PDA

View Full Version : My Hair Saga (or why I should listen to my husband) - with pics!

long.again
May 17th, 2013, 09:59 PM
Have you all seen that mermaid ombré dye effect? The top is your natural color but the ends ombré (or gradually change) to tones of the ocean (blues, greens, purples maybe). I love the look but I didn't want to do it because I'm a natural honey blonde and I didn't want anything to stain my hair. Plus, I didn't want to damage it, especially at the fragile ends. Well, several weeks back I saw that there was this new hair dye product out that was basically pigment mixed with conditioner. It was supposed to wash out in 1-3 washed and, online, most reviews said that the pigment really didn't show and it wasn't permanent enough. PERFECT, I thought, I can do the mermaid effect without commitment. My husband told me not to do it. He said I take great care of my hair and that I'd regret it. But I did it anyways.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/phoenix0909/hair/1e00fe20-2658-4a58-92dd-8ca142f021fc.jpg

Oooo. Fun. It looked okay. And the color faded quickly. After 6 weeks though, I was ready for it to be gone. Unfortunately, the green stained my hair (duh) and I had that swimmers hair look... kind of a day-glow green on the ends.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/phoenix0909/hair/0ab8b575-0628-4f9a-8ad1-ffad836d9b9e.jpg

That picture doesn't do it justice. So what do you think I decided to do? I dyed those ends with a box dye.
Well, because my hair is virgin hair and naturally sun bleached, the dye took differently in different areas. The last 2-3 inches were dark mossy green. Above that, a 2 inch horizontal band of an ashy blonde and above that another darker horizontal band. Then it was my natural golden blonde resulting in still another horizontal line. I was devastated. Bawling my eyes out. And the whole time I knew my husband was going to be ticked because he told me not to mess with it.
He was so supportive though, and just as concerned that I was going to have to chop it off to salvage it. I ended up clarifying with Prell and HOT water, adding a ton of conditioner and sleeping in a bun. The next morning I washed and dried it and it did look better than the night before but still green and not my normal at all. My husband said, "It's not too noticeable, it just looks really dirty." Great, that definitely not the look I was going for.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/phoenix0909/hair/64f9824e-bb7f-4c51-a5e3-3e8b7f35887c.jpg

I knew I had to go in to a salon and get it fixed. The more I messed with it the more I was risking losing length. Ensue, hair stylist anxiety... Wash she going to want to chop it off? Would she tell me that thin hair should be kept short? Would she tell me that hair needs to be cut every 6 weeks? Would she want to change my whole head?
Turns out, through recommendations, I happened to get the most amazing stylist who did a perfect job and did everything I have learned from THC. She even said "I'm just going to dust the ends" when she trimmed it. *swoon* The end result is amazing and closer to my natural hair than I ever thought possible.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/phoenix0909/hair/34511e5a-a6c5-43cc-be8e-c1c71836fef5.jpg

You'd never know that, just hours earlier, I was crying my eyes out in my bathroom over my ruined hair. Please someone slap me if I ever decide to dye it or cut it. Never again.

Kaelee
May 17th, 2013, 10:17 PM
Wow, your stylist did a great job!!! Definitely baby it from here on out, it sounds like that could have caused some damage. It looks great though!!!!! Really glad it worked out for you!

icallitbliss
May 17th, 2013, 11:03 PM
Wow, yeah, I would have been freaked out too! Glad you got an amazing stylist to fix it. :) Your hair looks great and you can hardly tell that it got cut.

Soltimus
May 18th, 2013, 04:34 AM
She did such a nice job! I'm glad you didn't have to cut it. That would've been such a shame when your hair is so long and healthy.

lazuliblue
May 18th, 2013, 04:37 AM
Glad you got your hair sorted out :) I STILL have part of my hair that is green from where I dyed it blue with Manic Panic...which is only supposed to last 6-8 weeks. Well, it's been over a year and the only way that colour is coming out is by me cutting it out when my hair is long enough!

Suze2012
May 18th, 2013, 04:53 AM
She has done a great job!

That sounds like nasty stuff! Best avoided and the damage really shows up in the earlier photos.

I think I'd be doing a few reviews of that stuff on various sites in the hope others avoid using it.

bo-peep
May 18th, 2013, 06:46 AM
You got SO lucky!!! Your hair survived AND you found a great stylist!

Your hair looks wonderful!

dwell_in_safety
May 18th, 2013, 08:58 AM
That stylist is a keeper! Really glad you were able to get it fixed; you have beautiful hair.

jacqueline101
May 18th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Your hair turned out great.

meteor
May 18th, 2013, 12:40 PM
Wow! Great color and great hair! :) And congratulations on finding the perfect stylist!
Don't forget to baby those ends from now on. The damage from dye often takes a while to show, so you'll benefit from a proactive approach.

AnnaB
May 18th, 2013, 01:02 PM
ah I'm glad you managed to sort it out! We all learn from our mistakes, so for you no more messing with the hair. I learn my lesson the hard way too when I went blonde. never again.

PixieKitten
May 18th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Wow, it looks great now! You'd never think it had a green tinge a few hours before! Remember the name of that stylist for next time!

lunalocks
May 18th, 2013, 02:00 PM
Your stylist did a great job! I just PMed to you find out her name.

shutterpillar
May 18th, 2013, 04:36 PM
It looks great!

I am too familiar with bawling my eyes out over hair color. Before I joined here, I had the bright idea to use Splat color on my hair. Purple streaks is what I was going for. At first I wasn't going to use the bleach, but then I decided that I really wanted a bright purple, so I said screw it and did it anyway. *facepalm*
Well, the top of my hair took the bleach and made a really bright yellow color, but it slowly faded to a nasty orange the further down the strands it went. So having never dealt with bleach before, I thought surely if I put the purple over top of it it wouldn't look that bad.
HA.
The purple did not take to my roots. I had about 2 inches of yellow hair, then a nasty orangey purple the rest of the way down. I cried and cried for about 3 hours straight. It looked DISASTROUS. I am not even exaggerating. I took myself to the salon the next day and had it fixed (where they also had a hard time getting the purple color to stick to my hair, so I underwent about 3 dyes/washes/sitting under the heater thing/dye swaps before it finally took.) My hair has been in horrible shape ever since. :( Thankfully, I think I am about 4 inches away from getting rid of that damage finally.

All that to say I sympathize. :blossom:

palaeoqueen
May 19th, 2013, 03:12 PM
Your hair looks great. I don't understand what the stylist did though, did she dye it?

Alexblue
May 19th, 2013, 10:10 PM
Three cheers for great stylists!

Your hair looks beautiful

Micayla47
May 20th, 2013, 10:35 AM
hold onto that stylist! your hair color is perfect. and good for you that you're keeping the length!

Angelica
May 20th, 2013, 03:28 PM
I love a happy ending! You are so lucky to have found such a great hairdresser. Your hair is lovely :)