PDA

View Full Version : Damaged, or just frizzy wavy hair? (Pic heavy)

icallitbliss
May 17th, 2013, 08:48 PM
My hair is a disaster when I let it air dry lately. So frizzy beyond belief. At first I kept thinking it was just how my waves form, but there's something not right about how my hair looks. Like, is this what wavy hair is supposed to look like?? My hair has only recently turned wavy in the past few years and I've always just kept it super short or just up in a ponytail, cause I never knew how to manage the change.

I put bleach on it, and while it looked fine the first time around (October 2012), the second round a few months later (March 2013) might have killed it? Here's some pictures to judge the situation. They were taken today:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f90/icallitbliss/photo98_zps0a30c3f3.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f90/icallitbliss/photowhatever5_zps1db357cd.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f90/icallitbliss/photowhatever3_zps8491ba76.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f90/icallitbliss/photowhatever4_zps1357fa90.jpg

The last two pictures my mom just took and we both noticed the demarcation line of what looks like bleach damage. So...I guess this means I'm not crazy, right? I'm hoping once I grow the damage out my waves will actually look pleasant? Or do I just naturally have this much frizz anyway? :confused: And these pictures today were even after I washed it and put a deep conditioner on it for 20 minutes. I know I'll probably have to chop, and I'm going in for a trim on Wednesday, but I wanna keep growing, too. Meh.

hafattack
May 17th, 2013, 08:58 PM
You seem to be right about the demarcation line. My hair seems very tangle prone to a line as well and I think it is old dye damage. I think once you get it off it will be surprisingly soft and manageable. (I am not an expert.. looking forward to others' replies!)

icallitbliss
May 17th, 2013, 10:01 PM
You seem to be right about the demarcation line. My hair seems very tangle prone to a line as well and I think it is old dye damage. I think once you get it off it will be surprisingly soft and manageable. (I am not an expert.. looking forward to others' replies!)

I'm trying to grow out to BSL, but I think I won't get there as fast as I thought, especially if I'm gonna have to do frequent trims. Because going out in public like this is embarrassing. I guess I'll just wear it up. I'm trying to stay away from heat styling too, but I might end up having to blow dry or flat iron so I won't scare anyone with my horrible hair. Though it might make the situation worse...

One thing I'm NOT gonna do is cut it all off again and do the pixie thing. I've learned my lesson. I'd rather have damaged length than practically no hair at all. Having short hair feels wonderful, but the growing out process is positively painful.

11eleven
May 17th, 2013, 10:32 PM
Try over night oiling. I used coconut oil on bleached damaged hair and after a time it did wonders on allowingre to keep my length

Kaelee
May 17th, 2013, 10:49 PM
You're not brushing it are you? The reason I ask is, it really looks like it's been brushed and when you brush curls they go haywire!

I'm not sure if the line is damage or just where your waves start (I've seen lots of curly haired girls and guys where the curls start partway down the head, I think it's a certain hairtype that does that.)

Overnight oiling is a good idea. Is your hair stretchy or brittle? You might need more protein, or more moisture.

icallitbliss
May 17th, 2013, 11:10 PM
You're not brushing it are you? The reason I ask is, it really looks like it's been brushed and when you brush curls they go haywire!

I'm not sure if the line is damage or just where your waves start (I've seen lots of curly haired girls and guys where the curls start partway down the head, I think it's a certain hairtype that does that.)

Overnight oiling is a good idea. Is your hair stretchy or brittle? You might need more protein, or more moisture.

Admittedly I do brush; I know you're not supposed to brush wavy hair, but when I try different methods like scrunching with gel, my hair just kinda mats up and doesn't want to cooperate. Some parts get more wavy, other parts stay kinda straight. It ends up looking crunchy and messy. It's just my hair seems to tangle a lot no matter what I do. When I leave it alone, it still looks frizzy like that. I'll try using my wide toothed comb and see if it makes a difference, though. It's what I bought it for!

Kind of a conundrum! But when I run my hands down my hair the top part feels shiny and smooth, and where the waves start and that supposed demarcation line, it's all frizzy, rough, dry, brittle, etc.

Suze2012
May 18th, 2013, 03:59 AM
If it has been bleached twice in six months it will be dry.
With waves and curls they bounce up when they are moisturised enough so this will be why when you try to scrunch some takes it and some doesn't.
My hair used to be the same kind of texture as yours years ago so I do understand your frustration. As mine grew it became curlier over the years and I now have waves, curls and ringlets too.

Definitely don't brush it and go for that comb but I would comb as little as possible if I were you.
I don't use either and just fingercomb mine but mine is way curlier now than yours is.

It's gonna need some babying and I agree with Kaelee about overnight oiling as it really helps. I would do this about once a week at the moment to give your hair a boost.

I'm not all that hot on when hair needs protein but I 'think' it's something that is good for dyed hair.. I'm sure someone will come along and confirm that..from what i know but i would think a protein treatment once a month would also help.

I'd stay away from any heat just now and don't frazzle it more by straightening it. Just let it air dry.

Something else you could try is conditioner only washing - for me it has greatly improved the moisture content of my hair and I now rarely need overnight oilings.

Also, I don't think it looks as bad as you think it does so I would let it grow and just see how it gets on as it can be helped and feel liveable with. Mine was dried out and frazzled and much frizzier than yours is a year ago and I did have some colour growing out plus mine always gets lightened by the sun.

Give it some lovin'! :)

HollyG
May 18th, 2013, 04:40 AM
My hair is a lot like that but APL. It usually goes like that after a brush it or if i'm in a rush and have to use a hair dryer, recently my hair has been going wavy (largely since i started using tea tree alberto balsam) and now when i get out of the shower i leave it - don't even comb/brush it and i get decent waves, it's when i brush it, it goes like that so i'm not using a brush so much any more and my hair's relaxing more.
Washing my hair at night i don't comb it until the morning now, if i brush it, it goes wavy again once the wind has got to it a little

arcane
May 18th, 2013, 05:37 AM
I'm going to echo try moisturizing, protein, no brushing advice. Also really try to avoid heat styling to manage the damage as it just causes more. Plus your hair is getting to lengths where you can start doing different updos which may help you feel less blah about it up.

My hair is wavey/curly but bleach damage on my length makes it not curl/wave nicely/conistantly enough yet to make using curly girl methods worth it. So I'm going to suggest you stop the gel (which ifit contains alcohol can dry out your hair more) till you figure out what your length needs to have the moisture/protein balance your hair needs. Try clarifying to see if some of the frizz is build up from the gel, my hair frizzes out on the ends with any amount of build up. It can also help you figure out if you need moisture or protein.

sisi33
May 18th, 2013, 06:59 AM
Yep, use that comb! It'll make a tremendous difference, and don't worry about using a jell cast just yet. Have you tried out SMTs (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128) yet? They should really help with the dryness you're experiencing.

Also, you can continue growing your hair whilst trimming, if you are taking proper care of it, it shouldn't object too much!

Indigostreams
May 18th, 2013, 07:58 AM
Admittedly I do brush; I know you're not supposed to brush wavy hair, but when I try different methods like scrunching with gel, my hair just kinda mats up and doesn't want to cooperate. Some parts get more wavy, other parts stay kinda straight. It ends up looking crunchy and messy. It's just my hair seems to tangle a lot no matter what I do. When I leave it alone, it still looks frizzy like that. I'll try using my wide toothed comb and see if it makes a difference, though. It's what I bought it for!

Kind of a conundrum! But when I run my hands down my hair the top part feels shiny and smooth, and where the waves start and that supposed demarcation line, it's all frizzy, rough, dry, brittle, etc.
We just might be hair twins! What you just described sounds so much like my hair. I also most likely have some bleach damage, which seems to be the frizzier and rougher part of my hair. And my natural roots are soft and smooth, so far. I was wondering if your hair starts off frizzier in the morning, after you wash, and if it gets smoother and softer later on in the day? Because mine does. Usually by the end of the day (unless it's a super humid day) my hair is smoothed down and nice. I don't personally have an answer for you, as I have just begun the journey to healthy hair about a year ago. I'm still trying to figure things out myself. I have a feeling though, that our hair will get nicer if we continue to leave it alone and grow out the dye-damage.

Kaelee
May 18th, 2013, 08:08 AM
I'm not all that hot on when hair needs protein but I 'think' it's something that is good for dyed hair.. I'm sure someone will come along and confirm that..from what i know but i would think a protein treatment once a month would also help.

Bleach damage tends to cause protein loss.

Here is a good article on it: http://blackbeautyblackhair86911.yuku.com/topic/511/t/Hair-Breakage-and-Shedding-101.html#.UWeL9bWUQ0w.

Good luck!

icallitbliss
May 18th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Thanks guys for all the replies!

I just woke up, and now my hair is all wonky because the weather is starting to get warmer and I sweat in my sleep. I was so frustrated that I just brushed it down, but then of course it's frizzy again. What should I have done? I don't want to have to wash my hair all over again just to make it look decent...(not that it looked decent before, but at least it was somewhat more uniform)

icallitbliss
May 18th, 2013, 10:40 AM
We just might be hair twins! What you just described sounds so much like my hair. I also most likely have some bleach damage, which seems to be the frizzier and rougher part of my hair. And my natural roots are soft and smooth, so far. I was wondering if your hair starts off frizzier in the morning, after you wash, and if it gets smoother and softer later on in the day? Because mine does. Usually by the end of the day (unless it's a super humid day) my hair is smoothed down and nice. I don't personally have an answer for you, as I have just begun the journey to healthy hair about a year ago. I'm still trying to figure things out myself. I have a feeling though, that our hair will get nicer if we continue to leave it alone and grow out the dye-damage.

Yay, hair twins! :D I never meet anyone who has my hair. I feel less alone in the world, hehe. But yeah, I think my hair might get smoothed down a little at the end of the day, but I'm not sure. It's so frustrating cause my hair is so static-y with frizz, and all I wanna do is blowdry and flat iron to make it stop. I know that's not the answer, but this is just bad. I'm definitely gonna be growing out my dye/bleach damage. Hopefully little trims every two to three months won't hurt my growth much?

I'll try a few of everyone's suggestions to see if it helps any.

Seeshami
May 18th, 2013, 11:08 AM
I am another vote for moisture. :flower:

meteor
May 18th, 2013, 12:18 PM
I feel your pain: when hair is frizzy and unruly, there's a big temptation to blow-dry or flat-iron or wash again. But please, please don't. Since you want to grow out your hair without cutting, you need to baby those ends like crazy. If you can't stand the look, find a hair-do that will keep those ends tucked out of the way. And before you tuck those ends away, oil them religiously.

All the suggestions about oiling, moisture and protein (to help with the chemical damage) are spot on. But the most important advice might be not to use a brush on those ends (finger-comb or comb instead).

Great color, by the way! :) I'm sure your hair will look absolutely amazing when it's long. :)

ravenreed
May 18th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Looks like my wavy hair when I use SLS shampoos and brush when its dry. Shampoo makes my hair crazy frizzy. That is one reason I like CO so much.

ravenreed
May 18th, 2013, 01:17 PM
I used dyes for years that lifted my hair color and it still hated protein. It is a tricky thing.

Bleach damage tends to cause protein loss.

Here is a good article on it: http://blackbeautyblackhair86911.yuku.com/topic/511/t/Hair-Breakage-and-Shedding-101.html#.UWeL9bWUQ0w.

Good luck!

nobeltonya
May 18th, 2013, 01:24 PM
When my hair was that length, I used to keep it up in a [wet] messy bun all day. Of course, I did [and still do] wash every morning.. but maybe nightly oiling, using a leave-in. Definitely don't brush. If your ends are that dry, try combing with your wide-tooth comb wet, either after washing or just wet it and comb it. Comb from bottom up. Micro-trim to slowly remove the damage but still keep your length. Even now, I notice that my hair is more frizzy lately when I air dry down [now that it's warmer]. I generally either braid it or wet bun for several hours. :disco:

Firefox7275
May 20th, 2013, 02:55 AM
I killed my hair with box dyes and constant ponytails, I had poufy totally unmanageable highly porous kinks and waves until I went Curly Girl. The first week of co-washing instead of shampooing my hair calmed down massively, two years on my hair is so much healthier it's ridiculous ... and I still dye. Scrunching in gel is not for everyone, but particularly not if you are applying it over hair that is poorly moisturised/ conditioned, I need loads of conditioner underneath because my hair is porous. Not all gels set hard - eg. those high in humectants like propylene glycol, aloe vera, flaxseed or okra gel - even if they do you just scrunch out the crunch when you hair is bone dry.

Highly recommend coconut oil and honey soaks and throwing away your brush! Be sure you are deep conditioning with products that can actually absorb and improve the health of hair with regular use, most commercial ones just give you a dose of silicones.

chen bao jun
May 20th, 2013, 08:01 AM
Try an SMT and also leaving it up. Try not to wear it down for about a month and see what happens

jacqueline101
May 20th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Oil it coconut oil and put a leave in conditioner on it. I'd recommend a pick comb for your hair.

McFearless
May 20th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Don't flat iron or blow dry it! No more bleaching either. You said so yourself that your hair is very sensitive and fragile so it is best to be very gentle with it as you grow out damage. Heat styling will only put you further back and exacerbate your issues. Try combing your hair rather than brushing it to encourage a uniform texture and just leave it be. Tie it up too.

You are quite harsh on yourself. I promise that it looks much better than you believe. Your hair looks naturally very soft and the colour is beautiful. Give it the time and length it needs to sort itself out. Length will only improve your waves and have them lay better. You've been very encouraging to me in the super shorty thread and I wish you the best. Keep your long hair goals in mind and don't give up! You grew out a pixie in record time, you can do this!

Vivalagina
May 20th, 2013, 12:30 PM
I use a tangle teezer on my wavy hair, and I consider that brushing. My hair mats like crazy if I just use a wide tooth comb.

When my hair was shoulder length, I loved doing a french braid headband. I'd then brush the rest and then gently scrunch water and some leave-in conditioner into the rest of my hair. It's a great balance between keeping your waves out of your face but also making the wonkiness of the waves look playful instead of crazy. I do this a lot even now that I'm close to BSL because I also have bleach damage around my face that I am still growing out.

Big thumbs up to CO-washing. Just conditioner tended to weigh down my waves, but I've been using As I Am coconut co-wash with great success recently.