- ultra swim. I'm not yet sure how often I'll shampoo as I only do it once a week now

gazelle
May 18th, 2013, 11:18 PM
I use a swimming cap. I regularly oil my hair, but put a little more oil to be able to make all my hair in the swimming cap. With dry hair I can't

Natalia
May 19th, 2013, 02:28 AM
I dont swim in chlorine aggrivates my eczema too much but i remember reading about using asprin to deter the green tinge, dont remember the dillution though. Mostly ive read abut coating har in oil or condish prior to swimming. Or even soaking in distilled water to prevent absorbing chlorine. Good luck all!

cathair
May 19th, 2013, 04:53 AM
When I have been swimming lately, I have been saturating my hair with conditioner then wapping a silicone swimming hat over the top (apparently conditioner rots latex swimming hats). The conditioner has EDTA in it as well, which I believe is the main chelating ingredient in swimming shampoo. This seems to be working out quite well. My hair is definitely still saturated with conditioner when I get out, even if some has come off.

My hair isn't super long, somewhere around waist-ish, but I regret not getting the swimming hat for long hair. It's really hard to get the normal one on, even if I don't use anything to tie up my hair. Maybe I have a big head! The conditioner makes it harder, you can slide it straight over you head and miss! I started putting the swimming hat on at home before I go swimming and putting a normal hat over my swimming hat till I get to the pool. It avoids the whole conditioner-hat battle in public ;)

After I get out I rinse the conditioner out, shampoo with sulphate free shampoo and condition with normal conditioner rather than the EDTA one, so I guess it is almost like a CWC. My hair seems very happy and doesn't smell at all of chlorine, so I hope that is minimizing any damage :) I haven't been using swimmer's shampoo, just because it has been so hard to find any around here. Only Boots seem to sell their own brand and it gets terrible reviews since they changed the formulation.

gazelle
May 20th, 2013, 04:43 AM
I have very hard times when wearing the swimming cap, too. But I beileve it is a must have for hair health. Because I tried saturating my hair with water, oil etc without wearing the cap. It ended with dry and tangly hair for me, the tangles were awful