PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about Sesa Oil?

redtuss
May 15th, 2013, 06:21 AM
Hi guys!

I hope noone minds the fresh thread, all I could find in the search was year-old threads on Indian herbs for use on hair.

However this is more about one particular oil, the Sesa one. I ordered it on Ebay on a whim and can't quite figure out how it is affecting my hair, in terms of growth is too soon to say of course. When I researched it online I found a few people who experienced excessive shedding and some that loved it. Personally I love the smell and the feeling of the oil but am not sure if I am shedding more with it or not, when applied I lose a bunch of hairs but this I do with all oiling and massages so it's hard to conclude.

It also has proteins which my hair generally does not like so I'm not sure if I wanna keep using it (tried only a couple of times so far) but I figure that if it really makes hair grow faster and be happier I'd rather clarify every now and then. Maybe it's something that is more suited for people with coarser hair? I have fine hair.

Do we have more people here who tried this one oil and what did you think of it? :)

Anje
May 15th, 2013, 06:40 AM
Never heard of Sesa Oil... looks like it's a brand name?

Now sesame oil, I have known and loved. My hair likes it a lot, though I recommend getting the light-colored non-toasted variety unless you don't mind a strong, savory scent!

redtuss
May 15th, 2013, 06:47 AM
Never heard of Sesa Oil... looks like it's a brand name?

Now sesame oil, I have known and loved. My hair likes it a lot, though I recommend getting the light-colored non-toasted variety unless you don't mind a strong, savory scent!

D'oh at me, sorry - yes, it's a brand name, the manufacturer is called BAN Lab and it consists of a lot of different herbs that are supposed to encourage hair to grow and be healthy in ayurvedic medicine. Sesame oil works on my hairtips as well but I only had the spiced one hehe, smells like sushi when using it!

Here's a mile-long list of the ingredients:

• Datura Metal (Mahamohi)
• Eclipta alba (Keshraj)
• Triphala (Haritaki + Bibhitak + Amalaki)
Terminalia chebula retz (Haritaki)
Terminalia bellerica roxb (Bibhitak)
Embelica officinalis (Amalaki)
• Jasminum officinale (Chetika)
• Cirullus colocynthis (Gavakshi)
• Indigofera tinctoria (Kalkeshi)
• Centella asiatica (Saraswati)
• Abrus precatorius (Krishnala)
• Berberis aristata (Rasgarbh)
• Acorus calamus (Jatila)
• Lawsonia inermis (Henna)
• Glycyrrhiza glabra (Mulethi)
• Pongamiza pinnata (Chirbilvak)
• Azadirachta indica (Paribhadra)
• Saussurea lappa (Utpal)
• Nardostachys jatamansi (Tapasvini)
• Elettaria cardamomum (Sukshma)
• Ferriper oxidumnubrum (Mandoor / Sinhan)
• Dugdha (Milk)
• Sugandhit Dravya
Camphor (Karpur)
Cyperus rotundus linn (Nut Grass / Mustak)
Vettiveria zizaniodis linn nash (Khaskhas Grass Ushir)
Santalum album linn (Sandalwood / Chandan)
• Sesamum indicum Oil (Til Tail)
• Nilibhrungadi Tail
Eclipta alba (Bhrungraj)
• Triticum aestivum Oil (Godhuma Tail / Wheat Oil)
• Citrus medica Oil (Nimbak Tail)
• Cocus nucifera Oil (Sadafal Tail / Narikel Tail)

meteor
May 15th, 2013, 01:57 PM
I've been wanting to try this oil, but I have 12 different oils already (incl. 5 Ayurvedic mixes), and I want to use them as much as I can before they expire.
Please let us know how Sesa oil works for your hair! The ingredients look amazing!

What you are describing in terms of shedding a few hairs sounds like an inevitable part of any oil scalp massage, so I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless it gets worse or you shed overall more than usual.

Anje, it does contain some sesame oil ("Sesamum indicum Oil - Til Tail") among other oils. I love sesame oil on scalp: it's so nourishing and penetrates so quickly.

Achlys
May 15th, 2013, 06:27 PM
It seems to be a blend of sesame, cocnut and wheat germ oils with milk and a lot of herbs. I think the milk in it is the only source of protein, but I'm not entirely sure. Most of the herbal ingredients appear to be used to promote hair growth, especially in India. There isn't much information on some of them online, though, and some are more antibacterial and antifungal than stimulating. But I would definitely like to try it. :)

McFearless
May 15th, 2013, 08:55 PM
Could you please post a link to the store you purchased from? :) My hair is pretty nonexistent at this point, so I might as well have fun experimenting.

redtuss
May 16th, 2013, 10:10 AM
I've been wanting to try this oil, but I have 12 different oils already (incl. 5 Ayurvedic mixes), and I want to use them as much as I can before they expire.
Please let us know how Sesa oil works for your hair! The ingredients look amazing!

What you are describing in terms of shedding a few hairs sounds like an inevitable part of any oil scalp massage, so I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless it gets worse or you shed overall more than usual.

Anje, it does contain some sesame oil ("Sesamum indicum Oil - Til Tail") among other oils. I love sesame oil on scalp: it's so nourishing and penetrates so quickly.

Yeah, it's always nice to use the oils you have first :) Doing the same with my shea-oil, argan and thistle oils at the moment. Some shedding while rubbing in oil is normal but it felt like I lost a ton (but that may also have been since I had braids in during the night so there may have been some lost hair from just that and not the rubbing too), and some people online has reported that they got excessive shedding with sesa oil. I'll need to try a bit longer before I decide what to think :P

It seems to be a blend of sesame, cocnut and wheat germ oils with milk and a lot of herbs. I think the milk in it is the only source of protein, but I'm not entirely sure. Most of the herbal ingredients appear to be used to promote hair growth, especially in India. There isn't much information on some of them online, though, and some are more antibacterial and antifungal than stimulating. But I would definitely like to try it. :)

It is supposed to help with dandruff, shedding, hairloss and a lot of other conditions, I found some study linked via the manufacturers webpage that seemed to indicate that a majority of the patients had results after trying it but I wouldn't trust it blindly since I don't know how credible the source is. I don't have any dandruff and my scalp is rarely dry, the reason I bought the oil was because I bought coconut oil from the same seller on Ebay and thought "hey, why not?" ;)

Could you please post a link to the store you purchased from? :) My hair is pretty nonexistent at this point, so I might as well have fun experimenting.

I got it off Ebay, do a search for Sesa oil and you should get results :) The store/seller was called hairnbeautyshop11 on the .co.uk-site. According to the manufacturer and other sources online it is recommended when trying it for hairloss to do 2 massages per day with the oil and apply an amount that the scalp can absorb in 30 minutes or so. In the study ( http://www.banlab.com/Sesa_Hair_oil_Clinical_trial/home.htm ) they reported results with 2 daily massages for 30 minutes. Like I said above, the study is probably funded by the manufacturer, we don't know how strict and scientific it was so I would not believe it is the absolute truth, you need to be sceptical about these things. 30 minutes is a long time to massage your scalp so it may just be about the increased blood flow in the head as well, but it's supposed to be due to the herbs.

It probably won't hurt to try it, it's not overly expensive (4.99£+2.99£ p&p) and it smells really nice, I had it in my scalp and hair when I was out dancing last month and lots of people commented on how good I smelled even though they probably thought it was a perfume and not hair oil ;)

starlamelissa
May 16th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Sesa oil or snake oil? I am always leery of magic hair growth stuff! Coconut oil has had some testing on it, and seems to benefit the hair. I'd probably buy a jar of that before I'd try a mix. However if its cheap, and smells ok, I say go for it.

redtuss
June 3rd, 2013, 08:10 AM
Sesa oil or snake oil? I am always leery of magic hair growth stuff! Coconut oil has had some testing on it, and seems to benefit the hair. I'd probably buy a jar of that before I'd try a mix. However if its cheap, and smells ok, I say go for it.

It has coconut oil in it :) Nothing magic about it at all, I don't know if I have noticed any extra growth but it feels good on my scalp and smells lovely. Pure coconut oil doesn't really do my hair any good on the outside so that stuff I will just eat :)
About the herbs that is if you believe in ayurvedic philosophy/medicine or not, personally I'm not sure about it but at least it's probably not harmful.

ChloeDharma
November 1st, 2014, 03:40 PM
Well while doing my rounds at the Indian grocers I noticed this oil today and brought it as I have read good things about it before. The ingredients look good though the smell seems maybe a bit fragranced? I'd be really interested to hear any experiences with it, particularly regarding hair growth.

ChloeDharma
November 4th, 2014, 04:13 PM
No growth reports of course as it's only been days but I have used it lightly to massage my scalp and keep my hair smoothed. The smell is lovely once it's on. I certainly plan on using this oil regularly though am also using other ayurvedic oils so will not be able to say this one or another one is singularly responsible for any increased growth or thickness I might gain. I would say this is worth trying though.

Aunt Rapunzel
May 6th, 2017, 07:21 AM
I know I'm resurrecting an OLD thread here, but have any of you tried Sesa oil? I bought some about a year ago, and used it every Saturday until the bottle ran out. I LOVED how it made my hair feel. I felt like it did help with new growth, but I really didn't track it closely, as we were going through a lot with my dad's health at the time,
and that took precedence. I just ordered another bottle of it from eBay and I'm waiting for it to come. I'm looking forward to using it again!

Raktajino_hot!
January 9th, 2018, 05:16 PM
I just tried Sesa oil last night. It smells really strong, which is fine if you like that sweet floral kinda smell. It was a little strong for me, though. But want to keep trying it as part of my routine and see how it goes. It's hard to say after only one oil treatment and one wash, but we'll see! Are you supposed to use it on your scalp, ends, or both?