PDA

View Full Version : Cold wash Cold rinse?

Fluffy01
May 17th, 2013, 06:13 PM
How many of you do this? Or do you do just a cold rinse? Or no cold at all? I've tried cold wash and rinse....i didn't see much improvement after a week.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 17th, 2013, 06:46 PM
I couldn't bear to do a cold wash as well as a cold rinse, and I only cold rinse occasionally. Personally I think a warm rinse (not hot) is just as good and when I have done cold rinses I haven't noticed any difference in my hair - so I would rather be comfortable rather than frozen and do a warm rinse.

YesitsReal
May 17th, 2013, 07:18 PM
My scalp HATES cold wash/cold rinse. I have seborrheic dermatitis, and that method makes my scalp go nuts for whatever reason. My hair, however, likes lower temperatures. So I compromise, washing in warm or lukewarm water (depending on the time of year :p) and rinsing out my conditioner with cool water. Then I put my hair up with a clip and crank up the heat for the rest of the shower. My hair is not quite as happy this way, but at least my scalp stays under control.

jeanniet
May 17th, 2013, 07:37 PM
I don't care what it might do for my hair, I draw the line at cold water. The lowest I'll go is warm, when I do my final citric acid rinse, and even then I have the shower turned up so hot water is hitting my body while I dump warm water on my head. But I don't take super hot showers anyway.

pelicano
May 18th, 2013, 04:07 AM
I've done this a few times. My hair felt awful when it was wet, but it dried better. I can't bear to do it for such a small gain though! Brrr!!!

Springlets
May 18th, 2013, 07:24 AM
Well I guess I'm the only one, but my hair loves cold water! Granted, I've only been able to do it recently since the hot sweltering summer heat has started, but I and my hair have really enjoyed the cool water these last few times. My hair feels smoother with it.

Ahl
May 18th, 2013, 07:24 AM
I tend to ready the final cold water rinse in a measuring jug along with some ACV before I've even gotten into the shower. Cleanse and rinse as 'normal.' Just as I'm about to get out of the shower (the shower's actually off at this point) I flip my hair over, gather it into a "handheld ponytail" of sorts, dunk the length into the jug for several seconds, then pour it over the rest of my head... let it drip a mo... squeeze out the excess and pile my hair up on my head with one hand, straighten up and get out, then put it up in a microfibre turban before I even go for the regular towel so I don't get a cold shock anywhere other than my scalp at any point. Don't think I could stand the routine if I had to endure a full-body cold rinse just to get my hair, or even just get a really cold slap of hair on the back!

HollyG
May 18th, 2013, 09:21 AM
I don't really do either. I always wash my hair in the shower due to tangling and can't stand the idea of having the cold water going down my back, depending on my mood though i will sometimes turn the cool water up a little (so i can still cope with it going down my back) but i haven't done it for a while and my hair is actually getting really wavy now (from almost straight) although i'm not too sure if that's a shampoo/conditioner change.

starlamelissa
June 15th, 2013, 07:50 PM
I wash my body with lukewarm water, hair too. I used to always take burning hot showers, but found that to mess up my skin and scalp in the frigid winter, so I switched to just warm enough showers...not hot, not cold.

I have noticed less dryness in my hair, as an unexpected side benefit. I wouldn't use all cold, as soaps and detergents work better in warm water.

HylianGirl
June 15th, 2013, 07:57 PM
I wash my hair with cold water during summer, but I can't stand it during winter! Lukewarm water it is, and a hot body rinse before I leave the shower, I avoid getting hot water on my hair though.

dwell_in_safety
June 15th, 2013, 08:38 PM
I've washed my hair with only cold water for just about a year now. It's easy because I bend forward with my hair flipped over so the cold water doesn't touch my body, only my hair and scalp. :) I always bathe in warm to hot water after my hair is washed in the shower, just to bring my temp back up especially in winter. Cold water + ACV rinses help my hairs natural low porosity to stay that way.

Annibelle
June 15th, 2013, 10:29 PM
I always wash warm because it gets my hair cleaner, but I'll occasionally rinse cool. It doesn't seem to make a difference, though. :/ My first month at LHC, I rinsed COLD after every wash, and I saw no improvement whatsoever, so I quit trying that.

Natalia
June 16th, 2013, 12:36 AM
When i was S&C or CO i didnt notice a very big differance with a cold rinse so i didnt do it often now that im WO it makes a HUGE differance. I dont go super cold, my body gets evil if i subject it to sudden temp changes but cool enough. If i wash or rinse is warm or hot water i have lank, tangly, uncoperative hair.

LadyCelestina
June 16th, 2013, 01:32 AM
Cold-cold water makes my hair go nuts for some reason,it gets rough and tangled.Lukewarm to as hot as I can stand make it feel much better.

jacqueline101
June 16th, 2013, 06:19 AM
I do cool not cold.

faellen
June 16th, 2013, 06:41 AM
I used to do a cold rinse but stopped, it's too uncomfortable. And I never noticed any difference it made to my hair!

melusine963
June 17th, 2013, 12:07 PM
I do a cool rinse to finish off. Now that the weather is so warm it's actually very pleasant. :)

PrincessIdril
June 17th, 2013, 12:19 PM
I do a cold rinse.
But that is because I wash my hair in the bath and I like to give my hair a final rinse when I'm done in there just to make sure I've got all the soap etc. out of my hair. The only reason the rinse is cold is because I've usually used all the hot water already! lol

Vivalagina
June 17th, 2013, 12:38 PM
I use cool water to rinse out my detangler most of the time. But during the cold winter months? Not gonna happen.

spidermom
June 17th, 2013, 12:53 PM
I'm pretty sure that modern products are formulated to work best with warm water.

QMacrocarpa
June 17th, 2013, 04:18 PM
I used to sometimes use a room-temperature ACV rinse after (warm) S&C, but honestly I didn't find that it made a positive difference that I could notice, and I really like a simple, benign-neglect routine, so I cut out that extra step.

sumidha
June 17th, 2013, 06:20 PM
I keep the water pretty lukewarm when washing, but mostly because hot water + shampoo irritates my scalp, and try to do a quick coolish rinse at the end to get vinegar out, but straight cold water is too much for me!

alexis917
June 17th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Some people swear by it, but I love hot showers.
So additional shine or not, I just don't feel like it's worth the discomfort when there are other things that work for me!

phabieau
June 17th, 2013, 09:18 PM
I rinse my hair in cool water; I've been doing this for months and I feel like it seals in the conditioner and my hair isn't as easily damaged while it's drying. My hair and skin need a lot of moisture and hot water sucks it out. I wash my face in cold water. And then moisturize. It's what works for me.

The-Young-Maid
June 17th, 2013, 10:02 PM
I do a cool rinse once in a while but I never really see a difference. :shrug:

hairhair
June 17th, 2013, 10:29 PM
Personally, I can't stand to cold rinse (especially in winter!) unless my hair is long enough that it can sort of "hang" back and not drip cold water onto my body. Also, DO NOT hold your head back like this if you have any balance problems; you might slip. And don't go up on your toes trying to arch your neck back either! :) Be careful.

10000days
June 17th, 2013, 10:29 PM
I rinse my hair in cool water; I've been doing this for months and I feel like it seals in the conditioner and my hair isn't as easily damaged while it's drying. My hair and skin need a lot of moisture and hot water sucks it out. I wash my face in cold water. And then moisturize. It's what works for me.

Exactly the same for me; both for hair and skin dryness.
After I've showered, I actually step out of the shower with conditioner in my hair and rinse it off with a handheld nozzle at the sink. That way I can use icy old water without getting cold.

The-Young-Maid
June 17th, 2013, 10:34 PM
hrm... Now I'm thinking I should try this again my next wash.;)

Bagginslover
June 18th, 2013, 04:28 AM
I shampoo and condition with hot water (I LOVE hot showers!) but my vinegar rinse is cold, and I turn the shower heat right down to luke warm to rinse it out. My hair seems happy with that :)

Sham
June 18th, 2013, 04:39 AM
I wash my face with cold water as it's less drying. I do a cool rinse after I wash my hair and I can't really notice any difference on the length but my scalp feels happier!

lapushka
June 18th, 2013, 05:20 AM
No cold - at all! And I never had any issues with both hair or skin because of it.

knux
June 20th, 2013, 10:56 AM
I haven't really paid enough attention to the ends of my hair to notice if this makes a big difference to them, but if I use icy water on my scalp (and consequently on my ends, as well as most of my body) I can go longer without having to wash my hair again. So to me, it's worth it. Plus it is great for circulation, increases metabolism and my nurse mother-in-law insists that it strengthens the immune system. So a 30 second shot of icy water everywhere is my routine, I figure if my body is healthy, my hair will be too.

FrozenBritannia
June 20th, 2013, 01:29 PM
I cannot handle cold water in the shower unless it is very hot outside. I tried to do a hot than cold method, but it gave me heart palpitations so I never did it again. I have on occasion washed my hair in glacier water camping (just the hair) and it was amazingly soft after, that may have been more to do with the lack of chemicals though. :shrug: