PDA

View Full Version : Tall girl= short hair?

prettyhairisred
May 17th, 2013, 03:41 PM
I just recently measured me and my friends hair for a science project. We have the exact same length of hair, but as she's short, and her's is almost waistlength while mine is only bra strap length on me! It's unfair, as everyone always measures the length of hair by markers like waist or hip. Like they go "I saw beautiful classic length hair today!' For my hair to get to waist it'll need to be at least 5 inches longer than my friends. But she's already there, and will likely outgrow me to hip as she has less distance to grow. Haha, she's sort of cheating by being so small! So my question to you is, do you guys notice the length of hair, or only where it is on the body? Like would you notice long hair if it was only bsl on someones tall body? I see so many girls saying their hairs so long as its bra stap length ect, but they're only 5 feet tall so their hair actually isn't that long to reach those places. I notice it, so I was just wondering if anyone else did either? Any other giants want to vent with me? I love hip length haïr, but I have so many inces to go! #tallgirlproblems I guess

PolarCathy
May 17th, 2013, 03:44 PM
I'm six feet tall and everything if mine is longer, even my neck when I compare with others. My hair would be at least hip length on pretty much anyone around me while it's barely past bsl on me. So what?

Annibelle
May 17th, 2013, 03:54 PM
I always notice hair based on those markers, too, but TBH, whenever I see someone really tall with hip-length or longer hair, it is soooo stunning!

And my hair is super-cheater, because I'm only 5'3" AND I am very short-waisted! :lol: If I remember correctly, waist-length is only 30" on me...

PolarCathy
May 17th, 2013, 03:56 PM
You sure? Because it's 32-33 on me and I'm not short-waisted by any means.

I always notice hair based on those markers, too, but TBH, whenever I see someone really tall with hip-length or longer hair, it is soooo stunning!

And my hair is super-cheater, because I'm only 5'3" AND I am very short-waisted! :lol: If I remember correctly, waist-length is only 30" on me...

leslissocool
May 17th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Waist length is 30 inches for me too and I'm 5'1! And I have a high waist.

Now hip is 5 inches more, and tailbone is 10 inches from waist for me. I have a tiny butt :rollin: but yeah, my friend who's 5'7 had the same waist measure as me for hair. I have small shoulders.... I'm petite.

zift
May 17th, 2013, 04:08 PM
Being tall might be a disadvantage in hair-lengthwise but it has some advantages too you know:) Think positive, hair will grow eventually but people don't grow any taller(unless they're young ofcourse). :)

PolarCathy
May 17th, 2013, 04:11 PM
Then I'll re-measure because probably that's why I'm never hitting waist, maybe it's not 33". :rollin:
And I have the longest back in the world so I don't get it

Sarahlabyrinth
May 17th, 2013, 04:14 PM
I'm 5'10" and waist is 33" on me. Classic is 44".

Prettyhairisred, out of curiosity, what is the science project?

PolarCathy
May 17th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Tell me just one please, because I don't know of a single advantage of being tall. Seriously. I'd love to see it in a more positive light. Examples: I can't wear any shoes I want. They must be flat. Completely flat heels. In weightlifting I have longer lever arms in every freaking exercise. When I do a chin-up I pull myself up along a much longer path than shorter folks, making it a much harder exercise or me. All clothes are short in the waist, and in the arms. On top if that my hair is so short. :rollin:

Being tall might be a disadvantage in hair-lengthwise but it has some advantages too you know:) Think positive, hair will grow eventually but people don't grow any taller(unless they're young ofcourse). :)

Thinthondiel
May 17th, 2013, 04:21 PM
I mostly notice the length of the hair in relation to total height... that being said, hip on tall person does look more impressive than hip on a short person.

Thinthondiel
May 17th, 2013, 04:26 PM
Tell me just one please, because I don't know of a single advantage of being tall. Seriously. I'd love to see it in a more positive light. Examples: I can't wear any shoes I want. They must be flat. Completely flat heels. In weightlifting I have longer lever arms in every freaking exercise. When I do a chin-up I pull myself up along a much longer path than shorter folks, making it a much harder exercise or me. All clothes are short in the waist, and in the arms. On top if that my hair is so short. :rollin:

You can reach things on high shelves in stores.

I don't care so much when I can't reach stuff at home, because I can always just stand on a chair, but I hate not being able to reach something in a store. Especially as I'm not the type of person to walk up to a total stranger and ask them if they can get it down for me.

I also hate those racks of clothes in clothes shops that I can almost reach, but not quite. I don't like getting the people who work there to get the clothes down for me, because I don't want to get their attention. I don't want them to come and talk to me about the clothes and try to push stuff on me. When I can't reach the clothes myself, I'll just walk out of there.

ETA: Trying on pants is no fun when you're short. The shortest ones I can find are always just a bit too long for me, and I'm not even as short as some of my friends. Maybe it gets hard to find pants when you're very tall as well, though? I don't know. I just get the impression that all pants are made for tall people since I have such a hard time finding any that fit me.

PolarCathy
May 17th, 2013, 04:29 PM
Semi-valid. :) I can reach them, yes, unfortunately if it's clothes, 99.9% of them will be short anyway. :rollin:

Actually I can think if one. Pregnancy. I will have enough room for the baby. But this is about the only one :)

I don't care so much when I can't reach stuff at home, because I can always just stand on a chair, but I hate not being able to reach something in a store. Especially as I'm not the type of person to walk up to a total stranger and ask them if they can get it down for me.

I also hate those racks of clothes in clothes shops that I can almost reach, but not quite. I don't like getting the people who work there to get the clothes down for me, because I don't want to get their attention. I don't want them to come and talk to me about the clothes and try to push stuff on me. When I can't reach the clothes myself, I'll just walk out of there.

Egana
May 17th, 2013, 04:30 PM
I mostly notice the length, or the style, or the "happiness" of the person - you know, the person who walks around happy with him or herself, enjoying life. That happy person is beautiful to me, no matter what body type or facial features, or hair length or type.

I have also seen very long hair that looked miserable - and the face and body language of the person expressed their misery. Long hair does not always equal beauty.

heidi w.
May 17th, 2013, 04:35 PM
I'm extremely short. 5'1" in total. 61 inches. That's it. So, I don't care much about the body. In the end, know this much. You'll end up with longer hair measurement wise compared to the shorties out there.
heidi w.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 17th, 2013, 04:38 PM
Semi-valid. :) I can reach them, yes, unfortunately if it's clothes, 99.9% of them will be short anyway. :rollin:

Actually I can think if one. Pregnancy. I will have enough room for the baby. But this is about the only one :)

And - you can wear high heels to a rock concert and be able to see over everyone's heads :) Though in my case this is not a frequent occurrence.

kaydana
May 17th, 2013, 04:54 PM

You can reach things on shelves in shops. You can reach the handles on public transport so you don't have to fight your way to a pole or fall over. You can use the top shelves in your kitchen. You don't have to call someone every time a bulb blows, and then sit in the dark for days until they have time to come over and change it for you, because you're just a couple of inches too short to change the lightbulb on your own without a ladder.

Maybe you could lend me a couple of inches, then we could both be happy!

lunalocks
May 17th, 2013, 04:59 PM
Tall girl, here. Waist on me about 33 inches. I am at about 36 right now, at hip already, with a foot to go to classic. I'll be happy to make it to TB. (only another 6 inches). I think that long hair on a tall person IS impressive, once it is realized. I demonstrated french braiding to a 10 year old last year and it wasn't until I was more than half way done, and kept braiding, and kept braiding, that she realized just how much hair I had - eyes bugged out - boy! you have a lot of hair, she said.

Yup, hard to find shoes. I am long waisted, so getting pants long enough is not so much of a problem. But dresses that should be 3 inches above knee are pretty short. I guess I am lucky that I am thin. My DD is also tall and very curvy. She has a harder time finding clothes that fit and look good. It is frustrating.

I like it best seeing people eye to eye, but that doesn't happen very often. If I wear heels, I am taller than DH but he doesn't care, even so I am more comfortable in flats. That and a size 9 1/2 wide make shoe shopping a trial. I got the "you must play basketball" line as often as "are you going into modeling?" Guess what, I am too tall for a model, and I hate basketball.

I had an interesting experience recently. I was in a store shopping for a microwave and there was a man there, also shopping, who must have been 7 feet tall, or taller. Several times we were standing next to each other and it felt so strange, odd. I felt SOOOO small. And I realized that this is how people 5 feet tall feel next to 50% of the population. And I had an inkling, for the first time, what it is like to be short, after years and years of wishing I did not stick out like a sore thumb. After years and years of wishing I was petite. After years and years of hearing "I wish I was a tall as you".

We come in all sizes, colors, personalities. Wish we could all celebrate how wonderful we are, regardless of our size, and what we look like.

battles
May 17th, 2013, 04:59 PM

But then you can just climb the shelves! ;)

Kherome
May 17th, 2013, 05:05 PM
6'1" tall, just tickling classic (but SERIOUSLY thinking about a trim back to hip). I LOVE being tall and would never want to be short. Yes it's tougher to find clothes that fit right, but I'll take that over being shorter.

neko_kawaii
May 17th, 2013, 05:19 PM
But then you can just climb the shelves! ;)

Ha! I'm average height and I regularly climb up on the kitchen counter to reach the things stored on top of it or peering into the depths of the top shelf and used to get in trouble for climbing the shelves at work rather than going and finding the ladder. Now I get in trouble from my son if he sees me climbing on the counter. *sigh*

I notice how long hair is on an individual rather than how long it is in inches, but part of that may be my complete lack of skill at estimating spacial dimensions. I think the "what is your length at waist" question is going to vary from person to person for more reasons than simply height. I'm average height but all leg which translates to my waist being at my last rib and then two inches later there is the top of my hip bones. There have been a number of times when someone has posted their hair length, height and body/hair milestones and my jaw drops. Many a time someone has been shorter than me and had much farther to go to reach waist.

Yes, as a tall person you have farther to go to reach most physical markers, but you can do the same updos as others given the same length/thickness ratio regardless of where your length lands on your body.

lunalocks
May 17th, 2013, 05:25 PM
Good for you, Kherome! You have 2 inches on me (height) and a bunch in hair. How long is classic on you, just out of curiosity?

AMD
May 17th, 2013, 06:16 PM
I got the "you must play basketball" line as often as "are you going into modeling?" Guess what, I am too tall for a model, and I hate basketball.

THIS!!! lol

I'm 5 9 ( 5'10 on a good day) and I wear a 9.5 shoe as well. It helps to live in a major city (shopping options), but I get those lines too often.

It's irritating when I remember that a shorter person would have been to waist length already, but my hair will look that much more impressive at waist length because of the extra inches.

...or so I tell myself :D

prettyhairisred
May 17th, 2013, 06:58 PM
There are a few annoying things non haïr related that come with being talle. For example, sometimes I'm taller than guys I like. Also, I get the 'you could be a model' way to often. Sadly, (for society) I think my size 4 frame would need to slim down a bit for that! :P But I do like my height overall, and wouldnèt change it to make hair look more impresssive

prettyhairisred
May 17th, 2013, 06:59 PM
How do I edit posts? The french keyboard and autocorrect on my computer left that last post full of spelling mistakes!

Annibelle
May 17th, 2013, 08:10 PM
I just checked, and WL is 29" on me. Maybe we're all measuring differently-- I'm doing it where you start at your hairline above your forehead. :hmm:

jacqueline101
May 17th, 2013, 08:47 PM
I'm 5ft7inches I guess I'm in the same boat.

lunalocks
May 17th, 2013, 08:56 PM
prettyhair - touch the Edit post button below your post and you can then edit and save.

seems that waist can be long or short, depending on your individual build. The more fortunate tallies (not me, alas) have long, long legs that make the torso shorter, and quicker to cover with hair. BSL to waist for me took forever. And it will be forever to cover my very "tall" bum.

Carolyn
May 17th, 2013, 09:13 PM
I'm 5'9" and wear a size 10 shoe. I was always the tallest girl in my class in grade school. I was kind of embarrassed about that but after I got to high school I was very happy being tall. I still like it. I'm very thankful I'm not short. Waist is 33" on me, hip is 36", and tailbone is 40". I never measured what classic would be as I never have had a desire to go that long. From my clothing construction and pattern making classes in college, I know that I have an extra 2" in what is called "back waist length" on a dress pattern. I'm glad my legs aren't extra long because I can buy regular length pants. I've never had a problem finding clothes or shoes that fit. The only time I would ever expect it would be if I was buying a dress with a waistline and possibly bust darts. I'm not a big fan of dresses on me generally and if I do buy a dress it doesn't have a waistline.

There are lots of advantages to being tall. I can see over other people's heads. I can look down on people if I want to. I can reach high shelves. I can reach really high went painting a room. I never have to shorten skirts. The having to grow more hair thing doesn't bother me much. It just means when I get to a certain goal I'll have more hair than a short little woman with hair that reaches the same body marker and I'll have a longer braid and better bunability.

Kherome
May 17th, 2013, 11:24 PM
Good for you, Kherome! You have 2 inches on me (height) and a bunch in hair. How long is classic on you, just out of curiosity?

I have no idea. I'll have to check.

ETA seems to be about 44.5"

xoxophelia
May 18th, 2013, 12:49 AM
Waist length is 30 inches for me too and I'm 5'1! And I have a high waist.

Now hip is 5 inches more, and tailbone is 10 inches from waist for me. I have a tiny butt :rollin: but yeah, my friend who's 5'7 had the same waist measure as me for hair. I have small shoulders.... I'm petite.

Weird... your measurements are the exact same as mine...

But I am 5'10" o.o

I always thought my legs weren't all that long... maybe I should rethink that one :S

PolarCathy
May 18th, 2013, 01:56 AM
You can reach things on shelves in shops. You can reach the handles on public transport so you don't have to fight your way to a pole or fall over. You can use the top shelves in your kitchen. You don't have to call someone every time a bulb blows, and then sit in the dark for days until they have time to come over and change it for you, because you're just a couple of inches too short to change the lightbulb on your own without a ladder.

I've never thought of these. Seriously, on public transport I thought exactly that shorties are like tanks, aggressive and I had no idea why. I don't take much public transport here in Sweden and honestly I don't even know how the buses look like, from that perspective (never observed) but in my country there are multiple vertical poles every few meters, plus handles at hip height on the end of each seat, so no reason to act like a tank) And it has never occurred me to think that a light bulb could be a problem.

For me, the problems are more prevalent, rather than the advantages you mentioned :p (but I'll try to think of those more often :p) and they include (not necessarily in this order of importance):
(1) very hard to find taller men
(2) can't find flat enough shoes and long enough clothes -- NOTHING is made for me, most shirts I can wear folded up to elbows ONLY regardless of cut because they all are too short in the arms
(2/a) even knee high boots reach only mid calf on me; when I finally find something that's long enough I buy 3 pairs. Example. This (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=11088&attachmentid=4187) is meant to be knee high...
(3) I have a mechanical disadvantage like I said in pretty much all kinds of training -- which is a huge part of my life -- except maybe running (unfortunately I'm not interested in running anymore :p)
(3/a) my knees almost reach the floor on my pull-up bar that's mounted in the highest possible position in my apartment
(4) hard to maintain eye contact like someone else wrote; I like to be "level" with others
(5) I stand out and I don't necessarily want to (although I stand out because of other characteristics too that I have no influence on, such as very white-bluish white eye whites)
(6) I look even thinner than I am because of how tall I am, while if I get any bigger I will look like a female bouncer
(7) it's uncomfortable to fly, the seats aren't designed for tall people at all, I always take the seats at the emergency exit
(8) it was hard to grow up and not get scoliosis slouching my shoulders every day in an attempt to "blend in"... (<-- this is maybe over by now)
(9) Yeah I've joined this site at APL and I'm still not even close to waist.

I'm sure I could think of some more, but I'll try to find now some positives...*

Maybe you could lend me a couple of inches, then we could both be happy!

:rollin: I wouldn't call myself unhappy :p -- it's not like I'm crying in a corner depressed over how my life s*cks because I'm so tall, but I would MUCH rather be totally average at, for instance, 5'7" - 5'8" (yes I call that average, not tall -- maybe it's a regional thing what's tall what's average, but neither in my home country nor here is 5'8" tall. But that 4" of difference makes me very tall. How weird.).

All-in-all, if I could change one thing about my appearance, that would be my height for sure.

I was always the tallest girl in my class in grade school.

I was the tallest among girls and boys in grade school (co-educated PE classes). All the way up to 13. (grade school in my country is 6-14)

kaydana
May 18th, 2013, 02:42 AM
I've never thought of these. Seriously, on public transport I thought exactly that shorties are like tanks, aggressive and I had no idea why. I don't take much public transport here in Sweden and honestly I don't even know how the buses look like, from that perspective (never observed) but in my country there are multiple vertical poles every few meters, plus handles at hip height on the end of each seat, so no reason to act like a tank) And it has never occurred me to think that a light bulb could be a problem.

For me, the problems are more prevalent, rather than the advantages you mentioned :p (but I'll try to think of those more often :p) and they include (not necessarily in this order of importance):
(1) very hard to find taller men
(2) can't find flat enough shoes and long enough clothes -- NOTHING is made for me, most shirts I can wear folded up to elbows ONLY regardless of cut because they all are too short in the arms
(2/a) even knee high boots reach only mid calf on me; when I finally find something that's long enough I buy 3 pairs. Example. This (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=11088&attachmentid=4187) is meant to be knee high...
(3) I have a mechanical disadvantage like I said in pretty much all kinds of training -- which is a huge part of my life -- except maybe running (unfortunately I'm not interested in running anymore :p)
(3/a) my knees almost reach the floor on my pull-up bar that's mounted in the highest possible position in my apartment
(4) hard to maintain eye contact like someone else wrote; I like to be "level" with others
(5) I stand out and I don't necessarily want to (although I stand out because of other characteristics too that I have no influence on, such as very white-bluish white eye whites)
(6) I look even thinner than I am because of how tall I am, while if I get any bigger I will look like a female bouncer
(7) it's uncomfortable to fly, the seats aren't designed for tall people at all, I always take the seats at the emergency exit
(8) it was hard to grow up and not get scoliosis slouching my shoulders every day in an attempt to "blend in"... (<-- this is maybe over by now)
(9) Yeah I've joined this site at APL and I'm still not even close to waist.

I'm sure I could think of some more, but I'll try to find now some positives...*

Most of those issues exist in reverse for short people, but appearance issues pale into insignificance for me next to the total lack of independence because the world is built for taller people issues. I have to ask people (often total strangers) for help all the time. Maybe I'm just feeling bitter right now because DBF can't get here this weekend, so I'm going to be sat in the dark for another week.

PolarCathy
May 18th, 2013, 02:46 AM
I was just thinking in this very minute, before refreshing the page, what would I say if your next question would be, "if you can't be average, what would you prefer: being (too) short, or (very) tall?"

I'd have to think about that now that I've heard your arguments.

And I'd totally change your bulb but I'm not quite close.

Most of those issues exist in reverse for short people, but appearance issues pale into insignificance for me next to the total lack of independence because the world is built for taller people issues. I have to ask people (often total strangers) for help all the time. Maybe I'm just feeling bitter right now because DBF can't get here this weekend, so I'm going to be sat in the dark for another week.

kaydana
May 18th, 2013, 03:38 AM
I was just thinking in this very minute, before refreshing the page, what would I say if your next question would be, "if you can't be average, what would you prefer: being (too) short, or (very) tall?"

I'd have to think about that now that I've heard your arguments.

And I'd totally change your bulb but I'm not quite close.

Unless you can think of any functional issues besides the training of being very tall, I think I'd take being tall. Eye contact doesn't happen either way, clothes don't fit either way, and I'd much rather look thin (and be able to eat more, as a general rule taller people need more calories) than fat.

PolarCathy
May 18th, 2013, 03:39 AM
Wow I just checked. I have 10cm (4") over my extended arms to the ceiling.

PolarCathy
May 18th, 2013, 03:43 AM
Unless you can think of any functional issues besides the training of being very tall, I think I'd take being tall. Eye contact doesn't happen either way, clothes don't fit either way, and I'd much rather look thin (and be able to eat more, as a general rule taller people need more calories) than fat.

Add boyfriend to the "doesn't happen" list :p

It is true I can eat more, actually I have to. My maintenance level (in calories) is ridiculously high.

Anabell
May 18th, 2013, 03:43 AM
I notice this thing long time ago! I was complaining about that a lot when I was start grow it out. But now I can see the benefits of it- you can grow your hair longer without it bother you. For example- when your hair will be 40'' it will be O.K for you because you are tall and it still won't touch the ground when you bent over, but for your friend it already will be annoying in these length. So you high it's actually a benefit because you have more distance from the ground.

As for hair sighting- I actually see the difference between the same mark bodies on different people (hope it's make sense). In some times even APL look to me longer than it usually looks, or some times there some girls with waist length hair that their hair looks short for some reasons. I thing this differences is due to different body shapes and different proportion between the body marks.
I'm 5'7'' and already at classic length- you just need to be patient.

kaydana
May 18th, 2013, 03:51 AM
Wow I just checked. I have 10cm (4") over my extended arms to the ceiling.

I have high ceilings, there's 4 FEET between my extended arm and the ceiling. There's about 1.5 feet between my extended arm and the line that runs around the room at "normal" ceiling height.

The light hangs down pretty far, but even stood on a chair I'm two inches too short to change the bulb.

PolarCathy
May 18th, 2013, 03:55 AM
Okay then there's nothing wrong with your height (or with mine), we just have to swap apartments (and countries)! :rollin:

Oh God I could finally have a normal pull-up bar and I wouldn't have to bend my legs at knee, only to still almost smash it into the doorsill. :crush:

ETA: or what do you call that thing, threshold?

I have high ceilings, there's 4 FEET between my extended arm and the ceiling. There's about 1.5 feet between my extended arm and the line that runs around the room at "normal" ceiling height.

The light hangs down pretty far, but even stood on a chair I'm two inches too short to change the bulb.

kaydana
May 18th, 2013, 04:08 AM
Okay then there's nothing wrong with your height (or with mine), we just have to swap apartments (and countries)! :rollin:

Oh God I could finally have a normal pull-up bar and I wouldn't have to bend my legs at knee, only to still almost smash it into the doorsill. :crush:

ETA: or what do you call that thing, threshold?

Might make my commute to uni a bit hard, but other than that it sounds like a great idea!

I just thought of an advantage of being short, I laugh at "mind your head" signs. My head clears "low" ceilings by miles.

Annibelle
May 18th, 2013, 07:22 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that 5'3" isn't short, but smack in the middle of average? :oops: Really, though, I feel like I'm the same height as everyone else, until I look at photos. I must have small dog syndrome...

lapushka
May 18th, 2013, 07:30 AM
IMO it depends on the length of your torso, not your overall length. Some are tall with a long torso and shorter legs, some are tall with a short torso and very long legs - it depends.

woodswanderer
May 18th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Annibelle, I think I have small dog syndrome too. I am always thinking I am about as tall as my DH, until I stand right next to him. I'm 5'3" and he is 5'8".

Kherome
May 18th, 2013, 09:42 AM
5'3 is way short. Average doesn't start until 5'5 IMO, with tall starting at 5'9. Though clothing designers seem to think tall means 5'7 which is very average in my opinion.

leslissocool
May 18th, 2013, 10:06 AM
5'5 is average, 5'7 on women starts getting tall. That's the minimum height on models, right?

At 5'1 average people are taller so... I have a skewed perception! Maybe that's why I like to hang out with kids more than adults :lol:, they are way less intimidating.

PolarCathy
May 18th, 2013, 10:07 AM
...clothing designers seem to think tall means 5'7 which is very average in my opinion.

ditto
----------

Kherome
May 18th, 2013, 10:09 AM
5'5 is average, 5'7 on women starts getting tall. That's the minimum height on models, right?

Not necessarily. Years ago when I worked in modeling there were plenty of girls below 5'7...even below 5'5. And the idea of 5'7 being tall is merely some arbitrary clothing mark, such as "tall length" is for 5'7 and up. (Up to maybe 5'9 or 5'10 unless you have short legs) I think reality is somewhat different from what clothing designers have made up to suit themselves.

AMD
May 18th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Not necessarily. Years ago when I worked in modeling there were plenty of girls below 5'7...even below 5'5. And the idea of 5'7 being tall is merely some arbitrary clothing mark, such as "tall length" is for 5'7 and up. (Up to maybe 5'9 or 5'10 unless you have short legs) I think reality is somewhat different from what clothing designers have made up to suit themselves.

I would actually say that 5'7 is the BARE minimum for modeling, and if you are 5'7 you have to be amazingly gorgeous. For most major agencies, 5'8 is the minimum that they hire for. 5'9 for runway.
I have a friend who is 5'8 and models, she never gets booked for runway, even with shoe inserts :)

I tend to have issues with "tall jeans". The brands I buy from make them for women 5'11 and up, so I end up altering or bunching the leg bottoms. But it is nice to be able to dry them without fear of intense shrinkage in the dryer.

leslissocool
May 18th, 2013, 10:21 AM
I'm pretty sure 5'7 goes into above average in the US.

This chart shows (http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/publish/height-chart.shtml)that 5'5 tends to be pretty much average in most of the countries ( 5'5 and under), a minority have 5'6 women in their average. So 5'7 is above average according to statistics unless you are in the Netherlands or other countries.

Kherome
May 18th, 2013, 10:35 AM
If it makes someone feel better to think they are closer to "average" or so called "clothing tall" it doesn't bother me. :)

I am still friends with a few gals from my modeling days, one of which is 4'9" and she has never had a lick of trouble getting jobs. She's beautiful and charming all in her tiny package.

glitterbean
May 18th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Ok I have to chime in here. I don't ever post, but this is driving me crazy.

I'm 6'3". My hair is just past waist, and looks awesome because it is so much more hair than on an average woman. And I have the frame to hold it. APL/BSL can be places where it feels like hair "stalls" for everyone.

Now about dating. My SO is 5'3". Did I think as a young girl I would end up with a man a FOOT shorter than me? No. Was it something I thought I would be attracted to? NO. But here I am. We have a darling little boy who we love to guess how tall he will be.

After a few crappy relationships with men "proportionate" to me I started being attracted to people for who they are, and not what they look like. And that's a cliche, but that's how it is. You are the one keeping yourself in a cage saying who you can or cannot date.

I love my little man and our family, I love wearing 6 inch heels whenever I want- and they even make cute ones in my size 12! I love my reeeeeally long hair. I love being tall. There are a lot of things I don't like about myself, but I'm going to focus on the things I can do something about; not whine about poor me I'm so tall.

People come in all shapes, sizes, and abilities. None are inherently better. They all have advantages and disadvantages. I have heard my average size friends complain that their size always sells out first!

AArgh sorry to rant a bit, it just gets my goat to see someone say life sucks for the tall.

Kherome
May 18th, 2013, 10:54 AM
My dear hubby is 6" shorter than me :) I too find it kind of unpleasant when someone says they can't date a man shorter than they are. That is exactly the same as saying you won't date "fat" people or "blond" people. I picked my friends and my SO by personality, how good they are on the inside, not a silly physical characteristic.

Because of a health issue I can't wear heels but I used to, and my hubby was never, ever bothered by that nor was I. He calls me his Amazon :)

leslissocool
May 18th, 2013, 11:09 AM
If it makes someone feel better to think they are closer to "average" or so called "clothing tall" it doesn't bother me. :)

I am still friends with a few gals from my modeling days, one of which is 4'9" and she has never had a lick of trouble getting jobs. She's beautiful and charming all in her tiny package.

It's not that it makes someone feel better, at least for me it certainly doesn't :lol: I'm below average no matter what country I go to! Maybe China, which I'll be visiting soon. It's just that in reality, although there is variation, are about 5'5 and 5'7 is considered tall, not average. It's above average, weather is a few inches/cm or not...

AMD
May 18th, 2013, 11:12 AM
That is awesome Kherome and glitterbean!
Seriously.

neko_kawaii
May 18th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Have to find someone taller than you to date. What nonsense.

There was a girl on my high school volleyball team whose head barely reached the bottom of the net when standing. She was the most amazing setter the league had ever seen. My undergraduate adviser was the most imposing lady I have ever met. You didn't mess with her. It was a shock to meet her walking down the hall and discover she was about four feet tall.

Short people do amazing things, tall people do amazing things. And even people of average height have to compensate for our physical limitations. Figuring out where you fit in, asking for help when needed and giving help when asked, that's just life.

lunalocks
May 18th, 2013, 03:15 PM
les - in China you will be eye to eye with everyone, as I was in Holland. It is an amazing feeling.

That said - my darling sister in law, 5'8'', has a BF who is a foot shorter than she is. She doesn't have a problem with it. What was important to her was to find someone she could share her life and many similar activities with (triathlons, long bike rides) and who she could connect with. He doesn't have a problem either, not even when he visits her extended family and all of us tower over him.

chen bao jun
May 19th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Ok I have to chime in here. I don't ever post, but this is driving me crazy.

I'm 6'3". My hair is just past waist, and looks awesome because it is so much more hair than on an average woman. And I have the frame to hold it. APL/BSL can be places where it feels like hair "stalls" for everyone.

Now about dating. My SO is 5'3". Did I think as a young girl I would end up with a man a FOOT shorter than me? No. Was it something I thought I would be attracted to? NO. But here I am. We have a darling little boy who we love to guess how tall he will be.

After a few crappy relationships with men "proportionate" to me I started being attracted to people for who they are, and not what they look like. And that's a cliche, but that's how it is. You are the one keeping yourself in a cage saying who you can or cannot date.

I love my little man and our family, I love wearing 6 inch heels whenever I want- and they even make cute ones in my size 12! I love my reeeeeally long hair. I love being tall. There are a lot of things I don't like about myself, but I'm going to focus on the things I can do something about; not whine about poor me I'm so tall.

People come in all shapes, sizes, and abilities. None are inherently better. They all have advantages and disadvantages. I have heard my average size friends complain that their size always sells out first!

AArgh sorry to rant a bit, it just gets my goat to see someone say life sucks for the tall.
Love this. I am petite--not very petite but petite at 5 ft 3 with a small frame. My mom is about 5 ft 9. My dad was 5 ft 5 or so. they were a gorgeous couple. Their 4 children, me, my sister (5 ft. 6), brother #1 (6 ft. 3) brother #2 (6 ft. 7)
there are many sucky things in life--being tall, even super tall is not one of them. There are many very beautiful tall women. Also, short men tend to LOVE tall women. I always think it is a shame that so many tall women write them off with the mistaken idea that the man needs to be taller.

chen bao jun
May 19th, 2013, 12:14 PM
double post, sorry

chen bao jun
May 19th, 2013, 12:22 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that 5'3" isn't short, but smack in the middle of average? :oops: Really, though, I feel like I'm the same height as everyone else, until I look at photos. I must have small dog syndrome...
Theoretically the 'average' woman in the US is 5 ft. 4 but this includes all ages, I believe. I'm 5 ft 3 and its definitely on the shorter side. and I definitely do better in petite clothes and dressing as a petite (no large prints, no horizontal lines, etc.) clothes are made for women who are 5 ft. 6 nowadays--2 inches taller than that and all your pants legs and sleeves are short, 2 inches shorter and clothes are drowning you.
It's not just clothes, either. Things are tailored to taller people in recent years (as well as larger people width-wise). I got a new dining room set and my legs dangle off the chairs. I don't want to remodel my kitchen because when I go into newly remodeled kitchens, it hurts to use the counter tops--too high. Plus, people constantly TELL me I'm small and describe me as ' a little thing' or 'a little woman'. And not just my family, either (my mom is very tall and my brothers both way over 6 ft).

chen bao jun
May 19th, 2013, 12:28 PM
I'm pretty sure 5'7 goes into above average in the US.

This chart shows (http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/publish/height-chart.shtml)that 5'5 tends to be pretty much average in most of the countries ( 5'5 and under), a minority have 5'6 women in their average. So 5'7 is above average according to statistics unless you are in the Netherlands or other countries.
5 ft. 7 is above average but it is perceived as ideal nowadays. Women used to be supposed to be petite but now they are supposed to be tall, leggy and slim. Young women seem to want to be 5 ft 7 and 5 ft 8--and to weigh 110 lbs at that height (sigh). Its what tv shows us as being pretty and desirable.
There's a narrow window--because I meet few girls who want to be 5 ft 9 or taller.
I think is so absurd that the ideal is so narrowly defined. Beauty is not so one size fits all, nor should it be.

chen bao jun
May 19th, 2013, 12:34 PM
IMO it depends on the length of your torso, not your overall length. Some are tall with a long torso and shorter legs, some are tall with a short torso and very long legs - it depends.Yes, proportions on all people vary. All can look good if you learn how to dress for what your proportions are. There are books which help with this.
In my case, I'm short and very longwaisted, with short legs. I look good, because I'm also somewhat busty. If I were short and shortwaisted and busty, my bust would be to my navel or below by now--not very attractive. but although it doesn't matter matter visually and I look fine (at least, since I learned how to dress myself and not copy the clothes of models in fashions magazines who are all six inches taller than I am), I have terrible trouble buying pants. the legs on even petite pants are way too long for me, and no, it's not always possible to have them hemmed up and still have the pants look nice. I rarely wear pants for this reason--I live in skirts and in shorts.
I have a friend who is 5 ft 8 and has to buy her jackets in petites because all her height is in her legs and she has a short torso and short arms. She also looks just fine when properly dressed.

Savvyhorsez
May 19th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Yes, I as calculate it on how long someone's hair would be on me, or vice versa as I'm about 5'10 and waist on me is 36 inches.

Annibelle
May 19th, 2013, 01:03 PM
Yes, proportions on all people vary. All can look good if you learn how to dress for what your proportions are. There are books which help with this.
In my case, I'm short and very longwaisted, with short legs. I look good, because I'm also somewhat busty. If I were short and shortwaisted and busty, my bust would be to my navel or below by now--not very attractive. but although it doesn't matter matter visually and I look fine (at least, since I learned how to dress myself and not copy the clothes of models in fashions magazines who are all six inches taller than I am), I have terrible trouble buying pants. the legs on even petite pants are way too long for me, and no, it's not always possible to have them hemmed up and still have the pants look nice. I rarely wear pants for this reason--I live in skirts and in shorts.
I have a friend who is 5 ft 8 and has to buy her jackets in petites because all her height is in her legs and she has a short torso and short arms. She also looks just fine when properly dressed.

That's my situation. :oops: I agree, it looks really awful... not anything I can do about it without removing my breasts, though, so I'm doomed to a life of being unattractive. :lol:

Immera
May 19th, 2013, 01:16 PM
You can go to a grocery store and reach the top shelf. - 4'11'' here. You can walk farther with fewer strides. Now tell me that's not an advantage. On the hair thing ... yeah so your torso is longer. Stop measuring and let it grow.

humble_knight
May 19th, 2013, 01:30 PM

Kudos to you and your husband....

You remind me of a 4'10" man I knew in eastern Europe. He tried the whole thing of looking for small women, but women in that part of the world are usually tall. After years of no luck, he did find a woman who liked him for who he was. She was 6'1". They got looks from people when out and about because it was rare to see a woman with a significantly shorter partner. I admired their strength to face the criticism and taunts from naysayers.

lilalong
May 19th, 2013, 01:51 PM
I'm tall. Over the years I went from hating it and wishing to be shorter to appreciating and liking my height.

It's hard to find clothes that fit well, but once I do find them, they look amazing.

Nae
May 19th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Tall here too. Advantage is I can do buns at "shorter" lengths so to speak. Like BSL instead of waist. DH is two or three inches shorter than I. It is what it is. Not much to be done about it so I just keep growing. =)

Alun
May 20th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Not a girl. Or an American. Back home in England average height is 5'3" for a woman and 5'9" for a guy, which is considerably shorter than here in the US, maybe because more Americans are of German and Russian descent than British. I'm 5'8" with very short legs for my height. Worst of both worlds - long way for my hair to grow but I'm not tall.

lunalocks
May 20th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Where I live in the Northwest of the US, there are many Scandinavian descendants here, so the average height is taller than the rest of the country. I realized that after visiting NY city.

leslissocool
May 23rd, 2013, 10:40 PM
Where I live in the Northwest of the US, there are many Scandinavian descendants here, so the average height is taller than the rest of the country. I realized that after visiting NY city.

I'm in the Northwest and yes, absolutely. I'm by far the shortest of the moms at my kid's school. Back in SoCal specially in the area I lived there were so many Asians and I felt right at home, my neighbor was under 5 feet. Now I think I'm the shortest on the block :couch:. It's a bit scary.

Now for major hijack, going to a pagan metal concert where EVERYONE is over 6ft tall in my area is really, really intimidating. But oh the pretty long hair! :crush: it's like surfing in a sea of honey colored hair here. Gorgeous.

PolarCathy
May 23rd, 2013, 10:42 PM
Well I live in Scandinavia (as an immigrant) and I'm still taller than average. I'd say much taller (2-3"+ among women)

FuzzyBlackWaves
July 11th, 2013, 06:31 AM
I'm 6ft tall with a long everything and hair growth takes a fair while. Still, I think being a tall long hair is pretty impressive, so the end result is worth it - and if we can reach things off the top shelf, then shorter people should have a perk too right? ;P

Emanuelle
July 11th, 2013, 06:49 AM
I'm 5'9'', but that's mostly due to my legs. My upper body is of rather average height. So my bra strap, waist and hip lengths etc. are pretty average compared to other people.