PDA

View Full Version : A few questions about my hair (pics inside)

daredevil14
May 17th, 2013, 02:13 PM
I already posted my pics in the long-haired men thread but I thought like I need some answers, hence starting my own topic.

My main issue is in my 2nd pic in that internal area, it easily frizzes the next day, I don't have a satin/silk pillow case, I, however, had this magical idea 2 days ago, I have a non-cotton (satin I guess) short, I slept on it for 2 day now and guess what? My hair stayed the same in the morning, frizz barely returned! Anyway let me hear your thoughts, I am planning for waist-length, so how do you think my hair will continue to grow? (In terms of texture, shape and health). What exactly is my hair type? It also changes its color according to the light! Sometimes it's dark red, sometimes it's dark blonde, other times it's brown or black, why? (I like that though!) :D

One final note, I had 3 chemical straightenings in my 1st and a half year but I stopped that! (Now I am almost 3 years!) I regret that, maybe the frizz is because of that! I am currently using HEHH deep mask as a CO-wash with a cream as a leave-in, also HEHH sulfate-poo (once a week due to itching!).

Thanks! :D

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/7475/61625774.jpg

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/4863/23018165.jpg

Angelica
May 18th, 2013, 06:07 AM
Unfortunately I have no advice for your hair care regime, but I think it is gorgeous and I am bumping this post up so hopefully it will have more valid responses to it :)

KittyBird
May 18th, 2013, 06:23 AM
I don't have any advice either, but I gotta say that your curls are magnificent! :thud:

bo-peep
May 18th, 2013, 06:50 AM
I'm no help either, but great hair!!

lapushka
May 18th, 2013, 07:28 AM
Looks to me like you're in the 3s, a curly. I don't see anything out of the ordinary in your pictures. It's how it should be, IMMHO. Maybe try misting it with water on day 2 (re-wetting) and then smoothing some leave-in or regular conditioner in your hair (how much depends on your hair and the frizz factor).

Annibelle
May 18th, 2013, 08:06 AM
It looks perfect to me as-is! :cheer:

daredevil14
May 19th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Thank you all for the nice comments! :)

Now I am gonna post pics for "2nd hair day", I always feel stressed because of the frizz in the body and the not-as-perfect-as-1st-day curls!

Thoughts? Be honest please, is this bad-looking in general? I hate the feeling of "guy trying to grow his hair but it's not neat and it's messy"!

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/7838/79845981.jpg

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/8503/60438860.jpg

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/4670/81260499.jpg

Kiwiwi
May 19th, 2013, 10:47 AM
The second day hair looks good!
Maybe you could spritz some water on it in the morning to re-activate the curls. Scrunch em up a bit.

I suggest readt The Curly Girl Handbook. Your curls are already very nice but you'll learn some more about curly hair and how to treat it, etc. It -really- helped me appreciate and understnd my curls.

I think you are a 3b curly. Just like me.

Curlies are often seen as messy, frizzy, dry, unhealthy, etc. I guess this comes from curlies not understanding their own hair and brushing it while dry, etc. Making it look poofy and unruly. And lots of people just don't understand curly hair.
But curly hair is beautiful when treated well. And curly hair will always be a bit frizzy, unruly, etc. Comes with the hairtype and it's beautiful and fun and unpredictable :)

fairview
May 19th, 2013, 10:52 AM
One final note, I had 3 chemical straightenings in my 1st and a half year but I stopped that! (Now I am almost 3 years!) I regret that, maybe the frizz is because of that! I am currently using HEHH deep mask as a CO-wash with a cream as a leave-in, also HEHH sulfate-poo (once a week due to itching)

One final note, I had 3 chemical straightenings in my 1st and a half year but I stopped that! (Now I am almost 3 years!) I regret that, maybe the frizz is because of that! I am currently using HEHH deep mask as a CO-wash with a cream as a leave-in, also HEHH sulfate-poo (once a week due to itching!).

Perhaps. If a traditional hydroxide relaxer was used and your stylist was sloppy and overlapped when treating the new growth or was trying to get more than 50% curl texture removed by leaving it on longer and/or over manipulating the hair, this could be the root of your problem. During the course of straightening with traditional relaxers among other actions, a layer of cuticle is stripped off the hair. This is why chemically straightened hair is slightly finer diameter than the new growth. It also dramatically increases the porosity of your hair which gives it a greater ability to absorb moisture and cause the frizzies. When hair has a high degree of porosity and absorbs moisture it gets frizzy.

I would suggest investing in a salon quality keratin treatment. The only permanent fix for damaged hair is the shears but the keratin treatment will temporarily plug the holes reducing porosity and the hair's ability to absorb moisture and reducing friz potential. The other suggestion is to invest in a quality hair construction paste (the kind used to stand up mohawks). Buy the smallest container possible because the amount you use is so small that it will last you a lifetime or go bad before its all gone. When the friz starts showing up, squeeze no more than a pinhead amount onto one palm and emulsify. If you can see product there is too much. All you want is for your palms to be shiny. Now work some between your fingers and using your fingers start at mid-shaft and apply to the ends, work more between your fingers and repeat until you're satisfied. This is an example of how the exact wrong product used in an out of the box way solves a pesky problem.

Lastly I would recommend always to put your hair in a loose braid before catching the zzzs at night. If people with extensions don;t do this they get what you have but progress to a complete birds nest of tangles.