PDA

View Full Version : Scary looking new heat styler

joflakes
May 15th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lxVbuyiW6A

It looks like it EATS UP YOUR HAIR! Waah!

The thought of that terrifies me...

millyaulait
May 15th, 2013, 03:21 PM
Whoa!

That would be too scary for me to use, but the end result is quite pretty. :)

Also I'm really intrigued as to how it works, not the suction per se, but.... how does it form the curl?

lapushka
May 15th, 2013, 03:29 PM
That looks like an accident waiting to happen. LOL. I somehow don't feel at ease watching that hair disappear into the styler.

Nightshade
May 15th, 2013, 03:31 PM
I don't think I'd want anything with a motorized spinning device. Can't wait until the scary mall kiosk people are after us with these.

faellen
May 15th, 2013, 03:50 PM
So weird how it just disappears into the styler! I have to admit, I'm a little impressed.

alyaziaaah
May 15th, 2013, 04:36 PM
:agape:shudder::run::couch:
just imagine there is a malfunction, it wont release the hair and the heat keeps on coming....:tmi::scared:

In2wishin
May 15th, 2013, 04:38 PM
This is what comes to mind:

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk315/eclctcmnd/n_jilbere_hair_braider_6337_zpse5b6d5db.jpg (http://s283.photobucket.com/user/eclctcmnd/media/n_jilbere_hair_braider_6337_zpse5b6d5db.jpg.html)

Yozhik
May 15th, 2013, 04:40 PM
It alarmed me! shudder:

When I used to curl my hair, I didn't find it too difficult to wrap the hair around the barrel, so I don't see the need for the suction thingy, which seems to me like it's a disaster waiting to happen.

:twocents:

Viola88
May 15th, 2013, 05:03 PM
The music scared the crap out of my cat who was sitting on my lap. No hair sucker for me :)

Vrindi
May 15th, 2013, 06:08 PM
I don't trust it.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 15th, 2013, 11:23 PM
Ah..no. Hair eating machine.

Neneka
May 15th, 2013, 11:26 PM
It looks like a hungry hippo. Scary.

joflakes
May 16th, 2013, 12:32 AM
Hungry hippo! :laugh:

I think it works using air somehow to eat it up but I'm with you all, no way I'm using that! Not least as it is £170!

Fantak
May 16th, 2013, 12:56 AM
Sorry double post >.>

Fantak
May 16th, 2013, 12:57 AM
I was actually pretty intrigued until I saw this video

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=BFdltMdgsb8

:o :o :o look at the steam/smoke coming off at 1:04 and 1:42. Hair is definitely not supposed to do that!

MaryMarx
May 16th, 2013, 01:46 AM
Haha, it's kind of cute.

Bagginslover
May 16th, 2013, 03:20 AM

:o :o :o look at the steam/smoke coming off at 1:04 and 1:42. Hair is definitely not supposed to do that!

Its definitely steam, the second time you can see it condensing on the casing of the machine, but still, its boiling the hair!! Not good!

cathair
May 16th, 2013, 04:45 AM

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk315/eclctcmnd/n_jilbere_hair_braider_6337_zpse5b6d5db.jpg (http://s283.photobucket.com/user/eclctcmnd/media/n_jilbere_hair_braider_6337_zpse5b6d5db.jpg.html)

Hehehe, I remember these! I thought they were the only way you could make rope braids when I was little. Never got to try one though.

"You get a little bit of steam, but that's nothing to worry about" he says in the second video :agape: I would be pretty worried, that looks like an awful lot of steam to me! They seem to be using it an awful lot closer to her head than in the first video too.

I'm not sure I agree that people would have these as well as straighteners. I don't really see how this is any quicker than using tongs either :/

millyaulait
May 16th, 2013, 05:17 AM

:shudder: Aaaack!

Sylvestrix
May 16th, 2013, 05:29 AM

...Is it horrifying to admit that I still have one of these? xD This new gadget scares the crap out of me...I get anxious enough using curling irons when I can actually see my hair, never mind one that eats it. Nice curls, but I'd be worried for anyone using it past maybe BSL o.o

Kiwiwi
May 16th, 2013, 05:57 AM
Wow, I must say I am impressed! Seems to work great!
I don't ever heat style so I won't use it (plus I have curls anyway, haha).
But yeah, it scares me, too! What if the hair gets stuck? Brrrr!! Scary!

lapushka
May 16th, 2013, 06:56 AM

He's leaving that device on for a *long* time, though!

Miss Maisie
May 16th, 2013, 07:17 AM
I don't even think that those curls look all that great. Call me old fashioned, but I can get perfect bouncy curls with pin curls :)

Kaelee
May 16th, 2013, 07:59 AM
YIKES!!! No, no, no, no, NO!

*puts her hair up to protect it from pushy mall kiosk people*

lillikins
May 16th, 2013, 08:25 AM
Very impressive and terrifying at the same time. I actually really like the result, but I don't think I'd be putting that thing near my hair.

Sylvestrix
May 16th, 2013, 08:32 AM
YIKES!!! No, no, no, no, NO!

*puts her hair up to protect it from pushy mall kiosk people*

If they jumped me with this thing it would be freaking armageddon. I've already had a war with those people- a good few years ago now, one of them attacked (yes, I'm using attacked!) me with one of those weird spider head massagers, and it got so tangled in my hair that it had to be cut out. Hell hath no fury, I swear >.< It's all these years later and I'm still angry about it, not even because I had to cut bits of my hair out, but because these people shouldn't be touching you without your consent in the first place. Grrrr. /Rant over, sorry for the derail!

Kherome
May 16th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Eeek no way, scary stuff that...

Kherome
May 16th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Can't wait until the scary mall kiosk people are after us with these.

This. This is why I don't go to the "mall" any more. It's full of crap and those survey people and the kiosk people..! The ones at the Israeli "dead sea spa" nail ones are the worst. (Around here anyway, last time I went to a mall, that is.)

joflakes
May 16th, 2013, 02:44 PM
This. This is why I don't go to the "mall" any more. It's full of crap and those survey people and the kiosk people..! The ones at the Israeli "dead sea spa" nail ones are the worst. (Around here anyway, last time I went to a mall, that is.)

YES! They are the worst here, too. I always say no...or run away, or pretend to be a minor...any excuse really!

jacqueline101
May 16th, 2013, 02:46 PM
Wow it's scary.

Coolcombination
May 16th, 2013, 04:09 PM

I used to have one of these, my hair knotted everytime!

Falcore
May 16th, 2013, 07:32 PM

LOL! So true!!

akilina
May 16th, 2013, 09:28 PM
Its super interesting and intriguing!! But oh so scary to me too lol! I can only imagine what some sort of freaky malfunction would result in.

I don't think I would even feel comfortable using it on someone.. Maybe a doll head though they seem impartial and don't mind much ;).

Lovelyharper
May 16th, 2013, 09:43 PM
I would be so afraid of my hair getting sucked in and tangled around something it shouldn't.

Kaelee
May 16th, 2013, 10:35 PM
YES! They are the worst here, too. I always say no...or run away, or pretend to be a minor...any excuse really!

I just don't make eye contact and keep walking. Works every time.

One time I was at an event though, and this "eco friendly spa" had a booth there- the guy kept coming up to me and hounding me about letting him chalk my hair. I wouldn't give in. He approached me 3 or 4 times to hound me about it. I was getting REALLY fed up.

joflakes
May 17th, 2013, 12:06 AM
Its super interesting and intriguing!! But oh so scary to me too lol! I can only imagine what some sort of freaky malfunction would result in.

I don't think I would even feel comfortable using it on someone.. Maybe a doll head though they seem impartial and don't mind much ;).

Haha...well if you ever manage to try it out on a doll, let us know the results!

I just don't make eye contact and keep walking. Works every time.

One time I was at an event though, and this "eco friendly spa" had a booth there- the guy kept coming up to me and hounding me about letting him chalk my hair. I wouldn't give in. He approached me 3 or 4 times to hound me about it. I was getting REALLY fed up.

Ugh. That sounds horrible...it'd really bug me. I think to myself..'if I WANTED to look, I would!' and sometimes I may have said the same to the guy on the stall, haha :laugh:

Kaelee
May 17th, 2013, 07:17 AM
Ugh. That sounds horrible...it'd really bug me. I think to myself..'if I WANTED to look, I would!' and sometimes I may have said the same to the guy on the stall, haha :laugh:

If he does it this year I'm complaining to the event coordinator (a huge thug-looking guy who's actuqllg a total sweetheart ;))

anitacs9101
May 20th, 2013, 07:45 PM
I tried this on my hair the other day for my dance recital! It's really nifty actually but you have to be careful because your hair can get caught in it (mine did!!) if you don't have all your hair in between the crevice in the device. I only tried it on one piece of hair and a few strands got ripped out lol

Audhumla
May 21st, 2013, 02:09 AM
Being someone with very fine fragile hair this makes me cringe just looking at it.
No way would my hair come out of that in one piece even disregarding the heat damage.

Jorja
May 21st, 2013, 02:34 AM

That made me giggle :D

No way I'm letting it near me.

AnnaB
May 21st, 2013, 03:31 AM
:O I agree with lapushka that's an accident waiting to happen. AND she seemed to hold the hair in there for a while, every second gone by I was thinking 'LET IT OUT' haha

LadyCelestina
May 21st, 2013, 09:58 AM
When the device sucked in the lady's hair,well that made me cringe!

joflakes
May 21st, 2013, 10:41 AM
It reminds me of sucking spaghetti into my mouth as a child! :laugh:

Audhumla
May 21st, 2013, 10:56 AM
Oh goodness. . .after watching OP's video I followed a few links and got to this
www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHigluxBi48
WARNING:
Rated E for Eww. Contains graphic backcombing and then backcombing . . . with a flat iron.
Followed by a(n un)healthy dose of hairspray

cathair
May 21st, 2013, 11:57 AM
Oh goodness. . .after watching OP's video I followed a few links and got to this
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHigluxBi48
WARNING:
Rated E for Eww. Contains graphic backcombing and then backcombing . . . with a flat iron.

omg :agape: it's horrific! I can't think what else she could have done to hurt that hair! I don't particularly like the end result either, I don't think it was worth it.

Edit: if the link above doesn't work, this one might: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHigluxBi48

Audhumla
May 21st, 2013, 07:11 PM
Ah oops.
Thanks I fixed it now.
Yeah it's pretty sad to watch especially since when they start that girl has already had her hair curled with an iron and teased. They use that girl for a lot of their videos. Her hair must be hurting.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 21st, 2013, 09:16 PM
Ohh... dry, backcombed, frizz, - what more can she do to damage the model's hair? This is horrific hair treatment.

Fairlight63
May 21st, 2013, 09:17 PM
That looks too scary to me! I remember that video of the girl curling her hair & burning it off.

Audhumla
May 21st, 2013, 09:25 PM
This is horrific hair treatment.

But it's like "so editorial".
I for one, am convinced :rolleyes:

Bunnysaur
May 21st, 2013, 09:36 PM
While I was visiting my grandparents last week, I came across a styling tool that looked like a clipless curling iron, but it had plastic spikes all over it!

I don't think I'd want anything with a motorized spinning device. Can't wait until the scary mall kiosk people are after us with these.

I got my hair stuck in my epilator the other day! This thing is a definitely no go.

LadyCelestina
May 22nd, 2013, 04:37 AM
While I was visiting my grandparents last week, I came across a styling tool that looked like a clipless curling iron, but it had plastic spikes all over it!

I got my hair stuck in my epilator the other day! This thing is a definitely no go.

That's actually a pretty normal tool from what I can imagine.It's still used here sometimes.Actually my mom uses it regularly.
I have always wondered how come people use it and don't get their hair stuck around it :bigeyes:

Coolcombination
May 22nd, 2013, 06:31 AM
WARNING:

The model looks unhappy throughout! That back combing must have been torture. Can you imagine brushing her hair after that?!

oktobergoud
May 22nd, 2013, 06:37 AM
I literally 'screamed' EEK out loud when I saw it haha! :tmi:

millyaulait
May 22nd, 2013, 07:01 AM
WARNING:

OMG. I have never ever cringed while watching a hair video before. :scared:

KittyBird
May 22nd, 2013, 07:15 AM
That's actually a pretty normal tool from what I can imagine.It's still used here sometimes.Actually my mom uses it regularly.
I have always wondered how come people use it and don't get their hair stuck around it :bigeyes:

My mom had one of those and I tried it several times when I was younger. I have no idea how other people can get it to work either, because every time I tried it, my hair tangled so badly that I almost had to cut the thing out of my hair! shudder:

WilfredAllen
May 22nd, 2013, 02:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knCcKILG97w

something about it reminds me of a microwave lol

alyaziaaah
May 22nd, 2013, 02:59 PM
horrible! never ever ever brrrrr:couch:

joflakes
May 22nd, 2013, 03:11 PM
WARNING:

SHUDDER SHUDDER SHUDDER

I don't understand why you'd want to actually do that to someone. The poor girl...

VanillaTresses
May 22nd, 2013, 04:17 PM
Yeah, I feel totally the same lapushka! If I can get my hair stuck on a round brush then somehow I am sure it could get stuck in there. And Nightshade, I agree. Those mall kiosk people go after anyone with long hair. I have mastered the "look away and walk faster" dance so as to avoid.

akilina
May 22nd, 2013, 09:08 PM
I have something to share... I used one of these today actually. It was on display at cosmo prof because they are the only ones who will be selling it for a few months...

I thought it seemed scary at first and didn't want to try it out on the doll head but she convinced me lol. It was definitely interesting. But no. It doesnt just suck up and woosh your hair away. There is only one part where you can put the hair in and no where else. It won't work if its not in the right spot. There is a cylinder in the middle, and then the plates around it. I really scoped it hard and asked alot and it really doesn't seem that it could wind hair up in anything or destroy hair.

Would I use it on clients? No. I hate the curls it makes. They aren't very cute and they dont go to the scalp. At best you can get a few inches away but its like straight then the curl comes in. I don't like that. I also, even though I saw how the unit really is, would not feel very comfortable using it. Its actually really fun to use though.

Kaelee
May 22nd, 2013, 09:46 PM
WARNING:

OK so...why would she want her hair to resemble the tail of a road-killed squirrel?

The only time I've ever seen that texture on human hair was one of my classmates in middle school. She had damaged her hair SO BADLY that one piece took on the texture of fluffy wool.

spirals
May 22nd, 2013, 11:29 PM
"Fluffy wool"--I see that on a few heads a week. Do women not know that hair is not supposed to look like fur?

joflakes
May 23rd, 2013, 12:29 AM
"Fluffy wool"--I see that on a few heads a week. Do women not know that hair is not supposed to look like fur?

:spitting:

Fur! :laugh: hahaha...

LadyCelestina
May 23rd, 2013, 06:38 AM
^^^ My fur took offence :demon:

:laugh: :puppykisses:

Kaelee
May 23rd, 2013, 08:37 AM

Oh when I saw it I couldn't believe it. The girl had longish (APL I think) blond hair, straight (or straightened), not course or frizzy...except for this one piece hanging down in the back was...floofy and matted. It looked exactly like the wool on a mandala that my grandmother used to have. Like this: http://img2.etsystatic.com/000/0/5619057/il_fullxfull.270110126.jpg

I don't know WHAT she did to get it to look like that and I'm thinking...doesn't she know?

MaryO
May 23rd, 2013, 11:37 AM
Oh dear- looks very scary! They results are rather nice but nothing you can't achieve without heat and a bit of patience...

Jorja
May 23rd, 2013, 12:02 PM
WARNING:

At 1min33 - "Start brushing it out, obviously from the bottom"- oh yeah, wouldn't want to damage that hair or anything :D

Ayjay
May 23rd, 2013, 03:52 PM
That is just weird and I don't understand how it doesn't tangle

Viola88
May 23rd, 2013, 04:13 PM
At 1min33 - "Start brushing it out, obviously from the bottom"- oh yeah, wouldn't want to damage that hair or anything :D

I caught that, too :D

When they switch to the first shot of the fluff look, I nearly spit out my snack, I was laughing so much.

Kaelee
May 23rd, 2013, 04:24 PM
I caught that, too :D

When they switch to the first shot of the fluff look, I nearly spit out my snack, I was laughing so much.

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around a hairstyle being 'editorial'- what does that even MEAN? :lol:

Ayjay
May 23rd, 2013, 04:24 PM
Oh gosh thats horrid. The poor girls hair looks like roving to spin into yarn. The end style is pretty and soft but not worth all that damage.

Miss Catrina
May 23rd, 2013, 09:15 PM
It's a little scary looking, BUT it is made by BaByBliss, a company with a good reputation and the choice of many stylists for heat appliances, which puts this above infomercial riff-raff. I'd probably try it but be scared the whole time.

Venefica
May 24th, 2013, 06:08 AM

That is what mace was made for my dear. :P

I am sure they have tested this up and down to avoid lawsuits so the machine is probably perfectly safe, but it all depends, if you have strong hair you want to keep at around shoulder to bra strap length like the model in the video then there is no problem, you can heat style as long as you are careful with it as you will cut off the damage you get as it grows, if you want classic or beyond however I doubt using such a tool is a good idea, at least not very often.

Kaelee
May 24th, 2013, 08:29 AM
That is what mace was made for my dear. :P

I am sure they have tested this up and down to avoid lawsuits so the machine is probably perfectly safe, but it all depends, if you have strong hair you want to keep at around shoulder to bra strap length like the model in the video then there is no problem, you can heat style as long as you are careful with it as you will cut off the damage you get as it grows, if you want classic or beyond however I doubt using such a tool is a good idea, at least not very often.

I actually wonder what would happen if you tried this on longer hair- I mean, most people using it are going to have BSL or shorter hair, right? I'm thinking waist or especially classic length hair might overwhelm it completely.

morrigan*
May 24th, 2013, 09:16 AM
She make model's hair look like a giant broom. I don't understand why around someone want to walk around with hair like that.

MrsGuther
May 24th, 2013, 09:50 AM
I shrieked real loud when I saw that thing suck the hair up!!

Venefica
May 24th, 2013, 02:19 PM
I actually wonder what would happen if you tried this on longer hair- I mean, most people using it are going to have BSL or shorter hair, right? I'm thinking waist or especially classic length hair might overwhelm it completely.

You are right, longer hair probably would overwhelm the machine but I guess you could do smaller sections. I do think the style made by this is nice and soft, but it is just not for me.

akilina
May 24th, 2013, 02:20 PM
I have something to share... I used one of these today actually. It was on display at cosmo prof because they are the only ones who will be selling it for a few months...

I thought it seemed scary at first and didn't want to try it out on the doll head but she convinced me lol. It was definitely interesting. But no. It doesnt just suck up and woosh your hair away. There is only one part where you can put the hair in and no where else. It won't work if its not in the right spot. There is a cylinder in the middle, and then the plates around it. I really scoped it hard and asked alot and it really doesn't seem that it could wind hair up in anything or destroy hair.

Would I use it on clients? No. I hate the curls it makes. They aren't very cute and they dont go to the scalp. At best you can get a few inches away but its like straight then the curl comes in. I don't like that. I also, even though I saw how the unit really is, would not feel very comfortable using it. Its actually really fun to use though.

I think this post got lost and no one really saw it. Its worth sharing though! And like I said...No I would never use it....it makes ugly curls...but I think you guys are sort of propagating these horror situations that won't happen.
Btw, there is no air that sucks anything up, it is just like a curling iron that does the work for you.