PDA

View Full Version : Split ends and damp bunning connection

meteor
May 16th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Ever since I discovered damp bunning, I've loved it as a way of keeping hair nicely moisturized and saving time instead of spending hours watching my hair dry.

But I just saw this video about ayurvedic hair care, and the guy says that split ends are caused by tying hair right after washing, instead of letting it dry, basically split ends happen from the fragility of hair in the moisture and heat after the wash. I was really surprised! I love damp bunning but I don't want to add more split ends.
Do you, guys, know anything about this?

Here's the video, by the way:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgN4nvMShDw
He starts talking about split ends only at 10:35.

lunalocks
May 16th, 2013, 06:19 PM
I would say, do what works for your hair.

ravenreed
May 16th, 2013, 06:25 PM
If damp bunning damaged my hair, it would have all broken off by now. When I wash my hair and put it up, it stays damp for most of the day. My hair benefits by being wet, rather than damaged by it.

maborosi
May 16th, 2013, 07:27 PM
I wear my hair damp as well. I guess I can sort of see the guy's point, but what about damp braiding and such?

In my experience, damp bunning or braiding makes my hair super soft and keeps everything smooth and shiny. I think the extra moisture is really good for my hair.

~maborosi~

HintOfMint
May 16th, 2013, 09:01 PM
I think he probably means lots of tight twisting and manipulation while WET, not to mention damaging methods of tying off hair. Damp hair, gentle twisting, and spin pins should be fine. I've damp bunned for years and my hair is fine. The only splits I get are from tangling and friction (I can tell because of where I get the majority of splits and tangles)

ravenreed
May 16th, 2013, 09:09 PM
Interestingly to me, these days I get few splits on the ends of my hair (which was my main problem when I joined LHC), and more of them a few inches up from the ends. I think the overall condition of my hair is much better, but because it is so long it has gotten fragile enough that any tangles are more likely to end up as split ends where the hairs wrapped around each other. Damp bunning or damp braiding helps prevent those tangles!

jeanniet
May 16th, 2013, 09:26 PM
I think if you're rough with your hair when it's wet, you can cause damage, but if you're gentle there's no reason why you can't bun it. I don't bun right after washing, but I often will have to put it up at some point in the drying process (lots of wind here, so it has to be contained if I go out), and I can't say that my hair's been particularly badly damaged at any length it's been. Just handle your hair carefully and it'll be fine.

melusine963
May 17th, 2013, 12:36 AM
I think he probably means lots of tight twisting and manipulation while WET, not to mention damaging methods of tying off hair. Damp hair, gentle twisting, and spin pins should be fine.

This is my guess, too. I get far more splits from detangling hair that has dried loose than I do from damp braiding or bunning.

tigereye
May 17th, 2013, 01:10 AM
I definitely find I get less splits from damp bunning. I think the thing that actually causes the most damage is detangling when wet, so I always detangle before I shower, and put it gently into a bun with my glass stick (or a braid with a soft scrunchie if I'm staying in). If I don't let it dry slowly over the day in a bun, my hair, especially my ends, gets rather dry, and if it gets dry, it splits and damages easier. Having my ends tucked up under a wet bun makes them one of the longest to dry, and keeps the moisture in better.

olivelover
May 17th, 2013, 02:22 AM
It's maybe a little strange, but my hair hates damp bunning or any kind of damp handling. Whenever I put it up before it's completely dry, it will end up being dry and brittle when I take it down, instead of being well moisturized. Same with damp oiling. I have figured out, my hair just has to be left alone until it's completely dry. I don't think I'm getting much splits from dry detangling either, but it's generally very easily detangled if I use sufficient amounts of conditioner.

furnival
May 17th, 2013, 03:20 AM
He makes some glib statement along the lines of: "(straight after washing)... If you tie it and keep it (tied?), that heat and moisture will cause split ends." This certainly isn't true for me- damp bunning has transformed my previously dry, split-prone hair. :p He also suggests applying amla powder to the scalp to treat splits- uh?
I'd treat this video the same way I treat anyone on the internet (or otherwise) telling me that something is so without offering to explain why.

alexis917
May 17th, 2013, 03:32 AM
My hair loves damp bunning! But everyone is different....

jacqueline101
May 17th, 2013, 07:27 AM
I don't see any harm in it.

meteor
May 17th, 2013, 09:01 AM
Thank you so much, everyone! :) Very reassuring!
When I do a damp bun, it's still wet at the end of the day, and it can take a whole other day in a bun to become almost dry. I think it's because I bun tightly... and I probably shouldn't.

I think he probably means lots of tight twisting and manipulation while WET, not to mention damaging methods of tying off hair. Damp hair, gentle twisting, and spin pins should be fine. I've damp bunned for years and my hair is fine. The only splits I get are from tangling and friction (I can tell because of where I get the majority of splits and tangles)
Thank you, HinOfMint. :) I think that's exactly the lesson I need to learn. My hair is thick and when it's wet, it's difficult for me to keep it all in place in a bun. As a result, I twist very tightly and torque hair toys aggressively, or the bun will fall apart. I consoled myself with the thought that at least I'm not detangling wet hair.
I think I'll be a lot more careful with how I bun or braid wet hair from now.

lunalocks
May 17th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Pulling tightly on wet hair can cause breakage because wet hair stretches and when it dries contracts. I used to damp bun with a scrunchie and the bun would move around a bit and I also used to too tightly french braid when wet. Both things caused me breakage and I had to stop.

kaydana
May 17th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Thank you so much, everyone! :) Very reassuring!
When I do a damp bun, it's still wet at the end of the day, and it can take a whole other day in a bun to become almost dry. I think it's because I bun tightly... and I probably shouldn't.

Thank you, HinOfMint. :) I think that's exactly the lesson I need to learn. My hair is thick and when it's wet, it's difficult for me to keep it all in place in a bun. As a result, I twist very tightly and torque hair toys aggressively, or the bun will fall apart. I consoled myself with the thought that at least I'm not detangling wet hair.
I think I'll be a lot more careful with how I bun or braid wet hair from now.

If you braid it loosely before bunning it, that should help to hold it together so you don't need to twist it very tightly. What hair toys are you using to hold it when wet? Maybe there's something else (like spin pins?) that could hold a looser style more securely for you.

meteor
May 17th, 2013, 12:27 PM
If you braid it loosely before bunning it, that should help to hold it together so you don't need to twist it very tightly. What hair toys are you using to hold it when wet? Maybe there's something else (like spin pins?) that could hold a looser style more securely for you.
Thank you, Kaydana!
I use hair sticks, as I think they are the safest and least damaging hair toys. But I still hear my hair snap when I'm doing a tight bun.
Yes, I braided my hair before damp bunning to keep it all together, but this way my hair pulled a lot in multiple sections on the first loop of the braided bun. But you are right in terms of the need to do it loosely. Whenever I do a loose braid or bun, I feel like I look too messy as the hair starts drying, so I end up re-doing it tighter. I'll be a lot more careful now. :)

meteor
May 17th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Pulling tightly on wet hair can cause breakage because wet hair stretches and when it dries contracts. I used to damp bun with a scrunchie and the bun would move around a bit and I also used to too tightly french braid when wet. Both things caused me breakage and I had to stop.
Thank you very much, Lunalocks! :) How do you dry your hair now? Just air-drying loose hair? Or any other methods?